Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Talking of the Scottish government

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1470678651582787589?t=kEddKLqjK6cEABHCu3xKww&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

When they were asked in the press conference if they’d be doing boosters over christmas/boxing day and the bank holidays, as far as I can tell they made up the plan that second. None of my GP friends had heard anything about it prior.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah thats what we heard from the community vaccination centre, coincidentally as they were making up their own plan that second which turned out to be wrong

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Its funny that the UK gov announced under 40s boosters without telling anyone or having planned anything but also sturgeon did her typical thing of announcing UK policy like 6 hours earlier to pretend the scottish government is real but also hadn't planned anything

Did you try just booking an appointment through the NHS Scotland site. My partner is booked one yesterday for this Saturday, she said the website was lagging a bit but it seemed to work apart from that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Juche Couture posted:

When they were asked in the press conference if they’d be doing boosters over christmas/boxing day and the bank holidays, as far as I can tell they made up the plan that second. None of my GP friends had heard anything about it prior.

The only question is how much of this panic is background-radiation incompetence, how much distraction from all the party stuff, and how much genuine concern about Omicron? I have a horrible suspicion that it's mostly the latter, with the scandals just penning in the ability of the government to impose NPIs.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only question is how much of this panic is background-radiation incompetence, how much distraction from all the party stuff, and how much genuine concern about Omicron? I have a horrible suspicion that it's mostly the latter, with the scandals just penning in the ability of the government to impose NPIs.

Based on how Norway and Denmark reacted to Omicron, I think it's probably the latter sadly.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I glanced at the news this morning and I saw...

quote:

"govt looking to overturn the human rights act to counter political correctness and 'wokeism' "

And...

quote:

"Elon Musk named person of the year"

Kill me now please.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470506750193422339

Please do(n't) delete anything about the parties!

If they do delete it that's spoliation. Literally the worst thing you can do even if the evidence paints you in a bad light.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's why you always blame the work experience lad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why Johnson has a dozen kids, just tumbling out of control through the upper atmosphere burning off an ablative layer of spaff.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

If they do delete it that's spoliation. Literally the worst thing you can do even if the evidence paints you in a bad light.

You're talking about a workplace where all emails get irrecoverably deleted after 3 months as policy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do not believe the people who breached covid lockdown guidelines to have multiple parties also followed the rules of only using their in-house email for planning this stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

You're talking about a workplace where all emails get irrecoverably deleted after 3 months as policy.

If Iraq had happened now it would literally be "Yes Saddam has WMDs, I received an email confirming it.

No the email has now been deleted. Sorry."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't care about that dickhead's documentary but this is illuminating to say the least:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1470668406865207298?t=sAzvuX5azNxye1pmEVwaWQ&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1470668693583667200
:chloe:

"Ironic pedophiles" is like "ironic nazis", you get enough of them in one place and suddenly it turns out that half of them aren't ironic.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He was a horrible oval office in the 90s and he still is except now somehow respected as a serious big brain lib.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

Did you try just booking an appointment through the NHS Scotland site. My partner is booked one yesterday for this Saturday, she said the website was lagging a bit but it seemed to work apart from that.

no appointments available anywhere near edinburgh according to the site

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

He was a horrible oval office in the 90s and he still is except now somehow respected as a serious big brain lib.
I think this tweet hits that on the head
https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1470706136441663493

Sexually transgressive alt-humour was a welcome break from Whitehouse style moral puritanism, and a key part of boundary breaking in third-wave feminism, but when it becomes just a bunch of lads lads lads joking about their knobs and not actually examining any of the social baggage around it or anything else then that's not actually progressive and it's no surprise what some of them age into.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Finally got my booster. I had to drive about 45 mins and queue for another 45 or so but at least it's all done now. I had mine in a massive church which was actually a good spot.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
My Dad emailed me yesterday to brag about not getting any vaccination for covid or for flu and that he caught covid and it wasn't that bad.

I just want to email back 'you are a oval office' 10,000 times then log off but I realise this is a waste of my time and energy.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

You laugh but we're about a month away from some beetroot faced oaf ramming a dinghy in his weekend leisure craft and saying he was protecting his country and getting a slap on the wrist which will still generate a daily express crusade

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

🤷‍♂️ The hospitalisation numbers at the moment are obviously bad but they’re not really that much worse than how it’s been sitting for the last few months - which is unforgivable but makes the sudden media pivot to “the NHS is on its knees” very obviously the result of briefing from No 10. I probably shouldn’t say exactly where I work but our numbers in Covid ICU are down significantly compared to a month ago. SAGE’s modelling predicts things are going to get worse soon.

But that would require the govt to be actually planning in advance for what might be coming, which would be seriously out of character. I think at least part of it is that it helps to divert attention from the rapidly ballooning waiting lists for everything else (private companies are licking their lips at the thought of outsourcing for ‘waiting list reduction’, so it’s in their interests to make things worse).

I’m not a virologist or an epidemiologist. The 2 recent papers in the NEJM on booster vaccines are reason for optimism. I think the most important thing we could do right now is vaccinate the whole drat planet to reduce the rate of dangerous mutation to as low as is feasible.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Adolf Glitter posted:

I glanced at the news this morning and I saw...

And...

Kill me now please.

The world is mind poison atm

Stop watching the news unless local

Make your world smaller

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SpicePro posted:

My Dad emailed me yesterday to brag about not getting any vaccination for covid or for flu and that he caught covid and it wasn't that bad.

I just want to email back 'you are a oval office' 10,000 times then log off but I realise this is a waste of my time and energy.

Solidarity fellow insane toxic shithead dad haver

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I read the news today - oh boy

David Baddiel "I briefly thought about being a comedian but realised I could not remotely conceive of not trying to shag the kids"

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

If you are looking for an excuse to get a PCR, a friend has just pointed out to me that today is the last day to test positive and be out of quarantine in time for Christmas. I felt it a sage thought worth sharing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Juche Couture posted:

(private companies are licking their lips at the thought of outsourcing for ‘waiting list reduction’, so it’s in their interests to make things worse).

I’m not a virologist or an epidemiologist. The 2 recent papers in the NEJM on booster vaccines are reason for optimism. I think the most important thing we could do right now is vaccinate the whole drat planet to reduce the rate of dangerous mutation to as low as is feasible.

The private companies are also by and large drawing from the same staffing pool as the NHS - doctor wise especially so I doubt they're going to be able to make bank since their staff are going to get conscripted if things go to poo poo again.

We should vaccinate everyone and anyone who is "voluntarily unvaccinated" should have that fact tattooed on their foreheads like the Nazis from Inglorious Basterds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Juche Couture posted:

🤷‍♂️ The hospitalisation numbers at the moment are obviously bad but they’re not really that much worse than how it’s been sitting for the last few months - which is unforgivable but makes the sudden media pivot to “the NHS is on its knees” very obviously the result of briefing from No 10. I probably shouldn’t say exactly where I work but our numbers in Covid ICU are down significantly compared to a month ago. SAGE’s modelling predicts things are going to get worse soon.

But that would require the govt to be actually planning in advance for what might be coming, which would be seriously out of character. I think at least part of it is that it helps to divert attention from the rapidly ballooning waiting lists for everything else (private companies are licking their lips at the thought of outsourcing for ‘waiting list reduction’, so it’s in their interests to make things worse).

Well this is it, the numbers say that with boosting the hospitalisation and death rate will be lower for Omicron than for Delta in an unboosted population. The problem is that it's more transmissable so even if it were half as dangerous as Delta (which is optimistic) if we end up with 4 times as many cases a week (which is within the range of predictions at the moment) then we still end up with twice as many hospitalisations and deaths.

Slightly more optimistically, there's increasing (but still not definitive) evidence that 2xAZ plus mRNA booster gives the very best protection against Omicron of any of the common vaccine schedules and as that's what most of our most-vulnerable population and most of the NHS got we might somehow just have managed to fall arse-backwards into the best scenario yet again.

(Well maybe not the best scenario for this thread as it's also the schedule I got so you still have to put up with my poo poo)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Zalakwe posted:

If you are looking for an excuse to get a PCR, a friend has just pointed out to me that today is the last day to test positive and be out of quarantine in time for Christmas. I felt it a sage thought worth sharing.

Yeah, about that…

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1470729620794261506?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
An acquaintance of mine has been in an (NHS) hospital for two weeks now while they fix the complete gently caress-up a private hospital made of his gall bladder removal.

It's cool that the privatised side of our health system gets to just wash its hands of all its mistakes and difficult treatments and let the NHS deal with it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why are there suddenly no tests?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also that a bunch of 'private' stuff is done on NHS facilities, by NHS staff, with NHS resources; it's just that private patients get to have it sooner and stay in what is essentially a hotel room afterwards.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why are there suddenly no tests?

Because everyone is worried and demand has gone nuts, presumably.

Just got Pfizer'd, so that's Px3 for me. Not going to be literally irl bulletproof like GT but I'll take what I can get

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

stev posted:

I don't care about that dickhead's documentary but this is illuminating to say the least:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1470668406865207298?t=sAzvuX5azNxye1pmEVwaWQ&s=19

This quote from the FT is pretty telling:

The FT posted:

In 1993, David Baddiel and Rob Newman became the first comedians to play a sold-out arena show in Britain, performing to 12,500 people. That once unprecedented number is today dwarfed by Baddiel’s following on Twitter, where close to a million people serve as an ever-present audience for his every joke, observation or opinion. Tens of thousands give him daily tacit rounds of applause and howls of laughter with “likes”. But countless others, protected by anonymity, subject him to a torrent of vituperative heckles.

https://www.ft.com/content/c80cc221-d61a-40dd-b2ca-5a51f16c7608

He's A-Ok with all the hordes of people falling over themselves to tell him how funny and brilliant he is; the people who say that his jokes suck and he's an idiot though, well...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Pistol_Pete posted:

vituperative

Thats a new word for me, going to try to be a bit more vituperative from now on.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's a nice contrast between the lockdown sceptic MPs whining about having the carry a bit of paper, and everyone else I know rolling their sleeves up for this.
Had pfizer on top of 2xAZ yesterday. Last night's dreams were full blue-veined stilton grade.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Communist Thoughts posted:

no appointments available anywhere near edinburgh according to the site

Edinburgh seems really booked up, best I could get is the middle of january.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1470723080234352640?t=388eR9_qxKlqRYphCZW6Qw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Regardless of everything else loathsome about him, the fact Starmer didn’t even try to extract any concessions in exchange for supporting the plan B vote tells you everything about his political nous.

Sorry, I’m ‘on one’ today. It makes me anxious to even post about covid cause I don’t want to express myself poorly (more than usual).