Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean you don't want to rock the boat, maybe this extremely beautiful woman who appeared out of nowhere in the magic langoliers zone and has weird and specific things she wants us to do actually does desperately want to bone us all, don't ruin this you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

was she doing her low level compulsion thing there? i forget

It's not clear from the text but maybe?

Either way that whole sequence is one that I'm really looking forward to on the show. Reading it as a teenager the first time was just "oh wow, hot lady? wait she's bad but, important thing here, hot lady?!" but listening to Wheel Takes react to that I realized that it's just a hilarious, hilarious scene as an adult. You stupid stupid horny teenager! No! Bad!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh you stupid boy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Perrin's the only one of the three who doesn't think with his dagger

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I gotta assume the show will drop the thing where "Selene" is hot and young, but "Lanfear" is an even hotter MILF, which was one of RJ's hornier things coming through. I think he used the word "ripen" in there somewhere.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

eke out posted:

was she doing her low level compulsion thing there? i forget

Don't need compulsion to make a teenage boy too horny to think straight.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Perrin's the only one of the three who doesn't think with his dagger

he prefers to think with his axe

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I gotta assume the show will drop the thing where "Selene" is hot and young, but "Lanfear" is an even hotter MILF, which was one of RJ's hornier things coming through. I think he used the word "ripen" in there somewhere.

he does, but tbh i think it's kinda cool to portray a woman's aging as very attractive, so i'll give him a pass on this horny. he also uses language like this regarding morgase

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Dingleberry2 posted:

But in the context of a show, if you're trying to attract viewers with no story knowledge, you have to make them think that even "important" characters can die. So Perrin's wife can die. So can seemingly important Green sister and her warder. I've seen many non-book reader reviewers who speculated that Nynaeve would bond Stepin eventually. So him dying gave them world building and drama. If you put all the focus on the Emonds Field people then eventually every side character is a Red Shirt and people will stop caring about people in danger because of plot armor. That's something that GoT definitely did right, as far as making danger real for every character up through season 6 or so anyways.

That's not to say the show can't do better. I know it gets a lot of grief here for again not being exactly like the books, but I think the Witcher is an incredible adaptation. You can tell they really cared about the lore and the characters. In episode 1 Geralt takes Renfris badge. In episode 3 it's revealed as one of his prize possessions. By episode 6 he's had it worked into his sword hilt. Great continuity, and a great example of show, don't tell. Little things like that can go a long way and I wouldn't say there's been a bunch of evidence of that in WoT, so far, at least.
If you're trying to attract viewers with no book knowledge you should probably get them invested in the main characters. How are the Emond's Field 5 supposed to carry this show another 7 seasons when they've been developed less than Steppin, Siuan or Dana the dark friend? Each of the ef5 could have really used an episode where they were the focus like those 3 side characters I just mentioned.

I think people are invested in Moiraine and Lan, but don't care too much about the EF5 as individuals yet. Maybe the show fixes this in the remaining 100-110 minutes of the season, but it seems like they've run out of time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

th3t00t posted:

How are the Emond's Field 5 supposed to carry this show another 7 seasons when they've been developed less than Steppin, Siuan or Dana the dark friend?

love making up a false fact to get mad about

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

dana the darkfriend is actually the dragon reborn, the clues are all there

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eke out posted:

love making up a false fact to get mad about

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Perrin is the only one on that list below Siuan so you're not really proving your point.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Raw word count seems like a poor metric for this comparison in any case.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That doesn't take into account all the internal monologuing they're all doing that we don't see

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does Perrin's RAAAAAAAAAW! screaming count as a word?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Raw word count seems like a poor metric for this comparison in any case.

what do you mean, it's obviously a flaw that the really quiet, big dude doesn't say much and that the other 2 main guys are literally right at the top along with the big name star playing lady gandalf

nobody knows anything about these characters!!!!!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Just finished the "Oops, fell over the wall!" chapter of Eye, and he definitely describes Morgase as "Elayne, but matured and ripened".

I think the only thing I'm really disappointed about is them not doing anything with the heron mark blade after doing the zoom-in in the first episode.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 14, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does Perrin's RAAAAAAAAAW! screaming count as a word?

Well, the metric is raw word count.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Chapter 18/19 in The Great Hunt

I'm pretty sure this is the only time they traveled, like by walking, through a Portal Stone. IIRC they still use them later but they just teleport to their destination through them.

Did Robert Jordan ever say what was up with this mirror world with the sterilized water, huge burned plots of land, contrails in the sky, and absolutely no animal life (except for Gruns, which may have just been brought there by Lanfear). Was this supposed to be the wasteland of some sci-fi war with space lasers burning everything to death?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only time they traveled, like by walking, through a Portal Stone. IIRC they still use them later but they just teleport to their destination through them.

Did Robert Jordan ever say what was up with this mirror world with the sterilized water, huge burned plots of land, contrails in the sky, and absolutely no animal life (except for Gruns, which may have just been brought there by Lanfear). Was this supposed to be the wasteland of some sci-fi war with space lasers burning everything to death?

i think it is a world where the trollocs won the trolloc wars?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought it was just Kirby’s dreamland before he really set it into stone what the dreamland was.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

could have been just some potential outcome of a battle between channelers or some poo poo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SerSpook posted:

i think it is a world where the trollocs won the trolloc wars?

I mean, yeah they won the trolloc wars based on the statue, but there was also the sterilized water everywhere they drank, "long thin clouds" that sound like contrails, and big burned spots shaped like an eye always going from east-west, like non-polar satellites.

Edit:

quote:

Again they crossed land blackened and burned, even the soil crunching under the horses’ hooves as if it had been seared. The burned swathes, sometimes a mile wide, sometimes only a few hundred paces, all ran east and west as straight as an arrow’s flight. Twice Rand saw the end of a burn, once as they rode over it, once as they passed nearby; they tapered to points at the ends. At least, the ends he saw were so, but he suspected they were all the same.
Once he had watched Whatley Eldin decorate a cart for Sunday, back home in Emond’s Field, What painting the scenes in bright colors, and the intricate scrollwork that surrounded them. For the borders, What let the point of his brush touch the cart, making a thin line that grew thicker as he pressed harder, then thinner again as he eased up. That was how the land looked, as if someone had streaked it with a monstrous brush of fire.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

what do you mean, it's obviously a flaw that the really quiet, big dude doesn't say much and that the other 2 main guys are literally right at the top along with the big name star playing lady gandalf

nobody knows anything about these characters!!!!!
The other way of looking at it is that Rand/Mat have been here for 6 episodes to Siuan's 1, and they only have half again her word count (individually).

Devorum posted:

Just finished the "Oops, fell over the wall!" chapter of Eye, and he definitely describes Morgase as "Elayne, but matured and ripened".

I think the only thing I'm really disappointed about is them not doing anything with the heron mark blade after doing the zoom-in in the first episode.
Probably/hopefully they're going to slot that in with the rest of the Rand lore dump they're doing episode 7, but I'm really not a fan of the whole "wait until the end to shove all of Rand's poo poo" approach they're taking.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I could very easily be wrong, but is that the one where the Trollocs murdered everyone and then the trollocs just kinda died out?

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Jedit posted:

Well, the metric is raw word count.

So it should really be Perrin 1, everyone else 0.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RandomReader posted:

The other way of looking at it is that Rand/Mat have been here for 6 episodes to Siuan's 1, and they only have half again her word count (individually).

okay, cool, i'm glad for that because she's an important character who will be more relevant later and won't be for a while after that episode, and literally most of her role in that episode is sitting there and talking in wizard court instead of running from being killed or whatever the gently caress, which is a fact i don't have to cope about and constantly complain about the presence of

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RandomReader posted:

I could very easily be wrong, but is that the one where the Trollocs murdered everyone and then the trollocs just kinda died out?

Yeah the implication is that the trollocs won vs. Artur Hawkwing and then *everything* died in the Dark One's victory.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, yeah they won the trolloc wars based on the statue, but there was also the sterilized water everywhere they drank, "long thin clouds" that sound like contrails, and big burned spots shaped like an eye always going from east-west, like non-polar satellites.

Edit:

I always figured the Portal Stones were Jordan playing with alternate worlds before he had settled on TAR as closer to his vision of the role of myth. It was jarring to come across them in Book 2 and then never really return to them later.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine having to write all the post-Traveling books with the same level of detail of trudging across-country as in the first couple of books

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Prairie Bus posted:

I always figured the Portal Stones were Jordan playing with alternate worlds before he had settled on TAR as closer to his vision of the role of myth. It was jarring to come across them in Book 2 and then never really return to them later.

T'a'R and alternate worlds both show up in book 2 for the first time I think. He just doesnt' do much with the alternates after flicker flicker flicker, because what else could be done?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol at dana having more words than perrin or thom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

T'a'R and alternate worlds both show up in book 2 for the first time I think. He just doesnt' do much with the alternates after flicker flicker flicker, because what else could be done?

also there's so much going on in the world they give a poo poo about that i figure they probably don't really feel like unpacking just what the gently caress is happening in those others

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Do you remember when that is? I’ll cop to missing it, but I remember feeling like it came out of nowhere in TDR when Egwene begins thinking she was a Dreamer.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Perrin is the only one on that list below Siuan so you're not really proving your point.
It's proving my point that the "mains" are anywhere close to the word count of single episode characters(1.5 in stepin's case).

Dana was 4th in word count for the entire series at the end of episode 3 and she was barely behind Rand and Mat.

It would be like if LOTR gave the innkeeper in Bree a 20 minute monologue to almost catch him up in word count to Gandalf and Frodo. It's a bizarre use of the limited screen time the show has.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

th3t00t posted:

It would be like if LOTR gave the innkeeper in Bree a 20 minute monologue to almost catch him up in word count to Gandalf and Frodo. It's a bizarre use of the limited screen time the show has.

Who is the Innkeeper in Bree and who is Gandalf is this?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

Who is the Innkeeper in Bree and who is Gandalf is this?
Dana is the inkeeper in Bree and Moiraine is Gandalf. Rand is Frodo.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 14, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

th3t00t posted:

It's proving my point that the "mains" are anywhere close to the word count of single episode characters(1.5 in stepin's case).

Haha we've seen 6 episodes of an 8 episode season with at least one more on the way, I'm gonna make a wild assumption that by the end of season 2 all of the main characters will have spoken more words.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hmmm it's almost like the character who existed primarily to let Mat and Rand talk about each other and their place in the world... talked to both of them, in one episode

therefore, she has more character development than either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope we get Gandalf and Saruman boning down in the new series