Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
One of YouTubeTV's greatests feature is the customizable guide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

Have you removed it from your channel guide? That might remove it from recommendations

I had not, I moved it to the very end of the guide but I didn't want to take it out completely, in the off chance that there might be an interview once or twice a year that I might want to watch. But I'll give that a try. It's annoying that these recommendations aren't based off my viewing patterns though, at least not entirely. I assume channels maybe pay Youtube to promote them?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Keep in mind that YouTube TV is owned by Google so they have an enormous amount of information about what (they believe) your interests are.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Roku caved all hail YTTV
https://twitter.com/business/status/1468619140718075913

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

YTTV and Disney are in contract negotiations that end Friday. YTTV again is saying they'll lower prices $15 if no deal is reached and honestly, this is a great strategy to keep me on their side. Having FX/FXX is nice but for $15/mo I can sub to ad-free Hulu and still have a couple bucks left over. The only thing I might lose at that point is same day airings vs next day airings and live sports on ESPN which for some people isn't even a problem.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, I have the Disney bundle so dropping the YTTV price by $15 is perfectly okay with me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Quality is much higher on Hulu anyways. 4k on many new FX shows and 5.1 sound.

I would honestly PREFER the outcome where they can't hash out a contract.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ESPN is the 800 lb gorilla and I could see a ton of people canceling their YouTube TV subscriptions if they can’t get it.

Does the Disney bundle include ESPN?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 14, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

ESPN is the 800 lb gorilla and I could see a ton of people canceling their YouTube TV subscriptions if they can’t get it.

No, just ESPN+ which is *not* linear ESPN

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
And local ABC is somehow tied up in it. The linear ESPNs are a loss, but at this point gently caress all of them and charge me less. I already have the ESPN/Hulu/D+ bundle.

I love my sports, but at this point I'll just live without ESPN/2/3/News.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At this point, the OTA networks are treated as general audience cable channels so they are little more than a bargaining chip

Want CBS? Have to get CMT and VH1
NBC? Oxygen and USA
Fox? FS1 and Fox News
ABC? ESPN and FXX

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Josh Lyman posted:

The gorilla is dropping a fair amount of weight for the next 8 months with the end of the college football season. If I was gonna play hardball with ESPN this is the time of year I'd try it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

YTTV lost a lot of regional/local sports coverage thanks to Ballys. If they lose ESPN it's a big blow to their sports coverage, and sports coverage is pretty much the only reason I still care about having a live tv package. Even trash reality shows or bad Christmas holiday movies can be covered by cheaper services (Frndly, Discovery+)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Wow, I thought they were gonna have a deal made. They killed all the disney channels in the middle of the Lakers game.

Hello discount!

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I have YTTV, so now what are my options for watching Monday Night Football or any upcoming college bowl games on ESPN and ABC? I have access to a family member's Spectrum account credentials if needed.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Figured they'd work it out. Went to put on ESPN/SEC Net and welp. Might go back after Bowl season. But for now seems like a good time to give the FUBOtv free trial a go.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Welp, didn't think the deal would actually fall through but here we are. Is HuluTV better than it was a year or two back? I had it for a while and thought it was complete garbage, especially compared to YTTV.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

frosteh posted:

I have YTTV, so now what are my options for watching Monday Night Football or any upcoming college bowl games on ESPN and ABC? I have access to a family member's Spectrum account credentials if needed.

Spectrum account sharing doesn’t work because they restrict to IP (and they provide the IP so there no workaround)

Time to set up an antenna for ABC games I suppose. For ESPN you can sign up for the Disney+ bundle with ESPN+

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 18, 2021

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Spectrum account sharing doesn’t work because they restrict to IP (and they provide the IP so there no workaround)

Time to set up an antenna for ABC games I suppose. For ESPN you can sign up for the Disney+ bundle with ESPN+

Just FYI, ESPN and ESPN+ are not the same thing. You need some kind of provider to get live ESPN, they have no other option available.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Enos Cabell posted:

Welp, didn't think the deal would actually fall through but here we are. Is HuluTV better than it was a year or two back? I had it for a while and thought it was complete garbage, especially compared to YTTV.

It has some issues here and there but I’ve been using it for months after cutting cable and I love it to death. The interface/ui design is probably my favorite of any Apple TV app, clean and minimal, and the selection is very good. I’ve had a few issues with nba games freezing up lately but it takes like 3 seconds to get it going again. I deep dove into comparisons/reviews of the various live tv streaming services and have looked back around some since and I definitely have no interest in changing.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I also switched over to Hulu Live from YTTV and don’t have any regrets. The YTTV DVR was a bit better but Hulu does everything I need it do and I bundle with ESPN+ and D+ anyways.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wonder if the UI is different on AppleTV, because that was my biggest complaint about it on Android. I did go ahead and resubscribe to it this morning, because I needed an ESPN option for the volleyball championship tonight. Kinda miffed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get ad-free streaming when you are signed up for the live tv package. Also seems to be the most expensive option out there at $69.99/month. Should get me through the end of the NFL season at least, just glad I don't care about basketball or baseball and can safely cancel then.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I also switched over to Hulu Live from YTTV and don’t have any regrets. The YTTV DVR was a bit better but Hulu does everything I need it do and I bundle with ESPN+ and D+ anyways.

Aside from the DVR being better and YTTV having AMC, they’re both pretty close feature wise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll happily take the $15/month price cut on top of my T-Mobile discount and really wouldn't care if they ever sort it out

If the price of service rises above what it was before in order to accommodate a new contract, I'm out altogether. I really don't need a live tv service and if it wasn't for the T-Mobile discount I would probably be done already. It's far cheaper to buy the handful of things I watch on linear tv piecemeal and I can't even give two shits about sports.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hulus DVR pissed me off because on top of limited storage it would always record reruns of some poo poo even though I told it to do new shows only. So I’d always run out of space because it would record every 90 Day Fiancé airing it could. I think Plex used to have the same problem but I wasn’t limited in space there

It is kind of an interesting fight. Google dealing with content providers knowing they are getting increasingly desperate and even mighty ESPN has been shedding subscribers because of cord cutting or viewership declines of their cash cows, ESPN knowing it's still the big dog and why most people still get cable

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

It is kind of an interesting fight. Google dealing with content providers knowing they are getting increasingly desperate and even mighty ESPN has been shedding subscribers because of cord cutting or viewership declines of their cash cows, ESPN knowing it's still the big dog and why most people still get cable

ESPN is absolutely the only reason I keep cable. Any online streaming service that also has ESPN channels is more expensive than the deals Comcast keeps tossing my way. I'd love for there to be an ala carte option with regards to ESPN --maybe turn ESPN+ into a full featured offering. But I think for them to make it cash positive they'd need to charge at least $25/mo (this number was bounced around a few years ago, ESPN pays stupid amounts of money for broadcast rights, especially for NFL and college sports). And that just gives me more incentive to stick with my CableCard + HDHomerun Prime + PLEX DVR.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If you are looking for NFL games, you can watch local and National games on the NFL app.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

ESPN is absolutely the only reason I keep cable. Any online streaming service that also has ESPN channels is more expensive than the deals Comcast keeps tossing my way. I'd love for there to be an ala carte option with regards to ESPN --maybe turn ESPN+ into a full featured offering. But I think for them to make it cash positive they'd need to charge at least $25/mo (this number was bounced around a few years ago, ESPN pays stupid amounts of money for broadcast rights, especially for NFL and college sports). And that just gives me more incentive to stick with my CableCard + HDHomerun Prime + PLEX DVR.

Yeah, calling every 1-2 years and getting on a new promo kept my bundle to be about the same it is right now with internet + YTTV. It is nice not having to call every 1-2 years, but it seems like streaming services have just normalized their price around what everyone else pays

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just did the Sling Orange for $10 first month promo with a new email account to watch ESPN until they get this sorted out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m wondering if Google is thinking another price hike will kill the service given the poo poo they got back when it went to $65. Hulu at least bundles their great VOD package to soften the blow, YTTV is just pure TV and they already have the best features. Not sure what else they can offer to sweeten the service with another hike. Maybe raise it $10 and include 4k standard and act like you’re actually saving money

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney is planning on axing FX before the end of the next carriage agreement and I wonder if they are trying to include language that allows them to do so without changing how much they charge.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Is have spectrum without internet

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Disney caved and nothing changes it seems like

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Everyone gets a onetime $15 credit for a day and half interruption which isn’t too bad.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have HBOMax through YoutubeTV. Every 3 or 4 days, my roku tv says that the log in has expired. I then have to sign out and then sign back in. One time, I had literally finished an episode of station eleven. When I backed out to the main HBO Max screen, it logged me out.

Anyone else having issues with Rokus losing their HBO Max log in if through YouTubeTV?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have HBOMax through YoutubeTV. Every 3 or 4 days, my roku tv says that the log in has expired. I then have to sign out and then sign back in. One time, I had literally finished an episode of station eleven. When I backed out to the main HBO Max screen, it logged me out.

Anyone else having issues with Rokus losing their HBO Max log in if through YouTubeTV?

Yes same here. Roku tv. HBO max through YTTV. Does the same exact thing and it's *infuriating.*

Sometimes it takes several tries before it even takes. It honestly makes me want to cancel. Just not worth the constant hassle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yes it is.

Mine is a little more irritating.

I share YTTV with my younger brother. He has the account, I am added as a family member. HBO Max does not recognize my YTTV log in (while showtime does) so I have to message my brother to log me in.

He then gets to complain about how I always need logged in for. Come on HBO and Roku, just let me start watching Righteous Gemstones.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Checking out the spectrum tv app because $20 for tv sounds better than $65 for YTTV... Especially since they have overlap of what we watch.

But... You can't pause live tv on the spectrum app.

What the gently caress? Total deal breaker

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ability to pause Live TV would require a DVR setup and they don’t have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FCKGW posted:

The ability to pause Live TV would require a DVR setup and they don’t have that.

I know. Which is dumb. I mean the ability to pause live tv is inextricable from the standard viewing experience in 2022.

Also Hulu live tv is now starting at $70 because you have to get the D+/ESPN+ bundle.

$75 if you want Hulu with no ads.

Geez.