Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm applying for jobs. Last month I applied as the director of ecommerce for this place and didn't get the job but the company's values were really impressive, they were all about maintaining a healthy work-life balance, etc. The application was pretty painless.

This month they have a new posting for basically one step down from that role, managing a specific subset of the business's ecommerce. Okay, cool, that's more in line with my experience, so I go to apply again.

This time I had to take a 60 question questionnaire full of questions like:

:thunk:

Other questions were things like a choice between

"I appreciate new opportunities at work"
and
"I would never use sick time if I'm not actually feeling sick."

Reminds me of a pic someone shared from a Best Buy employment quiz. The question was "Do we greet customers coming into our store?" Person answered "Yes" and the quiz went "Incorrect, we welcome customers into our store."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alkydere posted:

Reminds me of a pic someone shared from a Best Buy employment quiz. The question was "Do we greet customers coming into our store?" Person answered "Yes" and the quiz went "Incorrect, we welcome customers into our store."

Part of this: https://twitter.com/VeryBadLlama/status/1469756987105763333

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Have you stopped beating your wife?

A) Yes
B) No
C) I am too busy toiling to get married

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Which statement do you agree with more?

A) As a salaried employee, it my my duty, nay my pleasure, to work 80 hours a week with no extra compensation.

B) It is never okay for an employee to go to the bathroom on company time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

B the cruelty aligns with the company mission better

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I'm applying for jobs. Last month I applied as the director of ecommerce for this place and didn't get the job but the company's values were really impressive, they were all about maintaining a healthy work-life balance, etc. The application was pretty painless.

This month they have a new posting for basically one step down from that role, managing a specific subset of the business's ecommerce. Okay, cool, that's more in line with my experience, so I go to apply again.

This time I had to take a 60 question questionnaire full of questions like:

:thunk:

Other questions were things like a choice between

"I appreciate new opportunities at work"
and
"I would never use sick time if I'm not actually feeling sick."

This is so surreal. I've never had to do anything like this in my entire 20+ year career and I've changed jobs many times, especially when I was primarily doing contract work.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is so surreal. I've never had to do anything like this in my entire 20+ year career and I've changed jobs many times, especially when I was primarily doing contract work.

It's an easy way to weed out the lovely jobs because they all want you to jump through tons of hoops just for the privilege of sending them your resume, the problem is the job market right now is like 95% lovely jobs and huge amounts of competition for the 5% that are tolerable. So 95% of applications right now are full of that poo poo

I tried to apply as a pharmacy tech to CVS and I had to create a profile on some CVS employee social media platform and write a bio and enter a bunch of PII just to get to the application. Lmao gently caress that

I broke down and applied as a sales rep/account manager for some cannabis SaaS thing I know nothing about and they made me take a 20 question test on marketing and methods of statistical analysis to proceed with the application.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 14, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It seems like most places are doing whatever they can to avoid hiring people. Just adding barrier after barrier to stop people from applying. Maybe it's intentional to weed out all but the most desperate willing to slog through anything because they are easier to exploit and abuse. Or they're just incredibly incompetent at recruiting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's because these businesses are trying to get desperate people that will actually stay and work for lovely wages in a toxic workplace. If you're willing to go through all of that and show up then you're desperate and they can get away with more.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Considering how many simple and easy application services there are, it is absolutely lovely corporations who force their prospective employees to do this.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

It's because these businesses are trying to get desperate people that will actually stay and work for lovely wages in a toxic workplace. If you're willing to go through all of that and show up then you're desperate and they can get away with more.

My job had one of those things, but it was after you submitted your resume. It was my last application of the afternoon and I had already dealt with a bunch of it that day so after I submitted my resume and saw that I just said gently caress it I'll do it later. I ended up forgetting about it for a few days cause I had other interviews lined up and I got contacted by one of their recruiters asking to me finish the application, instead I just said if they liked my resume we could interview and I'd fill it out after an offer. Surprisingly this worked and I had an informal offer after an interview like a week later and just ended up finishing the questionaire and such before I started.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Honestly so many companies I've worked at had something like that somewhere in the process but it was largely ignored. It was always just some bullshit an HR consulting service sold them and they never learned how to use or gave a poo poo about, but some exec who had a really nice lunch with a sales guy wanted it to be used for every employee.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hiring people is legit hard and we've solved it the same way we solve every other hard problem: pay consultants for their ideas so when they don't work there is someone to blame.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think largely businesses are also trying to manifest the labor shortage they complain about so that someone has to come in and help them lest the entire patriotic american economy should fail

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
failed the Amazon pull interview. oh well.

back to submitting five applications a day and getting nowhere

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

kntfkr posted:

failed the Amazon pull interview. oh well.

back to submitting five applications a day and getting nowhere

I mean, given the recent news about the company, bullet and/or collapsing roof dodged?

The part where they wrote up the guy who saved his own life by bailing on his shift really was the cherry on top.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Atopian posted:

The part where they wrote up the guy who saved his own life by bailing on his shift really was the cherry on top.

What is this story?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

zedprime posted:

Hiring people is legit hard and we've solved it the same way we solve every other hard problem: pay consultants for their ideas so when they don't work there is someone to blame.

My company has a consultant to tell them what to pay everyone . It came up multiple times when I was trying to get our department to raise wages so we’d stop hemorrhaging people. The HR guy was even like “well if you want to go get a master’s degree in economics, go ahead”. A month later, we have 7 open job slots in a department that has 15 people total. All of a sudden, everyone gets a dollar an hour raise! Imagine that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Atopian posted:

I mean, given the recent news about the company, bullet and/or collapsing roof dodged?

It would have been a cush job classifying parts AWS buys, so like 84xx whatever. Just googling HTS codes for 6 figures. Probably not as easy as all that but money would have been sweet.

At least I don't have to move to Seattle I guess lol

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It loving rules that Amazon explicitly demonstrated that they don't care if their employees die on company time because it would negatively impact production to have safety protocols and nobody cares and people are still touting the "People are just too lazy to work!" line.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Mantle posted:

What is this story?

I don't have a suitable image host, but essentially one of the survivors explaining his interaction with Amazon HR, who insisted that he would need to dispute the infraction with his local office. Which was under a pile of rubble, but nevertheless!

They're racking up an impressive kill-count recently.

Edit: people are, if anything, being too soft on Amazon in the media.
They have done everything that they can to remove local human input from their decision-making processes, and have accepted the loss of flexibility that accompanies that.
So when that inflexibility got a bunch of people killed, it wasn't some weird fluke, it's a directly predictable result of a tradeoff that they chose to make.
And before anyone says "unforeseeable", I refuse to believe that there have never been less-visible emergency situations that were negatively affected by adherence to procedure that could have been learned from.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 14, 2021

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Mantle posted:

What is this story?

The recent tornado that ripped through Illinois went through an Amazon warehouse where the workers were specifically told not to leave even though there was a goddamn tornado and at least eight of the workers died from said goddamn tornado ripping through said goddamn Amazon warehouse.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/12/1063522811/emergency-response-continues-in-kentucky-after-deadly-tornadoes-in-south-and-mid

Amazon can take their "we do so much more for our employees than just pay them $15 an hour" streaming TV advertising bullshit and shove it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite thing about Amazon is that one of the largest wealth transfers of all time happened as a direct result of jeff bezos' ex-wife dumping his useless rear end. Dumping jeff bezos is officially one of the highest paid gigs in the history of humanity. And he is probably extremely mad that she just gives it all away lmao

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Remember when the Starbucks guy was going to try and use his vast wealth to run as an independent and everyone told him to eat poo poo? I kind of wish people had allowed him to spend more money on a failed campaign.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Domus posted:

My company has a consultant to tell them what to pay everyone . It came up multiple times when I was trying to get our department to raise wages so we’d stop hemorrhaging people. The HR guy was even like “well if you want to go get a master’s degree in economics, go ahead”. A month later, we have 7 open job slots in a department that has 15 people total. All of a sudden, everyone gets a dollar an hour raise! Imagine that.
I wonder when your consultant got his vaunted Master’s Degree in Economics - smart money is 2010 or thereabouts, when “it’s a recession, if you don’t want our minimum wage job, I can find someone else who will was viable rather than the current strong labor market.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

I think largely businesses are also trying to manifest the labor shortage they complain about so that someone has to come in and help them lest the entire patriotic american economy should fail

the labour shortage is combined with the great resignation. I guess that means lots of open positions but also lots of unsuitable candidates trying to switch fields or jump up the ladder.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

stinch posted:

the labour shortage is combined with the great resignation. I guess that means lots of open positions but also lots of unsuitable candidates trying to switch fields or jump up the ladder.

Possibly, of course, but a problem not addressed by questions like those in the questionairres. Technical questions about job requirements, sure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people quit to find a less terrible job with a better company, all the jobs that opened up are with the companies they left.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hey, everyone! It's okay! Bezos cares!

He's sending thoughts and prayers!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Atopian posted:

I don't have a suitable image host, but essentially one of the survivors explaining his interaction with Amazon HR, who insisted that he would need to dispute the infraction with his local office. Which was under a pile of rubble, but nevertheless!

They're racking up an impressive kill-count recently.

Edit: people are, if anything, being too soft on Amazon in the media.
They have done everything that they can to remove local human input from their decision-making processes, and have accepted the loss of flexibility that accompanies that.
So when that inflexibility got a bunch of people killed, it wasn't some weird fluke, it's a directly predictable result of a tradeoff that they chose to make.
And before anyone says "unforeseeable", I refuse to believe that there have never been less-visible emergency situations that were negatively affected by adherence to procedure that could have been learned from.

Well yeah Amazon owns one of the major news outlets, so it is unlikely the Washington Post is going to take a hard stance against their growing monopoly despite whatever they claim for journalist independence. Like expecting the Monsanto employee newsletter to come out against crop experiments.

My favorite thing about Amazon is that one of the largest wealth transfers of all time happened as a direct result of jeff bezos' ex-wife dumping his useless rear end. Dumping jeff bezos is officially one of the highest paid gigs in the history of humanity. And he is probably extremely mad that she just gives it all away lmao

She's the 21st richest person on the planet and is still sitting on over $60 billion, nearly doubled since the divorce. If she gave away enough to leave the three commas club it might matter but for now it's just buying good publicity.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Working for the government is so strange and untethered to the rest of economic reality in the country. We are laying contractors off during the holiday to tighten the belt while everyone else is experiencing worker shortages.

nvidiagouge fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 14, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo unironically believing there is a "worker shortage" is also a sign of being untethered from economic reality.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
have thoughts and prayers increased in value

Does anyone have Jeff Bezos's current email address? I like to ask him for money and haven't gotten a reply from Jeff@amazon.com in a long time now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Meme Poker Party posted:

imo unironically believing there is a "worker shortage" is also a sign of being untethered from economic reality.

If they say it enough times it will become true.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't believe approximately 800,000 Workers piled into a clown car rocket and permanently left Earth to go live on Mars. It is impossible to get Workers now no matter what conditions or pay, for they no longer exist on account of having gone to space.

- A business owner

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah I see what's actually going on I'm just using it as shorthand.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
kohls is paying 17 an hour where i is

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty crazy how much gender roles have switched at my workplace since I started. When I was first hired it was a bunch of Vietnam-era male boomers running everything and they were all the subject matter experts on everything and now that the younger generation is moving in and taking over it's heavily female at the managerial levels. The employee quality disparity between men and women in the younger generation is stark. The women are as good or better than their predecessors at running everything and the men are just awful, whiny, and emotionally stunted employees that don't know how to take any kind of constructive criticism or direction. Everything is always some kind of personal affront or attack on their insecurity. It's like the old stereotypes about gender flipped completely in a period of about 5-10 years.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nvidiagouge posted:

the men are just awful, whiny, and emotionally stunted employees that don't know how to take any kind of constructive criticism or direction. Everything is always some kind of personal affront or attack on their insecurity.

Maybe they just don't like you nagging them so much!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

nvidiagouge posted:

Working for the government is so strange and untethered to the ret of economic reality in the country. We are laying contractors off during the holiday to tighten the belt while everyone else is experiencing worker shortages.

Maybe this explains why I haven't been deployed to Kentucky. It's nice to be home for the holidays, at least!