Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I preferred Ala Mhigo side to Doma side, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Insert name here posted:

Hitting the final boss of Orbonne be like
https://i.imgur.com/gBRQBQt.mp4
I'm pretty sure 100% of the groups I've gotten have wiped here at least once, it owns :laffo:

i love this part so much. it is always so much carnage

orbonne is still the best alliance raid

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I Like Both Parts (and also I largely like SB more than HW)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Agreed. SB's themes resonated with me a lot more than HW's.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Doma isn't Generic Medieval Japan.

It's a lot closer to Generic Medieval China, honestly. Well, Medieval China If It Got Invaded.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Doma isn't Generic Medieval Japan.

It's a lot closer to Generic Medieval China, honestly. Well, Medieval China If It Got Invaded.

Aesthetically yes, though it is pretty weird that for how China it looks it's got samurai and ninja and Japanese names.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To broach a more general topic: when making dialogue choices, how many here treat the WoL as a character in their own right instead of an extension of yourself? Because there have been points where I passed over what might have been a funnier or spicier dialogue option simply because I couldn't envision my WoL saying it for whatever reason

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, its Hingashi that is the Edo period Japan analogue.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
hide then shikuchi really fast to a boss while still hidden and you can trick attack with no mudra cool nin trickz

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
"With the last of your strength, crawl to Camp Broken Glass".

Gods this place sucks so much.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Azim Steppe is the only part of SB that felt properly paced, the rest was too rushed. It feels like you spend ten minutes in Ala Mhigo, despite it having three zones. I loved all the sidequests there, it has a lot of cool little nooks and crannies, the plot just doesn't give it time to breathe, imo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SirPhoebos posted:

To broach a more general topic: when making dialogue choices, how many here treat the WoL as a character in their own right instead of an extension of yourself? Because there have been points where I passed over what might have been a funnier or spicier dialogue option simply because I couldn't envision my WoL saying it for whatever reason

Yeah, my Warrior of Light is, if nothing else, quite a bit more patient than me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

She's generally pretty similar to me, but I've definitely also picked options because they seemed more like her than me.

And related to that: we're great at selling fish and bad at subtle questioning

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I generally pick the most generically heroic options available, so I guess?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I totally play my WoL with a distinct moral code. She'll take the snarky option when it's to do some friendly ribbing on the scions but when it's an NPC in trouble she's 100% gung-ho and supportive (even when said trouble is "I need a box moved please").

(Endwalker ending) However, I also totally chose that option, which established that there's a sinister edge at her core: that deep down she's selfishly loving this poo poo, and she's never admitted that to anyone ever before. Which is rad as poo poo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, as I've played I've kind of developed a broad sense of my WoL's personality and choose dialogue options accordingly (usually relatively nice options because she's a weirdly nice person despite being a murder elemental). This makes it frustrating when the game doesn't give me anything that fits -- like last night, when I was doing some pretty heavy Shadowbringers MSQ, and (5.0 level 77) the game wasn't giving me any options to tell Minfilia-Ryne "Thancred isn't treating you great, you don't owe him anything, don't feel obligated to him if you need to take care of yourself first." Some of that is probably leak from me having Thancred Thoughts, but I feel like my WoL would have more concerns about this whole loving mess!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. My WoL is very earnest and only chooses jokey options when the stakes are low. But I did (MSQ ending) tell Zenos he was right, I do like having cool fights. I like the idea that the WoL is sincere, but still in a little over his head. He's along for the ride and just kind of likes fighting as much as helping people (I am not an omnicrafter).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Re: Spicy Alliance raids of late - we're in that weird area immediately after Early Access where the kind/skilled/grateful EA players are no longer the norm. They're still around, but the irony-poisoned edgelords started creeping in after the official expansion launch. Like, my morning's LotA run had an Alliance that almost wiped on Atomos by blinking their pads just enough to interrupt everyone's DPS while saying they were the only folks who mattered, then wiped on Phlegethon by staying in for the first Ancient Flare while saying they don't make mistakes. It's so unoriginal and unnecessary

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Maybe I've just been in bad late-night groups, but even LotA and Syrcus have been kinda spicy lately -- haven't seen a lot of wipes, but people are eating deaths regularly on content where I wouldn't expect it. I think people really aren't used to respecting the mechanics and/or don't know them, and the stat squish is making that obvious? Kind of wild, if also kind of predictable in retrospect.

Eh, I think it's more a symptom of the new expansion than the stat squish itself. Had an Orbonne Monestary the other day, and it felt the same as ever. Meaning half the raid is sprouts and the required wipe to the second to last boss. And the Syrcus Tower bosses die as quickly as ever. People are just returning to the game in droves and the majority are bad at videogames.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SirPhoebos posted:

I do have a character in mind for my WoL, and had one thought up when I started a month ago. Of course I couldn’t actually have the character I wanted because he’s a male Viera. But I had in my head his responses to the story and tried to stick to them as best as possible.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

isk posted:

Re: Spicy Alliance raids of late - we're in that weird area immediately after Early Access where the kind/skilled/grateful EA players are no longer the norm. They're still around, but the irony-poisoned edgelords started creeping in after the official expansion launch. Like, my morning's LotA run had an Alliance that almost wiped on Atomos by blinking their pads just enough to interrupt everyone's DPS while saying they were the only folks who mattered, then wiped on Phlegethon by staying in for the first Ancient Flare while saying they don't make mistakes. It's so unoriginal and unnecessary

I once saw a dude die to the Flare and then say "sorry, had to scratch my balls" in /alliance. He was trolling the whole drat raid, so I didn't believe him, but... I wanted to believe.

(Also had a dude legit DC on a Flare and reconnect moments after dying, but that presumably wasn't intentional. I think I gave him my comm just for having such a bad beat.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Antivehicular posted:

I once saw a dude die to the Flare and then say "sorry, had to scratch my balls" in /alliance. He was trolling the whole drat raid, so I didn't believe him, but... I wanted to believe.

(Also had a dude legit DC on a Flare and reconnect moments after dying, but that presumably wasn't intentional. I think I gave him my comm just for having such a bad beat.)

I love watching a lone, stubborn Samurai just sit inside the bubble and die from time to time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

isk posted:

I did an 89 trial today where I was the only non-new person (helping a guildy) and didn't remember enough to help. One heal left after three attempts. The replacement stopped fighting halfway through and just complained that people kept getting hit by mechanics until we kicked them. Last person, we won. It's a week in with a group full of newbies, don't complain that they're new!

It was fun to watch though, because everyone kept doing better each attempt. Some folks get to phase 2... most folks get to phase 2... everyone makes it to phase 2 and we finish that... It was lovely.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kongming posted:

I didn't get the frog mech mount from the ShB FATE until just last month so I'll probably get the the EW one in two years time.

I explicitly set out to do this today since it was scheduled to fire sometime but I got logged out and when I got through the queue a second time it was already gone :negative:

SirPhoebos posted:

MSQ is Serious Business and Heroism, everything else I go for comedy when presented the option

Exception: ...Kupo?

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I did an 89 trial today where I was the only non-new person (helping a guildy) and didn't remember enough to help. One heal left after three attempts. The replacement stopped fighting halfway through and just complained that people kept getting hit by mechanics until we kicked them. Last person, we won. It's a week in with a group full of newbies, don't complain that they're new!

It was fun to watch though, because everyone kept doing better each attempt. Some folks get to phase 2... most folks get to phase 2... everyone makes it to phase 2 and we finish that... It was lovely.

I healed an 89 trial today for roulettes where I and I think 1 of the tanks were the only non-newbies and it owned, there is nothing more fun as a healer than dragging a party kicking and screaming across the finish line. Granted, I did spend the weekend grinding the ex version of it so I knew the fight inside and out already. I was able to slap a marker on myself and told everyone to follow me after the first wipe + was able to brute force keep up everyone through the mistakes long enough to just eke out a win. Was way more fun than the typical broil spam fest you can sleepwalk through for roulettes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, but why are people doing the 89 trial for the first time without using the Trust?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Clarste posted:

Okay, but why are people doing the 89 trial for the first time without using the Trust?

because sometimes the content is better when you struggle a little - or, some people have more fun playing with friends than they do with NPCs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

Guildy's response afterward was "oh you can do that? I guess I clicked too fast because I wanted to get the fight in before I had to go."

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Every queue we wait
All the hours it takes
Waiting patiently
To be moved ahead

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
So as someone who left off after playing from launch through hw and then trying stormblood, how do I go about getting back in? Do I just have to finish stormblood and shadowbringers to get to endwalker?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

So as someone who left off after playing from launch through hw and then trying stormblood, how do I go about getting back in? Do I just have to finish stormblood and shadowbringers to get to endwalker?

Yep, just buy Endwalker and you get the other expansions, then you have a lot of game to get through before you get to EW.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

The duties are more interesting without having a bunch of computers instantly showing me how to do it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Clarste posted:

Because I tried it with trusts and kept dying :v:

But then I had a great experience in the duty finder, like usual. We had a bunch of wipes, but we were all learning together and dodged almost every mechanic perfectly in the last run, it was great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

It's really good tbh.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Are you guys all still playing on Excalibur? I think I’m on goblin

Also, should I pay $39.99 on mogstation for endwalker? It’s showing $19.99 on ps5 but I wanna make sure that isn’t a starter account price or something only for new accounts.

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 14, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, gently caress doing the raids that are fun and interesting, i want to do LotA and ST until the day I die
Yeah for real; I basically fall asleep whenever one of the 50 raids in ADR shows up. Doesn't help that I'm currently leveling BLM and 50 BLM is boring as hell after experiencing 80+ BLM.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, gently caress doing the raids that are fun and interesting, i want to do LotA and ST until the day I die

take off your pants

and whatever else until your ilevel is only in the ARR range

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Begemot posted:

I haven't gotten the Nier raids since the stat squish... Puppets Bunker is gonna be a shitshow....

Maybe I got lucky but I had an ADR of PB the other day that went perfectly fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Are you guys all still playing on Excalibur? I think I’m on goblin

Also, should I pay $39.99 on mogstation for endwalker? It’s showing $19.99 on ps5 but I wanna make sure that isn’t a starter account price or something only for new accounts.
Its $40, you must be looking at the starter edition on PS5, or anyway even if it is $20 you have to buy it on each platform you want to play it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

take off your pants

and whatever else until your ilevel is only in the ARR range

I'm alone at home, pants were never an option.