Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

DarkHorse posted:

I don't have Facebook any more but apparently there's a page called "Thiccles the fat purple ringneck " which, sold on title alone

But they also apparently have two green cheeks called "the beans" who were siblings and having an incestuous love affair. They had been oiling the eggs but apparently missed one, because hello incest baby

They named him Joffrey :kimchi:

And of course the parrots you don't want breeding turn out to be amazing first time parents

don't worry about it too much. compared to pure breed dogs, those two bird parents are like foreign exchange students .

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 13, 2021

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Vaguely related...what do we know about common ancestors of parrots? Parrots of the Ice Age or earlier. Where did parrots come from that so many species are found in such different places of the world, I wonder as I remember my member of an African species interacting with a cockatiel from Australia.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I would like to give consensual scritches to this bird

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Friend of mine did up a painting in procreate she titled “King Crow,” which I used some of my personal project allowances at work to have printed on acrylic (with an extra copy for me, with her permission.)

Since I know we have some corvid fans in the thread, for your consideration:

Just didn't want this getting lost on the last page. Beautiful work.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Vaguely related...what do we know about common ancestors of parrots? Parrots of the Ice Age or earlier. Where did parrots come from that so many species are found in such different places of the world, I wonder as I remember my member of an African species interacting with a cockatiel from Australia.

Hey, I know a thing or two about this sort of thing.

The fossil record is unclear, with some estimations putting the earliest parrots (which wouldn't have been as specialized as modern parrots) in the late cretaceous, prior to the extinction that killed the dinosaurs, and some estimates say maybe Eocene, so you're looking at somewhere between 50 and 66 million years ago. They've definitely been around for a long time. Probably originated in what is now Australasia and spread from there, but yeah, again, the fossil record is not clear and there are definitely specimens where there's some debate about whether something is a parrot or not, but even the most conservative estimates still give parrots a very long lineage. If parrots are everywhere, it's because they've had time to get everywhere.

To compare, the earliest primate fossils are about 53 million years old, though they might have been around for ten or so million years earlier.

Right now we have three extant lineages of parrot. The new Zealand parrots, Strigopodia, are generally put at the base of the phylogenetic tree. They're older, probably more like what the earliest modern parrots were like, probably around 20 million years ago. The Cacatuoidea (the cockatoos, including cockatiels) and the Psittacoidea (literally everything else), are usually assumed to have diverged from the strigopodia, possibly from the same ancestor. It's very possible there were other lineages, but we just don't know about them.

Also falcons seem to be a sister group to parrots, even if they look and act like hawks/eagles.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

God I'm sure glad I have that totally nonsensical biology minor lol

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

Hey, I know a thing or two about this sort of thing.

The fossil record is unclear, with some estimations putting the earliest parrots (which wouldn't have been as specialized as modern parrots) in the late cretaceous, prior to the extinction that killed the dinosaurs, and some estimates say maybe Eocene, so you're looking at somewhere between 50 and 66 million years ago. They've definitely been around for a long time. Probably originated in what is now Australasia and spread from there, but yeah, again, the fossil record is not clear and there are definitely specimens where there's some debate about whether something is a parrot or not, but even the most conservative estimates still give parrots a very long lineage. If parrots are everywhere, it's because they've had time to get everywhere.

To compare, the earliest primate fossils are about 53 million years old, though they might have been around for ten or so million years earlier.

Right now we have three extant lineages of parrot. The new Zealand parrots, Strigopodia, are generally put at the base of the phylogenetic tree. They're older, probably more like what the earliest modern parrots where like, probably around 20 million years ago. The Cacatuoidea (the cockatoos, including cockatiels) and the Psittacoidea (literally everything else), are usually assumed to have diverged from the strigopodia, possibly from the same ancestor. It's very possible there were other lineages, but we just don't know about them.

Also falcons seem to be a sister group to parrots, even if they look and act like hawks/eagles.

There is an alternate timeline where the New Zealand parrots became the dominant lineage and every continent is full of horny green muppet-chickens and I want to live in that world. :parrot:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Are the New Zealand parrots only the Kakapo? I always thought there was only Cockatoo vs. Non-Cockatoo, but it makes sense if Kakapos are off on their own little genetic island. Because they are off on their own little island.

I love that parrots without any threat of predation evolve into the most asinine animal possible.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Are the New Zealand parrots only the Kakapo? I always thought there was only Cockatoo vs. Non-Cockatoo, but it makes sense if Kakapos are off on their own little genetic island. Because they are off on their own little island.

I love that parrots without any threat of predation evolve into the most asinine animal possible.

New Zealand's native ecology is kind of fascinating, what birds can do when there's no mammals around.

But yeah, it's the kakapo, several species of kaka, and my own personal favourite, the kea, who are the only alpine parrot and apparently the terror of ski resorts. I would like to visit new Zealand just to make friends with keas.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Forget parrots, weka are where it's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgA3CN2PH0

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

GotLag posted:

Forget parrots, weka are where it's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgA3CN2PH0

*adjusts slider that says # of Weka on earth all the way up so they are now the dominant species on earth*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

New Zealand's native ecology is kind of fascinating, what birds can do when there's no mammals around.

But yeah, it's the kakapo, several species of kaka, and my own personal favourite, the kea, who are the only alpine parrot and apparently the terror of ski resorts. I would like to visit new Zealand just to make friends with keas.

I still hope parrots beat out cephalopods for the next dominant civilization building species on the planet, sometime in the next hundred million years.

Side Note - I've always wondered if our perception of civilization building as a vital sign of intelligently evolved beings is deeply flawed. We don't have the ability to perceive the universe of other animals, so how can we say with any degree of certainty that parrots/whales/primates aren't culture building or speaking a cogent language?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I still hope parrots beat out cephalopods for the next dominant civilization building species on the planet, sometime in the next hundred million years.

Side Note - I've always wondered if our perception of civilization building as a vital sign of intelligently evolved beings is deeply flawed. We don't have the ability to perceive the universe of other animals, so how can we say with any degree of certainty that parrots/whales/primates aren't culture building or speaking a cogent language?

I 100% agree. Cetacean brains show a degree of complexity that may surpass our own, but they don't have thumbs and what would they need to build if they did? Why would a dolphin ever need to discover fire?

I'm also willing to extend non-human personhood to elephants, crows, ravens, the bigger parrots, and the other great apes. This is all very controversial and I'm weird for it. People are sometimes very surprised to learn I eat meat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I'm also willing to extend non-human personhood to elephants, crows, ravens, the bigger parrots, and the other great apes. This is all very controversial and I'm weird for it. People are sometimes very surprised to learn I eat meat.
Same and same!

It will be difficult for any other species to achieve "society" while we're the dominant species most likely. Any sort of complex society requires enough efficiency that members have some sort of leisure time where they can come up with new ideas/inventions/stories/etc.

I suppose there are a few species of parrots and groups of crows that almost achieve that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I want to just share the moment I had maybe forty five minutes after that last post (made on the side of the road between stops at work) where I got very self conscious and embarrassed about it, but I way no longer in a position to check my phone. This is the sort of topic where I can get, uh, excited. And then later I go "holy poo poo I have no chill." And this is why my family has an entire category of "questions for RoboRodent" because they'll know I'll ramble on about it without any sense of shame.

There used to be a documentary on Netflix about tool use and tool making in keas and new caledonian crows, but I can't find it when I look today. But yeah, we define intelligence as being like us, when there's so many other ways to be intelligent and to have a society. Maybe whalesong is all very deep philosophical discussion, and we'd never know.

Macaws I'm never sure about, because they all have a little bit of "no thoughts, head empty" going on, but I also don't have much experience with them.

Incidentally, Sera's seamless integration of If You're Happy And You Know It and The Addams Family (his two favourite songs) is reaching new heights lately. I think he likes the tongue clicking I taught them to him with, but as far as he's concerned they're the same song.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboRodent posted:

Giant Keas, the terror of Dwarf Fortress.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

God I'm sure glad I have that totally nonsensical biology minor lol

Me too and it's clearly what qualifies you as a mod. Thanks for the information.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kenshin posted:

Same and same!

It will be difficult for any other species to achieve "society" while we're the dominant species most likely. Any sort of complex society requires enough efficiency that members have some sort of leisure time where they can come up with new ideas/inventions/stories/etc.

I suppose there are a few species of parrots and groups of crows that almost achieve that.

Crows achieve that. Pookah will probably vouch for that too. Over the last year and a half of befriending the local American Crow clan I have been honored with a lot of insight to their culture and society and inter-avian interactions -- they're the dominant species in the air, at least locally, and even outside of their intraspecies customs and loyalty they care for other, smaller passerines in their territories (again, at least my local ones do). M has brought pigeons to me to be fed and made it extremely clear that that was what she was doing. They have a degree of culture and communication that would sound legitimately crazy if I tried to go around telling people about it. We as humans just understand very little of it because that intelligence and ability to pass around cultural and community knowledge makes it incredibly difficult for us to study them, when we are even willing to give the benefit of the doubt to do so. If you go to the American Crow Wikipedia page, under "Behavior" is pretty much a single sentence that says "they're too smart, we don't know jack."

A couple things that have been pretty thoroughly documented are that Corvids raise their young and care for a nesting mother as a community (the other birds that help build the nest and feed the mother are called "helpers" :3:) and at nights in the fall and winter tens of thousands of Crows from hundreds of territories gather together before sunset for enormous, noisy conclaves that last until just after sunrise when they all go back to their local territories until night falls again -- there's that leisure time you mentioned. My complex is right under one of the staging area flight paths and seeing them all go by every night is just wild. One of my coworkers actually came across one of those staging areas last month and took a video for me -- thousands of Crows all standing around in an empty mall parking lot, waiting for everybody to arrive before they head out together to the night roost.

I could talk about their culture and community for hours and hours but again -- it makes me sound a little crazy.

My clan started displaying interest in one of my friends who was helping me get to doctor's appointments and get groceries for a while earlier this year, and after some of them started following him home and then showing up at his work he started buying and leaving food for them regularly. A couple days ago they left him the most beautiful silver brooch on his car hood. I thought that was just wonderful. :kimchi:

e: my coworker texted me the video :bird:

https://i.imgur.com/sioa1wI.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 15, 2021

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Also, I love this old Sennie man.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Crows achieve that. Pookah will probably vouch for that too. Over the last year and a half of befriending the local American Crow clan I have been honored with a lot of insight to their culture and society and inter-avian interactions -- they're the dominant species in the air, at least locally, and even outside of their intraspecies customs and loyalty they care for other, smaller passerines in their territories (again, at least my local ones do). M has brought pigeons to me to be fed and made it extremely clear that that was what she was doing. They have a degree of culture and communication that would sound legitimately crazy if I tried to go around telling people about it. We as humans just understand very little of it because that intelligence and ability to pass around cultural and community knowledge makes it incredibly difficult for us to study them, when we are even willing to give the benefit of the doubt to do so. If you go to the American Crow Wikipedia page, under "Behavior" is pretty much a single sentence that says "they're too smart, we don't know jack."

A couple things that have been pretty thoroughly documented are that Corvids raise their young and care for a nesting mother as a community (the other birds that help build the nest and feed the mother are called "helpers" :3:) and at nights in the fall and winter tens of thousands of Crows from hundreds of territories gather together before sunset for enormous, noisy conclaves that last until just after sunrise when they all go back to their local territories until night falls again -- there's that leisure time you mentioned. My complex is right under one of the staging area flight paths and seeing them all go by every night is just wild. One of my coworkers actually came across one of those staging areas last month and took a video for me -- thousands of Crows all standing around in an empty mall parking lot, waiting for everybody to arrive before they head out together to the night roost.

I could talk about their culture and community for hours and hours but again -- it makes me sound a little crazy.

My clan started displaying interest in one of my friends who was helping me get to doctor's appointments and get groceries for a while earlier this year, and after some of them started following him home and then showing up at his work he started buying and leaving food for them regularly. A couple days ago they left him the most beautiful silver brooch on his car hood. I thought that was just wonderful. :kimchi:

Ducking hell I wish I could attract my neighborhood crows attention, I want shiny baubles!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Living in an apartment without a balcony means I don't have a good place to leave food for crows, but I carry salmon flavoured dog treats with me and occasionally offer them. I always say hello, too.

I'm pretty sure one said "hello" to me once, but I was so startled I'm not sure I trust my own ears, and it didn't repeat itself.

Anyway they seem to know me well enough that while they keep their distance, they also aren't particularly afraid of me.

Sera and Ozzy hate crows though, oh my god.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Actually, at my old job we had a pair of crows set up a nest in some trees in the parking lot. I made a point of feeding them when I could. It turned out that my shop steward was also feeding them, and she continues to feed them as they're still hanging around, and she told a story once where leaving work she had a crying spell in the car (because grocery stores have not been great places to work for the past two years) and one of them came to sit with her for a bit.

(she calls them Butch and Cassidy)

When the babies fledged, one of them was a little more hesitant about leaving the trees and crossing the lot to where its parents and sibling were waiting. I took a quick picture of it, but this spooked the baby and it cried out. Immediately one of the parents swooped across screaming angrily, but I looked up at it and it looked at me and I guess it recognised me because it calmed down immediately.

I apologised, though. I genuinely felt bad for scaring a nervous baby.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aw, that coworker story. They are amazingly empathetic animals (people!).

I love that they know you are a kind and trustworthy person, because you definitely are. :kimchi:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Aw, that coworker story. They are amazingly empathetic animals (people!).

I love that they know you are a kind and trustworthy person, because you definitely are. :kimchi:

Ah, gosh, now you're just embarrassing me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
One of the magpie families in the local parklands is a bit odd. Instead of the breeding couple and a variable number of female helpers, this group has two adult males and a female. I am certain that at least one of the males was hand-reared as a rescue - he acts like a subordinate male (something magpies don't seem to really do around here) and once I accidentally brushed his chest with my fingertips while feeding him and he didn't really respond, even when I did it again on purpose and ruffled his chest feathers a little just to check.

Last week I was visiting this group and when the two males came running up to me for delicious treats, one of their youngsters got so carried away it ran up with them, and completely forgot that I am a big scary human until it was about 30 cm away, at which point it panicked and ran away.

Today that youngster (tried to) eat from my hand for the first time! It missed and gently grabbed my fingertip instead of the food and then ran away, but it tried! The little thing doesn't even have a proper set of juvenile feathers, it's still got some of its downy fledgling plumage, and already it's trying to eat from my hand! So precocious!

What should I name this bold little magpie? IRC suggested Biscuit, I am still open to other ideas.

Fake edit: the other unusual thing about this group is how successful they've been, one surviving chick per adult bird is about the best magpies can expect to achieve and they've done it. Their more traditional neighbours have only managed two chicks between four adults.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Captain Log your bird still round?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

SuperKlaus posted:

Captain Log your bird still round?

Inquiring minds want to know.

As of last night, the answer is an affirmative, "heccin' yea."

Sometimes, I try to sneak up on her to catch a picture of her roosting. The results are humorous.

But get this - Even with two flight feathers clipped on each wing to prevent her from hurting herself, she is still fit enough to zoom from room to room with ease. Her weight? Maintaining at 136g for the past few months. With her incredibly controlled diet, the vet is about ready to just declare her a giant cockatiel. Not obese.

I know three people who have her brothers and sisters, and not a single one is under 125g.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

BORRRRRB.

Haven't checked this thread in a while, glad to see large bird is still large

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

She is PLOMP and ready to ROMP.

Also to chime in on crow-chat, my own crow friends were hooded, or grey crows, who are not a flock species. They are absolutely not as inclined to very social behaviors as other crows, but they are very intelligent and observant, so over a period of about 10-15 years, we got very friendly with them, beginning with when we fed them chorizo during a period of unusually cold weather. The high-point was when they saw me sitting outside reading and left their newly fledged chicks to sit out and play near me, while they went foraging.

They made me babysit :3:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I took a circuitous route to the park today, so I could get to the precocious little magpie's family territory first and take some pictures before my fingers were covered in stinky magpie food.

Biscuit!

https://i.imgur.com/cNa4M71.mp4

Still has nestling fluff but already catches thrown food before it hits the ground, and (tried to) eat from my hand, I wasn't expecting this level of development for at least a couple of months yet

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god :lol:

e: oh my god to that baby magpie fluff, too :allears:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just regular cockatoo stuff

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cockatoos are close to peak parrot. They are very very clever, they are very energetic, and they adore causing trouble.
All birds love to throw poo poo on the ground, it seems to be a very basic thing of birds, but cockatoos love to do in the most awesomely spiteful way possible. If they could throw that poo poo so that it landed on people, they would 100% do so.

And they would be entirely justified.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hell yeah, anarchy!

Do nesting spikes accomplish anything? Because I see a lot of little birds nest in between the spikes locally.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Holy poo poo I forgot how loving annoying cage shopping is. 5/8 inch bar spacing? Dimensions are 18x18. 24x24 dimensions? 3/4 inch bar spacing. 5/8 spacing and 24x24? Four hundred dollars per. And God for loving bid you want something that isn't just a squat black eyesore of a cage god loving drat I loving hate cage shopping

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

not to mention that any aftermarket powder coat job suitable for Birb would be monstrously expensive :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cat and dog people don't know how good they got it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've spent $0 on magpie cages :smuggo: