Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried to file for unemployment, because I resigned from my last job when they stopped paying me. I requested unpaid leave, my request was denied and then they locked me out of our timecard system. I worked for 3 more weeks emailing back and forth with Payroll and HR every day and they just told me they didn't see the issue. Two consecutive paychecks went unpaid so I quit and had to file an unpaid wages claim with the state industrial commission to get paid.

Okay so the way unemployment works here is you file for it, fill out a questionnaire online, and then they mail you the same questionnaire and you have to also fill out a physical copy and fax or mail it back to them. The timeframe is very strict, you have 5 days from the date that they sent it - not even 5 days from when you received it. So I filed on November 20th, they mailed out the paperwork on November 21st, and I had until November 26th to return it or else my claim is invalidated. But I didn't even get it until December 1st, when it was already too late. :smith: I got the email telling me that I missed the window before I even received the paperwork.

I don't even want to dwell on it b/c this kind of thing just keeps happening and has been the theme of the last 2 years so whatever I'm already putting it behind me but I wanted to vent about how dumb that is

this is incredibly dumb. did you contact the unemployment office and explain the situation? I realize that this may get you nowhere and I'm not saying you should spend your mental health hammering at a wall of bureaucracy but it's worth seeing if you can get in touch with a human being with a bit of rationality.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I tried to file for unemployment, because I resigned from my last job when they stopped paying me. I requested unpaid leave, my request was denied and then they locked me out of our timecard system. I worked for 3 more weeks emailing back and forth with Payroll and HR every day and they just told me they didn't see the issue. Two consecutive paychecks went unpaid so I quit and had to file an unpaid wages claim with the state industrial commission to get paid.

Okay so the way unemployment works here is you file for it, fill out a questionnaire online, and then they mail you the same questionnaire and you have to also fill out a physical copy and fax or mail it back to them. The timeframe is very strict, you have 5 days from the date that they sent it - not even 5 days from when you received it. So I filed on November 20th, they mailed out the paperwork on November 21st, and I had until November 26th to return it or else my claim is invalidated. But I didn't even get it until December 1st, when it was already too late. :smith: I got the email telling me that I missed the window before I even received the paperwork.

I don't even want to dwell on it b/c this kind of thing just keeps happening and has been the theme of the last 2 years so whatever I'm already putting it behind me but I wanted to vent about how dumb that is

I'm not sure why but for some reason this makes me think it's Florida. Maybe it was some news article I read, or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Anyway, that sucks, I'm sorry.

deep dish peat moss

I haven't. I think I can just file again either way which will start the 5-day mailing process again and I can have a response to the questionnaire pre-written, but it's probably more worth my time to just double down on the job search - I've been being pretty lazy about it :sweatdrop:

cruft

e: nevermind

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Running out of meds and the pharmacy having a back order on them suck. Was able to get a few of the prescriptions today after being without meds for the past 72 hours, but still missing two of them.

To say that I have been backsliding in my recovery is an understatement. It's just so frustrating, I tried to do the right thing and refill earlier but it was too soon for insurance to cover. And then when I was allowed to refill the pharmacy was out.

Just sucks.

cruft

I just realized last night that when somebody gives you a gift, you're expected to observe it and make some remark about it.

It took 47 years for me to figure this out, and it wasn't until cruft jr commented on how funny it was that the person literally read the title of the box of chocolates aloud and said "huh".

I guess people have probably been thinking I was pretty fuckin' weird about receiving gifts my entire life. I'd feel pretty self-conscious about this if I hadn't recently realized that when someone visits your house and brings a bottle of wine, they expect you to open it right there. We were piling up bottles of wine and wonder what the hell, we clearly have more than enough bottles of wine at this point.

I have no cringe left for myself about receiving gifts.

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
my husbamnd bought me tickets to see Louis Cole tomorrow :cheersdoge:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I realized I need to rock hop to another job and it’s bumming me out.

I sort of knew I would have to at some point after moving to the new house. My commute extended by quite a bit and that’s been a drag on all of us. And I haven’t been given the tools to do my job. I can’t hire anyone because the Human Resources department is a mess. I can’t review cameras for incidents or complaints because the security department refuses access to the cameras. There doesn’t seem to be any interest in promoting from within. It’s all just been getting tougher and tougher, wearing at the edges, making it harder to be in a solid place mentally to deal with my residents, all of whom have their own issues.

But the real kicker was recently when they almost forced me to work Christmas morning for some dumb misguided press event. Never in my life have I worked Christmas Day. My father was a homicide detective with the NYPD and he never worked Christmas Day. And the fact I almost had to go to war over it and maybe miss the morning with my family has me exhausted.

So off to sending out resumes and making calls I go.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Bo-Pepper posted:

I realized I need to rock hop to another job and it’s bumming me out.

I sort of knew I would have to at some point after moving to the new house. My commute extended by quite a bit and that’s been a drag on all of us. And I haven’t been given the tools to do my job. I can’t hire anyone because the Human Resources department is a mess. I can’t review cameras for incidents or complaints because the security department refuses access to the cameras. There doesn’t seem to be any interest in promoting from within. It’s all just been getting tougher and tougher, wearing at the edges, making it harder to be in a solid place mentally to deal with my residents, all of whom have their own issues.

But the real kicker was recently when they almost forced me to work Christmas morning for some dumb misguided press event. Never in my life have I worked Christmas Day. My father was a homicide detective with the NYPD and he never worked Christmas Day. And the fact I almost had to go to war over it and maybe miss the morning with my family has me exhausted.

So off to sending out resumes and making calls I go.

best of luck. you do important work and deserve better.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I hope I find something soon because the realization I need to go somewhere else set off a burnout bomb inside me, making dealing with with things here ... tougher.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I hope you find a new place soon, too, Bo-Pep. This hell world of job hunting sucks but it's something we have to do in order to keep doing the things we do to survive. And, I know you love helping people. And you're incredible at it. Be kind to yourself right now.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm so homesick that I started selling off stuff I don't need or want, just so I have an excuse to pack lighter in the next few months. I think I'm really going to do this. I just hope the other drastic life decisions work out, too.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Tl;Dr on this please don't click the spoilers if you are going to be upset by violence.

My sister's ex bf got out of jail and made a beeline to her house within an hour, kicked in the door, attacked her, strangled her, shoved potting soil in her mouth and tried to suffocate her. She was able to kick him in the balls and get away, ran down to the church and got the preacher man who called 911 and her ex took off on foot. His grandma picked him up and patched him up and hid him. They arrested him and his grandma, who apparently drove him there to commit the act.

My sister's jaw is broken, all her teeth are broken out, and her left orbital is shattered. Her neck is hosed up. Her left arm is broken. She will be ok physically with work but mentally she is not going to be ok for a very long time.

I am livid. This is the same one I clocked a long while back.

I am pushing on the state--a thing I don't do, you know me--about this and I have called in heavy lifters for this. All my favors are being cashed in and he's going to prison probably forever as is his mom and grandma because they helped orchestrate this.

I'm done. I'm angry and I don't get angry but you don't hurt people i love. I can tank. I can take a lot. You don't hurt my baby sister. This ends here. Don't hurt people.

Think good thoughts for my sister please.

more falafel please

forums poster

gently caress, i'm sorry. i've got complicated thoughts on the state and incarceration but i'm at least glad that hopefully you and your sister don't have to worry about this piece of poo poo anymore

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Manifisto

wow hamjobs that is hard-core horrible. sending my very best thoughts/vibes to your sister and you and hoping that her recovery, both physical and mental, is quick and thorough, and that she is troubled no more by these violent cretins.

ty nesamdoom!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

God that’s terrible, hamjobs. I hate that that happened. I’m glad your sister has someone like you in her corner though. Nurse her through it and kick all their asses.

Stoner Sloth

oh gently caress, i am so sorry this happened - sending good thoughts to you both and as bopep said glad she's got you in her corner. i hope that she's able to begin healing now physically and mentally even if it's a long road. much love to you and her

and wishing very unBYOB things upon the rear end in a top hat who did this but i'll just leave it at that

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Cardi BYOB posted:

Most definitely. And poo poo dude, that's heavy stuff. I know you're both strong enough to handle this, but that sentence doesn't take away what happened and not sure if it helps at all.

Ex sounds like he really want to see what the inside of Petosi looks like for the rest of his life.

teen witch
If someone even thought about doing that to my sister, save time and call the coroner. what happened is truly one of my biggest fears, and I’m so sorry you had to live it out. bury him under the jail for all I care. it doesn’t have to be the state to do it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thank you. Really. This is hosed.

She's physically just in really bad shape but will get better. They pulled the stumps of her teeth and are doing massive dentistry when she heals enough. Jaw is now immobilized. Orbital is stabilized. Arm pinned and cast on. Trachea has been stabilized. Lacerations stitched, massive antibiotics because of what he used on her to hurt her. This is my nightmare. This is exactly my worst fear, this is something I have been through a few times in a slightly different flavor myself.

I have never been this scared or angry and yet. I'm happy for her that maybe she's out now.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like what do you do when this happens but just try to do your job and keep pushing on people and take care of everyone and focus and eat food when you can and maybe make a joke when you can and then when you're in the shower you can scream.

more falafel please

forums poster

Cardi BYOB posted:

Like what do you do when this happens but just try to do your job and keep pushing on people and take care of everyone and focus and eat food when you can and maybe make a joke when you can and then when you're in the shower you can scream.

yeah, make sure you're taking care of yourself

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

Hi, I didn't have this thread bookmarked, I wonder what sort of glurge people have pos...

:stonk:

You have a right to be pretty dang mad, orb. That's horrifying.

I always feel like I want to help people in these situations, but there's not really anything I can do other than long-distance shoulder rubs, I guess. And make stupid jokes so that when folks feel like they need stupid jokes in order to take their mind off things, well, there they are.

ILU HJ

selan dyin

Cardi BYOB posted:

wishing your sister and your family all the best, what the gently caress that's terrible

biosterous

realized the depth of my current depressive episode when i noticed that i'm not excited about xmas

i loving love xmas and am usually super hyped about it

heck, orbs! heck!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've been told that if you simply, STOP being sad, you no longer will be. Have you tried doing that?

I didn't realize I had responded in the sincerepost thread! My brain had picked this as the general chat thread where such jokey responses are less poor...

Sorry about Xmas being a bummer this year. Hopefully the warmth of the BYOB crew can help spark some joy back.

It doesn't even feel like December here this year and it makes it almost surreal that it is Christmas time for me. Im.more dreading the January to come, I feel like my wife and I usually get a lousy post holiday crash.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 21, 2021

Stoner Sloth

biosterous posted:

realized the depth of my current depressive episode when i noticed that i'm not excited about xmas

heck, orbs! heck!

:glomp: fwiw merry xmas my friend, hope that it turns out better than expected but it's okay not to be feeling it

cruft

biosterous posted:

heck, orbs! heck!

My wife and I noticed we're not that excited about xmas either. But our reaction was like "huh, weird. I wonder why".

So, you're not alone in feeling this way, but also it doesn't need to bring you (further) down. Maybe it's something about lockdown, or the weather, or both.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
Christmas has always been A Big Deal to me, but less so this year considering everything.

Maybe next year.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Code Jockey posted:

Christmas has always been A Big Deal to me, but less so this year considering everything.

Maybe next year.

:glomp:

deep dish peat moss

My darling little kitty Oz has been limping lately and I got him into the vet hospital yesterday. It was a whole big complicated thing because it ended up being something totally unexpected, they kept him overnight. He has a condition that made one of his hip joints atrophy, which made muscles detach and for the last week he has had his femur rubbing bone-on-bone against his hip. They only caught it after studying the xray for quite a long time. I'm going to spend my christmas week administering pain medication drops to him from a little syringe but I am just glad we know what it is and that I was able to get him into a vet short notice (Most animal hospitals said they had 30+ day waits when I was calling around!!!) and that I have him in the first place.

He and I are basically surgically attached to each other, I adopted him during the pandemic while I was living alone and never leaving and we spent pretty much every waking moment playing or cuddling for the last 18 months, and jesus this is probably the most emotionally difficult thing I've ever been through watching him limp and suffer and hiss at the floor in pain for the last few days and I can't even think about it without tearing up. Next I need to schedule a surgery for him in the next few weeks to file away part of the femur and insert metal pins in to keep the bones from rubbing against each other and then there's going to be another six weeks of recovery where I'll still be syringe-feeding him pain meds and probably/possibly spoon feeding him and stuff and I just hate that he has to go through all of this without understanding it :smith: The vet wouldn't say he would make a "full recovery" but the surgery is apparently very effective at relieving pain and restoring some mobility. He is the absolute sweetest and most loving living creature I have ever met on this earth and auuuugh it's not fair :cry:

Anyway I was looking at pictures of him all day today while waiting to hear back from the vet so here are a few pictures of his sweet lil self so that this post isn't 100% sad :unsmith:

biosterous

My darling little kitty Oz

cats are so good and important and i am :wom:ing good vibes to your bud as hard as i can

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

Hey good luck in cat surgery!

Can BYOB get a potted plant to put by the recovery bed in the hospital? I've heard it really lifts cat spirits to have something to eat, dig up, or knock over while they're on the mend.

teen witch
my sister just showed up with her boyfriend and while it was to be a surprise (though I knew), I was in the shower and heard her actual voice not over a phone for the first time in two years. just ugly cried in the bathroom. I knew she was coming but like a whole bunch of emotions just clobbered me from nowhere, like my mind was like “let’s just process all this nnnnnnow”

it’s been a rough two years for her and she’s here and home and I just don’t want anything to hurt her again.

….and now I need to keep the bathroom clean and not engulfed in my makeup for a few days so help me

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

teen witch posted:

my sister just showed up with her boyfriend and while it was to be a surprise (though I knew), I was in the shower and heard her actual voice not over a phone for the first time in two years. just ugly cried in the bathroom. I knew she was coming but like a whole bunch of emotions just clobbered me from nowhere, like my mind was like “let’s just process all this nnnnnnow”

it’s been a rough two years for her and she’s here and home and I just don’t want anything to hurt her again.

….and now I need to keep the bathroom clean and not engulfed in my makeup for a few days so help me

You are a good sister and this was really touching 🙂

teen witch
well stop making it touching because now I gotta SHARE the car with her and this is BULLSHIT, MOM

cruft

teen witch posted:

well stop making it touching because now I gotta SHARE the car with her and this is BULLSHIT, MOM

LOL, siblings

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

teen witch posted:

:love: this is the good poo poo

straight into my veins

love u love ur sis

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Bingo Bango and I are both sick and decided that with everything up in the air and no ability to get rapid tests done on short notice the right thing would be to cancel our holiday travel plans, especially since my dad is very very ill and in extremely fragile health. So I called my mom to tell her and it went about as poorly as it possibly could. Things had been going really well between us since I came out to her and I feel like I just wrecked it all. At the end of the call I said "I love you" and she just hung up. I feel like such a loving rear end in a top hat.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

How Wonderful! posted:

Bingo Bango and I are both sick and decided that with everything up in the air and no ability to get rapid tests done on short notice the right thing would be to cancel our holiday travel plans, especially since my dad is very very ill and in extremely fragile health. So I called my mom to tell her and it went about as poorly as it possibly could. Things had been going really well between us since I came out to her and I feel like I just wrecked it all. At the end of the call I said "I love you" and she just hung up. I feel like such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Nah, dude. You know you're doing the right thing. Emotions are tricky and she is letting hers get the better of her right now. The alternative is you potentially give your dad covid and that's not the option you want.

Remember, every choice we make has good and bad consequences. We have to weigh them and make the right choice. To me, you made the right one.