Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's worse if you know history and can see the outlines of what's coming.

There's a reason I keep telling my friends to buy guns and get to know their neighbors.

Getting to know your neighbors is good, but unless your plan is to use that gun on yourself rather than being sent to a theoretical death camp, I'm not sure buying guns is that useful. You're not going to meaningfully resist the might of even the decrepit US government.
Build your local community, get a little food garden going, and live your best life until you die are all solid advice and plans though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Getting to know your neighbors is good, but unless your plan is to use that gun on yourself rather than being sent to a theoretical death camp, I'm not sure buying guns is that useful. You're not going to meaningfully resist the might of even the decrepit US government.
Build your local community, get a little food garden going, and live your best life until you die are all solid advice and plans though.

I use to agree, but...not so sure now.

A gun might not drive away the increasingly chud-captured government (who will likely just drone you anyhow), but it just might give some pause to your local Three-Percenter wannabe operators who think the worst you can do when they try to run you over is toss granola bars or demand a safe space.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tweet a picture of your bookshelves at them

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
All right, which one of you fuckers used the monkey's paw? Fess up.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/13/media/dr-oz-show-ending-senate/index.html

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 13, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VitalSigns posted:

Tweet a picture of your bookshelves at them

No bible on mine. No Ayn Rand or Bill O'Reilly either.

So I lose automatically.

Wasn't there some study or article done that discovered that something like 95% of RW books aren't actually purchased on Amazon or at B&N and are instead basically snatched up by think tanks in bulk to boost NYT seller lists and then given away to idiots? I've never seen anyone reading a popular RWM book out in the wild with the exception of Rand.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

No bible on mine. No Ayn Rand or Bill O'Reilly either.

So I lose automatically.

Wasn't there some study or article done that discovered that something like 95% of RW books aren't actually purchased on Amazon or at B&N and are instead basically snatched up by think tanks in bulk to boost NYT seller lists and then given away to idiots? I've never seen anyone reading a popular RWM book out in the wild with the exception of Rand.
Yes you have it. The RNC for example would buy up a bunch of copies. The author gets paid, the book ended up on a bestseller list, and the RNC has lots of free poo poo to give away or just re-sell.

Eventually the NYT said gently caress this and those kinds of books are no longer eligible for the bestseller lists.

Also thanks for your continued discussion on this topic. Today I upped my flouxetine to 60mg/day (once I pick up my scrip.) I recognize my thoughts have become obsessive. That is one of the reasons I reached out here. That is the state of my world, I turn to SA for advice because yesterday when I reached out to my old bass player, one of my last bastions of sanity, and found out that he also both sides BLM/Antifa with the fascists, and when I confronted him over their right to protest. I told them they had a right to not be killed and he said, "Mostly by each other." So I told him when a black person kills a black person they go to prison. If a cop kills a black kid they get a medal. Then I called him a loving idiot and hung up on him. So you can see I have no idea. I am torn between burning bridges or accepting vile thoughts like his into my life.

I know this could go a million different ways. I prefer to hold out hope the weeks of televised hearings I expect this Spring will at least solidify the resistance to Trump. I think it's too early to say for sure it's going to fail.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Gonna point out that in rural america material conditions have deteriorated severely. Maybe not to the point of revolution (fascist or otherwise) but desperate enough for a lot voters living there to vote for Trump even if they personally don't care for him. They just hate dems and "tradtional" republicans more. Washington/political insiders the most.

Not here to explicitly defend anyone voting for Trump, just pointing out the desperation.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
From my vantage point in a brick red state, it's not really material conditions driving people to the right. The people in truly desperate material conditions don't vote and never have. No, it's a desperate, enraged, terrified reaction against being told what to do (or just feeling like they're being told what to do) by people who aren't "us".

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
The key factor is the media they consume, the stories they're being told about the world outside their purview. If they were told different stories they would be different people, material conditions being the same.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Material conditions AND discourse they hear/participate in are both important parts of it.

There is/was a large amount of previously untapped voters (and potentially other political action) in the US. Social media exploitation was quite effective at getting at many such people and driving them to vote.

The gas and carbon taxes in Cali (and sales or other regressive taxes in general) are an example of something that are a huge drag on people in rural areas who have to drive fairly long distances to get anywhere or do anything. They're typical of politicians doing an ineffective minimum where the businesses pass on the cost of it to the consumer.

Sure, those taxes help a bit with the city air but ultimately they hurt people that don't deserve it and need help. But a hyperloop is coming to alleviate these problems so their pain is only temporary!

Other examples are deterioration of services (like roads and libraries), environmental disasters, lawlessness, drugs, unemployment and, yes, idpol, the fear of government taking their guns and other limitations on their "freedom." They think they are being looked down on by "elites" and city folk and crushed in favor of others, but particularly the rich.

There is a reason why RWM, social media exploiters and repunlican politicians have gone so hard on getting these disaffected people on their side and been so effective at it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
As an addendum- there are left wing and apolitical groups trying to help with rural problems, even providing education/books for free. Churches and charities do some stuff but they're incredibly distant from a solution. There are (quite few) democrats trying to appeal to and galvanize people there, which is not an easy task but the votes for unions, fair wages and jobs might be there to elect a rural democrat.

Solidarity over division.

Rural areas in the South include not just impoverished white communities but impoverished heavily black communities. In the Southwest, impovershied heavily Latino communities.

Driving through rural NM and seeing places without basic services like electricity or running water, few if any jobs outside of farm or ranching work, and it's not hard to see why alcoholism, drug addiction and other problems are such a huge issue there.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Lmaooooo it's not going to matter who tries to help them once the Cletuses decide they e had enough and stage even bigger 1/6s. There's honestly just no reason to have any kind of hope for good things to ever happen again. That's just naivety.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

From my vantage point in a brick red state, it's not really material conditions driving people to the right. The people in truly desperate material conditions don't vote and never have. No, it's a desperate, enraged, terrified reaction against being told what to do (or just feeling like they're being told what to do) by people who aren't "us".

It's both. I feel pretty confident thinking that Trump will be re-elected. Sucks.

Cranappleberry posted:

Rural areas in the South include not just impoverished white communities but impoverished heavily black communities. In the Southwest, impovershied heavily Latino communities.

Driving through rural NM and seeing places without basic services like electricity or running water, few if any jobs outside of farm or ranching work, and it's not hard to see why alcoholism, drug addiction and other problems are such a huge issue there.

Yeah but they have all those mega church and right wing radio shows to take their mind off it. Which exacerbates the problem.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 13, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is this the place where we talk about Elon Musk being Time's person of the year?

I've seen lots of people bring up Hitler or Trump as a bad person who nonetheless made a huge impact on the world, but I don't think Elon Musk fits that criteria either? Even when just looking at rich shitheads worming their way into our lives and making everything worse, Bezos or Bill Gates are more influential. Musk is, intermittingly, the richest man on Earth, but his businesses don't really affect our lives in the way the others' do. If the case was that Elon Musk's particular brand of stupid, annoying, and vacuous self-aggrandizement makes him the best figurehead for his rich shithead brethren, maybe that would be reasonable.

It always feels like a bit of a cop-out when they do something like name "vaccine researchers" or something rather than an individual as Person of the Year, so I guess this this'll teach me to be careful what I wish for.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Making the Time Person of the Year a group of people is a lot better than perpetuating the "Great Man" myth by just making it one person, but that's just my thought on it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
When you have Republicans in charge of the state government and they've slashed any sort of assistance program funding to the bone, that combined with any sort of taxes is going to be very effective to get votes by saying "The government is useless, and they make you pay them all that money just to line their own pockets!"

The last couple of weeks before the election, Youngkin was running ads a lot about how Virginia is one of only a few states that taxes groceries and said how it hurts poor and middle class families, and that he'd eliminate the grocery tax if he was elected. It's probably a big reason why he won, honestly. It's an issue that affects anyone who isn't rich, "your groceries will cost less" is something pretty much anyone can get behind. While McAuliffe shooting himself in the foot on education was a big factor for sure (he started dropping in polls shortly after that), I feel like the big swing from D to R in that election was Youngkin actually saying "I want to make things better for you financially" to the voters. Meanwhile McAuliffe was either psuedo campaiging for Youngkin by going "Trump loves this guy, he's going to be just like Trump!" or having cops say "Actually McAuliffe loves us cops and he wants to give us all the money."

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

Is this the place where we talk about Elon Musk being Time's person of the year?

I've seen lots of people bring up Hitler or Trump as a bad person who nonetheless made a huge impact on the world, but I don't think Elon Musk fits that criteria either? Even when just looking at rich shitheads worming their way into our lives and making everything worse, Bezos or Bill Gates are more influential. Musk is, intermittingly, the richest man on Earth, but his businesses don't really affect our lives in the way the others' do. If the case was that Elon Musk's particular brand of stupid, annoying, and vacuous self-aggrandizement makes him the best figurehead for his rich shithead brethren, maybe that would be reasonable.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

I feel like the more exposure Musk gets, the more 'Musk Bros' he loses; since his whole deal is being really lucky with his investments rather than actually inventing all the things he funds/bought out. The "real life Tony Stark" thing he cultivates evaporates a little bit every time he tweets dumb things, which brings the magnifying glass and high powered light to his actual deeds; and they(the dumb tweets) seem to be picking up pace since his divorce.

Personally I think Time should have gone with Deb Haaland; or at least not gone with inflating the ego of a person who might well be about to pop.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

In Illinois, they have starved the beast when it comes to our firearm registration program. It is underfunded and there is a massive backlog.

Republicans are now running on ending FOID all together because they have made it unworkable.

In between poo poo like that and “we will lower your taxes (while gutting other programs to harm you)”, their messaging is focused.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Text messages revealed from 1/6/21 show Hannity, Inghram and Kilmeade were texting Mark Meadows and begging him to get Trump to do something. Fake news or the fakest news I wonder?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/13/politics/trump-jr-text-mark-meadows-january-6/index.html

quote:

"'Mark, the President needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home. This is hurting all of us. He is destroying his legacy,' Laura Ingraham wrote."

"'Please get him on TV. Destroying everything you have accomplished,' Brian Kilmeade texted."

"'Can he make a statement? Ask people to leave the Capitol?' Sean Hannity urged."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The guy who owns TIME is an investor in Space X.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BiggerBoat posted:

Text messages revealed from 1/6/21 show Hannity, Inghram and Kilmeade were texting Mark Meadows and begging him to get Trump to do something. Fake news or the fakest news I wonder?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/13/politics/trump-jr-text-mark-meadows-january-6/index.html

Only surprising one there is Ingraham. I figured her as a real true believer in fascism, not just a grifter.
The lack of Tucker is not surprising.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Reporter Jake Sherman tweeted this morning that he was one of the people messaging Meadows. He acts like it is some big reveal but I am not surprised by the idea that reporters privately message politicians.

They did not even mention his name in the details because the ones that they did were people who have since downplayed the whole thing. They are dropping them for two reasons 1) to show their hypocrisy and 2)make trump get mad at them (except Don Jr who just wants his dad to realize that he is alive)

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 14, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His tweet before that specifically says he recognised his own texts being quoted in public reporting https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1470753707688136706?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He's just saying "fwiw this are my tweets" in case people wanted to know.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I think the “seems impossible that it will stay a secret” line is throwing me off. I follow him on Twitter and he is generally spot on when it comes to Congressional matters. This just stood out to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think it's just a case of seeing your own words written out and knowing people would want to know who said it in case it was like some chud and he was like "better say it now rather than look like I'm trying to hide knowing Meadows' number."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Are all these texts "fake news" yet or do we need to give it a day or two?

It'll either be that or claims of being taken out of context "before all the facts were in". Maybe some bitching about "privacy concerns" or something. No one that consumes RWM is gonna give a single poo poo anyway and I doubt FOX will report on it much - if at all. Trump might start calling out a few more new "losers" and create some more 3rd grade nicknames to add to his wacky list. Real grown up mature poo poo like...

Looney Laura
Moron Meadows
Shady Sean (though I doubt he'd turn on Hannity)

I've overheard more than one CHUD down here, usually at gas station or some poo poo, claim that they were "invited in" - I assume in reference to the cops retreating and removing barricades, but how does that explain away the videos of people breaking glass and pushing against/through locked doors? Scaling the walls? I mean, it was clearly a siege.

Good lord. I still think about it a lot. If that had been the Million Man March or an organized BLM rally, they'd still be bleaching and scrubbing blood off the Capitol Building steps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meadows was on Fox last night saying that the fake news was taking his texts out of context to ATTACK OUR PRESIDENT LORD DONALD TRUMP.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Meadows was on Fox last night saying that the fake news was taking his texts out of context to ATTACK OUR PRESIDENT LORD DONALD TRUMP.

And there you go. What show? OK, how about you cooperate with the 1/6 committee and PROVIDE some "context" for everybody?

I mean context beyond "buy my book"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

And there you go. What show? OK, how about you cooperate with the 1/6 committee and PROVIDE some "context" for everybody?

I mean context beyond "buy my book"

This isn't the clip I saw but here he is on Hannity https://video.foxnews.com/v/6286710217001?playlist_id=930909813001#sp=show-clips

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr Christmas posted:

On principle, it's absolutely terrible that SNL invited Musk to host, but at least we got this amazingly appropriate image out of it.

At least he isn't the most evil person to host SNL! There's still Trump, OJ Simpson and Chevy Chase.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

On principle, it's absolutely terrible that SNL invited Musk to host, but at least we got this amazingly appropriate image out of it.

At least he isn't the most evil person to host SNL! There's still Trump, OJ Simpson and Chevy Chase.

No, that would be Steven Seagal.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

No, that would be Steven Seagal.

I was a little bored so I went through a complete list of hosts to find the ones that would never be allowed on today for excessive evil. (This doesn't count people who would never be on because nobody cares about them, like Tony Danza or Melanie Griffith or whatever.) I left off a lot of edge cases, people who had a sex pest or bigotry flareup that went away fairly quietly (Al Gore, Rob Lowe, Kevin Hart, etc.)

Asterisks on people I could see recovering their reputations enough to maybe host again someday (like Lowe did).

James Franco*
Louis CK
Aziz Ansari*
Casey Affleck*
Donald Trump
Shia LeBeouf*
Kevin Spacey
John McCain (he had a decent rep in 2008 but I doubt we ever see a GOP politician host SNL again)
Charlie Sheen*
Rudy Giuliani
Chevy Chase
Roseanne Barr
Stephen Seagal
Andrew Dice Clay
James Woods
Mel Gibson* (seems to stick around no matter what, it's crazy)
Hulk Hogan
Robert Blake
OJ Simpson

~20 evil hosts in almost 900 episodes isn't a bad track record. Although if you wanted to include all the edge cases you can probably get over 100 (and almost certainly, if you consider the people who have done terrible things we don't know about. Who knows what Jack Black gets up to in the privacy of his home? Maybe Chris Pratt did use children's adrenochrome to get in shape for Guardians!)

Christ, to bring it back to RWM, at least they never let Rush host. I bet some dickhead suggested it at some point, but Franken was still involved with the show in the early '90s and he never would've allowed it. (Is Franken evil? I'll leave that to the reader.)

The best host - of course it was either May 13, 1978, hosted by Richard Dreyfuss, or January 19, 1985, hosted by Roy Schieder.

e: edited for diplomacy :)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 14, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^I was quoting Lorne Michaels^^^

He famously did that joke during an open one time but thanks for that list. Every oral history I've read cites Seagal as the absolute worst. You left off Paris Hilton too. I suppose after 4 decades of doing a live show, you're gonna wind up with some people who did creepy or hosed up poo poo but I still don't get the Elon Musk booking.

Reminds me of the bit in Bob Roberts (sorry to keep bringing up that movie but everyone, seriously, go watch it) where the cast rebels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h62m4d4MmA

Mellow Seas posted:

The best host - of course it was January 19, 1985, hosted by Roy Schieder.

<<<< Come on Chief, this isn’t no boy scout picnic. This is SNL! See ya’ got ya’ rubbers!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^I was quoting Lorne Michaels^^^

He famously did that joke during an open one time but thanks for that list. Every oral history I've read cites Seagal as the absolute worst. You left off Paris Hilton too.
Aha, I am absolutely willing to trust Lorne on this one. Seagal hasn’t been shy about his right-wing authoritarianism, and even just his crimes against acting and fight choreography are enough to justify a life sentence. (Exit Wounds is a true comedy classic, though, RIP DMX.)

Hilton I kind of lump in with her former assistant/BFF Kim Kardashian, who hosted this year - more a product of her environment than actually evil. But I wouldn’t object to anybody putting her on their Evil Hosts list.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1470774906254151701?s=20

If you don't know the Villages it's a massive retirement community in Florida that's overwhelmingly Republican.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's a clip playlist for Bob Roberts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7BD8F4657E0FA28F

Movie stars Tim Robbins, Giancarlo Espisito, a young Jack Black, Susan Sarandon, Gore Vidal, Alan Rickman, Helen Hunt and a bunch of other people you'll recognize (Peter Gallagher, James Spader, John Cusack, Bob Balaban). It's 40 years old and feels like it's right now, I swear to god. It's barely satire at this point.

If you like this thread at all, I promise you will love this movie. It's the This Is: Spinal Tap or Best in Show of right wing politics and anticipated Rush Limbaugh, Trump, FOX News and the modern GOP.

Anyway, that's my tri-annual plug of one of my favorite movies.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

maybe host again someday

John McCain

:thunk:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Behind the Bastards did a three-part series on the birth of right-wing talk radio, and ultimately the RWM hellscape we have today:

Part One Joe Pyne: The Man Who Invented Right Wing Talk Radio
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-joe-pyne-the-man-87912518/

Part Two: The Ballad of Wally George
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-the-ballad-of-wally-88001002/

Part Three: Morton Downey Junior: The Ur-Media Grifter
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-three-morton-downey-junior-the-88171082/

Downey Junior, like all of these three, was fired for being a blowhard but he was actually replaced by Rush Limbaugh. All of them died from lung cancer from smoking and were ardently pro-smoking right up until their diagnosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Behind the Bastards did a three-part series on the birth of right-wing talk radio, and ultimately the RWM hellscape we have today:

Part One Joe Pyne: The Man Who Invented Right Wing Talk Radio
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-joe-pyne-the-man-87912518/

Part Two: The Ballad of Wally George
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-the-ballad-of-wally-88001002/

Part Three: Morton Downey Junior: The Ur-Media Grifter
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-three-morton-downey-junior-the-88171082/

Downey Junior, like all of these three, was fired for being a blowhard but he was actually replaced by Rush Limbaugh. All of them died from lung cancer from smoking and were ardently pro-smoking right up until their diagnosis.

He was? I remember Rush had a short lived TV show but didn't know it was related to Downey.

And thanks for these links. I'll check these out.

I forgot about MDJ but you're kind of right that he may have been a flashpoint here, along with a LOT of the megachruch televangelists of the 80's. Geraldo too. And, even though he's a liberal, I'd throw Jerry Springer on that pile as well for sensationalizing the staged fights and poo poo that were born out of the real one that happened on Geraldo's show. All those TV preachers have gone down in the flames of shame, fraud and sex scandals at one point or another but they keep rising from the ashes.

I've said before and still maintain that a lot of the modern GOP/RWM playbook is built off the template of these TV preachers since they never suffer any consequences. MLM's too.

IIRC, Downey's undoing was staging a fake neo-nazi attack or something by trying to cash in on the Geraldo ratings that resulted from that on set riot.

EDIT:

First link up there is a 404.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 14, 2021