Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

Don't worry, a 100 point FOW army is extremely quick to print. 15mm models don't take a lot of space on print plates.

Yes 15mm WW2 minis are very suitable for a quick tabletop quality paintjob. Imho if you just put down some drybrushing on the uniforms, dab on some flesh colour, apply some washes and then spend some time on the bases rather than the minis, you’ll have a great looking force in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Post results!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Yes 15mm WW2 minis are very suitable for a quick tabletop quality paintjob. Imho if you just put down some drybrushing on the uniforms, dab on some flesh colour, apply some washes and then spend some time on the bases rather than the minis, you’ll have a great looking force in no time.

Contrast paints are also basically cheating on 15mm infantry models

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Contrast paints are also basically cheating on 15mm infantry models

Got a list of good contrast mixes/paint equivalents for historical uniform colors?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This one uses 28mm but it's the same idea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also prime with a flat khaki and use contrasts and inks to effectively tone and tint it.

Contrasts seem to work better as a wash+ when applied to a different color.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oh my god this is amazing thank you

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Saw this 100% pure distilled grognard post on facebook today:

grognard in a napoleonic facebook group posted:

I have been on this page for awhile now and been gaming since I was 16. I am now 70 and a retired curator of military collections and a working as a military uniform consultant for sculptors and published author on Civil War Uniforms. I prefaced what I said for one reason. I have seen a growing lack of research as to the proper (not the box art) that the soldiers wore during the time period they represent. I find the worse offenders of this being two of the major plastic makers. I do not know what has happened to researching out your project and coming up with the right dress for the period. Even to the point of a different dress for different stages of the wars. Research is a prime player in our hobby and it seems to be losing the following it once had. Now we go by what is on the box as gospel and that is where it ends. But it is not the new guys in this hobby but some of the older ones who I would not have expected it out of. One fellow told me that the Russian Cossacks wore blue uniform pants. Now this guy is a Air Force Major (that may be the problem) and you would expect more. I asked why do you say that? He replied ! Because the box showed it! Oh well you can not fix stupid. But what I am saying is stop looking at TV or the movies for your color guides. Go to the internet and research out what you are doing. I had to grab my grandson by the ears and make him look at my library to get the right information and then back that up with more research. Research that unit you are building. Find the Brigade or Division or Army. Find the quirks of the unit in it's uniform. And do not use Sharpes Rifles for anything but a good laugh at what is presented as history on TV. Anyway if your knickers go bunched up so be it. Been at this to long to think other wise.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The pants seem pretty blue to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hook that post up to my veins

Edit: even though I don’t actually bother with that degree of accuracy. I do the research and then decide what looks best

lenoon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

You can also prime with a flat khaki and use contrasts and inks to effectively tone and tint it.

Contrasts seem to work better as a wash+ when applied to a different color.
Now this is news to me and I'll have to try it out.

hesrightyouknow.jpg

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

hesrightyouknow.jpg

Please don't feed the grogs.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Noted, I will paint all of my uniforms the one standard color they were in real life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everybody knows Air Force Majors are a loving trash source for cossack pant colours anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Noted, I will paint all of my uniforms the one standard color they were in real life.

Paint your dudes black & white or shades of sepia and cite period photos as reference.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Child Abuse For Accurate Trouser Shade

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

Child Abuse For Accurate Trouser Shade
But enough about big brand clothing.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Paint your dudes black & white or shades of sepia and cite period photos as reference.

This is hilarious and I want to do it now

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Class Warcraft posted:

Ah yes, go to the internet for your research, where sizeable groups of grogs parrot the same “facts” back and forth that usually originated somewhere in the imagination of a forms poster in 1998.

Also Cossacks are one of the most wildly variable units in terms of uniform, both due to lack of standardisation and because they stole poo poo constantly from the enemy, probably including their pants.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

Ask him what colour uniform the Irish brigade in Spain wore, TIA.

Pierzak posted:

Didn't someone here post some Samurai done to look like they were from a Kurosawa movie? I remember seeing them somewhere and being blown away by how good it looked.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

quote:

And do not use Sharpes Rifles for anything but a good laugh at what is presented as history on TV

You mean it's not a documentary? :psyduck:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JcDent posted:

You mean it's not a documentary? :psyduck:

I'm sure they just mean that the TV show spiced up some stories and missed a few characters from Sharpe in real life history.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pierzak posted:

Several years ago someone did a demo game based on the movie Nosferatu in black and white:

Link.

I've also seen WWI minis done like this, but can't find pics quickly.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Every time I start a new Bolt Action army and they get to the zenithal stage, I always tell myself I should leave them like that for a B&W army.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everybody knows Air Force Majors are loving trash.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

Several years ago someone did a demo game based on the movie Nosferatu in black and white:

Link.

I've also seen WWI minis done like this, but can't find pics quickly.

Yeah I tried that nosferatu game at a con many years ago, it was amazing.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I feel like the point of doing all that research is also so you can make an informed decision about how to paint your little mans.

Imagine how embarrassing it is to use Russians equipped with British Brown Bess muskets when playing before the Russians had access to those if you do it by mistake?? We have a club member who will never stop hearing about Bessgate.

Using British tanks painted in Caunter camouflage for the battle of Gazala because it is the coolest thing ever, but you know it’s wrong because you bought all of those spiral bound books on British tank camouflage with handmade paint swatches from the author that still accepts payment by mailing cash in an envelope. That’s just a choice to be respected!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zokie posted:

I feel like the point of doing all that research is also so you can make an informed decision about how to paint your little mans.

Imagine how embarrassing it is to use Russians equipped with British Brown Bess muskets when playing before the Russians had access to those if you do it by mistake?? We have a club member who will never stop hearing about Bessgate.

Using British tanks painted in Caunter camouflage for the battle of Gazala because it is the coolest thing ever, but you know it’s wrong because you bought all of those spiral bound books on British tank camouflage with handmade paint swatches from the author that still accepts payment by mailing cash in an envelope. That’s just a choice to be respected!

This but unironically

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

For my part, it continues to be a wonder to me that someone can possess enough imagination to look at a couple dozen identical toys mounted atop an unchanging rectangle of terrain and see a Napoleonic battalion, but be unable to move past the odd mispainted epaulette.

Why is it that tabletop gaming, a hobby absolutely chock full of abstraction, seems to cultivate a community utterly devoted to simulation?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Class Warcraft posted:

For my part, it continues to be a wonder to me that someone can possess enough imagination to look at a couple dozen identical toys mounted atop an unchanging rectangle of terrain and see a Napoleonic battalion, but be unable to move past the odd mispainted epaulette.

Why is it that tabletop gaming, a hobby absolutely chock full of abstraction, seems to cultivate a community utterly devoted to simulation?

If I don't uphold absurd standards, how will I feel superior to others?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

zokie posted:

I just got a 1/2 dozen vehicles for a Bolt Action army for Libya/Greece/Crete - I need that book. I can't find out what the trucks/ Bren Gun Carriers and tanks used in Greece were painted. The 1 or 2 movies I can find don't really show them. The German photo's of destroyed tanks inevitably don't show much beyond it being a pale sandstone and blacked metal.

Also, can someone explain how Caunter camouflage was supposed to work? Was the idea that the enemy would be so distracted by the colour scheme that they couldn't actually identify the tank they were shooting at?

"What tank is that Fritz? I can't tell, but it can't be a tank because whoever saw a blue tank with green go faster stripes on it"?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It’s meant to break up the silhouette of the vehicle at a distance and make it hard to identify, rather than invisible.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yeah, from my understanding camouflage is usually designed to work so that a scout scanning the horizon with binoculars is less likely to spot your tank and call in dive bombers. Once combat has begun, no camo pattern will save you.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
The author is Mike Starmer, I got all of the books :agesilaus:

The authors email can be found here

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This but unironically

Yes absolutely. I feel like this with the victrix old guard I’m chewing through. Yes the grenadiers and chasseurs had slightly different hats. No I am not getting another box of 60 virtually identical guys to the 60 I’m slowly and painfully painting so that I have perfectly accurate models. I’ll just paint the top of the epaulettes green or red.

Same with my Soviets as well, I did the research and yes you probably didn’t often have female soldiers organically scattered through a standard platoon based on which models look best for each army list choice. But Svetlana Alexeivich’s book made me weep buckets and Annie Norman is generally great, so these particular Soviets are.

This level of grog research never seems to apply to the wehraboos as well, I’ve had several conversations along the lines of well that looks like a t34 model 1941 and this game is set in 43 with guys who play SS divisions as hard bastard ultra warriors rather than mewling war criminal pieces of poo poo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For me the line goes between being hard on myself for painting my first Nappy french jackets in a much too bright blue, and being hard on others for painting their Nappy french jackets in a much too bright blue.

The second we might do in jest at the club, but typically only after that person has identified the issue themself and told everyone. Like Bessgate. After all, if you're a bunch of dudes doing separate armies you'll quite quickly reach a point where you have done waaaaay more research into your army than your clubmates have, so the one that'll notice any mistakes will be you. I have no idea if, say, a Russian battalion is deployed on the table with an officer with the wrong epaulette crescents for that specific division or whatever. But I can spot a dodgy Vistula legion sculpt or paint job after painting and reading a lot on them myself.

There's also a line between going into groggy button counter discussions when the OP asks for help or advice, and to go into groggy button counter discussions when the OP just wants to show everyone the cool toys they've just painted up and enjoy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This has been beaten to death in this thread before, but the idea that there is a "correct" color to paint any historical uniform or vehicle is daft.

For one, colors would vary immensely depending on the time and location of their production, manufacturing methods differed slightly, the same dye was not always used, things would quickly be weathered in different ways, and so on. Someone dig up wehrmacht-jacket-rainbow.jpg. And manufacturing methods were probably even more standardized in the 20th century than they were in Napoleonic times.

Second, we are not recreating the thing in our miniatures. We are painting a stylized, miniature artwork version of the thing. We deliberately exaggerate features and colors, because the goal is never to create Thing But Small, because this is impossible, and even if it was possible, it would not look good. A 15mm pewter model on a dining room table does not interact with light and it's environment in the same way that a real human person wearing clothes and equipment in real sunlight does.

Finally... maybe you don't want to go for a hyper realistic representation of the thing. Maybe you are going for something else stylistically - Maybe you want to exaggerate the colors and make them more vibrant, or maybe you want to do something weird like that black and white WW1 table.

Research is part of the fun, but someone who thinks that there is one "right" answer to these questions and berates others for getting them "wrong" is just a dick who doesn't understand what they are doing when painting on a fundamental level.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Small aside but a T-34 model 1941 in 1943 is not impossible :shrug:.

The real answer is play what makes you happy and enjoy it for what it is, a game to spend your time on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Comstar posted:

I just got a 1/2 dozen vehicles for a Bolt Action army for Libya/Greece/Crete - I need that book. I can't find out what the trucks/ Bren Gun Carriers and tanks used in Greece were painted. The 1 or 2 movies I can find don't really show them. The German photo's of destroyed tanks inevitably don't show much beyond it being a pale sandstone and blacked metal.

Also, can someone explain how Caunter camouflage was supposed to work? Was the idea that the enemy would be so distracted by the colour scheme that they couldn't actually identify the tank they were shooting at?

"What tank is that Fritz? I can't tell, but it can't be a tank because whoever saw a blue tank with green go faster stripes on it"?
Funnily enough the blue was caused by the Matilda II in the IWN in London being painted wrong by soneone and then everyone using that as their reference for decades. It was actually two green tones placed together on a sand base to gently caress with the light/dark perception and make it hard to judge range once you'd even managed to spot it.

Pink would probably have been a better choice TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think a better example than the feldgrau discussion is, say, the case of Carabiniers-a-cheval in the French army. They are super stylish heavy cavalry that are fun to paint, and they are a bit snowflakey but not Guard, with only two regiments created, so lots and lots of people like to paint them for their French napoleonic armies.

Just looking at them makes me want to order them but I have way too much cavalry to paint already.

That said, these regiments were previously thought to have switched from the earlier white jackets to a blue jacket when Napoleon was kicked out the first time, so every Waterloo-centric gamer would paint them up with light blue jackets. Because there were some books that said so, and they wore blue jackets in the later 2nd Empire so people just assumed they switched at that time. So the "common wisdom" in the hobby said that if you want to do Waterloo, you need to do your carabiniers with blue jackets instead of white, it was a whole big thing for grognards to gleefully point out when they saw it. But well, turned out that a guy who loves archival research and writing books about them actually went to check their regimental records, and there were no blue jackets mentioned at all in the inspections at the time. They didn't even buy any blue cloth to make said jackets until much later, in the 2nd Empire, where they obviously had switched to blue jackets. So all evidence says they wore white jackets for Waterloo as well.

So in this case, it's quite clear that when a beginner asks about the jackets, you can say that no, don't do the blue jackets. There's no reason ever to do blue jackets if you're starting out. However, if you meet a napoleonic veteran who has painted their carabiniers with blue jackets, there's no reason to be an rear end about it. It was the perceived view that was spread at the time they painted them. I might personally go back and repaint my minis when I find such mistakes, but it's insane to expect others to do it. However, if said veteran tries to convince a beginner to paint the jackets blue, you can courteously get involved in the conversation and mention that more modern research has debunked the infamous Waterloo jacket swap.

So long story short, you want to start a French Napoleonic army and paint some awesome cool carabiniers and excitedly make horse noises while charging around with a heavy cavalry brigade.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 15, 2021