Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Irony.or.Death posted:

The important part of the incidents on the nuclear side isn't the actual damage done to human lives, it's the widespread public fear that went with them. "100 miners died in this accident" and "everyone has lung problems now" are nothing to the suburban set, "Don't let your kids outside to play this month or they might melt or something? We don't know," is a big deal. Also pairs very well with the massive lobbying campaign, yes.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's worth noting that a lot of that public fear also stems from the fact that the vast majority of people don't interact with nuclear technology in any meaningful way, whereas most people even globally DO have at least semi-regular interaction with fossil fuels. Nuclear is a black box to a ton of people, and it's far easier to be frightened of that which you don't know.

If a refinery blows up in Texas, well, there will be an investigation, a few dozen people will be hurt/killed, but ultimately something will be found to be the root cause of the accident, lawsuits will be filed and it will be forgotten. Chernobyl and Fukushima have had ongoing effects for years - that's what drives the fear, when and where will the next one happen, and what kind of long term/system effects might it have that nobody is even thinking about?
Yeah, these are definitely good points and highlight the subtle meta problems surrounding human risk assessment. Kahneman discusses this in Think Fast and Slow,, and generally speaking, people are absolute garbage at assessing risk.

For example, just as we've seen with the pandemic fatalities, harmful events can quickly become normalized (ie. not register as urgently abnormal in the public consciousness) if any one of several conditions are met. These include:
  • If people have a general familiarity with the event or source.
  • If the harmful event occurs regularly.
  • If the harmful event have a visually benign rather than grotesque appearance.
To expand on the last point, it's interesting that Nuclear fears have an element of Body Horror that doesn't exist in Fossil Fuels; the psychological impact of which, I think plays a not insignificant part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

For what it's worth, the social media arm of the US DOE Office of Nuclear Energy talks up the climate change aspects of nuclear energy all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/NuclearEnergyGov

Yeah they are doing a decent enough job.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's worth noting that a lot of that public fear also stems from the fact that the vast majority of people don't interact with nuclear technology in any meaningful way, whereas most people even globally DO have at least semi-regular interaction with fossil fuels. Nuclear is a black box to a ton of people, and it's far easier to be frightened of that which you don't know.

If a refinery blows up in Texas, well, there will be an investigation, a few dozen people will be hurt/killed, but ultimately something will be found to be the root cause of the accident, lawsuits will be filed and it will be forgotten. Chernobyl and Fukushima have had ongoing effects for years - that's what drives the fear, when and where will the next one happen, and what kind of long term/system effects might it have that nobody is even thinking about?

so medical tech like MRIs (yes yes I know dropping the N from NMRI kinda proves that the lcd public is indeed irrationally loving mind bogglingly stupid) CT scans, and other medical tech doesnt count?

Also there's superfund sites from hydrocarbon plants and other chemicalz that are problems for decades.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately this plays a big part, and a lot of the Nuclear groups like the American Nuclear Society are heavily Conservative, to the point of them promoting Climate Change Denialism and inviting Oil/Gas industry execs to come speak, its been a major pain point with a lot of us.

There is a large cross over. The oil and gas people are probably even like classmates in some cases.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

so medical tech like MRIs (yes yes I know dropping the N from NMRI kinda proves that the lcd public is indeed irrationally loving mind bogglingly stupid) CT scans, and other medical tech doesnt count?

Also there's superfund sites from hydrocarbon plants and other chemicalz that are problems for decades.

If you ask the average person how often they encounter nuclear technology in an average year, they will more than likely answer be "zero." Even if they were at some point aware that MRI machines are a nuclear technology, that is a very different connection to make than "I drive a car/take public transit that is fossil fuel based" and connecting that to power gen. It's not that it doesn't count, it's that most people simply don't think about the MRI machine at their local hospital as a nuclear device - they think nuclear nuclear = bombs & reactors.

Superfund sites are a valid point but again, not a great comparison because most people are certainly aware of those, but that's Someone Else's Problem. Again, this is simply lack of exposure/awareness for huge swathes of people. It's also worth noting that superfund sites aren't restricted to O&G, huge numbers of them are also mines, chemical plants, etc., but some of the worst ones are in fact nuclear.

Rocky Flats Plant in Colorado

Hanford Site in Washington

The cleanup documents from the DoE, EPA, and other agencies involved with those two is eye opening.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shooting Blanks posted:

most people simply don't think about the MRI machine at their local hospital as a nuclear device - they think nuclear nuclear = bombs & reactors.

because an mri works using radically different principles to nuclear power/bombs. they're so far apart that this comparison is nonsensical

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

redleader posted:

because an mri works using radically different principles to nuclear power/bombs. they're so far apart that this comparison is nonsensical

I kinda figured this was the case, but I also don't know enough to explain why confidently so I wasn't going to say it. But thanks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The true answer is that while fossil fuel is terrible, the industries employ a shitload of people so all the deaths get ignored in favor of job number go up. The nuclear industry has a tiny footprint by comparison

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

The true answer is that while fossil fuel is terrible, the industries employ a shitload of people so all the deaths get ignored in favor of job number go up. The nuclear industry has a tiny footprint by comparison

What you are saying is: We need more nuclear accidents.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That'd be rad.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

That'd be rad.

:golfclap:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Counterpoint: 38,340.

That's the number of people employed by the coal mining industry, and they've successfully hijacked the USA's political process.

There are 44,803 people working in nuclear.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Trucking employees the most people in the country and all rich people can't wait to fire every single one of them and replace with AI. Number of people employeed don't matter to the rich, it's just a scapegoat.

Same with soldiers in the military.

Actually same with all jobs.

It's a matter of dirty energy having better lobbying than cleaner energy.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Shooting Blanks posted:

I kinda figured this was the case, but I also don't know enough to explain why confidently so I wasn't going to say it. But thanks.

Nuclear magnetic resonance doesn't actually involve any nuclear reactions. Turns out nuclei can do cool things besides fuse and split! So yeah, there was no reason for MRI to bear that stigma. Nuclear medicine, on the other hand....

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So I am at the tail end of my MPA program and working on a research project. I am having a hell of a time because I am an idiot, but am finding all sorts of fun stuff from the last 40 years about climate change and what we knew about it.

Here's an article from the New York Times in 1985 warning that we could see a 9F rise in temperature by 2100. It got a whole 20% of the page above a Tiffany & Co. ad.

My dumb little project is looking at aggregate polling over the last 40 years and comparing it to legislative action on climate change or global warming (introduced legislation, not passed). I am looking at any indicators that politicians respond to polling on issues (they don't). It warmed my heart to see that our national concern about climate change was highest in the April 2000 and then nosedived following... the 9/11 attacks. And then again following the 2008 financial crisis. The oldest poll I've found is from 1983, where 63% combined respondents said global warming was at least somewhat serious a problem.

If there is any good news, the 116th congress saw more climate-related bills than any other by a pretty wide margin. So political consensus looks to finally be catching up to public opinion.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I've been reliably informed that the economy can still grow if we stay below 1.5c so ya'll can calm down now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's no drat way we're doing that

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

skylined! posted:

If there is any good news, the 116th congress saw more climate-related bills than any other by a pretty wide margin. So political consensus looks to finally be catching up to public opinion.

Not only this, but congress-critters who only two years ago swore they'd never cosign Green New Deal legislation are coming out of the woodwork to endorse GND legislation introduced this year.

I think we've hit a social tipping point that puts a lot of pressure on politicos, corporations, and tptb. The trick now is to not let the bankers take control of the transition.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

-Blackadder- posted:

To expand on the last point, it's interesting that Nuclear fears have an element of Body Horror that doesn't exist in Fossil Fuels; the psychological impact of which, I think plays a not insignificant part.

This body horror type revulsion goes by the name of "dread risk" or "the dread factor". It's triggered by things like the presence of a threat to future generations, potential for absolutely catastrophic outcomes, involvement being involuntary and high numbers of fatalities per event. Nuclear power ticks all those boxes in the public's perception.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Endjinneer posted:

This body horror type revulsion goes by the name of "dread risk" or "the dread factor". It's triggered by things like the presence of a threat to future generations, potential for absolutely catastrophic outcomes, involvement being involuntary and high numbers of fatalities per event. Nuclear power ticks all those boxes in the public's perception.

In the public's mind, yes, but outside of Chernobyl, rarely in real life.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This video is incredibly relevant to a discussion that seems to come up regularly in this thread. Hopefully this post doesn't get taken as advocating for violent action, but I think its important to recognize the various forms violence takes, and why society accepts some and not others. Climate change in and of itself is violence of the greatest order, violence that our society has deemed socially acceptable. Violence that is legally protected and likely to kill untold numbers of people. How do you combat such violence when any act of resistance against it is considered an unacceptable form of violence? How do you fight for change when non-violent protest is not only ineffective, but functionally not possible as any form of protest is ultimately deemed violent?

Lots of questions, no answers, but the way our society views violence is exactly how we got here. When indigenous DAPL protestors are labeled as violent, but the cops beating them aren't, that's a problem. When the pipeline that's destroying sacred land and warming the planet isn't seen as violence, that's a problem.
Protest needs to be viewed as self defense against very real and horrible violent threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4G1Gjv7bA

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 7, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/ReutersScience/status/1468283748575760390

you'll be happy to know we've moved on to creating epitaphs for the climate extinction, rather than making efforts to stop it

lmao

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Luckily that type of project has been in the works for years now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
E: poo poo goddamn this is not my thread. FFS.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You linked the wrong video, I'm interested.

Slide 3 was essentially what my introduction to natural resources class was, but I'm sure he has more to say.
It's precisely why carbon capture, recycling, electric cars, and other engineering solutions won't solve the problem. The problem is a societal mindset completely removed from the consequences of their actions, and a reliance on systems built on overconsumption.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

https://twitter.com/ReutersScience/status/1468283748575760390

you'll be happy to know we've moved on to creating epitaphs for the climate extinction, rather than making efforts to stop it

lmao

The State of South Australia may just be the best example of moving to renewables in the world. Which is kinda surprising/amazing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just wanted to check. "Scientists have found that permafrost buried beneath the Arctic Ocean holds 60 billion tons of methane and 560 billion tons of organic carbon."

So methane is 100x more powerful so it is 6000Gt+560Gt. Humans release like 35Gt yearly. So if all that stuff beneath ocean melts, it corresponds to ~190x of yearly emissions.

Around 8Gt raises co2 ppm. So in total that amount raises the co2 ppm of atmosphere by 800? 🙈 Maybe half of it or so gets captured by oceans?

And of course that is just the stuff under ocean, it excludes all the trapped methane&carbon in permafrosts above sea level.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Getting captured by the ocean contributes to killing the ocean, so that's not all plus side either

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Revealed: Biden administration was not legally bound to auction gulf drilling rights

quote:

Justice department admits a previous ruling did not force the detonation of what environmentalists call ‘huge carbon bomb’

The Biden administration admitted that a court decision did not compel it to lease vast tracts of the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling, shortly before claiming it was legally obliged to do so when announcing the sell-off, the Guardian can reveal.

Last month, the US government held the largest-ever auction of oil and gas drilling leases in the Gulf of Mexico’s history, offering up more than 80m acres of the gulf’s seabed for fossil fuel extraction.

The enormous sale, which took place just four days after crucial UN climate talks in Scotland, represented a spectacular about-turn from Joe Biden’s previous promise to halt offshore drilling and was denounced by outraged environmental groups as a “huge carbon bomb”.

The president’s administration insisted it was obliged to hold the lease sale due to a court ruling in favor of a dozen states that sued to lift a blanket pause placed on new drilling permits by Biden.

But a memo filed by the US Department of Justice before the lease sale acknowledges that this judgement does not force the government to auction off drilling rights to the gulf.

“While the order enjoins and restrains (the department of) interior from implementing the pause, it does not compel interior to take the actions specified by plaintiffs, let alone on the urgent timeline specified in plaintiffs’ contempt motion,” wrote government lawyers to the federal court in Louisiana in August.

The issuance of new drilling permits would require further steps under federal laws, the memo states, adding that “the court’s order does not compel the agency to act in contravention of these other authorities”.

The memo’s language was first referenced by The Daily Poster.

Just a month after arguing that it was not required to hold the sale, however, the department of interior’s bureau of ocean energy management (BOEM) announced it would auction off an area of the gulf that is two times the size of Florida to oil and gas companies.

The expanse of the gulf put up for auction contains around 1.12bn barrels of oil and 4.2tn cubic ft of gas, with the leases locking in years – and potentially decades – of planet-heating emissions. It comes at a time when the International Energy Agency has said no new fossil fuel projects can be established after this year if the world is to avoid catastrophic heatwaves, flooding and other disastrous impacts from runaway climate change.

“The administration has been misleading on this, to put it mildly. It’s very disappointing,” said Thomas Meyer, national organizing manager of Food and Water Watch. “They didn’t have to hold this sale and they didn’t have to hold it on this timeline.

“We know this will exacerbate the climate crisis, it undermines US credibility abroad and it contradicts a campaign promise by Biden. If the administration was taking the climate crisis seriously they would be fighting tooth and nail to keep every molecule of fossil fuel in the ground. They are nowhere near to doing that.”

The auction, held on 17 November , ended up netting the government $191.6m from companies such as Exxon, Chevron and BP, the company responsible for the Deepwater Horizon disaster in 2010. A total of 308 tracts of the gulf’s seabed were sold off, covering 1.7m acres, an area larger than the state of Delaware.

The rapid staging of the lease sale was not required by the courts and could have instead been delayed by a proper federal review of climate and other environmental impacts according to Earthjustice, an environmental group that is suing to halt the leases before they come into effect in February.

“Interior had a lot of discretion over whether to hold this lease sale and they chose to do it anyway,” said Brettny Hardy, a senior attorney at Earthjustice.

“The Biden administration is talking about a climate crisis and getting to net-zero emissions and then it makes decisions like this that lock us into impacts for decades to come. These leases could potentially be producing oil 50 years from now. We have no good answer as to why they are doing this. It’s problematic and disappointing.”

A spokesperson for the department of interior said that it was “complying with a US district court’s decision” in going ahead with the leases. He did not answer questions over why the government said in August that this court decision does not compel the auction.

[...]

Drill baby drill.

Biden is such a worthless loving rear end in a top hat.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

He has only a few years left on Earth. Not much to lose anymore.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Slow News Day posted:

Revealed: Biden administration was not legally bound to auction gulf drilling rights

Drill baby drill.

Biden is such a worthless loving rear end in a top hat.

And after you put such effort in your posts defending his position!

Glad you've seen the light, brother.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

And after you put such effort in your posts defending his position!

Glad you've seen the light, brother.

Shocking that people can change their mind based on new info. Also: Don't do this clapback poo poo.

\/\/\/\/\/

Okay my bad. Thanks for clarifying.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 13, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
No, no, I'm genuinely glad. Apologies if it came off as snarky.

This is exactly the sort of indignation we need to feel regarding our disappointing ruling caste - never give politicians the benefit of the doubt.

I've had my own experiences with that in too many years doing activism.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone watch that "nature abhors a dome" video linked in the banner ads?

Despite my quibbles with the dichotomy he presents of "hosed" and "not hosed" as well as general frustration of the complete lack of materialist analysis in his reasoning, dude is bang on about the scale and severity of the incoming apocalypse.

His comments on the 5 stages of climate grief especially as applied to the world at large after a mass awakening are chilling to say the least

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Anyone watch that "nature abhors a dome" video linked in the banner ads?

Despite my quibbles with the dichotomy he presents of "hosed" and "not hosed" as well as general frustration of the complete lack of materialist analysis in his reasoning, dude is bang on about the scale and severity of the incoming apocalypse.

His comments on the 5 stages of climate grief especially as applied to the world at large after a mass awakening are chilling to say the least

CSPAM Enviro/Biosphere thread is where to be if you were able to absorb those 180 minutes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of, https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/12/13/thwaites-glacier-melt-antarctica/

quote:

But when the shelf fails, the eastern third of Thwaites Glacier will triple in speed, spitting formerly landlocked ice into the sea. Total collapse of Thwaites could result in several feet of sea level rise, scientists say, endangering millions of people in coastal areas.

“It’s upwardly mobile in terms of how much ice it could put into the ocean in the future as these processes continue,” said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the University of Colorado Boulder, and a leader of the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration (ITGC). He spoke to reporters via Zoom from McMurdo Station on the coast of Antarctica, where he is awaiting a flight to his field site atop the crumbling ice shelf.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tiberion02 posted:

CSPAM Enviro/Biosphere thread is where to be if you were able to absorb those 180 minutes

Gonna ask nicely: Do not come into D&D and promote CSPAM threads, thanks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Do you want to talk about nature abhors a dome, then?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Do you want to talk about nature abhors a dome, then?

I don't know what that is. Would you like to just tell us about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

It's a related thread and covers the video the guy was asking about better. It's like redirecting someone to a/i for cars imo