Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you miss that the group minimizing covid is also the group stirring up hate against people for causing covid?

That's not what I'm saying. It's the hate against the enemy that attacked and killed us. Terrorist = virus. They don't care about that this time.

And no, THE GYNA VIRUS isn't the same. We didn't get the whole country to invade china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Fancy Hat posted:

The people who need a physical target to get angry at are also the people causing a lot of the problems.

That's why conservative politicians will occasionally throw out stuff like "There's a caravan crossing the border, with covid!"

This is 100% how republicans and chuds work. It's literally the entire GOP platform. Give them someone to hate. Poor people on welfare, immigrants taking their jobs, democrats installing communism, people getting abortions, anyone to hate and fear.

They are so simple minded that they need a literal human target in front of them to hate. They don't understand systematic or more complex problems.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

pacerhimself posted:

Sup goons,

I got a breakthrough case of the ronies. Not sure whether it's delta or the omicronies yet.

Good luck, hope it's mild

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's not what I'm saying. It's the hate against the enemy that attacked and killed us. Terrorist = virus. They don't care about that this time.

And no, THE GYNA VIRUS isn't the same. We didn't get the whole country to invade china.

Republicans tried to get people to hate China but it didn't work, it just made people who already hated China hate them a little more. They didn't craft a logically consistent message that a normal person can follow and accept.

They could have, but at the cost of making market number go down. Serving the rich is the GOP's prime directive so they had to pivot to downplaying the virus instead

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why are Biontech and Moderna not pumping out vaccines for the variants yet? It seems like there is some kind of legal framework to get these updates to the market quickly without extended trials (see the yearly flu vaccine), why are they not using it? I know Biontech plans to have something out by spring for omicron, but that will be more than a year since the original one. We definitely could have used one for Delta this fall, maybe even one for Beta during the summer.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

With delta they didn't because a third dose of the normal vaccine is highly effective, so there was no need to disrupt everything by trying to switch over production to something new.
For omicron they'll still need to test it in people to make sure it at least gives good neutralizing antibodies.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

Good luck, hope it's mild

Yeah, I should be fine. I had two lovely days where I felt like I got hit by a truck but I've been feeling better since. The cold/breathing symptoms haven't been too bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Scarodactyl posted:

With delta they didn't because a third dose of the normal vaccine is highly effective, so there was no need to disrupt everything by trying to switch over production to something new.
For omicron they'll still need to test it in people to make sure it at least gives good neutralizing antibodies.

don't forget the old classic, they could have had a new vaccine ready to vaccinate small outbreaks within weeks of a new variant.

Only the outbreak is the whole world because people who use airlines in a pandemic are selfish wankers.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

you: still saying "Global" Pandemic

Me: saves precious time, only saying Pandemic, knowing it implies the uhhhh globality :smug:

we're not the same

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Wendigee posted:

do i get to tell work its hitting me hard and need a recovery period?

pissing off my immune system, is that like some fever and fatigue? hehe
I've taken like 3 sick days in the last 18 months so I've decided I will always take a sick day after a booster whether I need it or not

it's a little treat for being a big boy and being brave

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lmao my older son just got re-quarantined today for a close contact he had last Thursday.

He'd just returned from his previous close contact quarantine last Wednesday. :v:

His official "fully vaccinated" day was today, so just a few school days too late.

This is loving stupid. I hope they keep kids remote for a week or two after Xmas Break to avoid this same post-Thanksgiving bullshit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GABA ghoul posted:

Why are Biontech and Moderna not pumping out vaccines for the variants yet? It seems like there is some kind of legal framework to get these updates to the market quickly without extended trials (see the yearly flu vaccine), why are they not using it? I know Biontech plans to have something out by spring for omicron, but that will be more than a year since the original one. We definitely could have used one for Delta this fall, maybe even one for Beta during the summer.

They were working on beta specific vaccines but it would have been pretty clear by April that beta wasn't a contender and they'd pretty much wasted all that money on it. It just wasn't a profitable variant.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/global

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hate it when my lifesaving vaccine is not profitable

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

dwarf74 posted:

Lmao my older son just got re-quarantined today for a close contact he had last Thursday.

He'd just returned from his previous close contact quarantine last Wednesday. :v:

His official "fully vaccinated" day was today, so just a few school days too late.

This is loving stupid. I hope they keep kids remote for a week or two after Xmas Break to avoid this same post-Thanksgiving bullshit.

We got notified today that my son had a close contact on Friday (first time, finally :confuoot:). Same thing: his 2nd shot + 2 weeks would have been tomorrow.

They don't require quarantine if he's asymptomatic, though; they'll just give him a rapid test every day for a week. They are also really good about masks at this school.

I'm really, really glad I jumped to get them vaxxed.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how fast we’ll be rushing to look at boosters in kids given that the third jab appears to be especially important for omicron. Hopefully kids need them less than adults do.

naem
May 29, 2011

the dumbest possible thing is what will happen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my booster today.

I only need 28 more shots to catch up to that other dude.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

I wonder how fast we’ll be rushing to look at boosters in kids given that the third jab appears to be especially important for omicron. Hopefully kids need them less than adults do.

How much of that importance is chalked up to timing? E.g. the Israeli study was based on adults who had their second shot 5+ months prior, how does someone 1 month out from their second shot compare to a boosted individual 1 month afterward?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I've taken like 3 sick days in the last 18 months so I've decided I will always take a sick day after a booster whether I need it or not

it's a little treat for being a big boy and being brave

The only sick days I've ever used was when I caught that poo poo.
I planned my booster for 5:00 today around being able to take off tomorrow. We suddenly moved up a major revamp and I was still lucky enough to have tomorrow's calendar free.

Of course I got a call first thing this morning that there's a major zoom conference tomorrow and a brand new person who was supposed to do it was gonna be totally in over their head, so my boss wanted them to sit in my office and watch me do it.
So I guess now the compromise is I'm wfh no matter how hosed up I am.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
J&J booster 3 hours out and now I know what bath salts are like. I have the window open and I'm walking around naked and my bones feel like I need to scrub them with a toothbrush.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

And where did you get this booster? Behind a dumpster at a Taco Bell?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

First I had to install the Tor browser...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

How much of that importance is chalked up to timing? E.g. the Israeli study was based on adults who had their second shot 5+ months prior, how does someone 1 month out from their second shot compare to a boosted individual 1 month afterward?
That’s a good question. I did see data from Israel suggesting that boosting results in higher titers than 2 shots, even a reasonably short time after the 2nd shot. Not sure what other studies have shown though.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

KinkyJohn posted:

Even our small town has a local misinformation whatsapp group under the guise of being "uncensored" since some of them were kicked off the other town groups.

Now some are posting links to "Dr Campbell" saying that the omnicron variant is just the flu bro
https://youtu.be/m2vI4XczqZ8

Seems like this is the new narrative, omnicron is just the flu so no need to worry anymore.

My town had a facebook group called "{Town} Uncensored" which like most groups like that was just angry right wingers. It was originally founded by a few right wingers who got mad that everyone would constantly just poo poo on their horribly wrong opinions in the main town group. I like to think I played a role in it because it was created shortly after one guy kept making threads where he'd post a bunch of a inaccurate stuff about a tax renewal(which if failed would close our hospital), I'd reply with a breakdown of why that was wrong, and he'd make a new thread hoping to duck it. I guess that's censorship.

Well as you could guess this group like tripled in size since covid denial and anti-vaxx bullshit met with similar responses in the main group. Eventually the group got banned. I know I kept reporting various posts for false information, racism, hate speech, etc and I assume others did the same. I wonder if any of them jumped to some stupid local whatsapp group for right wing psychos.

As a fun aside, they also had their own schism when an admin deleted a user's post for using the n-word. That other group was named "{Town} Uncensored Uncensored" and died or went private very quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

It sure seems like

1) omicron is going to require a completely new vaccine
2) there's enough mutations that existing antibodies attaching to omicron are almost pure chance (something like 5% of in vitro testing shows 100% vaccine escape)
3) previous immunity to original covid barely provided immunity to Delta

Based on this it sure looks like a whole new vaccine + boosters will be required, my guess is their legal + pr department are walking this back because reasons

I disagreed with this at the time, but here’s someone who ought to know saying “yeah it’s going to take two shots”.

https://twitter.com/MerylSwanLake/status/1470378828824563718

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Harveygod posted:

We got notified today that my son had a close contact on Friday (first time, finally :confuoot:). Same thing: his 2nd shot + 2 weeks would have been tomorrow.

They don't require quarantine if he's asymptomatic, though; they'll just give him a rapid test every day for a week. They are also really good about masks at this school.

I'm really, really glad I jumped to get them vaxxed.
Yeah I'm glad too, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten it yet despite two close contacts because of his vaccination. (I'm going with a working theory he doesn't have it since 4 days is late for delta. Still quarantining but yeah.)

But if he'd been a close contact today instead of Thursday we'd be in the same boat as you.

Or we could move to Missouri where you can't even quarantine active covid cases anymore :v:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Joe Roagn still loving it up for everyone, and who the gently caress is that doctor
https://twitter.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1470511566466523137?s=20

JR believed the moon landing was fake, and that children should smoke marijuana, among many many other stupid views. He has some interesting guests somtimes, sure, but why are people listening to him about public health (oh yeah he sells supplements too, which is apparently all you need to survive covid, buy his vitamins)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Platystemon posted:

I disagreed with this at the time, but here’s someone who ought to know saying “yeah it’s going to take two shots”.

https://twitter.com/MerylSwanLake/status/1470378828824563718
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1470561679041871875?s=20

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Trevor Bedford suggested the possibility that covid vaccines might need to be multivalent like flu vaccines in the event that we end up with multiple circulating variants that don’t provide enough cross-immunity to compete with each other. I guess we just need to hope that we can contain Delta/Omicron and future variants with a reasonable number of vaccine strains like we can with the flu.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Merck antiviral pill isn't looking so hot. It showed good efficacy against some earlier variants but low efficacy against delta, and given that the potential mutagenic side effects the FDA might decide it's not worth the risk

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1470466951470206978

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Merck antiviral pill isn't looking so hot. It showed good efficacy against some earlier variants but low efficacy against delta
Do you have a good link for that? The early interim readout from the trial was much better than the final result but I don't think that had anything to do with delta.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zugzwang posted:

Trevor Bedford suggested the possibility that covid vaccines might need to be multivalent like flu vaccines in the event that we end up with multiple circulating variants that don’t provide enough cross-immunity to compete with each other. I guess we just need to hope that we can contain Delta/Omicron and future variants with a reasonable number of vaccine strains like we can with the flu.

I assume there’s some highly conserved proteins that remain consistent across all variants of covid that could be used as ‘generic’ inclusion in vaccines. I guess the biggest issue with multivalent mRNA vaccines is the need for multiple production lines to produce the different mRNA components of the vaccine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL
:hmmrona: :sassargh::mrapig::mrapig::mrapig:
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1470519740187779090

Scarodactyl posted:

Do you have a good link for that? The early interim readout from the trial was much better than the final result but I don't think that had anything to do with delta.

Merck statement from Nov 26:

quote:

KENILWORTH, N.J. & MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics today provided an update on the MOVe-OUT study of molnupiravir (MK-4482, EIDD-2801), an investigational oral antiviral medicine for COVID-19. Data are now available from all enrolled participants (n=1433). In this study population, molnupiravir reduced the risk of hospitalization or death from 9.7% in the placebo group (68/699) to 6.8% (48/709) in the molnupiravir group, for an absolute risk reduction of 3.0% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.1, 5.9; nominal p-value=0.0218) and a relative risk reduction of 30% (relative risk 0.70; 95% CI: 0.49, 0.99). Nine deaths were reported in the placebo group, and one in the molnupiravir group. The adverse event profile for molnupiravir remained consistent with the profile reported at the planned interim analysis.

Based on the study design, the definitive evaluation of efficacy was considered complete at the planned interim analysis, when the statistical criterion for success was met and enrollment in the study was discontinued at the recommendation of the external Data Monitoring Committee and agreed to by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). As previously reported, at the planned interim analysis, molnupiravir significantly reduced the risk of hospitalization or death from 14.1% (53/377) in the placebo group to 7.3% (28/385) in the molnupiravir group (absolute risk reduction 6.8%; 95% CI: 2.4, 11.3; p=0.0012), for a relative risk reduction of 48% (relative risk 0.52; 95% CI: 0.33, 0.80).

The interim analysis and the additional analyses support the efficacy and overall favorable benefit-risk assessment of molnupiravir for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in adults at high risk for disease progression. Merck has shared these additional analyses with the FDA and they will be presented to the FDA’s Antimicrobial Drugs Advisory Committee on Nov. 30th.
https://www.merck.com/news/merck-an...erate-covid-19/

E: can't find a source for the delta part but if it's just lovely overall then that's probably even worse, if it showed decent efficacy against alpha and beta it might've had a shot against omicron as well. 48% efficacy might not have made the cut though if MABs are still an option

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 14, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The statement doesn't say anything about delta. I don't think there's any hard evidence that delta was responsible for the lower efficacy of the final readout--they did sequence a bunch of their patients (they had 40% at the time of the interim readout) and they said that the performance didn't change across variants. If it were significantly less effective against delta it seems like it should have shown up at that point, though who knows, it sure seems that there's something up with the trial.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gay picnic defence posted:

I assume there’s some highly conserved proteins that remain consistent across all variants of covid that could be used as ‘generic’ inclusion in vaccines. I guess the biggest issue with multivalent mRNA vaccines is the need for multiple production lines to produce the different mRNA components of the vaccine.
Eric Topol recently said that he thinks a pan-sarbecovirus vaccine is within reach. I hope that he’s right and that we actually work towards it. Not just for SARS-CoV-2, but because who knows what extremely ugly beta-CoVs we haven’t even encountered yet.

That’s the thread I was thinking of. We don’t know yet if we’ll see displacement of Delta, but either way, it sure looks like Omicron is on track to ruin the gently caress out of Christmas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a new option in masks for kids.

https://twitter.com/masknerd/status/1470564921045884929

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Joe Roagn still loving it up for everyone, and who the gently caress is that doctor
https://twitter.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1470511566466523137?s=20

JR believed the moon landing was fake, and that children should smoke marijuana, among many many other stupid views. He has some interesting guests somtimes, sure, but why are people listening to him about public health (oh yeah he sells supplements too, which is apparently all you need to survive covid, buy his vitamins)

https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1464689466883379202

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah the health department in my state was giving those out for positive tests but they took days to do it and also never bothered to give them out to people presumed positive who didn't get tested (i.e., quarantining family members)

Leonardi is yet another one of those twitter bullshit artists capitalizing off the COVID audience

He and Ding are both consistently correct about everything that's happening and it makes people mad because they literally can't process the collapse happening around us. The twitter bullshit artists are the ones that told you omicron was going to be super mild.

edit; I wanted to make another post but I don't want to TRIPLE up so let me also say that lmfao if you got to this point in the pandemic and your first instinct is to say that the pessimists were the ones who were wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Salt Fish posted:

edit; I wanted to make another post but I don't want to TRIPLE up so let me also say that lmfao if you got to this point in the pandemic and your first instinct is to say that the pessimists were the ones who were wrong
Yeah it was a fun feeling realizing that I loathed the same people re: covid that Alex Jones does but for completely different reasons, and that I can’t open my mouth in polite company without sounding like a crazy person.

Today I did manage to convince a friend to get boosted as soon as she’s eligible, so that’s something.