Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Up yours, children!”

That’s a good quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tanzarian definitely has some excellent bits. It's just the overall retconning that makes it sour. Like, the very character of Skinner as an absurd lawful good tripping into derangement no longer makes sense given that background.

It's like if you came out with, "Actually, Norman Bates had a healthy relationship with a loving family. He just bonked his head and that's why he's like that."

You loving what?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i would have absolutely no issue with the tanzarian episode if in a way later episode they hadnt tried to lampshade it with him calling out a retcon and lisa smugly saying whatever you say principal tanzarian

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Sid Vicious posted:

i would have absolutely no issue with the tanzarian episode if in a way later episode they hadnt tried to lampshade it with him calling out a retcon and lisa smugly saying whatever you say principal tanzarian

i remember that. she's risking a penalty of torture for that barb!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

TengenNewsEditor posted:

it's nauseatingly punctilious, perfect grimes affectation

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Garrand posted:

My hot take is the tanzarian episode is better than the grimes episode

my hot take is both those episodes are funny all around

Das Boo posted:

Tanzarian definitely has some excellent bits. It's just the overall retconning that makes it sour. Like, the very character of Skinner as an absurd lawful good tripping into derangement no longer makes sense given that background.

It's like if you came out with, "Actually, Norman Bates had a healthy relationship with a loving family. He just bonked his head and that's why he's like that."

You loving what?

yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

i remember that. she's risking a penalty of torture for that barb!

the torture line was something i was able to appreciate watching the episode many years later. it's another great example of a joke that has layers.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

You Are A Elf posted:

“Up yours, children!”

That’s a good quote.

This one still gets some mileage out of me

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Das Boo posted:

You loving what?

Yeah it’s a good ep, but feels like they chickened out at the end with the judge making a proclamation. It’s still a good line but I prefer Grimes being lowered into the ground. Super grim but they stuck with their theme until the end.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

mycophobia posted:

homer's enemy is my favorite episode

Hot stuff comin' through

Mr Interweb posted:

my hot take is both those episodes are funny all around

Can I see your copy of Swank, Armin?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hot stuff comin' through

Can I see your copy of Swank, Armin?

all you'll talking about this this are gonna be tortured

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Das Boo posted:

You loving what?

Speaking of Bates, when did we first see Mrs. Skinner? I seem to recall the series played up the Bates parallels for at least a few seasons before we finally saw her and that yes, there is in fact a Mother. Or am i misremembering?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Speaking of Bates, when did we first see Mrs. Skinner? I seem to recall the series played up the Bates parallels for at least a few seasons before we finally saw her and that yes, there is in fact a Mother. Or am i misremembering?

she was in the beginning of the season 1 episode where bart goes to france

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Junk posted:

she was in the beginning of the season 1 episode where bart goes to france

episode 1 was bart gets an F

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Funny thing about Norman Bates is, they actually did retcon his relationship with his mother in Psycho 2. At the end, after everybody's done trying to gaslight him and put him back away, a side character named Emma comes to the Bates house to tell Norman that she was his real mother, and that Norma Bates--the one he killed and impersonated--was actually her sister. He immediately whacks Emma in the head with a shovel and she takes Mother's place. Then in the next movie it turns out Norma was his real mother after all and Emma was a deranged aunt.

I was never a fan of The Principal and the Pauper, either.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Keromaru5 posted:

Funny thing about Norman Bates is, they actually did retcon his relationship with his mother in Psycho 2. At the end, after everybody's done trying to gaslight him and put him back away, a side character named Emma comes to the Bates house to tell Norman that she was his real mother, and that Norma Bates--the one he killed and impersonated--was actually her sister. He immediately whacks Emma in the head with a shovel and she takes Mother's place. Then in the next movie it turns out Norma was his real mother after all and Emma was a deranged aunt.

I was never a fan of The Principal and the Pauper, either.

no one was we don't speak of it under penalty of torture

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I also thought Homer's Enemy has a weird meta-tone that doesn't work very well, and it's an extremely good episode in spite of that, not because of it. The other poster was right in that making him intentionally sympathetic was a mistake.

Some people have suggested the episode was spawned as a response to viewers trying to rationalize Springfield like they do the real world. If the idea was to try to take a Simpsons viewer and put them in the universe and then basically show tem how insane they would go, I don't think a mild version of Funny Games is really all that great of a premise if so.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

I also thought Homer's Enemy has a weird meta-tone that doesn't work very well, and it's an extremely good episode in spite of that, not because of it. The other poster was right in that making him intentionally sympathetic was a mistake.

Some people have suggested the episode was spawned as a response to viewers trying to rationalize Springfield like they do the real world. If the idea was to try to take a Simpsons viewer and put them in the universe and then basically show tem how insane they would go, I don't think a mild version of Funny Games is really all that great of a premise if so.

It was obviously a meta joke. Frank Grimes lost his poo poo when he saw how Homer lived. And for good reason.
"Have you seen my Grammy"
You live in a Castle and eat Steak?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I remember thinking the grimes episode was really funny as a kid but it was also very hard to watch because Grimey (as he liked to be called) was very transparently the good character of that episode and he gets relentlessly poo poo on

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its just funny to give homer a straight man for an episode and then kill him

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

I remember thinking the grimes episode was really funny as a kid but it was also very hard to watch because Grimey (as he liked to be called) was very transparently the good character of that episode and he gets relentlessly poo poo on

change the channel Marge

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Just watched S33E08 which is my first episode since maybe Season 24 and Marge sure became Lunch Lady Doris

e:
voice wise i mean.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

unlimited shrimp posted:

Just watched S33E08 which is my first episode since maybe Season 24 and Marge sure became Lunch Lady Doris

e:
voice wise i mean.

My dude, stop watching new episodes.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You live in a Castle and eat Steak?

It was *sniff sniff* LOBSTERS!! For dinner!!

I guess I'm just saying, the tone of that episode always felt off to me, it always seemed a bit antagonistic to the viewer which is something that show like The Simpsons doesn't really need to do, and if you're introspective enough while watching it, doesn't (conversely) convey any sympathy to the rest of the characters like a lot of classic Simpsons episodes did at the end. And again it's a great episode, but that's in spite of the way they're poking the viewer in the gut.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one from, like, weeks ago, Homer gets depressed around mother's day and goes on a phone-app based video therapy session and remembers that he and Abe went on a road trip to find his mom when, as a teen, he found out she was alive.

It sucked. No good jokes at all. Also it retcons the first episode with Mona where Homer had thought she was dead.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

My dude, stop watching new episodes.

I thought i was drunk enough to enjoy it ok

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one from, like, weeks ago, Homer gets depressed around mother's day and goes on a phone-app based video therapy session and remembers that he and Abe went on a road trip to find his mom when, as a teen, he found out she was alive.

It sucked. No good jokes at all. Also it retcons the first episode with Mona where Homer had thought she was dead.

I hate everything you said and refuse believe it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I hate everything you said and refuse believe it

Abe is no longer a checked-out rear end in a top hat father and is now an alcoholic. He quits drinking midway through the road trip because he's grown so much closer to Homer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Abe is no longer a checked-out rear end in a top hat father and is now an alcoholic. He quits drinking midway through the road trip because he's grown so much closer to Homer.

not listening. no retcons in my Simpsons cannon
At least not before 1994

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It is 1996. I am watching Homerpalooza. Abe declares that what he is "with" is no longer "it." I regret the lack of backstory for the last time.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I can't stop watching new episodes. I grew up with the show. I know they aren't funny anymore. But at this point I might as well stick it out.

I feel like it's almost mocking itself.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s inevitable that a show that’s been on as long as The Simpsons will eventually start retconning the established universe because A) they’re running out of ideas, B) they’re loving lazy, and C) it all boils down to a “HEY REMEMBER THIS? THIS WAS GOOD, RIGHT?” cry for attention question that nobody asked save for maybe people who only vaguely remember the original plot point, were too young to understand it, or never saw it to begin with.

It doesn’t mean I have to like it. It’s pure laziness and inconsiderate pandering, and retcons can go suck a gently caress.

joebuddah posted:

I can't stop watching new episodes. I grew up with the show. I know they aren't funny anymore. But at this point I might as well stick it out.

I feel like it's almost mocking itself.

I don’t think I’ve willingly watched a new episode since “That ‘90s Show.” That episode is what caused me to give up on the show for good, and it aired 13 years ago :psyduck: Talking about lovely rear end retcon episodes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think the Grimes episode is less a deconstruction of the show and more a broader critique of the changing US economy and living standards - in the same kind of way where Krusty the Clown is a throwback to several decades ago when clowns did host kids TV shows, so the premise of the show (middle-class family living reasonably well on a single blue-collar income in small town America) is very different to the reality of even 90s America. similarly Grimes is this industrious self-made man who works hard and does everything right despite everything that's happened to him, living the American Dream, and yet still he suffers a life of poverty and struggle. so: what happened, and why did it get all hosed up?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Grimes is a whiny shitbaby rear end in a top hat who pisses and moans about everything and everyone because he never actually strove to be a better person. He just automatically assumes he is the better person in all situations.

He got what he deserved :colbert: gently caress Grimes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Soon Grandpa will have fought in the Vietnam war and is a veteran of that

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bobjr posted:

Soon Grandpa will have fought in the Vietnam war and is a veteran of that

“Back in nineteen-dickety-one… we had to say ‘dickety’ because Saddam had taken ‘ninety’ away from us, and that’s what we was fighting the Desert Storm war for. Anywho, I was in the middle of Kuwait wearing a Soundgarden CD on my belt, which was the style at the time. You would put the CD in a thing called a player, and it would play music. Oh, they had such great music back then. Pearl Jelly, M.C. Mallet, Marvelous Mark & the Groovy Bunch, Nerve Ending… those were the days. What was I talking about again? Oh right.

The year was dickety-eight-nine… we had to say ‘dickety’ because the Soviet Union had taken ‘nineteen’ away from us, and that’s why we was wanting the Berlin Wall to come down. There I was at the Brandenburg Gate with a slap bracelet on my belt, which was the style at the time.”

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
It only just occurred to me that last year was dickety dickety

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always thought it was "tickety" which I thought sounded better / more comedy-plausible as an old-timey "twenty" stand-in and I got mad when people told me it was "dickety"

:mad:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the Grimes episode is less a deconstruction of the show and more a broader critique of the changing US economy and living standards - in the same kind of way where Krusty the Clown is a throwback to several decades ago when clowns did host kids TV shows, so the premise of the show (middle-class family living reasonably well on a single blue-collar income in small town America) is very different to the reality of even 90s America. similarly Grimes is this industrious self-made man who works hard and does everything right despite everything that's happened to him, living the American Dream, and yet still he suffers a life of poverty and struggle. so: what happened, and why did it get all hosed up?

well, according to the episode, the reason for the inability for a hard working man to make an honest living is cause of people like lazy, entitled moochers like homer. and considering the lead writer was a libertarian...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If it weren't for Homer, every Grimes could be a Burns!