Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

replicant is a remake of the OG, automata is the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

obi_ant posted:

What is up with the Nier games? Apparently one of them is sort of like a hybrid re-make prequel? The other is just the second game?

The first Nier was originally released in two forms, Replicant and Gestalt. Replicant featured a "brother" protagonist, and Gestalt a "father" protagonist. Only Gestalt had a Western release, but the recent remaster is of Replicant. That remaster also has some minor new content, including an additional ending.

NieR: Automata is the second game, but it takes place millennia in the future with fairly minimal direct ties to the first game and is telling a different stories. Going into the nature of those ties would kind of spoil both games, so I won't. They're both extremely good with excellent stories and music, you should play them.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
you have to beat each Nier like 8 times to get to the one part of the story that everyone likes. Don't bother!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I never liked the way it was handled in OG Nier but the multiple playthroughs are fine and outright really cool in Automata imo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there are 3 niers, the ps3 remake, the ps4 sequel and final fantasy xiv crossover which is all canon to the lore.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I never liked the way it was handled in OG Nier but the multiple playthroughs are fine and outright really cool in Automata imo

Same. But even though the repetition is absolute bullshit in the NieR remake, the new ending is fuckin great.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I wish I had a ball of psychic energy to roll around on like Raz does. :smith:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bows1 posted:

you have to beat each Nier like 8 times to get to the one part of the story that everyone likes. Don't bother!

I’m gonna beat your posts 8 times and still won’t find a part anyone likes!!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

What is up with the Nier games? Apparently one of them is sort of like a hybrid re-make prequel? The other is just the second game?

Replicant is the remake-ish of the PS3 game Nier. Automata is the sequel to Nier/Nier Replicant and was the one that got recent accolades.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1471133041560993797

I'm glad because PS4 is the way I'll be playing it since I haven't been able to get a PS5 and probably won't by February either.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I missed discussion when the PS+ games got announced this month, any worth a drat?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Toebone posted:

I missed discussion when the PS+ games got announced this month, any worth a drat?

Mortal Shell is theoretically interesting but I haven't picked it back up after the first session, turns out dark souls is not that fun without the estus flask

Lego DC Supervillains is probably a good light/kids game

Godfall is not only a bad game but it's half of the bad game

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I got Godfall and Greedfall mixed up, yet again. :D

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

Too many G***dfall games. What's next, Guildfall? Goldfall?!?! What a mess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Godfalls

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

And both have been PS+ titles!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Clearly the game that lets me play as a bi lady with a tricorn hat and a blunderbuss is the superior one. :hmmyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Clearly the game that lets me play as a bi lady with a tricorn hat and a blunderbuss is the superior one. :hmmyes:

Bloodborne?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The hunter does not desire the touch of flesh unless it is against steel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lmao

i love this thread

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
My PS4 seems like it's bricked. It starts in Safe Mode and prompts "Checking the System Storage Status...", then I get "cannot start the PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 using the USB cable, and then press the PS Button". I do that and get "Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation for version 9.03 or later. You can download the update file for reinstallation from playstation.com".

I installed the update file on a properly formatted USB stick and tried booting it in safe mode & reinstalling from flash drive. Still doesn't work. Any ideas?

e: tried entering safe mode and updating via internet. It downloads the update and installs then reboots, but get the same messages once it starts up.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 17, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry to ask the obvious but have you checked the file structure on the USB drive is exactly right? I was having trouble for ages reinstalling my PS4 OS and then I realised the folder structure on the drive wasn’t correct.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Yeah, I made sure I followed the structure on the playstation site (PS4 -> UPDATE folders).

e: tried entering safe mode and updating via internet. It downloads the update and installs then reboots, but get the same messages once it starts up.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 17, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hmmm… any chance you have another laptop drive you could try? swapping out the internal is easy enough.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

No, but my next step is buying one and swapping them I guess.

e: screw it, feeling impatient and if i swap the harddrive I lose everything anyway, will probably just wipe the hard drive and see if i can clean install

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 17, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It sounds like your HD is bad. The fact that the PS4 is trying to update/install the OS and failing points towards the HD.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

I did a wipe and it's working fine now. Glad I had all my stuff saved to an external.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Typing on the controller isn't great and I've never gotten a handle on swiping around using the touchpad to do it. Has anyone used one of those chatpad accessories before? And have any recommendations on which one to get too?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Typing on the controller isn't great and I've never gotten a handle on swiping around using the touchpad to do it. Has anyone used one of those chatpad accessories before? And have any recommendations on which one to get too?

I had one for the x box 360 and it never left the controller once I plugged it in. Even if the game you're on right now doesn't have chat support like that, being able to type like that hugely improves streaming service search menus

e I don't think you can bind commands to it in games that have way too many commands (elite: dangerous), but it's worth trying that too

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RareAcumen posted:

Have you tried the motion based typing? It’s extremely fast and accurate for me. I’ve been using it since the PS4 launched and I don’t even like motion controls like that in any games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Motion typing is the best console text input since the Beyond Good and Evil text spiral

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Soooo, does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type, Amazon's got like 20 different brands of the things.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Soooo, does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type, Amazon's got like 20 different brands of the things.

Not besides picking up the one that has better reviews I guess. I have one for my 360 (but the official Microsoft one) and was absolutely fantastic. It added extra weight but I liked to have more grip like, you could grab around the keyboard with one hand and mash the face buttons with the other for these loving terrible QTEs of the era.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Any experience with House Flipper or Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, specifically on PS4?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just gonna pop into this thread to ask a question, one I'm not sure exactly where it goes but it's PS4 related so gently caress it. I have a Fosmon 5x1 HDMI switch that I have all my game consoles connected to, which then gets piped to a PC monitor. All my game consoles (Switch, Wii U, laptop, etc.) work with it except my PS4, which has a problem where the switch keeps randomly switching on and off of the PS4's HDMI slot, even when the PS4 is not on. It makes the switch unusable when the PS4 is connected. The PS4 works fine connected to the monitor's HDMI directly, but the monitor only has one HDMI port and manually swapping the cables is exactly what I bought the switch to avoid. The weird thing is the problem is intermittent; it doesn't happen all the time, but suddenly my monitor will start blanking out every ten seconds or so.

I'm fine if the answer is "get a new HDMI switch" but I'd like some recommendations for ones that work with the PS4 specifically so this doesn't happen again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is HDMI CEC turned on or off on the PS4? Some switchers hate it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I just remembered this (you gotta click through) which is still the hardest I've ever laughed at a post on this forum I think

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I just remembered this (you gotta click through) which is still the hardest I've ever laughed at a post on this forum I think

Classic poo poo

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Can anyone a bit savvier than me at when you buy stuff advise whether now is a good time to grab a second-hand PS4 slim or should I wait until the new year? Seems that the price has increased compared to a month ago due to crimbo but could just be me? Also if any UK goons know what sort of price in GBP is a good deal that’d be much appreciated. On a bit of a budget with this but really want to play FF14 & Monster Hunter World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PS4’s are gonna hold their value until PS5’s become more available, which won’t happen until summer 2022 at the earliest but more likely Holiday 2022. If you’re jonesing to game I would secure a PS4 or a PS4Pro now and if you’re savvy enough you could probably sell it for what you paid for it by the end of the summer and get a PS5 for Christmas.

But yeah I would buy one sooner rather than later in case there’s another COVID outbreak and the chip shortages get pushed back another 6 months.