Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The world might be terrible but apparently god spent all the sunset budget on teesside today.

That's a very nice sunset. :sun:

Is that the Teesside Refinery in the background or something else?

Julio Cruz posted:

it's a god drat arms race
:golfclap:

e: Chemical Engineering Science started in 1951

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That's a very nice sunset. :sun:

Is that the Teesside Refinery in the background or something else?

Wilton site, so a bunch of things but probably mostly the chemical works and waste management buildings.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 14, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Julio Cruz posted:

it's a god drat arms race

:vince:

E oh yeah that's a really nice picture Owlie, there's something about natural beauty juxtaposed with heavy industry that I find really appealing

E E

like this album cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz3JVZbmoCg

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 14, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It's cheating to use a century of industrial-pollution-filled-smog to make your sunsets look prettier, you're meant to use diesel fumes like the rest of us. Or whatever the gently caress Port Talbot does.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If you take a picture of the Middlesbrough skyline there's inevitably going to be a chemical plant in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not true if you stand in the chemical plant and face west :v:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

keep punching joe posted:

You know what is reminiscent of Nazi Germany, changing the law so you can remove people's citizenship based on ethnicity.

Also changing the law so if the courts make a judgement the government don't like they can just "lol nope" it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Comrade Fakename posted:

If you take a picture of the Middlesbrough skyline there's inevitably going to be a chemical plant in it.

I stayed in Middlesborough for work recently and was amazed at how early the pubs got busy. 4pm weekdays and the places were PACKED. Bouncers on the doors, karaoke belting out, people fighting and boking in gutters. I admired their commitment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A man in whitby staggered out of the pub while being wrestled by another man and vomited on my shoes the other week, it was half past two on a weekday afternoon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fully boostered AND I got to tell off some rear end in a top hat who was hassling the volunteers.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

I stayed in Middlesborough for work recently and was amazed at how early the pubs got busy. 4pm weekdays and the places were PACKED. Bouncers on the doors, karaoke belting out, people fighting and boking in gutters. I admired their commitment.

What else are you going to do? Like, there's a reason you can get a 2 bedroom flat less than 30 minutes walk from the town centre for £40k. It's the very definition of post-industrial decary.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Meeting of the Worshipful Company of Cunts is in session. Boris will probably survive... but maybe not?

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1470808821199163400

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hope it's the Tory version of that struggle session where the Labour cunts tried to break Corbyn as a person, because Johnson doesn't have the emotional fortitude to withstand that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really? I honestly don't know if he is capable of experiencing self doubt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Johnson has self-doubt in spades. It's why he desperately tries to make everyone like him. He's not like Trump whose ego is so superdense that it implodes the universe around him and dilates time. Johnson is very much someone who can't handle the idea people don't like him and does anything he can to avoid that reality.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Post person attempts to deliver letter to Boris' house:

https://twitter.com/tomruzyllo/status/1470453004063154188?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Johnson has self-doubt in spades. It's why he desperately tries to make everyone like him. He's not like Trump whose ego is so superdense that it implodes the universe around him and dilates time. Johnson is very much someone who can't handle the idea people don't like him and does anything he can to avoid that reality.

Ehh I'm not so sure, "Boris" as we plebs see him is a character being played by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, so self doubt wouldn't be part of the character.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Ehh I'm not so sure, "Boris" as we plebs see him is a character being played by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, so self doubt wouldn't be part of the character.

Yes but the character is meant to be a loveable oaf, because who could hate a bumbling clown? Turns out a lot of people when the clown is honking his nose while people die miserable and alone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

there's something about natural beauty juxtaposed with heavy industry that I find really appealing
:same:
I hope the green revolution gets us some neat industrial architecture. The big wind farms are neat, but not as impressive as an ammonia plant aesthetically.

My dogs are barking again.

Is 'family values' in reference to Johnson's n-number of children and divorces and adulterings and then rules lawyering his way into a Catholic wedding, or is it a dig at Corbyn like the 'not proud of place' bit?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Listening to the debate in the Commons about the new Covid restrictions, and some Tory MP mentioned "a hundred thousand ghost children".

Not really sure what she meant but sounds metal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why boris has so many, he's trying to make a ghost army like lord of the rings.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to be a bit harder in the future for him to use the defence that he’s too thick to know what he’s saying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, if anything joining gbnews only adds more support to that idea :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lungboy posted:

Also changing the law so if the courts make a judgement the government don't like they can just "lol nope" it.

Encouraging to see wide cross-party support for the Behebung der Not von Volk und Reich Bill, 2022.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Since there was chat about David Baddiel earlier, I forgot that he showed support for Count Dankula over his hilarious teaching the dog to do a Nazi salute & asking if it wants to gas the Jews.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well free speech is really important you know

unless of course you're talking about whether Palestinians should have rights, actually

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I forgot that he showed support for Count Dankula
That's entirely unsurprising
https://twitter.com/YamoPorrits/status/1467904484470894603

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
not sure I agree with JC's decision here.

https://twitter.com/MirrorBreaking_/status/1470828562173280263?s=20

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470825725305442306

Looks like someone wants Cresida dick out too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm sure I do. Everyone should take vaccines, but nobody should be forced to. Especially since it does sweet gently caress all to limit transmission.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheRat posted:

Especially since it does sweet gently caress all to limit transmission.

Hasn't that been debunked, rebunked and debunked again already?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

stev posted:

That's been said is the reason why omicron is going ballistic in Norway atm at least.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

It increases your resistance to developing COVID so by definition reduces transmission because the virus has to be transmitted TO someone ergo more immunity means less transmission (in comparable conditions)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

TheRat posted:

I'm sure I do. Everyone should take vaccines, but nobody should be forced to. Especially since it does sweet gently caress all to limit transmission.

It makes sense for NHS workers, I have no idea why someone working for the NHS would'nt be vaccinated by now.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like why would you be an NHS worker and not want to be vaccinated, afraid of medicines?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If you want to work in medicine you need to be vaccinated unless you cannot be, full stop

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Bollocks. It doesn't *stop* it, but it greatly attenuates it not only through prevention (the virus just never gets a chance to replicate) and neutralisation (the replication of the virus is slowed), but also by by reducing the severity and longevity of symptoms like coughing and sneezing that greatly increase the amount of virus you shed and the distance it travels.

This is yet another of those antivax wedge issue factoids that has about as much authority as "Well people sometimes die in car crashes even though they're wearing seatbelts so there's no point in wearing them".

Also all vaccines absolutely should be compulsory to everyone without a valid medical reason not to take it, because there is literally no argument to not take it that doesn't boil down to "gently caress you, got mine".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Like why would you be an NHS worker and not want to be vaccinated, afraid of medicines?

In the US at least, a distressing number of medical staff are antivax and also trying to flog you loving magic snake oil to cure your cancer or whatever. I don't know how universal that is but apparently you can work in a medical field and still basically not understand medicine.

The only excuse I can think of for not making it mandatory is because firing the staff that won't do it would kill more people than it would help.

Which, I mean, is technically a sort of collective bargaining but it's still loving dumb.

I would have to assume that corbyn is just doing his usual dislike for laws mandating things schtick, or possibly he has been listening to piers too much.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does NHS staff just cover medical professionals or everyone employed by it? Because there are plenty for people who just work for the NHS to put food on the table like everyone else, and there's no prerequisite that you not be an utter dickhead to work for it.