Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Atoramos posted:

Got to the presumed end of this one in about 72 hours or so. I dunno, didn't like it so much. Very much feels like a first js project game without the fun flavor of wigs or pachinko

Yeah I just tried this today and gave up when the third batch of upgrades was just "improve previous upgrades again I guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sivart13 posted:

Loop Odyssey just released, looks like basically Idle Loops with pictures which is everything I want.

I'm surprised it didn't release into Early Access, but it was in private beta for a while so hopefully any issues have been ironed out.

The fact that there's only 3 steam achievements makes me wonder if it's kinda light, though the Reddit post claims it has "80+ hours of semi-idle gameplay"

Picked this up, any idea how to change what you spend your level on?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hughlander posted:

Picked this up, any idea how to change what you spend your level on?

Interact for spirit, talk for heart, fight for body. It lists all three as separate actions with their own familiarity rating on the altar itself.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
You change what you spend your level on by doing a different action button, like it says on the altar's tooltip.

I'm having a hard time getting into the game due to an obnoxious lack of information -- you can't append actions onto the end of your loop live like you could in Cavernous or Increlution, which would let you actually see what state you're in at any point, but things also don't meticulously explain what they do like things in Idle Loops did so you can actually figure it out (at least for the short term effects, Idle Loops let actions' permanent effects be a little mysterious sometimes which is fine). The rats should say how much damage they do (or damage they do per mana? it's not even clear how the damage is calculated), the fireflies should tell you that they give up to 500 mana per use on their tooltip and not just in the log, the gate should let you see what its crossing cost will be even while it's not currently broken, you should be able to see how much XP a level takes so you don't waste actions at the altar, etcetera.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Interact for spirit, talk for heart, fight for body. It lists all three as separate actions with their own familiarity rating on the altar itself.

Thanks, that makes sense in retrospect. I decided that I'm going to put it on hold and finish idle loops instead.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
650 for an idle game with 80 hours sounds like a lot. for a regular one sure but if anything about this is accurate that sounds suspect. like, mine defense is several weeks and 650 would be about right

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Really enjoying loop odyssey so far, but I am like 100% the mark for this kind of game considering how much I enjoyed idle loops

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I am also enjoying Loop Odyssey, but the handling of familiarity is so different from the games it takes inspiration from, that it has been hard to wrap my head around. Normally in generational loop games, when you get better at doing X, you are better at doing X everywhere. Spending a few lives killing wolves makes you better at killing rats at the beginning and dragons at the end. Here, all it does is make you better at killing those exact wolves. Not even all wolves, just literally those exact wolves. You don't get better at travelling, you get better at walking over this one, specific tile. It makes it feel like if you want to change your overall route, you have wasted all of your time up to that point, since none of that familiarity helps anywhere else.

Maybe once I get further something will change this (like the campfire sacrifice thing, which helps somewhat), but its definitely a new take on the genre.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'm enjoying loop Odyssey too, but agreed on the familiarity not applying to clones of the same entity being kind of a downer. I hope there's some sort of cap on familiarity though or else using alternate routes will always feel bad, even late game. The two bonuses I've gotten from using the bonfire so far are also boring, but obviously powerful enough to be worth grinding.

Two things that are not obvious at all and should be signposted in-game: you can run past most monsters that are blocking passages. It costs a lot of mana to do though, but you can tell which ones you can run from by whether they have a movement cost or not.

You can also heal hitpoints by eating the fireflys (use the attack command). One HP per firefly, and note that you only need one command to eat all remaining in the stack, so get any mana you need from them first!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arbetor posted:

Normally in generational loop games, when you get better at doing X, you are better at doing X everywhere. Spending a few lives killing wolves makes you better at killing rats at the beginning and dragons at the end. Here, all it does is make you better at killing those exact wolves.

This would make me bounce off it hard. I'm glad I had other things to do and didn't just jump straight at it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You will eventually unlock "skills" that do things that are more global.

Tile specific experience tends to have decreasing returns, so you aren't losing that much if you switch up, although the first few runs are going to be sticky.

Also, when you meet characters, their description on the map changes as you get to know them better :)

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Manyorcas posted:

You can also heal hitpoints by eating the fireflys (use the attack command). One HP per firefly, and note that you only need one command to eat all remaining in the stack, so get any mana you need from them first!

I was confused about this, since the game just told me that there was nothing to fight. Turns out this is an unlockable thing. So far, I have unlocked four kinds of permanent upgrades:

Familiarity - each action on a tile (move, interact, talk, and fight) has a mana cost, and each time you do that action you earn experience that reduces the mana cost. This is per tile and per action.
Affinity - You can burn corpses at campfires to gain experience for the monster class you burned. Each level of affinity increases the experience you gain by 10% (additive, not compounding).
Buffs - Talk to an NPC enough times, they will eventually give you permanent buffs. This is also how you unlock firefly eating. This takes dozens to hundreds of conversations.
Time Elf or something? I dunno, they are one time things, give you some small off-line time buff thing.

And yeah, the diminishing returns on the tiles are pretty strong - that first fenced area is going to get really fast, but swapping between the left half of the first map and the right half of the first map doesn't feel too bad. I still haven't tried some stuff - murdering the NPCs, getting out of the first map, etc. so early days still.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Manyorcas posted:

I'm enjoying loop Odyssey too, but agreed on the familiarity not applying to clones of the same entity being kind of a downer. I hope there's some sort of cap on familiarity though or else using alternate routes will always feel bad, even late game. The two bonuses I've gotten from using the bonfire so far are also boring, but obviously powerful enough to be worth grinding.

Two things that are not obvious at all and should be signposted in-game: you can run past most monsters that are blocking passages. It costs a lot of mana to do though, but you can tell which ones you can run from by whether they have a movement cost or not.

The eating fireflies thing is a thing you unlock by talking to the fisherman enough times, its one of the skills that arbitrary mentioned. Additionally I think theres no theoretical upper limit on familiarity, but there are significant diminishing returns, its absolutely worthwhile to change your route if you find an overall more efficient path to your route even if its less efficient in the short run due to familiarity.

Edit: Something I will say with regards to talking to NPCs for buffs/skills, the story book for each NPC will tell you when you reach the final unlock, otherwise theres still more stuff you can get from them.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 10, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I don't think I've even found the Fisherman yet... Is there any map or guide that anyone has seen?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Whoops, I must have thought I read all the entries and missed that one.

Hughlander posted:

I don't think I've even found the Fisherman yet... Is there any map or guide that anyone has seen?

When you first find water after leaving the fenced area, follow some grass alongside the water and run past the creature there to find the fisherman.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Hughlander posted:

Heres zone 1

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm also liking Loop Odyssey so far. As a puzzle game, it actually reminds me a little bit of Desktop Dungeons as far as the needing to use every little resource at your disposal to get to the next part. Though unlike a true puzzle game there are big chunks of time when you just need to let it run by itself.

That's something I have trouble with in these games though; I keep watching the little guy go around even though the best move is to usually set something up and wait a long long time.

There's lots of fiddly nitpicks I could probably make. Being unable to edit the timeline other than by drag-and-drop is egregious; it would be nice to change the verb at altars for the very least. But so far the game plays about like I expected, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Arbetor posted:

So far, I have unlocked four kinds of permanent upgrades
you can also interact with the scarecrow

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Sivart13 posted:

There's lots of fiddly nitpicks I could probably make. Being unable to edit the timeline other than by drag-and-drop is egregious; it would be nice to change the verb at altars for the very least. But so far the game plays about like I expected, and I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Worth noting you can place actions with wasd and ert. Definitely agree that editing the command list is probably the roughest part of the game so far though. Especially since the game lags noticeably when scrolling through the action list.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

MikusR posted:

Another new one is https://zakuro98.github.io/EXP-Simulator/ It's simple and imho quite good looking for a pure text based UI. In a couple prestiges you unlock automation and autoclicking.

Does anyone know what the last couple hidden achievements are for this one?

I got the sixth from the bottom by clicking on the achievement and there's another for doing a full reboot with the "???" notation selected. There's still 4 blank ones though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

Definitely agree that editing the command list is probably the roughest part of the game so far though.
it seems like a bizarre oversight that you can't just add/change actions in the middle because

* it already has a 'selected' indicator for actions (that is used for drag and drop)
* it already reacts successfully to things being dropped to an arbitrary point in the timeline

all the dev needs to do is make it so clicking / typing an action while something is selected adds it after the current selection and advances the selection

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Chiming in with the conditional praise for Loop Oddysey. It's more fiddly than a typical idler, but if you're the right person for it, it's oddly compelling trying to figure out ways to maximize your gains.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Having maxed out half the available jobs in SS13 Idle, I am genuinely at a loss for how to continue. The boss that you have to beat for the item that lets you reset has a combat level of 189 and 89% damage resistance, while I have like a level of 116 equipped with everything from the max leveled jobs. Even the stuff from the loot boxes you get from the other bosses doesn't seem like a real improvement. Does the guy just have a dumb gimmick that makes him look stronger than he is?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red Minjo posted:

Having maxed out half the available jobs in SS13 Idle, I am genuinely at a loss for how to continue. The boss that you have to beat for the item that lets you reset has a combat level of 189 and 89% damage resistance, while I have like a level of 116 equipped with everything from the max leveled jobs. Even the stuff from the loot boxes you get from the other bosses doesn't seem like a real improvement. Does the guy just have a dumb gimmick that makes him look stronger than he is?

No gimmick, you just need the best gear you can get a hold of, top shelf food and a bit of luck. Stack fire res, regen and accuracy.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DariusLikewise posted:

Does anyone know what the last couple hidden achievements are for this one?

I got the sixth from the bottom by clicking on the achievement and there's another for doing a full reboot with the "???" notation selected. There's still 4 blank ones though.

i had to cheat the f in chat one in because even looking at the code it seemed like pressing f should make it fire, and it never did and i was basically done with the game at that point anyhow

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Red Minjo posted:

Hmm.
The doppleganger looks tough, but the low HP means they're more of a pushover than they look.
Honestly, think I had more trouble with the syndicates.
Evasion is your friend here; Doppleganger hits hard, but slow enough that top-tier quality cookin can usually outheal the lucky hits they get in.
To help with this, I recommend:
-Beating up the mime until you get their mask. The HP/Resistance penalty hurts, but the evasion/accuracy/damage bonuses outweigh that. Helps grind fightin XP, too.
-Get a cape, ideally Xenobiology or Mining. Which cape you want to wear depends on circumstances, natch, but any cape is better for Doppleganger than no cape.
-The Top-Tier Xenobiology slime. Lose out on the HP Regen and misc perks the others offer, but it gives great stats otherwise. High chance to flee though, so getting a few spares is advised.
-If you need to finish up grinding your combat EXP, go beat up the captains locker.
--It has a good chunk of HP to burn through, abysmal evasion so you can focus on maximizing power and takes 45 seconds to attack so it shouldn't get a chance to hit you.
---...Though, uh. Be careful. 200 accuracy means its almost guaranteed to pulp you if the fight does take that long

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sivart13 posted:

it seems like a bizarre oversight that you can't just add/change actions in the middle because

* it already has a 'selected' indicator for actions (that is used for drag and drop)
* it already reacts successfully to things being dropped to an arbitrary point in the timeline

all the dev needs to do is make it so clicking / typing an action while something is selected adds it after the current selection and advances the selection

it actually does this though, just tested it. if an action has an outline around it and you use the hotkeys or click one of the buttons, it does exactly what you'd want it to. it might be a recent change idk

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

also re: Loop Odyssey - hand-to-hand combat is a global combat buff and therefore amazing; get it from beating up the scarecrow in the old man's carrot fields

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

it might be a recent change idk
It was added yesterday but taken out of the current build :cry:

At least that means it's bound to make it back in sometime.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

also re: Loop Odyssey - hand-to-hand combat is a global combat buff and therefore amazing
it's weird how it's so much better than Body Control but so much easier to grind

grinding HTH overnight definitely opened the game right up

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
With regards to HTH, body control is actually better than it because its multiplied by your weapon while HTH is not. This mostly matters later when you get the buffs from the city area. Also question for the city area, Does the assassin kill the chancellor on a variable timer? I have an action list that I have not changed and is only getting faster from familiarity and it only kills the assassin like 50% of the time before he kills the chancellor.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Feline Mind Meld posted:

i had to cheat the f in chat one in because even looking at the code it seemed like pressing f should make it fire, and it never did and i was basically done with the game at that point anyhow

Thanks for this

For F in the chat I set a hotkey to f then enabled hotkeys and it popped for me. I figured doing a reboot with automation would be one but I kept accidentally hitting the on buttons with my auto clicker

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So I think Im at the end of loop odyssey and biggest disappointment was them giving access to observatories so you could scout an area through a means other than manually walking through it only to have the last zone you get access to be a literal maze with no observatory, gently caress off. Dont make the players do 30 15 minute runs just to find the correct path through the maze without hitting a wall.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lilli posted:

So I think Im at the end of loop odyssey and biggest disappointment was them giving access to observatories so you could scout an area through a means other than manually walking through it only to have the last zone you get access to be a literal maze with no observatory, gently caress off. Dont make the players do 30 15 minute runs just to find the correct path through the maze without hitting a wall.

Yeah, that was a bit annoying.

I lucked out by saving the chancellor a lot earlier than I think was intended, so I had a lot of familiarity on the relevant tiles and could tack the exploration onto the end of a short-ish loop.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Lilli posted:

Don't make the players do 30 15 minute runs just to find the correct path through the maze without hitting a wall.
it would also be a big QoL improvement if it optionally paused at the end of a loop to let you manually explore, but the author seems to think this would be hard to do given something about the game's engine

I've only done the first of the endings but I was surprised that the time crystals stay broken loop-to-loop... I made a big path that collected all the blood and tried to knock out all the crystals and I was thinking it would need to run for a long long time

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Apparently Bitburner has gotten a steam release. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812820/Bitburner/
Sounds like a good time to give it a go if you're like me and haven't really bothered to sit down with it yet.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SubNat posted:

Apparently Bitburner has gotten a steam release. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812820/Bitburner/
Sounds like a good time to give it a go if you're like me and haven't really bothered to sit down with it yet.

Bitburner team is cool and good and glad they revived the game.

Web version is exactly the same as steam version.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
Has anyone tried or even heard of Idle Armada? It's somewhat like trimps, which I'm also enjoying.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Opiumden34 posted:

Has anyone tried or even heard of Idle Armada? It's somewhat like trimps, which I'm also enjoying.

Nope! But if you drop a link you'll probably have a dozen thread dwellers sharing their opinion in a day or two.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
I played it on Android pretty early on and liked it. Then there was a big revamp of the reward system for resets, and I couldn't get back into it. Both systems were good, it's just I was so used to the original, I guess?

You pick a class on each reset and can purchase class-specific upgrades that stick across resets. Originally most upgrades had a cap, so there was a sense of progress where you could "finish" upgrading something. But in the interest of making the game scale further, the dev removed all the caps, and for me it was just like... Now I don't know what I'm working towards anymore. But for somebody starting fresh with the new system, I think you'd enjoy it.

In terms of the positives: it has a good balance of online vs offline progress, and it's a nice change of pace compared to RPG-ish idle games. The Android app isn't made with Unity so it actually boots very quickly, which is nice to check on it for 5min.

One matter of taste: It does have storage caps, which I personally enjoy, but I know others don't.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I really love the Loop Odyssey NPC portraits - they're giving me real flashbacks to Bard's Tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Weird to me that the old man will still give you his key when you talk to him even if you've pissed him off?