Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I am strongly of the belief that his addiction to hairplugs causing him to nearly permanently lose his voice caused him to re-evaluate how he approaches his job, because ever since he's been so loose in the booth it's been unreal

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a secret and he’s flat out said in interviews that the combination of the issue with his vocal cords from hairplug anesthesia and simultaneously going through a divorce made him change a lot of stuff. He got remarried a few years later which and it’s 100% night and day.

Dexo posted:

It's just very weird, I think he just allows himself to have more fun now.

Yeah, you see that come out when he does guest spots on TV shows, like some of his appearances on Brockmire. Joe Buck circa 2004 (Aka “That’s a disgusting act!” era) never would have done or said half that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I am strongly of the belief that his addiction to hairplugs causing him to nearly permanently lose his voice caused him to re-evaluate how he approaches his job, because ever since he's been so loose in the booth it's been unreal

are there any interviews or something about this hair plug addiction, that sounds wild

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

harperdc posted:

are there any interviews or something about this hair plug addiction, that sounds wild

He published an autobiography maybe two years ago?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

https://youtu.be/TQhXypf8Yfs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oh look at this

buck's a guest on tonight's manningcast

https://twitter.com/OmahaProd/status/1467945557943631872

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

oh look at this

buck's a guest on tonight's manningcast

https://twitter.com/OmahaProd/status/1467945557943631872

Is Dave a Colts fan?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Dave a Colts fan?

Likely, as he's from Indianapolis. Which is why he is a fixture at the 500.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pvt. Public posted:

I was asking because he moved to LA 10 years before the colts moved in.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bip Roberts posted:

I was asking because he moved to LA 10 years before the colts moved in.

Ah poo poo, I always seem to forget just how old he is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pvt. Public posted:

he owns a share in an indycar team too

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Joe Buck was on fire on the Manningcast.

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1468067621438251010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao at that Joe Buck clip

To no surprise, the SEC Championship (and really all the conference championships save the ACC) did huge numbers

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1468264073737482245

Awful Announcing posted:

Looking at the rest of the slate, comparisons to 2020 are favorable, given how bizarre that season was. The Big Ten title game drew 11.658 million viewers on Fox, up 45% from a year ago. 8.021 million people watched Baylor’s victory over Oklahoma State on ABC in the Big 12 championship, a 168% increase (not a typo) increase last year’s game. On Friday night, the Pac-12 title game brought in 4.247 million viewers on ABC, up 10% from Oregon-USC on Fox last year.

With Cincinnati playing for an unbeaten season, their win over Houston in the AAC title game drew 3.415 million viewers (head to head with the SEC title game), up 82% from their win over Tulsa a year ago. The ACC championship marked the biggest disappointment of the weekend, as Pitt’s win over Wake Forest drew just 2.661 million viewers in primetime on ABC – a decrease of 73% from Clemson’s win over Notre Dame last season.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Dave a Colts fan?

yeah IIRC he had Mike Vanderjagt on after he missed that one kick against the Steelers in 2005 or something because of it.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Dave a Colts fan?

Pretty much anything football related that came up on the late show he would come up with some way of mentioning 'his' Colts

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Baba Oh Really posted:

Pretty much anything football related that came up on the late show he would come up with some way of mentioning 'his' Colts

It also led to this Super Bowl commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXisTQmtBBA

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/nineralex/status/1470173347161931776?t=SBh5T_sgRO9ug7XFYAjQEA&s=19

It's the confidence in the P sound for me

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1470534228408508424

They really are going to push everyone back to cable

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1470534228408508424

They really are going to push everyone back to cable
They'll push everyone back to cable and then try to jack the fees they charge the cable companies 50%.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll say this about my cable provider - I can't remember the last time I lost a cable channel due to disputes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not common but it does happen, usually for the exact same reasons involving carriage fees.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are definitely niche channels that will go years without cable or satellite companies picking them up. See Dodger fans about that. I think Dish or DirectTV also had some major channels blacked out for a little while over fees.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The only cable or satellite customers in Denver that can see nuggets, avalanche, or rapids games are DirecTV customers because of a dispute between Altitude and all the operators who balked at their insane fees. altitude is owned by the same ownership group as the three teams mentioned and they’re expecting way too much for their lovely channel. It’s been 2 years at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I’m honestly stunned how long that Altitude dispute has been going on now

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GutBomb posted:

The only cable or satellite customers in Denver that can see nuggets, avalanche, or rapids games are DirecTV customers because of a dispute between Altitude and all the operators who balked at their insane fees. altitude is owned by the same ownership group as the three teams mentioned and they’re expecting way too much for their lovely channel. It’s been 2 years at this point.

I assume the teams are taking a massive hit to their TV revenues then. Dish can't have that many subscribers in Colorado to make up for what they're losing by not being on all those other operators.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Losing Disney seems like it would sink YouTube TV since sports are like 90% of the reason to have live TV in the first place.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say this about my cable provider - I can't remember the last time I lost a cable channel due to disputes.

I lost access to Pelican games a few years ago because of disputes. It was literally the only channel I cared about.

E: the other provider that had the games would have cost me an extra $50 a month to get the channel (or only $20 more if I got their lovely internet service and dropped my better one). I ended up dropping cable entirely and relied on illegal streams to get my games since League Pass would give me black outs

Kibner fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 14, 2021

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GutBomb posted:

It’s literally just with Xfinity. Some outlying areas have different cable providers I work for one of them in a department that handles some of these disputes and they get on just fine with That Family.

(Dish Network, though, is an entirely different kettle of fish. They play hardball with EVERYONE, including a non-profit that owns an NBC affiliate, about carriage fees.)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DJExile posted:

I’m honestly stunned how long that Altitude dispute has been going on now

The Dodgers dispute has been going on even longer because nobody has a financial incentive to fix the problem.

I'm one of the people who got chased back to cable. If I want to watch the Yankees in the local market, that's the only option without getting into illegal streams. And I don't want to mess with that and the trouble of getting it on my TV screen. I'm too old and cranky.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I lost the Bally nee Fox Sports channels that carry the Braves (and the Pelicans, who I have theoretically been trying to get into for a few years but mostly those like 30 games where Zion attempted to play basketball) right before baseball season and got by with a shared MLB.tv account and Unlocator to get around the blackout, was super simple on the PS4/5.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I lost the Bally nee Fox Sports channels that carry the Braves (and the Pelicans, who I have theoretically been trying to get into for a few years but mostly those like 30 games where Zion attempted to play basketball) right before baseball season and got by with a shared MLB.tv account and Unlocator to get around the blackout, was super simple on the PS4/5.

You got the Birmingham Squadron GLeague team now and those games are all streamed for free! Hayes, Murphy, and Alverdao will all be playing for them again tonight.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only way to watch the Mariners, Kraken, and Blazers is through ROOT Sports Northwest, which until recently wasn't on any streaming services. They just got added to fuboTV, which is not only one of the most expensive options, it doesn't even have TNT, so you miss out on half of the NBA and hockey coverage (plus no AEW, which is important in my house).

There's a reason me and my roommates gave up and went back to cable.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah once they realized cord cutting had become a reasonable option for local sports fans they moved VERY quickly to end that. Without the ability to charge/pass along absurd carriage fees for local sports channels, the whole system collapses. We're the last suckers who care about live TV.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The irony too is that people started cord cutting to save money and things were consolidated and easy, and then everyone else decided they wanted a bigger piece of the pie and had to start their OWN streaming service and fragment everything again so it ends up becoming as much as cable if you sub to everything

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nodoze posted:

The irony too is that people started cord cutting to save money and things were consolidated and easy, and then everyone else decided they wanted a bigger piece of the pie and had to start their OWN streaming service and fragment everything again so it ends up becoming as much as cable if you sub to everything

People always say the bolded part but like, who’s subscribing to everything? The beauty of streaming is the ease of signing up and canceling services at will. Succession is over for the season? Great, cancel HBO Max now. College football season is over? Ok cool now get rid of ESPN+. (Or in my case get rid of the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle and just go with D+) I’ll probably cancel Netflix too since there’s nothing I want to watch on there for the foreseeable future. I’ll probably sign up again in 6 months. But I’ll have saved like $60-70 in the meantime.

The lovely thing about cable is that you’re pretty much always paying for everything at all times, even if like me you only watch ESPN 4-5 months out of the year. What’s the carriage fee for ESPN? $8-9? Maybe more? So that’s what you’re paying for it even if you never watch it from January-August.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mahoning posted:

People always say the bolded part but like, who’s subscribing to everything? The beauty of streaming is the ease of signing up and canceling services at will. Succession is over for the season? Great, cancel HBO Max now. College football season is over? Ok cool now get rid of ESPN+. (Or in my case get rid of the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle and just go with D+) I’ll probably cancel Netflix too since there’s nothing I want to watch on there for the foreseeable future. I’ll probably sign up again in 6 months. But I’ll have saved like $60-70 in the meantime.

The lovely thing about cable is that you’re pretty much always paying for everything at all times, even if like me you only watch ESPN 4-5 months out of the year. What’s the carriage fee for ESPN? $8-9? Maybe more? So that’s what you’re paying for it even if you never watch it from January-August.

I don't but there are definitely people out there who do. All we have at the moment is Netflix, Hulu and Disney+, and really I could just do seasonal for D+ but I signed up for the three years discounted price thing they did when it launched. In the future I'll probably do that cause it's the one we watch the least of by far.

I agree about cable too, that's why I don't have it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I just pay for the radio feeds and call it a day

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1471163425086742532

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

If they ever expand the NFL to Birmingham, there will never be an upstart league again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't subscribe to everything but I subscribe to enough that it costs more to get rid of cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rick posted:

I don't subscribe to everything but I subscribe to enough that it costs more to get rid of cable.

:same: Getting HBO Max included with a modest cable package is a better deal than you think, what with all the sports I watch.

e: For reference, I cross-referenced all the channels I would need to have, and the result was that I would need Fubo AND DirecTV Stream. Hard pass.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 16, 2021