Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Offkorn posted:

"With the last of your strength, crawl to Camp Broken Glass".

Gods this place sucks so much.

That part is cool and my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I also don't quite get the complaining about the solo duties. I know I suck rear end at them so I intentionally die right at the start and then just turn on very easy. I think some of you think you're better at video games than you actually are and it's just frustration at that fact.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Large Testicles posted:

I also don't quite get the complaining about the solo duties. I know I suck rear end at them so I intentionally die right at the start and then just turn on very easy. I think some of you think you're better at video games than you actually are and it's just frustration at that fact.

Oh no, it's not difficult at all. Just tedious and face-palm inducing narratively.

Like this bit on the moon for example where everyone is acting completely stumped as to who could possibly be sending supplies there. Do they have the memories of goldfish?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean to be fair that eventually ends up with someone going "So you've probably already figured this out..." and a reveal with little to no fanfair.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

at last. tis done

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i still see grey pixels on the desynth bars

also, those poor fish

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Are you guys all still playing on Excalibur? I think I’m on goblin

Also, should I pay $39.99 on mogstation for endwalker? It’s showing $19.99 on ps5 but I wanna make sure that isn’t a starter account price or something only for new accounts.

There's an $8 off promocode on Newegg so you can get it for $32 but IDK if they have codes for the Playstation version.
EMCAYA234 I think, although there were a few different codes of different ages floating around and I had to try 2 or 3 before I found the right one when I bought it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's an $8 off promocode on Newegg so you can get it for $32 but IDK if they have codes for the Playstation version.
EMCAYA234 I think, although there were a few different codes of different ages floating around and I had to try 2 or 3 before I found the right one when I bought it.

Appreciate it. I’m up and running on ps5 and holy cow. I’m at the very beginning of level 68, next msq unlocks at 69 haha. Don’t know how I am going to get that full 1 level being as rusty as I am and these controller settings.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibblebibble posted:

Aesthetically yes, though it is pretty weird that for how China it looks it's got samurai and ninja and Japanese names.

Probably the compromise they went with rather than develop another set of Asian aesthetics that are distinct enough to stand out from the Hingashi stuff, while already having established Doma as having ninjas and poo poo as far back as 2.xx.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This level 86 quest. I just. What

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Woo, what a marathon finish. Went out proud, looking like a Flamenco M. Bison.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

KoB posted:

The duties are more interesting without having a bunch of computers instantly showing me how to do it.

It's funny you say that, because in this case everyone fucks up the unobvious mechanics the first time they see them except Y'shtola. She shouts she can see the aether and adjusts.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Argas posted:

Probably the compromise they went with rather than develop another set of Asian aesthetics that are distinct enough to stand out from the Hingashi stuff, while already having established Doma as having ninjas and poo poo as far back as 2.xx.

Yeah, I get why they went with it, just rubs me the wrong way a little bit considering real-life history. Only enough to make me grumble that they should have used the Chinese readings for all the Doman characters' names. Fei Yuan sounds a lot cooler than Hien!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onean posted:

It's funny you say that, because in this case everyone fucks up the unobvious mechanics the first time they see them except Y'shtola. She shouts she can see the aether and adjusts.

Even better Y’shtola gets the first mechanic correct, nearly half of them get the second, and only Alisaie messes up the third. With Estinien specifically calling out for Alphinaud to move out of the way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just finished the 83 dungeon’s Aiming set, and I think I’m in love.

How does the end of run guaranteed piece of loot work? Like, does it try to fill in whatever slots are lowest, or is it just totally random beyond being appropriate for your job?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

How does the end of run guaranteed piece of loot work? Like, does it try to fill in whatever slots are lowest, or is it just totally random beyond being appropriate for your job?

Completely random.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm catching up on the thread so hopefully this hasn't been asked recently, but can anyone give me any advice or tips and tricks for scholar? I'm about to start playing it for the first time ever at 80, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Probably gonna do a couple ADRs and LDRs over the next couple of days, and then grind it out through EW dungeons to get a bunch of practice.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A fun thing about zone 5 is that for the most part, other players you see in the overworld are diegetically other Eorzean adventurers, maybe even other Scions with the Echo. In, say, Garlemald, they might be members of the Ilsabard Contingent.

But you, alone, as a one time deal, time traveled back to Elpis. So who are all these non-Ancients running around? Oh, of course - they're actually other people's familiars, scurrying about and doing whatever.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

They really... struggled to actually put gameplay into the Endwalker rolequests, huh? Especially compared to the Shadowbringers ones.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The only problem I encountered on In From the Cold is getting into the magitek reaper - one of the mobs spotted me leaving the building you get the key to the reaper from, which linked to the rest of the group, and unlike the rest of the mobs in the zone they don't leash at any distance. :mad:

Regalingualius posted:

Completely random, but it won't be anything you already have in your inventory and armory chest. So it won't try to give you multiple pairs of pants, it'll give you a missing bracelet instead.

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010

KoB posted:

The duties are more interesting without having a bunch of computers instantly showing me how to do it.

If your concern is the computer knowing what to do, rest assured there is nothing to be concerned about on that fight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

Okay, but why are people doing the 89 trial for the first time without using the Trust?

I did this and while I don't regret it for story and thematic reasons, it did make the fight a bit easy. I much preferred the wipes to the other two trials as my groups figured them out together.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

bewilderment posted:

They really... struggled to actually put gameplay into the Endwalker rolequests, huh? Especially compared to the Shadowbringers ones.

Yeah, the magic dps quest was a big wet fart of boring, which is a shame because my Elezen self loves everything Ishgard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

central dogma posted:

Yeah, the magic dps quest was a big wet fart of boring, which is a shame because my Elezen self loves everything Ishgard.
it did feature the dude referring to Ascalon as "this sword we found" which made me almost die laughing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ruiautVwQ

:dance: :sandance: :honked: :snoop: :mario: :yosbutt: :parrot:

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

central dogma posted:

It was nothing revolutionary, but my FC and I enjoyed it because the clone-guy in question had been lying around moaning and injured in the hospital in the Firmament since the place was finished, and one or two people thought he seemed a little like one of the members of the Heaven's Ward. It was nice to see that we'd caught something relevant in advance!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onean posted:

Also the trusts assign themselves spread positions but don't tell you, so Urianger managed to murder me by chasing me with his AoE. Luckily when you do the fight with trusts it gives you a few freebie stacks where the healers are allowed to rez you before the fight resets. Unless you touch the edge, anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Also the trusts assign themselves spread positions but don't tell you, so Urianger managed to murder me by chasing me with his AoE. Luckily when you do the fight with trusts it gives you a few freebie stacks where the healers are allowed to rez you before the fight resets. Unless you touch the edge, anyway.

Well throwing yourself at the edge is for resetting fights after all

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think my favorite beat about EW's story is how so many people, myself included, and at least half the streamers I've watched, were totally convinced that Hydaelyn had some ulterior motive, or was secretly evil, or something along those lines. But in the end, the worst she ever did was tell a fib about what happened between her and Zodiark when you first talk to her through Minfilia after the Antitower, and besides that one fib she's been completely on-the-level this entire time. Thank you Crystal Mom, I'm honestly very sorry I ever doubted you.

Edit:Like, we weren't even tempered by her, which is something people have been thinking since Ifrit at level goddamn 20 way back in 2.0. She did absolutely zero wrong things ever, but at least half the fanbase has been so suspicious of her for the last decade.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 14, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DanielCross posted:

I think my favorite beat about EW's story is how so many people, myself included, and at least half the streamers I've watched, were totally convinced that Hydaelyn had some ulterior motive, or was secretly evil, or something along those lines. But in the end, the worst she ever did was tell a fib about what happened between her and Zodiark when you first talk to her through Minfilia after the Antitower, and besides that one fib she's been completely on-the-level this entire time. Thank you Crystal Mom, I'm honestly very sorry I ever doubted you.

During the scene where I think Y'shtola brings up Hydaelyn's lie about her history with Zodiark I just thought "yeah, it's called a retcon Y'shtola, try to keep up"

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Any favorite artifact gear? I've gotten the RDM and SMN so far. The former is good except for the shorts, which is an odd fashion direction unless I'm missing some cultural derivation. The rapier is beautiful though.The SMN armor looks nice, easy to dye, and has wings and a head dong :) But the weapon is a little uninspired.

I'm finishing BLM next, but not excited at all about the gear. I might do a different job instead.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Clarste posted:

Okay, but why are people doing the 89 trial for the first time without using the Trust?

Because Thancred yanked aggro from me in the Varis fight, and I wasn't letting it happen again :colbert:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coeurl Marx posted:

I'm catching up on the thread so hopefully this hasn't been asked recently, but can anyone give me any advice or tips and tricks for scholar? I'm about to start playing it for the first time ever at 80, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Probably gonna do a couple ADRs and LDRs over the next couple of days, and then grind it out through EW dungeons to get a bunch of practice.

For keeping the tank healthy, use adlo then recitation-excogitation before they pull a bunch of mobs. It's a giant crit heal as soon as they hit 50% health so it gives you a huge breather to do damage.

Sacred soil is straight up overpowered and can be up every single pull, it's a nice Regen and damage reduction.

You can also alternate Whispering Dawn and aetherpact every other pull, both of them apply regens to the tank that stack with sacred soil.

Between sacred soil, either of the other regens, and passive fairy healing, the tank's health will be dropping very slowly and you can just lustrate to keep them topped off while you spam Art Of War aoe damage

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This video is making me extremely hyped to level Sage :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPfmPEOvjTk

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My BLM is chunni af, now I gotta level it to 90

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

central dogma posted:

Any favorite artifact gear?

Real happy with SAM and PLD. The former is bold and elegant and appears to be ferociously comfy. The latter is well used but properly maintained plate, which fits the theme of the expansion

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jinh posted:

For keeping the tank healthy, use adlo then recitation-excogitation before they pull a bunch of mobs. It's a giant crit heal as soon as they hit 50% health so it gives you a huge breather to do damage.

Sacred soil is straight up overpowered and can be up every single pull, it's a nice Regen and damage reduction.

You can also alternate Whispering Dawn and aetherpact every other pull, both of them apply regens to the tank that stack with sacred soil.

Between sacred soil, either of the other regens, and passive fairy healing, the tank's health will be dropping very slowly and you can just lustrate to keep them topped off while you spam Art Of War aoe damage

Also every tank has massive self heals and regens that they should be using as well. If you don’t notice that the mobs get a slow debuff every other big pull or so, kindly remind your tank that arm’s length is a tanking cooldown.

Trash pulls are the only place healers are needed at all in dungeons, and after level 85 that need drops quite a bit across the board. Each tank has enough sustain on their own that they can solo every dungeon boss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think every tank can solo the boss of the 83 dungeon, even. Tanks were given a shitload of additional beefiness this expac.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

During some of the more action-packed Endwalker scenes I was thinking about how my WoL has come a long way from the nerdy bookworm Arcanist he started as, so I want to ask: what has been your progression of main job since you started FFXIV, and do you think about that as an in-story element at all or not?

For me, I started as an Arcanist because at the time I thought I only really liked playing casters and healers in MMOs, and hey, this class let me get a two-for-one deal! I focused on Scholar at max level. I then took a long break from the game for pretty much the whole duration of Heavensward (no reflection on Heavensward, I just wasn't really playing MMOs at the time) and I when I came back for the Stormblood release I picked up Red Mage and did the whole HW/StB MSQ as that. Then I tried Gunbreaker when Shadowbringers released and that's been my main ever since. It's kind of fun to think of my WoL moving further and further away from casting and more towards swording over time, yet never losing his taste for explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Offkorn posted:

Like this bit on the moon for example where everyone is acting completely stumped as to who could possibly be sending supplies there. Do they have the memories of goldfish?

That's not true though. When the loporrits try to reveal who they collaborated with Y'shtola cuts them off and says it was the forum, and neither Urianger or Thancred are shocked. The one hitch everyone has to deal with is how you get anything to the moon because as far as anyone knows the last people who ever reached the moon were the Allagans. Sharlayans are very smart but it's not like there's a lot of visible industrialization there, plus lots of Allagan knowledge is just lost. edit: iirc I think the loporrits explain they set up the communications relay? But yeah, I feel the game made it clear it was the unspoken suspicion of the crew.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 14, 2021