Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Probably a dumb question, but since shield healing is the thing I've done the least: there's no point trying to keep E.Diagnosis up on the tank at all times right? Just when they're gathering trash or for a tank buster if Haima isn't available for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Begemot posted:

I've been lucky and got WoD the past few days, at least that goes okay once you get past Ahriman :v:

I feel like I've been seeing raid mechanics that I hadn't seen in years. Is it bad dps from new players and people on new jobs? Or stat squish?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

To broach a more general topic: when making dialogue choices, how many here treat the WoL as a character in their own right instead of an extension of yourself? Because there have been points where I passed over what might have been a funnier or spicier dialogue option simply because I couldn't envision my WoL saying it for whatever reason

I pick the funniest or meanest option every time, no exception

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I just did the quest that gives you a Chocobo battle buddy pet, wasn't expecting that!

Are these basically mercenaries from Everquest? Is there any point in not using them for farting around in PvE where they're usable?

If I'm a DPS class (Dragoon) is any of the single player content balanced around him needing to be a healer/tank, or can I just make him a damaging dude to speed things up?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I feel like I've been seeing raid mechanics that I hadn't seen in years. Is it bad dps from new players and people on new jobs? Or stat squish?

This was pre-stat squish but I was absolutely shocked fighting five headed dragon one time with a very, very bad group and seeing he was a pyretic attack if the fight goes on long enough

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devor posted:

I just did the quest that gives you a Chocobo battle buddy pet, wasn't expecting that!

Are these basically mercenaries from Everquest? Is there any point in not using them for farting around in PvE where they're usable?

If I'm a DPS class (Dragoon) is any of the single player content balanced around him needing to be a healer/tank, or can I just make him a damaging dude to speed things up?

You never *need* a chocobo out for single player overworld stuff but it helps, especially after you train them up with a few healer levels and they can Choco Cure you. And there's really no reason not to have your bird buddy out in places they can be out.

Their tanking ability is pretty trash, and only useful for sometimes interrupting an attack with a stun. Even as a healer you can easily steal hate off a chocobo tank.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Probably a dumb question, but since shield healing is the thing I've done the least: there's no point trying to keep E.Diagnosis up on the tank at all times right? Just when they're gathering trash or for a tank buster if Haima isn't available for some reason?

While I haven't done any extreme shield healing yet, I think that's the idea yeah. In boss fights you wanna primarily rely on your various gall heals, like Kerachole, with zoe + E.Diagnosis when it's up or when you need to provide room for the regen effects to work. I've seen some people say Haima + E.Diagnosis shields stack, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be they keep the Haima buff so that'll kick in for you when the first E.Diagnosis shield breaks.

I think E.Diagnosis is better for single hit tankbusters while Haima works better if it's going to be a multi-hit. Same with E.Prognosis and panhaima for raid-wides.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thundarr posted:

You never *need* a chocobo out for single player overworld stuff but it helps, especially after you train them up with a few healer levels and they can Choco Cure you. And there's really no reason not to have your bird buddy out in places they can be out.

So it's not a class-either-or thing with Chocobos, you can splash some healing, some damage?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Devor posted:

So it's not a class-either-or thing with Chocobos, you can splash some healing, some damage?

Yeah. Just set them to free stance and they'll DPS and toss you a heal when you need one. You can eventually get all the skills too, just gotta feed them Thavnairian onions for every level past 10.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Devor posted:

Level the healing line up to (but not beyond) Choco Surge, then focus the DPS line. (Though iirc the first two or three tank skills are worth picking up, you can't actually use them as a tank because they can't hold aggro)

You should always have it out when you're in the overworld, there's no reason not to unless you're trying to keep it out of people's way in a crowded area.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devor posted:

Yep. And eventually you can max them out in all three roles, and they can use all the abilities from each. Though some people argue that you shouldn't get that last healer level due to the AoE heal being a hps loss while solo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Devor posted:

Mostly do whatever you want. Having healing (specifically Choco Cure with Surge, the regen is tiny) can be helpful in those occasional situation you're soloing a boss FATE. The exception being the achievement boss FATEs with the 20+ minute timers, those can't be solo'd easily outside of BLU.

Devor posted:

By default, your Chocobo will max out at level 10, which will let you complete one tree, or get 9 ranks in one and 4 ranks in another, or any other combination you prefer. You can get Thavnairian Onions to increase the cap every time you reach it, up to 20, which will let you get every rank on all three trees. Unfortunately, the Onions are only obtainable through housing gardens, so they're not easy to get on your own. They can be bought off the marketboard but they're going to be expensive, like 200,000 gil or more (I've seen 400k+) for a single Onion, right now with the new expansion and people picking them up since there's a lot of new required solo stuff with the MSQ.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

During some of the more action-packed Endwalker scenes I was thinking about how my WoL has come a long way from the nerdy bookworm Arcanist he started as, so I want to ask: what has been your progression of main job since you started FFXIV, and do you think about that as an in-story element at all or not?

For me, I started as an Arcanist because at the time I thought I only really liked playing casters and healers in MMOs, and hey, this class let me get a two-for-one deal! I focused on Scholar at max level. I then took a long break from the game for pretty much the whole duration of Heavensward (no reflection on Heavensward, I just wasn't really playing MMOs at the time) and I when I came back for the Stormblood release I picked up Red Mage and did the whole HW/StB MSQ as that. Then I tried Gunbreaker when Shadowbringers released and that's been my main ever since. It's kind of fun to think of my WoL moving further and further away from casting and more towards swording over time, yet never losing his taste for explosions.

I never really had a main in ARR, which makes it kind of hard, I was just jumping from class to class for a while, started as a lancer, went bard, then warrior, then finally settled on black mage. All of this was basically before Second Coil came out, by then I was firmly a black mage. Of course I settled on black mage long enough for HW just to be an expansion of getting kicked in the balls. I know a lot of people now prefer the 'new' style, but I have hated enochian since it came out. It destroyed my chill fun explosion made and suddenly made it the most stressful job in the game and I have never gotten it back. SB saw me picking up samurai because I am a weeb and it felt right, though I settled on playing red mage, it was stylish, a caster, and I loved that it's rez could save the day. Stuck with it in ShB as a 'main' even if I play a lot of jobs. However EW has me wanting to stick with reaper.

An odd progression overall, and I guess if I tried to make something of it, it's that I love wielding magic in some form, and like all good magical girl story arcs, there has to be an edgy phase where it's about getting up close and personal.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

central dogma posted:

Any favorite artifact gear? I've gotten the RDM and SMN so far. The former is good except for the shorts, which is an odd fashion direction unless I'm missing some cultural derivation. The rapier is beautiful though.The SMN armor looks nice, easy to dye, and has wings and a head dong :) But the weapon is a little uninspired.

I'm finishing BLM next, but not excited at all about the gear. I might do a different job instead.

This is funny to me cause i hated the rapier, particularly it's catalyst. Would you like a Faberge egg in this trying time?
I recolored the body dark green and the hat and pants void blue, i look like a forest ranger and I loving love it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TGLT posted:

While I haven't done any extreme shield healing yet, I think that's the idea yeah. In boss fights you wanna primarily rely on your various gall heals, like Kerachole, with zoe + E.Diagnosis when it's up or when you need to provide room for the regen effects to work. I've seen some people say Haima + E.Diagnosis shields stack, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be they keep the Haima buff so that'll kick in for you when the first E.Diagnosis shield breaks.

I think E.Diagnosis is better for single hit tankbusters while Haima works better if it's going to be a multi-hit. Same with E.Prognosis and panhaima for raid-wides.

Thanks, that's more or less what I thought!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For 80-90 after completing the MSQ, does the usual “do your roulettes, then spam whatever the highest level dungeon is while loving around on the overworld” advice still apply, or is there something I’m missing?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Regalingualius posted:

For 80-90 after completing the MSQ, does the usual “do your roulettes, then spam whatever the highest level dungeon is while loving around on the overworld” advice still apply, or is there something I’m missing?

I have heard Bozja is at least as fast to 86 if you are somehow not bored to death of that place.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 14, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Right now that's pretty much it, though I wouldn't sleep on sidequests if you have been. Doing all of them was enough XP to get one Job of mine from 80-85 (maybe 86, I'm lowballing since there was the role quests, some FATEs and a few exploration bonuses in there too).

There might be more later if they add something like Bozja, but we haven't heard of anything yet. I think I someone mention Bozja giving XP past 80 in this thread, but I don't know if that's true or how much if it is. Edit: Guess it is true!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Have you done all the shared fate farming? I'm getting a shitload of levels out of these and I haven't even finished one zone to 60 yet.

Are the gem shops complete on their inventory? Or do they add more later? I know ShB had way more to buy than you'd earn capping all the zones

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I recently popped the last fantasia I had received as a christmas gift a few years ago, after completing the MSQs and I'm really really pleased with my viera

I was pretty surprised that SE bothered to make the Reaper 89 hat compatible with viera, and a whole bunch of other stuff you wouldn't expect, like the 83 dungeon gear. I'm more baffled as to why they bothered with some helms but not job specific ones that are extremely iconic like RDM. I'm trying to find some things to use with my glamours but it's weird how inconsistent recently added stuff is. Anyone have any ideas where I can find like, a list of viera compatible headgear?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

Have you done all the shared fate farming? I'm getting a shitload of levels out of these and I haven't even finished one zone to 60 yet.

Are the gem shops complete on their inventory? Or do they add more later? I know ShB had way more to buy than you'd earn capping all the zones

iirc in Shadowbringers some things were added to the gem shops over the course of the 5.x patches.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Filthy Haiku posted:

I recently popped the last fantasia I had received as a christmas gift a few years ago, after completing the MSQs and I'm really really pleased with my viera

I was pretty surprised that SE bothered to make the Reaper 89 hat compatible with viera, and a whole bunch of other stuff you wouldn't expect, like the 83 dungeon gear. I'm more baffled as to why they bothered with some helms but not job specific ones that are extremely iconic like RDM. I'm trying to find some things to use with my glamours but it's weird how inconsistent recently added stuff is. Anyone have any ideas where I can find like, a list of viera compatible headgear?

Here's a list from a couple years ago, doesn't have EW stuff.

The general rule of thumb is that anything pre-Shadowbringers won't be wearable unless it's more of a head accessory than a hat or helmet. So like glasses or a headband or whatever, those are fine, but literally anything that covers the head, even if it covers it completely, can't be worn by viera. Hrothgar can wear full helmets, so I guess it's a matter of the ears, they don't want to handwave folding them down for whatever reason. I was annoyed to see that my bunny boy couldn't wear the elemental armor helmet, even though my hrothgar could.

Newer stuff is kind of a grab-bag. Some things you can wear that you wouldn't expect, like the reaper hat, they seem to be making more of an effort to make stuff that's compatible. YoshiP mentioned working on the issue in the latest live letter, IIRC, it's coming down the pipe along with hrothgals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Awful lot of people in the 89 and 90 dungeons lately that don't have their AF gear...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Awful lot of people in the 89 and 90 dungeons lately that don't have their AF gear...

Do you get your AF gear before the 89 dungeon? I remember it being after.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arist posted:

You are correct; same goes for the trial, assuming the players are progressing through the MSQ.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arist posted:

It's right after, but I was running it with people that didn't have the newbie bonus. As well as expert roulettes for the 90.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SirPhoebos posted:

To broach a more general topic: when making dialogue choices, how many here treat the WoL as a character in their own right instead of an extension of yourself? Because there have been points where I passed over what might have been a funnier or spicier dialogue option simply because I couldn't envision my WoL saying it for whatever reason

I’m actually not really sure how much of Ceail is me and how much of her is, well, Ceail. She’s certainly a better and more competent person than me, cause she actually knows what to say and do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

However EW has me wanting to stick with reaper.

An odd progression overall, and I guess if I tried to make something of it, it's that I love wielding magic in some form, and like all good magical girl story arcs, there has to be an edgy phase where it's about getting up close and personal.

Reaper does seem really cool, though perhaps it is too edgy for me???

Then again I do enjoy that dork Magus from Chrono Trigger so maybe I'll just lean into that when I eventually level it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For me, I simply can't identify too much with the PC in this game, because the plot keeps railroading you into what I consider very stupid decisions and actions.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Well goddamn. Just finished ShB 5.0. What a ride, lived up to all the hype which I didn’t think was possible. The last dungeon and trial were great. I would love to get to Endwalker but I’m having some real bad alt-job-itis so now im leveling GNB and nuSMN to 80.

drat if it’s not hard to pick a main for Endwalker though. My cat man WoL has always been a DRG for the MSQ, so it’s hard to see him as anything else in cutscenes. However, nuSMN is incredibly fun. It’s a little simple, but no downtime and picking when you summon things gives it enough complexity to be really fun.

Any lvl 90 nuSMN have any advice? Does the fun wear off after getting over the newness? Lvl 90 DRG just kind of seems like “DRG but more DRG” so it may be time for a change!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reaper rules. No regrets maining it.

The only thing I don't really like is the debuff tbh. In practice it's a non issue but I just don't like maintenance buttons that don't really play into your kit (yes I know it gives you red juice on adds but that's not really relevant in savage or trial content typically.) I thought the devs agreed which is why they removed stuff like Heavy Thrust or Mutilate but I guess not. It's a minor gripe in the end though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

For me, I simply can't identify too much with the PC in this game, because the plot keeps railroading you into what I consider very stupid decisions and actions.

Ah, see, I am very stupid myself so that makes it easier to identify with the WoL.

Actually it's weird, like I very much don't see my WoL as an extension of myself, but I do see him as his own character in the story, which is probably why I can't bring myself to Fantasia into another race.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Ah, see, I am very stupid myself so that makes it easier to identify with the WoL.

That, and the game also keeps assuming I'll empathize or at least sympathize with characters I utterly loathe.

Every single expansion, Endwalker included, has had at least one moment that completely jarred me out of whatever jive I had with the story and characters.

I honestly don't like Endwalker very much so far, despite some great moments.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sounds like a personal problem.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
You were determined to hate EW months before it came out, Cythereal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thundarr posted:

Yeah what is the use case for Toxikon anyway? By the numbers it looks like 1 GCD for E.Diagnosis + 1 GCD for Toxikon will do less damage than 2 GCDs of Dyskrasia, so you'd wouldn't want to E.Diagnosis simply for Addersting. Is it just to keep uptime against packs of mobs when you have to move out of PBAoE range and Phlegma is on cooldown?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah what is the use case for Toxikon anyway? By the numbers it looks like 1 GCD for E.Diagnosis + 1 GCD for Toxikon will do less damage than 2 GCDs of Dyskrasia, so you'd wouldn't want to E.Diagnosis simply for Addersting. Is it just to keep uptime against packs of mobs when you have to move out of PBAoE range and Phlegma is on cooldown?

From what I've heard from good Sage players, yeah, it's pretty much that and also to keep some single-target DPS uptime when you have to move (since it's damage neutral on a single target but doesn't have a cast time like Dosis does). It has a different role from Afflatus Misery, basically, being more about covering movement (at least in single target) than about refunding some of your damage lost to GCD healing like WHM gets.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think it's when you're pulling so many mobs at once that E.Diagnosis will crack by the time you finish a Toxikon, like E.Diagnosis > Toxikon > E.Diagnosis > repeat with oGCDs weaved in, so you can keep doing AoE damage while keeping the tank alive at the same time.

Not sure if the math actually supports that but I've been doing it and haven't had too many issues with wall to walls.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Very disappointed at the amount of Zenos Respecters I've seen in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dont have to respect his character to enjoy a good fight :colbert: