Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

Hopefully the parts you installed were good, but have a look at all the connectors between the battery, start relay, and all the way down to the stator. Pull the start relay out and make sure the base isn't corroded and/or melted. Same with all the connectors.

:siren:

This, I think you may have a short problem with your wiring between the stator and the rest of the charging system. This is a common problem with VFRs which can be fixed with upgraded wiring.

https://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?products_id=272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Thanks! I'll test everything again when I eventually get a day off, I suspect the charging system is okay since the bike has no issues running so there must be something happening with the starting system.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Haven't had a lot of time but I did find the fuel pump but I have no idea like what wires to check or what to unscrew, it all feels fairly complex and I'm worried if I take the wrong thing out I won't be able to put it back together.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skyarb posted:

Haven't had a lot of time but I did find the fuel pump but I have no idea like what wires to check or what to unscrew, it all feels fairly complex and I'm worried if I take the wrong thing out I won't be able to put it back together.

Go to a mechanic

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Go to a mechanic

but first disassemble things, they love that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

what’s the magic trick to compressing piston rings from below while sliding a top end together from above?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I used a piece of paper or an index card depending on the size of the piston. just hold it tight and slide the top end over it. third hand helps

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Do that part while it's on a bench, then just attach the wrist pin instead when sliding head on?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Slavvy posted:

Go to a mechanic

I really don't want to pay to tow the bike to a mechanic and no, I, nor do any of my friends have a truck. Surely it can't be too difficult to figure out the wires. I'm just gonna send it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hahahahahaha that's the sprit!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

what’s the magic trick to compressing piston rings from below while sliding a top end together from above?

Make sure you've lubed the cylinder, I just try to keep them in place with my fingers, slightly compressed all around, and just make sure they get into the tapered bit evenly all the way around. Just do one at a time and you'll get there easy.

Skyarb posted:

I really don't want to pay to tow the bike to a mechanic and no, I, nor do any of my friends have a truck. Surely it can't be too difficult to figure out the wires. I'm just gonna send it

Google a wiring diagram, theoretically that and a multimeter are all you need.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK thanks. I’m getting ready to button it back up so I’ll try slavvy’s thing first and then to do the wrist-pin-last or cardboard compression thing if somehow I can’t. I’m just going to scrub a little of the carbon/soot off the piston first and hopefully it’s back together in a few weeks, weather permitting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skyarb posted:

My sincere advice is take it super slow and take pictures. Then post them here. Yes, this will slowly drive slavvy to madness and you'll probably get a few snarky replies but it's the best, most reliable way I can think of to actually get it done without loving everything up.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Skyarb posted:

I would get the real shop manual, not the Clymer or other aftermarket manual, the actual shop manual and read the troubleshooting procedure for problem. You should also take a look at the parts diagrams for the fuel system so you have a general understanding of what parts are involved.

If this is a fuel delivery problem, the easiest way to test that is to bypass the entire electric pump system and feed the FI system via gravity, ideally from fresh fuel from an auxiliary tank. The fuel level just has to be above the level of the FI system, set the petcock to RES or PRIME and Mother Earth will do the rest. This bypasses the pump and associated electronics, and if it starts this way you know your pump is not getting fuel to the injectors. This is brand new fuel in the tank?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Gorson posted:

I would get the real shop manual, not the Clymer or other aftermarket manual, the actual shop manual and read the troubleshooting procedure for problem. You should also take a look at the parts diagrams for the fuel system so you have a general understanding of what parts are involved.

If this is a fuel delivery problem, the easiest way to test that is to bypass the entire electric pump system and feed the FI system via gravity, ideally from fresh fuel from an auxiliary tank. The fuel level just has to be above the level of the FI system, set the petcock to RES or PRIME and Mother Earth will do the rest. This bypasses the pump and associated electronics, and if it starts this way you know your pump is not getting fuel to the injectors. This is brand new fuel in the tank?

Yup brand new fuel! I used a syphon to get out the old fuel so it's possible I missed a few ounces of old fuel so it could be that that is still lovely but I don't think so.

And thanks I will try to find the maintenance documents.

Here is the fuel pump. I see a bunch of wires going into it at the top right but they are all insulated and I feel like I shouldn't strip that to check with a multimeter but maybe I just should

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Put a carburetor on it

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

cursedshitbox posted:

Put a carburetor on it

Wish I could. I know how to break apart a carb and clean it. Leanred on my first bike a 1980's kawasaki kz 550. That piece of poo poo broke down all the time and the simpicity of it was nice to learn on. This is a whole nother beast :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

What? No! This is like, completely and utterly wrong and will never work wtf??

Fuel injectors work with pressure they don't do jack from gravity alone. None of this will work, what the christ.

Skyarb posted:

Yup brand new fuel! I used a syphon to get out the old fuel so it's possible I missed a few ounces of old fuel so it could be that that is still lovely but I don't think so.

And thanks I will try to find the maintenance documents.

Here is the fuel pump. I see a bunch of wires going into it at the top right but they are all insulated and I feel like I shouldn't strip that to check with a multimeter but maybe I just should

Every post you make reinforces how badly out of your depth you are. Please go to a mechanic.

I know you won't follow the actual good advice so instead: those wires don't just vanish into the bike. Don't strip anything that's insane. There will be a connector somewhere. GET A WIRING DIAGRAM. Once you have a wiring diagram (usually found in the factory manual) it is trivially easy to identify the right wires and check them for power at the connector. Again this is super, super basic diagnosis, if this seems difficult it's not going to get easier and the further you go without resolving it, the more you'll have to pay some angry bastard at the other end to wipe your arse.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Skyarb posted:

Wish I could. I know how to break apart a carb and clean it. Leanred on my first bike a 1980's kawasaki kz 550. That piece of poo poo broke down all the time and the simpicity of it was nice to learn on. This is a whole nother beast :(

You've verified spark, I'd be extremely surprised if you don't have compression, just need to verify fuel delivery. Could be as simple as a clogged filter or gas cap vent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Fuel injectors work with pressure they don't do jack from gravity alone. None of this will work, what the christ.

I think Gorson is assuming the bike has both a delivery pump and a pressure pump, and the one we're looking at bypassing is the delivery one.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

So I did find a wiring diagram but the notion that it would make me less confused instead of more confused is pretty lol. That being said I'm determined now to either solve it or gently caress it up a thousand times more

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Skyarb posted:

That being said I'm determined now to either solve it or gently caress it up a thousand times more

Friend, this is the patented Martytoof method of motorcycle maintenance and down this path madness lies, fair warning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think Gorson is assuming the bike has both a delivery pump and a pressure pump, and the one we're looking at bypassing is the delivery one.

? No bike in existence has the system you're describing as far as I know.

That bike is a typical yamaha carb-efi conversion in that it's done the laziest way imaginable - by having a gravity feed tap on the main tank leading to a small secondary tank that contains the efi pump, everything else is totally normal. Injected V-stars/strykers work the same way.

Skyarb posted:

So I did find a wiring diagram but the notion that it would make me less confused instead of more confused is pretty lol. That being said I'm determined now to either solve it or gently caress it up a thousand times more

Learn about how basic circuits and power flow works, how to test for voltage and continuity, how relays work, what electrical symbols mean. If this all sounds hard and confusing: go to a mechanic. Blindly tampering with poo poo will just make the situation worse; random trial and error never fixed anything.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Friend, this is the patented Martytoof method of motorcycle maintenance and down this path madness lies, fair warning.

Posting maintenance questions in this thread is just a very specific kind of D/s kink: ask about your broken bike, receive withering Slavvy criticism, break bike further, repeat.

E: wrenchdom

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Are there any BC riders that can share some advice re: getting insurance quotes? I can get an online quote from Megson & Fitzpatrick, but that's just for all perils and gear add-on, not ICBC liability or additional liability. Am I going to have to pretend it's still 1999 and phone half a dozen brokerages to see who's willing to run numbers for me on bikes I might be interested in buying but don't actually own yet? Or is there one that comes recommended as being somewhat helpful?

I used to live there.

Given that your liability insurance has to come from ICBC, quotes from brokers won't vary for that at all. AFAIK, they don't have a public accessible online system for rate quotes, either.

I used to do exactly what you did, call different places for quotes on different bikes.

ICBC is such a ridiculously antiquated dumpster fire, I never thought SGI (Sask version) would be more progressive. Not only can you get online quotes from them, but you can buy and print your own temp tags.

Where in BC are you? You can PM me if you want/ if it's easier.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Right I was thinking that the pump just pumps fuel from the tank to the injector system but does not pressurize it. I know you cannot simply dump fuel into injectors and have them work. Now I know that the pump pressurizes it and there are not two separate pumps. I just won't respond to FI questions.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Every post you make reinforces how badly out of your depth you are. Please go to a mechanic.

I know you won't follow the actual good advice so instead: those wires don't just vanish into the bike. Don't strip anything that's insane. There will be a connector somewhere. GET A WIRING DIAGRAM. Once you have a wiring diagram (usually found in the factory manual) it is trivially easy to identify the right wires and check them for power at the connector. Again this is super, super basic diagnosis, if this seems difficult it's not going to get easier and the further you go without resolving it, the more you'll have to pay some angry bastard at the other end to wipe your arse.

I know this is your schtick but can you tone it the gently caress down and act like an adult

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I know this is your schtick but can you tone it the gently caress down and act like an adult

Make me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drat CA is soft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The newbie thread is the one where everyone is supposed to be on their best behavior. The rest of the forum is the thunderdome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The newbie thread is the one where everyone is supposed to be on their best behavior. The rest of the forum is the thunderdome

These are the rules of engagement as I got them explained to me yeah

Tell you what, when I get home today I'll make an effortpost about how to use a multimeter, cliff notes biek style.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or you know you can just post helpful stuff without trying to channel 2005 style edgelord energy. Nobody is going to care how much knowledge you have if it’s delivered with all the grace of the IT guy from SNL.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I like the posts.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Or you know you can just post helpful stuff without trying to channel 2005 style edgelord energy. Nobody is going to care how much knowledge you have if it’s delivered with all the grace of the IT guy from SNL.

Calling people out when they post total horseshit advice isn't edgelordy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I don't see why it's on Slavvy - who is giving the benefit of his years of professional experience completely free of charge - to ensure it's done in the most sugared and dulcet tones. He has the option of just *not* taking his own free time to help a complete stranger on the other side of the world - consider the (extremely mild, IMO) snark that accompanies it as the price he's charging for it.

Now if he'd just said "You're a loving idiot, don't bother", or given actively wrong advice either through ignorance or malice, then yeah tell him to zip it, but he's given OP all of the information they need (and shown a willingness to give them much more) and frankly approaching them with a tone of "You can do it champ, I believe in you!" would serve them rather less well when they've already not really actually paid attention to the advice given by multiple people and shown rather too much willingness to Dunning-Kruger their way through components that have both voltage and petrol in them, which doesn't seem like a recipe for a good time.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
we literally just watched you dumb fucks crowdsource mechanic opinions until someone managed to destroy a DRZ engine

like how are we twisting panties over "you are in over your head, go to a professional" lmfao

get a grip

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy should continue his mean but accurate advice giving.
We should continue to occasionally tell him he is mean but still enjoy his advice, ungrateful shits that we are.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Woah woah this thread is getting more controversial than the F1 finale.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy is mean? You guys are wusses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IDK where this idea that I'm somehow a gimmick or act of some kind comes from. This is just me, it's how I talk IRL, my personality is not a schtick. If you think I'm an rear end in a top hat you can call me an rear end in a top hat, put me on ignore or buy me a red text if tone policing me is so fucken important. Doesn't change the reality of the advice I try to give out. Machines don't care about your feelings.