Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rian Johnson mentioned in a video he did that Apple refuses to allow villains to use their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Good thing I keep an Android around to do all my criming

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Random Stranger posted:

It's trademark law.

It's really not trademark law itself, it's just aversion to litigation. Trademark law does not give you control in how your brand is represented. It doesn't mean that someone has to get your permission before they put your product in a film. They only need to do that if there's some substantial risk that the viewer of the film would associate the film with the trademark, like in this case if there's a likelihood of confusion in the minds of the viewers as to the source of the good. I mean, it's not like every film that shows a car has to get approval from the maker of the car.

A bunch of years ago, Caterpillar sued Disney for trademark infringement based on eight minutes in the film George of the Jungle 2 because the villain's henchmen were driving around on Caterpillar bulldozers. No trademark infringement there whatsoever, and Caterpillar lost soundly.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Dec 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fake brands can make things interesting when used consistently because you can get away with so much more.

Ducktales reboot comes to mind with Waddle introduced as basically the Apple/Google equivalent complete with the rear end in a top hat techbro villain CEO, and with making the products you'd expect to see the Apple logo on, it becomes an interesting device since main characters will use their phones and tablets in situations that you wouldn't think twice about, but some characters using them ends up as foreshadowing a connection to Waddle who may have supplied them with the hardware.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

It's really not trademark law itself, it's just aversion to litigation. Trademark law does not give you control in how your brand is represented. It doesn't mean that someone has to get your permission before they put your product in a film. They only need to do that if there's some substantial risk that the viewer of the film would associate the film with the trademark, like in this case if there's a likelihood of confusion in the minds of the viewers as to the source of the good. I mean, it's not like every film that shows a car has to get approval from the maker of the car.

A bunch of years ago, Caterpillar sued Disney for trademark infringement based on eight minutes in the film George of the Jungle 2 because the villain's henchmen were driving around on Caterpillar bulldozers. No trademark infringement there whatsoever, and Caterpillar lost soundly.

A tricky case. On the one hand, having a product appear in George of the Jungle 2 should definitely be considered an actionable injury. On the other hand, in order to prove damages you have to establish that anyone saw George of the Jungle 2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know anything about George of the Jungle 2 or why it's suppposed to be so objectionable but I guess that proves the point

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Something being legal is no guarantee that you won't get sued for it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Random Stranger posted:

It's trademark law. Let's pretend for a moment that you have a small business making cookies. Would you be happy if a television show came along and did an episode where minhd's cookies give everybody food poisoning and they keep talking about how your cookies are awful and made everybody puke?

Having a trademark gives you a lot of control in how your brand is represented. People talking about their actual experiences aren't affected (though that hasn't stopped large companies from threatening legal action against people who talk poo poo about them), but something like a television production is. If Peloton was bothered by how their product would be shown on HBO, then that guy would be riding a Super Cycle or something like that. This why a lot of programs cover up logos or use fake brands. There's a lot of money in product placement, though, so these days you get a lot more real products turning up on shows.

Was it 24 where all the good guys used Apple products and you knew someone was a villain because they had a non-branded, clearly Android phone?

i wanna see a tv series from a universe where this insane, strained and misapplied interpretation of trademark law held true lmao

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Maybe it's effective marketing but there's a ton of "this is FOR MEN" ad copy for this $200 pepper mill. Look at the muscled, tattooed forearm holding this bad boy!

https://mannkitchen.com/products/the-original-pepper-cannon-pepper-mill

"Decrease the coarseness and crank less if you can't handle the full power."

"Aerospace-grade materials."

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Dec 13, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
it doesn't even have picatinny rails

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Nitrox posted:

That entire franchise caters to the poorest people, and most locations are in very bad neighborhoods to begin with. No one would bat an eye

lol what the gently caress

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That website is hilarious

SO MUCH PEPPER COMING OUT, BOYS. TRY NOT TO GET ANY IN YOUR DINNER COMPANION'S EYES, ALRIGHT?

BUY OUR PEPPER CANOON SO YOU CAN HAVE THREE BALLS TOO!!!
(They're cast iron, so you never have to wash them)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Random Stranger posted:

It's trademark law. Let's pretend for a moment that you have a small business making cookies. Would you be happy if a television show came along and did an episode where minhd's cookies give everybody food poisoning and they keep talking about how your cookies are awful and made everybody puke?

No, but so what?

Plenty of things that make people unhappy are nonetheless legal.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

No, but so what?

your posts for example

i'm sorry

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is awful, but more awful is what came to mind upon seeing just the product name: "Is this that product some dude supposedly invented for gluing labia closed during one's period?"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Maybe it's effective marketing but there's a ton of "this is FOR MEN" ad copy for this $200 pepper mill. Look at the muscled, tattooed forearm holding this bad boy!

https://mannkitchen.com/products/the-original-pepper-cannon-pepper-mill

"Decrease the coarseness and crank less if you can't handle the full power."

"Aerospace-grade materials."

This reminds me of how I had to explain to my wife why I was cackling over seeing DUKE CANNON merchandise in a store the other day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hirayuki posted:

"Is this that product some dude supposedly invented for gluing labia closed during one's period?"

:yikes:

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
https://twitter.com/DewEnjoyer/status/1470085211241254918

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some of that duke Cannon poo poo actually smells pretty good

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It was called Mensez, and the dude apparently gave up on the joke some years back. A little more here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

steinrokkan posted:

it doesn't even have picatinny rails

Yeah, but its black so its TACTICAL!

On the other hand, it only hold a HALF CUP of pepper? Thats all?
Thats like having only a 10 shot magazine on your AR.

Fuckin sissy rear end pepper shaker. Yup, I said SHAKER.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Man, my mom just glued bows on my head with toothpaste.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

username/post combo of the day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I worked with one mom who would aggressively decorate her baby, ears were pierced and everything. I swear she'd just drag a hairclip along this poor bald baby's scalp until it affixed to flesh.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

No, but so what?

If you have enough money you can sue other people to waste their time rather than win. That's what trademark bullying is about : wasting enough studios time and money that they all take care to avoid associating your product with something bad.

HBO is a particularly interesting episode because they spent hundreds of thousands defending against spurious lawsuits from a coal baron John Oliver criticized, the had Oliver make an elaborate song and dance routine accusing the baron of stuffing puppies into rocket ships and firing them into the sun. They've apparently have made screwing with big businesses part of their brand identity?? Go figure.

Yeah that's not a good reason to glue labia shut smdh

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Dec 14, 2021

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah that's not a good reason to glue labia shut smdh
Pray tell, what is a good reason to glue labia shut?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
FTM gender confirmation surgery

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hilarious prank

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
edit- not quite the same, never mind

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

Hilarious prank

laffo honey guess what

no guess

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keeping out the bathwater.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And keeping in the air! Don't wanna drown

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aerodynamics

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Keep the centipedes in.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sealing your children inside so you cannot be overthrown.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

El Fideo posted:

Keep the centipedes in.
:hmmyes:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
When I was going to high school in a 80+% Latino town, I saw kids doing this kinda thing every single day at lunch. :shrug: Granted, this was in California, not in Texas (where Dickey's is headquartered), but come on, guys.

https://twitter.com/Dickeys/status/1471150592479449095

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tostilocos

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Read After Burning posted:

When I was going to high school in a 80+% Latino town, I saw kids doing this kinda thing every single day at lunch. :shrug: Granted, this was in California, not in Texas (where Dickey's is headquartered), but come on, guys.

https://twitter.com/Dickeys/status/1471150592479449095

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tostilocos

Maybe I'm being dumb and/or blind, but what's weird about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What exactly is dumb about a restaurant with Texas in its name serving frito pie a tex mex dish that’s been popular since world war 2?