Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sure okay posted:

Spoiler maybe?

I don't even know what everyone is waiting for, but im glad to be a part of the Argos tower

that location is where this expansion's big world fate boss spawns. The equivalent of like ixion or odin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sure okay posted:

I don't even know what everyone is waiting for, but im glad to be a part of the Argos tower
there's a boss fate that spawns there, you get 2/4/6 bolts from it for bronze/silver/gold, can trade 12 for the level checker mount from the patch notes

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I started in the ARR beta as a Monk, switched to Summoner at some point in the 2.X patches, took a small break during 3.1 and completely forgot how to play Summoner and switched to Bard which has been my main ever since. It did end up sharing the spot with Red Mage and Gunbreaker after finishing 5.0 though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've killed Chi three times. I have eight bolts.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

hazardousmouse posted:

People sitting for hours in Chi party finders called the "hellwait" or "the waiting room" really fuckin weird me out. You'll get that poo poo easily, stop abusing yourselves

I took advantage of the rush and knocked out my last 20 fates pretty quickly. Lotta cool glams in that area though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In my case I'm pretty much just staying there while doing other stuff. That said the random spawn timers are a bit dumb even if it's so people don't keep killing the boss at ungodly hourse, Instance 1 on Moogle respawned way faster than Instance 3 so a lot of people missed it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Completely unrelated to anything current but I decided to start doing command missions so I can finally become a Flame Captain, 7 years late. I swear they picked the most loving sadistic dungeon choices possible for command missions. The loving goblin tank boss at the end of Brayflox Hard is one of the most difficulty loving things I've ever done in this game, trying to push away all the bombs by myself then having to DPS down the big bomb, I must have died like 20 times attempting it.

I'm currently in Wanderer's Palace (Hard) where final boss Dooms you and you need to be healed to full to remove it. Guess what my idiot squadron healer does NOT do.

I recommend not doing the level 50 command missions. You just need to do 5 different ones, and that can be the first four and Aurum Vale.

After that, the only reason to use them is for levelling alt DPS jobs, and the level 50 dungeons are bad for that because they give low XP.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I beat em all cause I wanted those sweet sweet check marks saying I did.
Wanderers hard did require some specific shenanigans to win the final boss.
Had to position the party 90° away from me so I could bait the aoes. Had to stay at a specific range for some reason or another. Had to command them to move or attack at specific times. It was very fiddly.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I recommend not doing the level 50 command missions. You just need to do 5 different ones, and that can be the first four and Aurum Vale.

After that, the only reason to use them is for levelling alt DPS jobs, and the level 50 dungeons are bad for that because they give low XP.

If you do ten, then you get the /squat emote.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hazardousmouse posted:

People sitting for hours in Chi party finders called the "hellwait" or "the waiting room" really fuckin weird me out. You'll get that poo poo easily, stop abusing yourselves

The problem is it's probably gonna be quite a while before it gets to the point where the boss will spawn and then everyone will wait while a call is sent out so everyone interested can come kill it. Right now there's three separate instances of that zone, and the spawn is different on all of them. And there's only so much room for an instance so even if folks did wait and a call went out, the instance would fill up and then folks wouldn't be able to get in. So now everyone has resorted to just camping and killing it the moment it spawns. I almost think it would've been better to hold off even allowing those two bosses to spawn at all until after things have died down a lot. It also kind of sucks there's a huge segment of the playerbase that is in the game but effectively doing nothing but AFKing on a platform while thousands of players are struggling to get in.

Anyway I have 6 bolts, I just need one more kill.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I need to finish EW so I can get ready for the big FATEs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

How Wonderful! posted:

Whoa, I'm trans too (my av maybe tipped this off) and that angle didn't occur to me, but I'm sure it had some background role in how unnerving and unsettling I found it. That's a good read-- I like the duty but I think it does speak to the respective positions of the writers/scenario designers that that the existential griminess of the situation is less played up than the immediate urgency and desperation of suddenly being that helpless.
Going to nth finding that whole scene unsettling as someone who is trans. Plz do not force me into a body that's not my own it be rude af :mad:

Harrow posted:

During some of the more action-packed Endwalker scenes I was thinking about how my WoL has come a long way from the nerdy bookworm Arcanist he started as, so I want to ask: what has been your progression of main job since you started FFXIV, and do you think about that as an in-story element at all or not?
Started as DRG, switched to MCH the moment I hit HW and haven't looked back. Guess my WoL is all about the weapons of the proletariat (just ignore all the fancy DRG jumping :v:).

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Harrow posted:

(approx. level 88 spoilers) In general I think it was fun how G'raha got to be his all-rounder Trust self in cutscenes throughout Endwalker.

(additional level 89 spoilers) which is also paid off by him being the fill in the party to account for whatever job you have in the 89 trial. I had literally just been thinking "huh, it'll be annoying to level the trusts later since there's seven, and it's weird there's only one all-rounder..." during the preceding dungeon, completely missing the INCREDIBLY obvious payoff to the Scion party composition

re: classes: I came into FFXIV knowing only that summons were nebulously evil and there were beast tribes, so from the get-go I thought of my WoL as a hroth SMN (played as a blue roe till I got the ARR fantasia and bought ShB) for maximum weirdness, and I gradually added paladin onto that as it became increasingly clear that 1) the game kind of wants you to be a tank (any class that lets you Do That in your first susano-o fight is clearly the right class imo) and 2) in-universe the Scions are almost comically squishy. whole party of reedy-rear end nerds. even alisaie is fundamentally a nerd with jock tendencies.

this has all worked out perfectly; hitting 90 SMN in endwalker felt like a very full circle moment, going from constantly fighting primals as the biggest threat around to harnessing them as a weapon against all the Big poo poo going down in EW. this has also worked out great in my own weird head because after idly thinking in queue about how the heck using zantetsuken as a paladin weapon is even supposed to work, I've concluded the glam is simply an egi or demi-primal.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Credits are rolling, what a ride.

I do wish that the dead/dying civilizations you met were actually physically there and really were the last of their kind. They still did the job but personally it would've hit deeper to me if they weren't just simulations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Eimi posted:

I dunno, with as cool as the 83 solo duty was, it was also extremely horrifying. Maybe just because I am trans and the body you are put in, while fully covered, uses male animations, it made it extremely horrifying and such a violation that I kind of hated that it doesn't faction in how you can treat him later on. Probably the single most disturbing thing that happens to your character in this game, and I hate that it's just forgotten.

This is a really interesting and insightful perspective and I appreciate your post. Definitely makes me think about this part more.

KoB
May 1, 2009

:sickos:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I do wish that the dead/dying civilizations you met were actually physically there and really were the last of their kind. They still did the job but personally it would've hit deeper to me if they weren't just simulations.

Have I got some good news for you!

Talk to them after the MSQ. The implications are...intriguing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have not even opened Miner since the expansion started and I am already level 81 in it by literally just turning in whatever loose minerals I have in my inventory whenever they're the request of the day, maybe i'll just passively level that lol

For some reason I have a lot of miner stuff but not botanist.... I guess these are all from the time I was getting zonureskin maps and they were in mining nodes...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tank players, please tell me about your favorite tank job (that isn't Gunbreaker). Gunbreaker's my main and I absolutely love it but it's also the only tank I've played past like level 30 so I think it'd be fun to level another just for the hell of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

While I'm glad I didn't spoil myself, a part of me wishes I didn't have to pick my jaw up off the ground when this happened so I could grab how will this scene came out even if you're a lalafel.

Fake edit: yes I know I can go back and rewatch these scenes or redo the duty, but I'm a stubborn enough grog to have arbitrary standards like never re-watching a scene with my character.

Fake edit2: thinking about it, one thing that would get me to check out NG+ is if they added alternative endings you could access like in Chrono Trigger.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

rewatching cutscenes to refresh my understanding as I do mindless data entry as I get hype for the final zone tonight and so much is going on in this expansion that it took until a second watch for me to conclude that fandaniel is maybe conceptually the funniest character they've made for FFXIV.

Like, he doesn't really have any jokes, but (all of 83 spoilers) the reveal that he, personally, has been siphoning garlean gas tanks to make your life worse is imo the funniest throwaway line in the MSQ, and the fact that he interrupts your fight with Zenos so he can say his piece, which is literally just "hey I just want to confirm that I am still trying to kill myself and everyone else" before hurling himself into the Zodiark pit is also excellent. How often is a brief video game speech literally two sentences? Perfect character, no notes.

(switching over to 87 spoilers now do not mouse over this if you're not 87 yet you will be annoyed) plus the ultimate conclusion from the MSQ that the reason he lets you finish making the anti-tempering scales is that...gently caress it, man, idk, Hermes was like that too with the whole humanity on trial thing, and that's absolutely perfect. he's just a hosed up little guy who wants to die and have some fun on the way, and I say why not.

Okay back to unrelated 83 spoilers, and a question specifically for lala players, what does the WoL do in the cutscene where you attack Zenos in your body? I can't imagine you do the same running tackle, I feel like it's at the wrong height.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Dark Knight, even with its nerfs, is honestly pretty satisfying because it feels great to Blackest Night an incoming tankbuster and just go "No." Rotation is steady and straightforward, too.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Oh poo poo I forgot about GC turnins for craft/gather

Thanks

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Tank players, please tell me about your favorite tank job (that isn't Gunbreaker). Gunbreaker's my main and I absolutely love it but it's also the only tank I've played past like level 30 so I think it'd be fun to level another just for the hell of it.

WAR......Bloodwhetting is just, you have to try it, it is the most satisfying button. That combined with giant axe swings and a somersaulting axe plunge with Primal Rend, it is amazing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Warrior. Inner Release isn't quite the free 5 fell cleaves it used to be, but it's still very fun (and not that much weaker) plus you get a fair bit of self healing. I'm in love with Nascent Flash and Bloodwhetting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have not even opened Miner since the expansion started and I am already level 81 in it by literally just turning in whatever loose minerals I have in my inventory whenever they're the request of the day, maybe i'll just passively level that lol

For some reason I have a lot of miner stuff but not botanist.... I guess these are all from the time I was getting zonureskin maps and they were in mining nodes...

Doing like three gatherer leves'll get you a level. Pretty easy to level both botany and mining together, and lord knows there's no other use for the leve allowances but DoH and DoL.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Valentin posted:

rewatching cutscenes to refresh my understanding as I do mindless data entry as I get hype for the final zone tonight and so much is going on in this expansion that it took until a second watch for me to conclude that fandaniel is maybe conceptually the funniest character they've made for FFXIV.

Like, he doesn't really have any jokes, but (all of 83 spoilers) the reveal that he, personally, has been siphoning garlean gas tanks to make your life worse is imo the funniest throwaway line in the MSQ, and the fact that he interrupts your fight with Zenos so he can say his piece, which is literally just "hey I just want to confirm that I am still trying to kill myself and everyone else" before hurling himself into the Zodiark pit is also excellent. How often is a brief video game speech literally two sentences? Perfect character, no notes.

Yeah I was really skeptical of both Zenos and Fandaniel as major antagonists going into this expansion but I ended up loving both of their roles, and Fandaniel pulled off such a great swing between being a really hilarious troll of a villain to that grinning, laughing nihilism (that "Remember when I said I wanted to die and take everyone with me? I meant it." line absolutely slaps) to seeing his past self and feeling actual pathos for him.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

hazardousmouse posted:

I feel like I've been seeing raid mechanics that I hadn't seen in years. Is it bad dps from new players and people on new jobs? Or stat squish?

not only raids, but dungeons too. i did an antitower last night and saw mechanics i had literally never seen on the bosses. i'm thankful for the changes honestly.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They are real now! The scions, and then Emet and Hythlo doing some ancient magic, bring them back to corporeal reality. That's why the whole zone still exists after the end of the MSQ. You hoped so hard you brought three civilizations back from extinction (well, dragons weren't extinct, but there are more of them now).

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Harrow posted:

I've only played GNB and PLD so my understanding of this is partly second-hand but afaict no job plays into the protective aspect of tanking as much as paladin does. hitting a well-timed intervention is always satisfying, and passage of arms is the coolest button in the game (except for every other coolest button in the game). plus all the tanks got beefier in EW, but there's still no one as capable of slugging through the last few % of a trial solo or pulling a dungeon party through a poorly-timed healer death, especially with cheaper clemencies.

e: and cover! cover is not a useful button 99% of the time in normal content but every so often there's a sprout who keeps wandering into AoEs you can, personally, prevent from dying, and it feels very cool.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 14, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm out healing the healers I get in roulettes as warrior. Primal rend is amazing, bloodwhetting is the best button ever and yeah, I'm having an amazing time tanking on war

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It owns super hard that (level 89 MSQ) Fandaniel manages to take up two dungeon end bosses and one trial boss. Add that with the fight with clone-Amon in the Crystal Tower and you fight him four times across all of FF14. What a card.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Harrow posted:

I like paladin.

They're not very exciting mechanically, they pretty much have a set rotation and a couple of nice support skills, but they're really flashy. They get cool animations, especially confiteor and its new combo. They do have the best ability to heroically defeat bosses if the healer dies, since they straight-up have their own healing spell that is pretty powerful. It's easy to keep yourself and a couple DPS up, as long as they're not eating mechanics. Out of all the tanks, they most embody the idea of protecting the whole party at once, not just being a distraction, since they also have passage of arms for big raid-wides or stack markers.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
This game has so firmly cemented itself as the best in presentation. The Zodiark Ex fight has such a cool visual pallete and rides the line next to 'too noisy', but never feels like it over steps.

This has always been a strength of the game, but it really does add a lot to the experience. I like watching the fights as much as I like doing them.

E: thanks for the tag assist. Mobile posting is challenging.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Friendly advice to people just now getting to 89-90 in the story:

When you get to the final zone, turn off shout chat entirely if you care even a little bit about story or ambiance. All the people with terminal gamer brains waiting on a world FATE may sour the experience for your otherwise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thundarr posted:

When you get to the final zone, turn off shout chat entirely if you care even a little bit about story or ambiance. All the people with terminal gamer brains waiting on a world FATE may sour the experience for your otherwise.

Do this even if you're not in the final zone, I know someone who was in a hunt train an hour ago and was complaining about people /shout-ing spoilers through the 82-83 zone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Harrow posted:

I've been a paladin main since I subbed. My favorite aspects have always been being able to just put a boss fight on your back if you need to.

Also I love the subtle change to the unsheathe animation in Endwalker.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was able to do a single fate before I crash to a graphics card error. Swapped to dx9 and got to do the daily main scenario before getting a 90002 a bit later.

They really really need to implement a skip queue for server error and crashes. Next one I get today is basically lights out for the rest of the day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Thundarr posted:

100%. I mean I'd do this even before that, but zone 6 is especially bad because there's a boss fate there and so everyone is hanging out there idling with nothing else to do and will just casually say spoilers in shout chat. It's pretty lovely.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

queeb posted:

I'm out healing the healers I get in roulettes as warrior. Primal rend is amazing, bloodwhetting is the best button ever and yeah, I'm having an amazing time tanking on war

This isn't even an exaggeration. I power levelled Sage with my friend who was levelling Warrior, and for a lot of pulls I'd get by with a single Taurochole. Bloodwhetting was just them being at full hp for 6 seconds, and Thrill / Equillibrium would cover what my Kardia heals wouldn't.

A couple of the bigger pulls would take a modicum of effort, but I'd rarely have to dip into my toolkit for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Valentin posted:

I've only played GNB and PLD so my understanding of this is partly second-hand but afaict no job plays into the protective aspect of tanking as much as paladin does. hitting a well-timed intervention is always satisfying, and passage of arms is the coolest button in the game (except for every other coolest button in the game). plus all the tanks got beefier in EW, but there's still no one as capable of slugging through the last few % of a trial solo or pulling a dungeon party through a poorly-timed healer death, especially with cheaper clemencies.

e: and cover! cover is not a useful button 99% of the time in normal content but every so often there's a sprout who keeps wandering into AoEs you can, personally, prevent from dying, and it feels very cool.

Yeah, paladin has the most well rounded and generally easiest to use defensive cooldowns of the lot and aside from that their niche lies in having way better ranged presence than any of the other tanks on balance of their self healing being fiddler and personal damage being lower. Warrior is probably the most straightforward mechanically with a low barrier of entry and a shitload of self healing. Dark Knight

I feel like GNB rides an interesting line in that they are more of a melee powerhouse, but their defensive cooldowns exist in the middle between paladin raw mitigation and warrior self healing through everything. Their difficulty being that it can be hard to manage nailing their No Mercy windows balanced with keeping their defensive cooldowns rolling.