Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

"It is in fact a good thing that in my estimation the web3 revolution means that intellectual property rights no longer mean anything and there is no way to shield yourself from countless people taking advantage of your hard work, get with the times. No I am absolutely without any artistic or creative talent at all and the idea of an unbelievably exploitative, virtually zero-effort get-rich-quick scam does not offend me at all, why do you ask? Also what is this letter threatening legal action against me for making a profit on someone else's work?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love the the intangible idea of web 2.0 still offered many tangible technologies that benefitted people. Going from old school HTML stuff to the wave of PHP, CSS, and then even more advanced and beneficial stuff.

But web 3.0 is apparently a new wave because of a tech that offers no tangible benefit at large, no one cares to learn how to use, and suffers at making a point of what it actually does and can be used for.

This is the future people.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Let the first person start selling actual Disney poo poo in nfts and then we'll see

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

syntaxfunction posted:

I love the the intangible idea of web 2.0 still offered many tangible technologies that benefitted people. Going from old school HTML stuff to the wave of PHP, CSS, and then even more advanced and beneficial stuff.

But web 3.0 is apparently a new wave because of a tech that offers no tangible benefit at large, no one cares to learn how to use, and suffers at making a point of what it actually does and can be used for.

The distilled essence of web3:

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Sombrerotron posted:

Some men just want to see the world shred.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

orange sky posted:

Let the first person start selling actual Disney poo poo in nfts and then we'll see

NFT people are dumb but they’re not dumb enough to poke the bear. They’re just doing what all great capitalists do: gently caress over the little guy and hope your lawyers can drag out a lawsuit longer than the other guy can afford.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

As far as I can see Web 3 so far consists of creating artificial scarcity to monetise digital assets while we all gently caress around in Zuckerbergs poo poo Second Life reboot , unless I’ve missed something.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If anyone needs a decent explainer for both how crypto and NFTs work and also how they’re dumb to send to relatives and other non-tech folks, this is pretty decent and not too technical.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 14, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

syntaxfunction posted:

Are we really going to call this poo poo web 3.0?
Is it different in any meaningful way?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

Are we really going to call this poo poo web 3.0?
Is it different in any meaningful way?

It's different in all sorts of ways (all of them bad)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also it's been a branding technique since at least the Holy Roman Empire to proclaim your particular thing to be a successor to a thing people like, regardless of whether or not it actually is.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

pretty sure they literally do this

The NFTs were with us the whole time!?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Durzel posted:

https://twitter.com/jakubkrcmar/status/1470681751144255494?s=20
If tweets were faces this is one I'd gladly punch.

Can someone reply to him with that thread about the guy pleading for his apes back

Party Boat posted:

lol

“This is kind of about art, right?” Julian Casablancas pleaded from the stage. “NFTs? I don’t know, what the hell. All I know is... a lot of dudes here tonight.”

I got nauseous just picturing the smell in there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sombrerotron posted:

I argue that this is quite the opposite because they have a clear product and mission statement and tangible results of such

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"We've invented a magical digital place where anything a 3d designer and programmer can imagine we can pipe directly into your eyeballs stereographically. Once it exists there is no limit to the duplication. If the real world is not yet post scarcity, the digital world surely is."
"Ok, but how do I own things there?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
apparently, using the names of celebrities to sell NFTs isn't confined just to living celebrities anymore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh my God

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Brb digging up the digital corpse of Jesus Christ himself to sell bible passage NFTs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does islam forbid nfts on the same grounds as unfair interest

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EorayMel posted:

Does islam forbid nfts on the same grounds as unfair interest

I feel like it violates the spirit of the rule at the very least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

There Bias Two posted:

Brb digging up the digital corpse of Jesus Christ himself to sell bible passage NFTs.

There is no corpse of Jesus. He just peaced out and ascended to heaven.

Just sell bible NFTs anyhow, who's going to enforce copyright, the catholics?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Main Paineframe posted:

apparently, using the names of celebrities to sell NFTs isn't confined just to living celebrities anymore

I just caught on that. drat that's just bad.
At least everyone is showing their disgust in the comments,.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I’m pretty sure someone already is selling passages from the Bible NFTs. Well to be more specific a hyperlink to a text file with a bible passage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Durzel posted:

https://twitter.com/jakubkrcmar/status/1470681751144255494?s=20
If tweets were faces this is one I'd gladly punch.

I love how he admits straight up that scarcity is an illusion and art assets are infinitely copyable and the only thing you can do is try to undercut the copies in a race to the bottom

but don't worry, this actually means that artists will finally be able to realize the profits from their labor that they deserve

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Somebody should just post a bunch of Disney poo poo as NFTs so Disney legal can burn everything to the ground.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Main Paineframe posted:

I assume the kids that were being sued for mishandling his estate while he was alive are involved in this.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There is no corpse of Jesus. He just peaced out and ascended to heaven.

Just sell bible NFTs anyhow, who's going to enforce copyright, the catholics?

Yeah, but then you get a question of which books to include in the Bible NFT, and before you know it, there's another Crypto-Reformation.

Main Paineframe posted:

NFTs are certainly developing a reputation, in much the same way a man who insists on bringing his emotional support Bull to every china shop in town develops a reputation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dictionarycom/status/1470771245239132166

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hammerite posted:

It's different in all sorts of ways (all of them bad)

such as

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One of the more common things I’ve seen in the last 3 years is young people coming into money from dead people, trusts, or their parents just giving them money/jobs and then instantly wanting to turn that money into crypto poo poo. It’s like they think money is old-fashioned idiot stuff, and fake money you can’t use is the future. Even though money-money is bankrolling their entire everything and the fake money isn’t convertible.

So I’m not surprised if the kids managing his estate want to string up the corpse of their grandpa like a puppet to promote NFT poo poo.

There is no limit to the absurdity and stupidity of crypto people. It is completely limitless, and they all 100% are convinced without any doubt that they will be incredibly rich because of it.

Recently I was at a dinner recently and a financial advisor friend of mine very earnestly told a friend’s boyfriend (25 or so) that he absolutely should not do anything with cryptocurrencies ever, he will lose money on it and he needs to get away from it. The guy just laughed an unsettling amount, all alone, for like 30 seconds straight and everyone at the dinner stared at him wide-eyed as it was apparent this guy was clearly going through a breakdown or crisis of some sort. After the laughing faded out and everyone was basically horrified, he pulled his phone out and said he just bought $10,000 of bitcoin and then left rather abruptly.

Like, these people are loving broken. I don’t know what to say further, but they are absolutely broken.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
All i know is the liquor store i go to isn't going to let me buy wine or gin with cyberbucks so what's the point

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure there's a long history of third-generation+ wealth being completely broken failchildren who can't squander their inherited wealth fast enough.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

jokes posted:

Recently I was at a dinner recently and a financial advisor friend of mine very earnestly told a friend’s boyfriend (25 or so) that he absolutely should not do anything with cryptocurrencies ever, he will lose money on it and he needs to get away from it. The guy just laughed an unsettling amount, all alone, for like 30 seconds straight and everyone at the dinner stared at him wide-eyed as it was apparent this guy was clearly going through a breakdown or crisis of some sort. After the laughing faded out and everyone was basically horrified, he pulled his phone out and said he just bought $10,000 of bitcoin and then left rather abruptly.

This is a trend I feel like I'm noticing a lot. Actual people experienced long-term in finance know things about volatility, pump-and-dump, and bubbles, and so either keep crypto at a distance or at most dip a toe in it and pay close attention to its volatility. Young people and internet-poisoned people doing Baby's first investment, meanwhile, treat Crypto like a magic money-printing machine, becoming near-perfect marks.

Even the Libertarians I know, who have more favorable views than most on cryptocurrency, keep investing in crypto at a distance, at least as far as I know.

If Wall Street is good at anything, it's grinding up the gullible, the zealous, and the stupid into financial sausage.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure there's a long history of third-generation+ wealth being completely broken failchildren who can't squander their inherited wealth fast enough.
My father rode a camel. I ride a fine car. My son flies an airplane. My grandson will ride a camel NFT and will be slain for his NFW (non-fungible water) by the Fremen.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So it's not real?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

So it's not real?

Yes, but inasmuch as it refers to a coherent set of ideas, if the thing were real and as represented by its proponents, it would be bad.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Can we not ask these lunatics to just fork their branch of the Internet onto their own hardware?

They like forks right, thats crypto vernacular?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottniswander/status/1470773160706555909?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

hotdog feet posted:

Somebody should just post a bunch of Disney poo poo as NFTs so Disney legal can burn everything to the ground.

Law talking people answer me this: I mint a Disney nft. I sell it for $50. Disney sues me. I reject any and all attempts at a settlement out of court because I know I will lose and it will create a precedent against my posting enemies. I make it go to trial. I lose. I appeal -- with the full intent of losing again -- and lose again at trial. I appeal again and either get denied without merit or lose again at trial ad nauseum.

Is this allowed? Am I allowed to bring a case that I want to intentionally lose in order to burn down someone else's house?