Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Judakel posted:

did you get covid? because your brain is just one big hole

If it's a choice between that and posting the same opinions as Bust Rodd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The United States posted:

Wow nice to see so many posters who are not asian proclaim that asian jokes are definitely not a problem and if you have a problem with it you're just a stick in the mud SJW

It's not like there was any recent event that caused asian racism to increase recently

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Wow nice to see so many posters who are not asian proclaim that asian jokes are definitely not a problem and if you have a problem with it you're just a stick in the mud SJW

thats right

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Do you think an Asian person would be able to declare Asian jokes in art a no-go?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If it's a choice between that and posting the same opinions as Bust Rodd...

Your opinions are poo poo, too. Don't worry.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Judakel posted:

Do you think an Asian person would be able to declare Asian jokes in art a no-go?
Do you think anyone has that power? Why do you create this imaginary asian bogeyman who threatens to embargo certain types of jokes in art?

It's about what certain people think is cool and acceptable, what they can laugh off and ignore because it doesn't bother them. What do they have in common?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is this what they teach in film school

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Is that movie supposed to be a gendered flipped Lolita?

And was it advertised that way at all?
Like is the audience supposed to know about the relationship going in like they do with other movies?

Serf
May 5, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Is that movie supposed to be a gendered flipped Lolita?

And was it advertised that way at all?
Like is the audience supposed to know about the relationship going in like they do with other movies?

the two leads both look kinda hosed up so i had no idea there was an age difference plot element

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

yes

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Do you think anyone has that power? Why do you create this imaginary asian bogeyman who threatens to embargo certain types of jokes in art?

It's about what certain people think is cool and acceptable, what they can laugh off and ignore because it doesn't bother them. What do they have in common?

I asked you a question because you seemed to think that would mean something to us. You missed the loving point.

I'd imagine constant saber-rattling towards China is a 1000% bigger source of anti-Asian hate than art. What your loving point here? That only certain things should be permissible in art?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i'm sure the director of boogie nights made a movie about how its actually cool to be a pedophile and a racist. this is definitely a sane reading of the film and not the desperate scramblings of clout chasing twitter children

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
taxi driver was about how only a crazy misogynist incel would think pedophilia is wrong

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Serf posted:

the two leads both look kinda hosed up so i had no idea there was an age difference plot element

Ah okay.

Trusting C-spam here. Are the asian jokes serving another purpose, or is it just straight-up: "Yo, gently caress Asians."

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Ah okay.

Trusting C-spam here. Are the asian jokes serving another purpose, or is it just straight-up: "Yo, gently caress Asians."

the purpose is that the characters are racists

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/negaversace/status/1467942748825305095

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

taxi driver was about how only a crazy misogynist incel would think pedophilia is wrong

thank goodness our society has since taken a clear stand against pedophilia so that people would no longer have cause to believe that pedo conspiracies control the world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

i need more period pieces, i liked last duel too much
what kind of period piece, or rather, what setting

kingdom of heaven director's cut
green knight
gladiator
master & commander
excalibur
last temptation of christ
the witch
the favourite
crouching tiger hidden dragon
sleepy hollow

period piece-y drama:
little women
emma

theres also kinda mediocre stuff like
braveheart
dragon heart
first knight
troy
mask of zorro

i opted not to list Westerns but there's also a lot there

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Dec 14, 2021

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

An entertainer entertaining an army
That's something nobody has even experienced before.
It's so surreal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHYnb5sRK40

I don't give a poo poo how many tweets that person made, that mother fucker was born yesterday.
Still, better than movie brain guy tho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Echo Chamber posted:

Honestly I appreciate how Anita was one of the few people from yesterday's internet culture war who didn't use her increased profile to punch left or "join the club". She just mostly stayed in her corner of the internet, wanting to just (poorly) talk about how sexist pop culture is long after it stopped being cool to do so.

Shame she's sticking she's sticking her neck out on a weird hill to die on.

gotta carry the torch of 2013 era tumblr discourse somewhere outside of YA twitter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

was there ever a serious issue those two turds were on the right side of except for the easy slam dunks ("gay people are human too" wow so deep and inspiring, oh and that time the moron cop shits on ayn rand)

depends a lot on you define serious issue and easy slam dunk but the take they had on alcoholics anonymous was relatively novel and feels disturbingly relevant in the current age of self care mental health therapy that encourages people to think of their material circumstances as fundamentally unchangeable and has been manifestly lovely at solving mental health issues given how much this problem has exploded in recent years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

simple plot summary if you havent seen it is randy does dumb poo poo while drunk and is convinced by aa that he has a disease and that he needs to be cured by a virgin mary statue thats miraculously bleeding out its rear end rather than just cutting back on drinking

the replacement of legitimate self motivation with shallow mantras feels like a pretty serious societal problem to me that motivates a fuckton of this subforums content beyond just that one specific example

https://mobile.twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i rarely rewatch movies but did master & commander and the witch both again this year, two of my all-time favs. i want something dialogue heavy, spoken english not necessary. i watched the lesbian painter one on the windswept island this year but was bored to death

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Dec 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

depends a lot on you define serious issue and easy slam dunk but the take they had on alcoholics anonymous was relatively novel and feels disturbingly relevant in the current age of self care mental health therapy that encourages people to think of their material circumstances as fundamentally unchangeable and has been manifestly lovely at solving mental health issues given how much this problem has exploded in recent years

Yeah, the whole bit where the Devil explains how the process of addiction works on a physical and brain chemistry level is a pretty drat revealing this. Especially in comparison to how addiction is otherwise near-universally treated exclusively as a moral/spiritual failing of the individual. And they even touched on how people, cultures and societies justify indulging in and profiting from addictions, and how it can such a no-win situation.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Doctor Jeep posted:

was there ever a serious issue those two turds were on the right side of except for the easy slam dunks ("gay people are human too" wow so deep and inspiring, oh and that time the moron cop shits on ayn rand)

Their Brittney Spears episode holds up a lot better than most media depicting her at the time as does the episode about the town's quest to gentrify itself so they can attract a Whole Foods. Both their Black Friday trilogy and the Amazon two parter display ideas like how Black Friday violence is purposefully amplified by media and corporations in tandem for both sales goals and audience ratings, and that Amazon's ultimate goal is to redefine Americans as a society of consumer-workers, neither viewpoints that would strike me as libertarian. They were also ahead of the ball on ideas how murky the idea of internet monetization of content is, the scumminess in how modern Disney protects its brand, or the new atheism movement being stupid.

They also do things that don't really fit in the normal binary such as how the Craig and Tweek relationship progressed or their fairly lib jokes about Mr. Garrison's (their Trump analogue) relationship with Fox News or how he needs to stop tweeting since its causing mental harm. Their most recent special had antivaxxer character want to do a line of coke until he realized he was being tricked into getting the COVID vaccine and the show never tries to say that he maybe has a point and has him unintentionally state that he is being selfish.

I think that even considering Parker and Stone's politics (moreso Parker because he writes the show, Stone mostly manages the production), South Park's two extreme factions with the main characters in the middle routine is only so noticeable simply because it's the show's underlying narrative formula even when the episode is about something more inane like criminals who robbed a Burger King holding the kids hostage at a living history museum where the reenactors are all psychotic method actors. It's just the central conceit of the show and the politics are incidental to that.

CPFortest has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Dec 14, 2021

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CPFortest posted:

They were also ahead of the ball on ideas how murky the idea of internet monetization of content is,

That was literally an anti-union episode that mocked the idea that WGA deserved new compensation for their work because "there's no money to be made on the internet"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

i rarely rewatch movies but did master & commander and the witch both again this year, two of my all-time favs. i want something dialogue heavy, spoken english not necessary. i watched the lesbian painter one on the windswept island this year but was bored to death

ya master and commander owned. shame we prob won't get movies like that made again. the attention to historic detail and sperging out about proper ship knots or w/e is cool.

i think i suggested some good ones for you then

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

KomradeX posted:

That was literally an anti-union episode that mocked the idea that WGA deserved new compensation for their work because "there's no money to be made on the internet"

You're right but I'm taking that in comparison to their Amazon episodes which has a scene with an Amazon worker talking to a reporter about the importance of how management treats labor and the only joke in the scene is that his workplace injury turned him into a talking Amazon package. My point is that good or bad politics notwithstanding. South Park always has a faction with both outlandish personalities and ridiculous goals that are outraged over something the show's writing portrays as neglectful, stupid, or evil butting up against a lethargic opposition and/or the uncaring/uninformed main characters. Each of the Wal Mart, Towelie, the Alien TV show, "They took our jobs", and Ladder to Heaven episodes along with the Movie all have the exact same formula just off the top of my head.

Besides, while they were wrong, South Park isn't unique as a piece of American media that aired circa 2006 to 2009 that had a hypocritical position on the 07 Writer's Strike.

CPFortest has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Dec 14, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm so tired. I am interested in watching the movie so I'm not looking for spoilers, but does the segment at least make sense in the context of the film or is it just some random ching-chong-wing-wong poo poo thrown in for shits and giggles?

I'm grown up enough to know that depiction isn't necessarily an endorsement.

so the bit is this white guy and his Japanese wife (who doesn't speak English) open a sushi restaurant. he talks to her in very slow, loud, racist-accented English and she talks in very fast Japanese. the first scene with them leaves some ambiguity as to how much he can understand her but the next time he shows up, he has a new Japanese wife who doesn't speak English and admits he has no idea what she's saying. the protagonists don't critique or call him out for what he's doing, but the husband isn't portrayed as sympathetic either. it's made pretty clear that the wife is the competent one actually running the place, food and business wise, so the joke isn't exclusively the husband's accent like Mickey Rooney, it's more their weird dynamic as a couple and how uncontroversial his behavior was for the valley in the 70s

it's also two scenes total out of the whole film, one of the many vignetted stories

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Dec 14, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
If you're engaging with a work of narrative art and you can't judge a character without taking it as the author's endorsement of that character's actions then I don't know what to tell you, besides that context matters.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zisky posted:

If you're engaging with a work of narrative art and you can't judge a character without taking it as the author's endorsement of that character's actions then I don't know what to tell you, besides that context matters.

i would hope that when a movie or whatever depicts a racist character without someone explicitly calling them out or looking directly into the camera to tell the audience "wow this is bad" that the audience's reaction isn't "racism... good?"

like obviously you're gonna have racists who consume art uncritically and take it at face value, but on the other end of the spectrum are these weirdos who think that showing something means you think that thing is cool and great and that society should definitely embrace it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i watched it recently and kingdom of heaven is still pretty bad with the directors cut

possibly worse cause its now 16 hours long

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Serf posted:

i would hope that when a movie or whatever depicts a racist character without someone explicitly calling them out or looking directly into the camera to tell the audience "wow this is bad" that the audience's reaction isn't "racism... good?"

like obviously you're gonna have racists who consume art uncritically and take it at face value, but on the other end of the spectrum are these weirdos who think that showing something means you think that thing is cool and great and that society should definitely embrace it

This is one reason why studios only fund sanitized marvel movies these days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The key thing is that you always get at best incredibly vague descriptions of what the poster actually finds objectionable, if not just 'This movie has A Bad Thing, Do Not Watch' with no further elaboration.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Xaris posted:

kingdom of heaven director's cut
green knight
gladiator
master & commander
excalibur
last temptation of christ
the witch
the favourite
crouching tiger hidden dragon
sleepy hollow

period piece-y drama:
little women
emma

theres also kinda mediocre stuff like
braveheart
dragon heart
first knight
troy
mask of zorro

i opted not to list Westerns but there's also a lot there

Put Oliver Stone's Alexander on the list you coward. Pure cinema. And you get to see Jared Leto die.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zisky posted:

This is one reason why studios only fund sanitized marvel movies these days.

i remember watching the ww2 zombie flick "overlord" which has the ahistorical premise of a black soldier serving in the same unit as white soldiers, and opens with a lot of tension between him and the rest of the squad. as someone with a little historical awareness the viewer is probably right to assume that this is due to racism. after all, it makes sense for the time period. but what we find out is that the real reason they're all mad at him is that he broke some rule during basic training that resulted in all of them having to do extra work. at no point does anyone, american or nazi, make reference to the fact that he is black, and at the end the leadership accepts his explanation of the events without issue

its one of the most cowardly moves i've seen in recent years on top of just being loving boring

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It was a good Wolfenstein movie. Also has Kurt Russel Jnr and the pirate from Game of Thrones.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Serf posted:

i remember watching the ww2 zombie flick "overlord" which has the ahistorical premise of a black soldier serving in the same unit as white soldiers, and opens with a lot of tension between him and the rest of the squad. as someone with a little historical awareness the viewer is probably right to assume that this is due to racism. after all, it makes sense for the time period. but what we find out is that the real reason they're all mad at him is that he broke some rule during basic training that resulted in all of them having to do extra work. at no point does anyone, american or nazi, make reference to the fact that he is black, and at the end the leadership accepts his explanation of the events without issue

its one of the most cowardly moves i've seen in recent years on top of just being loving boring

He speaks French too, which is very handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

It was a good Wolfenstein movie. Also has Kurt Russel Jnr and the pirate from Game of Thrones.

wolfenstein deserves a better treatment than that boring piece of poo poo