Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

gay for gacha posted:

I am grapple goon and I read every post in this thread. My wife has no interest in grappling and actually wants to sign up for Kungfu. How can she tell if a kungfu school is legit?

I was looking into this a few years ago (Watching too much Ip Man) and it's tricky. Ask where their style is from and they should happily volunteer whom they learned from and google the poo poo out of that. Keep an open mind. If they pretend too much that it's an effective self defense system, you should probably look elsewhere.
If you have a sizeable Chinese community, look for the ones that also does dragon dance. Again, still no guarantee that they're legit, but it's a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The tricky thing about Kung Fu is that someone who made up some bullshit about the Shaolin temple isn't legit but someone who did that 300 years ago is. Founder/lineage hagiography is really common. If they describe their lineage, see if it sets off your bullshit detector

In addition to the great advice others offered, you could also check for competitive Wushu schools if that's something she'd like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

slidebite posted:

One thing to ask your wife though are her thoughts on sparring. I think Kung-fu, like most others, generally has mandatory sparring and in my experience can be a real turn-off for women. Some are amazing and tigers, others really shy from it and don't enjoy it. Often enough to discontinue training if they take a good hit.

I'm sure there's schools that do almost only form work, which is cool, too. Those classes are like dance, where percussion of pose and aesthetic interpretation are meaningful dimensions.
There was a kid's Shaolin weapons class that taught all summer behind Davis Square (local for gacha). Well maybe it was for adults, too, but I only saw one maybe college aged kid.

Donnie Yen's mother still teaches taichi in Newton, but not quite local.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

She just wants to do forms.

slidebite posted:

I have zero kung-fu experience but a client of mine is very active in the community. His biggest issue with our area at least, is there is few practitioners/schools within a 2-3 hour perimeter so he generally has to drive hours for any competitions and even then they are almost always mixed. If you like I can ask him what his thoughts are for a good school, other than word of mouth.

If it isn't too wild, I would appreciate his thoughts.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure there's schools that do almost only form work, which is cool, too. Those classes are like dance, where percussion of pose and aesthetic interpretation are meaningful dimensions.
There was a kid's Shaolin weapons class that taught all summer behind Davis Square (local for gacha). Well maybe it was for adults, too, but I only saw one maybe college aged kid.

Donnie Yen's mother still teaches taichi in Newton, but not quite local.
Do you know anything about taichi? She would dig that too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

Do you know anything about taichi? She would dig that too.

Not about local programs, no. I know some about the curriculum because I used to do it as a kid.
There's a few different styles. I'm not 100%, but I think the most popular are Yang (probably what most people have seen) and Chen.

Yang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUvu_FkncW0&t=21s
Everything is done at one smooth pace, except for the Lotus Sweep

Chen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yctN4uTQM
More articulation of the hands/arms, can add pop at the end of movements, frequently sitting deeper in your horse/bow stances.

There are a big number of variations in forms that essentially include/exclude different moves, and link them in different ways. This isn't really that important, unless it'd be fun to memorize a longer routine. There's a whole bunch of hooha over what is or isn't good form, sometimes conflated with "martial applications," and that's all bunk*. There's some general principles, like keep your back straight up, don't put your knees past your toes, etc., that will give you a generally good looking style. Beyond that, it's all fairly arbitrary like a dog show.

In terms of exercise/fitness -- Yang is popular with old people because of the slow steady pace and the less athletic stances. It's like yoga in that you don't have to be moving fast to break a sweat or get sore. Chen can be a lot more normal, like other striking martial arts. Similar demand to how a lot of other Chinese form-based martial arts are taught.
Like the poster above said -- lots of the martial arts gyms down in Boston Chinatown teach a bunch of different arts including taichi and lion dance, all under one roof.

* re application. Taichi and other Chinese martial arts did involve real fighting at one point, but of course only the ones that continued to practice sparring could ever make moves work. So discussion within a taichi class about fighting technique is pointless.
That said, I am fascinated when Chinese wrestling (shuai jiao) instruction gives a real interpretation of what a taichi move is supposed to do. And this is my go to video for showing that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZmH9jR5eo
When he sleeve grips, hooks that arm, and then steps back with the rear foot -- he actually gets exactly in the taichi position!

That demo doesn't prove that shuai jiao is a real combat sport is real, of course, so you can peep this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0OcUA6rv8&t=6s
It's as real as any other jacketed grappling art, with obvious necessary commonalities. Don't quote me, but I think you're thrown when any part of your body besides feet touch the ground, so a bit looser than judo.
e: that first clean throw (thrower stays up) is 3 points. Pushout at 1:26 was 1 point. The unclean throw at 2:35 is 1 point. 3:45 -- I don't see how it's clean enough to award the throw to blue, but I guess that's the deal with ruling per throw instead of scoring the whole round.
There's clearly some amplitude heuristic, but I dunno what it is.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 12, 2021

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

EdsTeioh posted:

Have you taken classes yet?

I haven't - I'm working a nutty schedule that's mostly evenings/weekends through February. Actually, I was only looking at TKD because I'd originally hoped to get into kendo, but it looked like the local club had shut down. Turns out that's not true, so I'm gonna start with that (meets Sundays, one of my few consistent days.)

Nothing against TKD, but I actually have specific interest in and connection to kendo. I read Musashi's Book of Five Rings a while back and really dug it. This year, I got into Japanese/Chinese ink painting (sumi-e) by total chance - it was the only available class that worked for my schedule - and also dug that. Found out later that Musashi was also an accomplished painter, and I can feel intuitively how the motions of fencing and painting are related. So, thought I'd give it a shot. Who knows? If I have time, there's no reason I can't do both kendo and TKD or something.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Red Crown posted:

I haven't - I'm working a nutty schedule that's mostly evenings/weekends through February. Actually, I was only looking at TKD because I'd originally hoped to get into kendo, but it looked like the local club had shut down. Turns out that's not true, so I'm gonna start with that (meets Sundays, one of my few consistent days.)

Nothing against TKD, but I actually have specific interest in and connection to kendo. I read Musashi's Book of Five Rings a while back and really dug it. This year, I got into Japanese/Chinese ink painting (sumi-e) by total chance - it was the only available class that worked for my schedule - and also dug that. Found out later that Musashi was also an accomplished painter, and I can feel intuitively how the motions of fencing and painting are related. So, thought I'd give it a shot. Who knows? If I have time, there's no reason I can't do both kendo and TKD or something.

Nope, understandable. I did a big report in college on 5 Rings as I said earlier, kendo is the only other martial art I've ever studied. My roommate at the time and I both took it and used to practice a bunch in our backyard, much to our neighbor's children's delight. And yes, no reason you can't do both. There's very little overlap there and you you'll probably find that the footwork in kendo will compliment TKD as well. If you haven't been to a kendo class yet, they traditionally stress footwork VERY heavily. I've heard of people that didn't actually touch a shinai for a couple of months and literally ONLY did footwork consistently in class and practice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

If you haven't been to a kendo class yet, they traditionally stress footwork VERY heavily. I've heard of people that didn't actually touch a shinai for a couple of months and literally ONLY did footwork consistently in class and practice.

My dojo is about as traditional as it gets and we probably keep adults doing the very basics for longer than most and yeah, you'll touch a shinai on day one.
You will be doing footwork for months, but you'll do it with the shinai and you'll get to do basic exercises with that too.|
While the footwork is hard, it's just has hard to teach adults to swing the shinai correctly. Sure it's hard for kids too, but you can let it happen more organically, as they don't have the strength to hurt people with it.

Edit: Most dojos will have you in armor within 3-4 months. The drop-out rate is very high and most people don't have the attention span required, so a lot of people get to practice in armor way too early.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 12, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

"Like wringing a dishrag"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Honestly? That all sounds great. As a younger guy I would have been frothing at the mouth waiting to throw kicks, punches, and swing ~the blade~. These days, I'm much more interested in better body coordination and participating in a rigorous discipline.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Awesome! Let us know how it goes!

We had last week off due to testing/belt ceremonies and all that, so tonight's my first class since last Saturday. Sure I'm going to be dead afterwards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did you pass your stripe test? What was your feedback?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Did you pass your stripe test? What was your feedback?

YES I DID! Basically the same stuff I need to keep working on that frustrates me like my side kicks for board breaks being bad, I'm a sucker for a couple of fake out kicks in sparring (twist kicks in particular), I tend to overcommit to attacks/combos and a lot of times don't have a particular followup in mind after completing a combo. Our sparring test was getting paired up, judge calling go and then sparring until someone scored a point, but they weren't actually KEEPING score. At our level, it was more to see if you can actually defend attacks and score points in general as opposed to winning/losing. I went fairly even in my first matchup and then shredded my second opponent, then GOT shredded in my last one. That was the point that I wasn't breathing well and felt like I was drowning. Couldn't make the ceremony this weekend due to being on call for work though >-( but at least I got to sneak out for a bit to watch my son get his blue.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

kimbo305 posted:

It's as real as any other jacketed grappling art, with obvious necessary commonalities. Don't quote me, but I think you're thrown when any part of your body besides feet touch the ground, so a bit looser than judo.

Yeah, that's my understanding. As much as I enjoy a good sacrifice throw, I also appreciate the flavor that shuai jiao has because it rewards staying on your feet--more quick trip/shove moves that would instead involve grips and following the other person down to the ground if you were doing them in judo, for example.

Another sparring-tested type of kung fu worth a mention is sanda/san shou, which looks quite a bit like Muay Thai--punches, kicks, trips from the clinch, etc. With the growing popularity of MMA in China, I suspect we'll see a lot more Chinese people with a sanda background showing up in the UFC in a few years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

YES I DID! Basically the same stuff I need to keep working on that frustrates me like my side kicks for board breaks being bad, I'm a sucker for a couple of fake out kicks in sparring (twist kicks in particular), I tend to overcommit to attacks/combos and a lot of times don't have a particular followup in mind after completing a combo. Our sparring test was getting paired up, judge calling go and then sparring until someone scored a point, but they weren't actually KEEPING score. At our level, it was more to see if you can actually defend attacks and score points in general as opposed to winning/losing. I went fairly even in my first matchup and then shredded my second opponent, then GOT shredded in my last one. That was the point that I wasn't breathing well and felt like I was drowning. Couldn't make the ceremony this weekend due to being on call for work though >-( but at least I got to sneak out for a bit to watch my son get his blue.
Congrats!
Good for you and good feedback is very valuable.

I had, and to a point still do, have issues with both my side and back kick for breaks as well. I am pretty sure I know exactly what my problem is though and trying to work through it. I'm not sure what your problem is obviously, but my problem is I basically kick more or less flat footed so it isn't my heel contacting first. For breaks I have to make a point of remembering to pull the toes back which will automatically drive the heel out. When I do that, I pretty consistently break first try... as long as I hit the right spot.

I'm actually breaking wood tonight as a live rehearsal per my BB test in June, so I'm hoping I am able to pull it off as well.... and not have a broken hand/wrist over Christmas because of a bad hand technique lol

Regarding the fakes, that's going to be experience, both yourself and with your specific partner and learning telegraphs and not to telegraph yourself. I don't know your style, but since you're a not small and an adult male, good chance you're often on the offense. Don't always be the aggressive one. Remember to try and sidestep, not backwards. If you go side you have a decent chance of screwing up their move (or totally exposing he fake) but being close enough to do something yourself and can generally be done quicker. Of course, if they're good they'll just try and rotate/change what they're doing a bit, but sideways is generally better than going back 9 times out of 10... in my experience at least. Especially if it's a true match and you don't want to go out of the ring.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 14, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nestharken posted:

Another sparring-tested type of kung fu worth a mention is sanda/san shou, which looks quite a bit like Muay Thai--punches, kicks, trips from the clinch, etc. With the growing popularity of MMA in China, I suspect we'll see a lot more Chinese people with a sanda background showing up in the UFC in a few years.

I've actually trained sanshou primarily for most of my years. A lot of sparring was with people who trained Thai rules, so throws were rather deemphasized, but I've been to the national event twice (even posted getting unceremoniously TKOed the 2nd time in here).

The leitai is about the same size as the smaller UFC octagon, but feels ironically a bit more claustrophobic than a cage, since several feet before you're at the edge, your spidey senses start tingling that it's not safe to be there. Still a ton of room to work, but hard to train for if all you have at your local gym is a boxing ring where a pushout is simply when you get pushed into the ropes. TBH, the biggest difference which caught me off guard was how spongy the leitai was. It was more energy sapping than the softest wrestling mats I've been on. I knew about that the 2nd year but still didn't have my conditioning ready to go.

The fast throw mentality suits a ruleset with striking. BJJ's answer is to get close and secure the limbs. Sanshou's is to execute the throw as fast as possible to limit how many answering punches they can do. Technically if someone attempts to throw you, and you defend by clinching, you can't mixing in strikes anymore -- only while you're still entering into the clinch. It's usually not a problem because you're given 3s from the start of a catch to execute the throw.

Good example of a sanshou/shuai jiao style throw, from a distance, in response to a very obvious kick:

I would say year for year of training, someone who does sanshou will be a little less expert than someone training muay thai at catching round kicks, but much better at linear kicks. It's not a fair comparison cuz many of the leg trips in sanshou aren't legal in MT.

I dunno which sanshou rulesets allow it, but you can plant a knee for a shot takedown, which was meant to make the sport friendlier for wrestlers.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Congrats!
Good for you and good feedback is very valuable.

I had, and to a point still do, have issues with both my side and back kick for breaks as well. I am pretty sure I know exactly what my problem is though and trying to work through it. I'm not sure what your problem is obviously, but my problem is I basically kick more or less flat footed so it isn't my heel contacting first. For breaks I have to make a point of remembering to pull the toes back which will automatically drive the heel out. When I do that, I pretty consistently break first try... as long as I hit the right spot.

I'm actually breaking wood tonight as a live rehearsal per my BB test in June, so I'm hoping I am able to pull it off as well.... and not have a broken hand/wrist over Christmas because of a bad hand technique lol

Regarding the fakes, that's going to be experience, both yourself and with your specific partner and learning telegraphs and not to telegraph yourself. I don't know your style, but since you're a not small and an adult male, good chance you're often on the offense. Don't always be the aggressive one. Remember to try and sidestep, not backwards. If you go side you have a decent chance of screwing up their move (or totally exposing he fake) but being close enough to do something yourself and can generally be done quicker. Of course, if they're good they'll just try and rotate/change what they're doing a bit, but sideways is generally better than going back 9 times out of 10... in my experience at least. Especially if it's a true match and you don't want to go out of the ring.

Dude, like EVERY TIME I do side kick breaks, I end up impacting with the ball of my foot. A lot of the problem comes from a bad round kick the first week I was in class where I was doing bag sparring didn't commit to pulling my toes back and ended up full force kicking the bag straight on with my big toe and broke or jammed it (this made my Disney trip...fun). Due to that, I usually end up doing round kicks with my instep, and I think that carries over into side kicks as well and my foot ends up being extended. Also, something I've found on side kicks...and this is hard to explain in text...is that you have to engage your glutes to get the full power. Heat of the moment when we're doing a full 4 station break with a time limit has me usually forgetting that.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that being experience. Side stepping is something I HAVE been trying to add in, and I think I'm getting ok at it, and especially now I started adding in spin kicks as followups. Funny thing with that is that standing still doing drills, I absolutely SUCK at spin kicks, but in practical applications, I find that they're much easier to pull off.

Class last night was rad AF and I'm not dead at all despite us doing a really pushup intensive set of warm ups. At this point, I think I'm probably in some of the best shape of my life, and am seeing the results of all this. Our "cycle" this time is practical self defense, so we're doing a lot of focus on proper backfalls, hold escapes, and that kind of thing. Last time we did this, we learned some headlock escapes and then transitions into a kimura. I'm 100% here for all that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah, that protective instinct from memory from getting hurt can be a tough one to overcome if you just can't put it out of mind. Just repetition and getting rid of that muscle memory by building a new one is really about all you can do IMHO. You know you have to pull those toes back, just keep doing it over and over. Do you do it with your back kick too?

It does feel awesome when you have a great training session and you know you couldn't do it before, so it is plain as day your conditioning is improving.

Did my trial breaks for real for the first time last night (as opposed to pads/plastic boards).

Went OK! Did my power kick technique, back kick, broke 2nd try. Wasn't lined up quite right the first time. It was soooo satisfying hearing that sweet sound of the wood breaking and going all the way though. It was a huge relief. It was my biggest concern for much the same reason you have, I often first contact with the ball of my foot instead of heel... and you are not going to break multiple boards that way.

I was almost prophetic with the whole breaking my right wrist over the holidays. For my hand technique power break, I plowed through the boards with a RH knifehand strike, BUT my wrist took the brunt of it, a mixture of not the best positioning and I think the board holders moved ever so slightly. If I didn't make it through, it might have been a very different story. After the break, my RMT who trains with me and also a BB candidate looked at my wrist and her eyes got HUGE because it was massively swelling right before us with pretty much every heartbeat lol. She thought I broke it or maybe tore my carpal/flexor tendon. But, I could rotate and move my hand fine so we just immediately iced it. Only a little swollen today and not even really bruised so it'll be OK.

My left hand, which I broke as part of my 4-direction, hit perfect. Just a small cut from the wood splintering.

Don't think I'll be doing much for pushups or power hand techniques for the rest of the week though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dude that's awesome! Do you guys wear gloves or anything when you're doing breaks? Sounds like no from your description. We usually wear MMA style gloves for hand breaks, but it's one of those things that's "optional but not really." Most of us wear our sparring forearm/elbow pads when doing elbow breaks. The ONE time I saw a guy not use one or wear a gi/dobok, he busted his elbow open and bled all over the place.

When you say "back kick" are you talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuq1H1Y-BCA or something else?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No, we don't wear any protective gear for breaks. Full on bareback traditional lol. Not saying that it is a good or smart thing.... Just the way it is. I've never seen anyone break wearing anything but their dobok.

I actually think gloves with finger impact for the holders would be not a crazy idea, especially for practice as the kicker may be dialing in their accuracy. Either way, the holders are the real heroes. Taking a full power kick to your fingertips is not fun, it's like slamming your fingers with your car door. Ask me how I know.

So our back kick is similar to that vid you linked, but a fairly major difference. We *always* turn to look at the target. Very, very rarely will you not look at the target with our strikes. I'm actually not sure I can wrap my head around not looking at the target, unless it was a flurry or something like a jump/punch where you are going both directions.

How do you guys do it? Do you look at the target?

This is our standard non jumping back kick, and what I did for my power kick technique except mine were held by hand. 2 men actually holding boards and then 2 more holding their wrists locking them. I think in this vid he's breaking 7 boards which would obviously be impossible to securely hold by hand. My kick is not nearly as crisp as this though. This fellow is a 6th dan Master and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I'm actually going to email him and ask him about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC1HCbK-Xbk

Regarding elbow strikes, we do them as part of drills and a couple patterns/forms have them of course, but adults can't do elbow strikes for a formal testing break technique. Only juniors are allowed. The view is, rightly or wrongly, it's too easy. I suppose if the person wanted to do a lot of boards or maybe as part of a routine they might allow it... but I don't know. Now that I think about it, outside of a drill or pattern, I've never done one other than a pad.

The juniors who do it have no protection, just the sleeve of their dobok. We had a 14 year old do one last night actually. I don't recall seeing blood the few times I've seen it, the uni probably helps with that absorb the scuff. Bleeding knuckles from punches, sides of hands and heels absolutely happen though. For the holders sometimes too lol.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ook, that's pretty close to what we call a "spin side kick" if not the same thing, tbh. For competition breaking, that's required of...I think red or brown belts and up. Rest of us do standard step side kicks (#3 side kick in our lexicon). We always look at the target, and usually learn to target at first by leading with the elbow.

Dude, holding boards in ROUGH on the hands and wrists. I bought my son a practice board and then ended up having to hold it for him to practice his breaks and after like 20 minutes of constant kicks, my wrists were so sore I could hardly move them. Really need to invest on one of those holder things.

For uniforms, we usually wear normal martial arts pants but then just a dri-fit shirt during regular classes. We wear our doboks during testing, classes the week of testing, and then also at tournaments. I SAY dobok, but I think what we wear is actually closer to a gi, but I've been corrected, so who knows. If anyone has any clarification on that, lemme have it.

Out testing breaks are 4 stations; front kick/snap kick, downward palm strike, downward elbow strike, side kick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's interesting how some of the same/similar moves are differently named. TKD is so fractured lol. We're like the most dysfunctional family ever.

Holding boards is a rough job, totally the unsung heroes. It's a really good skill though and there is real technique in doing it well. IE: Your stance, locking your elbow into your hip to keep your forearm rigid... it can be a brutal job on testing day. A good holder is worth their weight in gold. My hip is always yellow, or worse after holding for any period of time from my own elbow digging into it. A poor holder can absolutely stop you from breaking, I suspect you've run into it yourself by now. I didn't do one of my breaks (a fairly easy one, actually... axe kick) last night because my holder was out of place and held the boards way more vertical than they should have been so my heel kind of glanced off it. I can't blame him though, it's a tough skill to do well and I should have totally checked him on it before I started.

Those holders are nifty, but really only appropriate for those kicks/strikes where you can hit straight on. I don't know if you can rotate/pitch the boards for other techniques. I've never used one. If you miss it would not be a pleasant thing to hit with your foot... probably worse with your hand... probably more motivation to not miss lol

Regarding uniforms, :siren: from what I understand :siren: - our doboks are basically karate gis. They are similar in cut but a noticeably lighter weight than Judo or BJJ gi/uniform as we don't do the grappling/throwing work. We certainly do a few throws/take downs, but outside of our formal per-arranged testing component we don't do them in sparring. Certainly nothing like the other disciplines that get on the ground. I always thought dobok was just a Korean translation for the same thing, but I really don't know. We always wear them when we are training. If we're doing a straight up fitness class we are not expected to, although they are actually pretty comfortable and have good movement. I actually have 5 doboks in active rotation. If I train more than 5 classes a week I need to run a load of laundry. Nothing worse than a uniform with a ton of stank.

Are those breaks for all color belts? No knife hands or punches? When do you do different ones? Those make sense for junior/color belts. They're pretty important to do well.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

slidebite posted:

It's interesting how some of the same/similar moves are differently named. TKD is so fractured lol. We're like the most dysfunctional family ever.

Having been in both worlds, I respectfully disagree. Wing Chun is bonkers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lol I'll take your word :)

Good to know there is always someone else more screwed up!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

See, I thought that "dobok" referred specifically to those pullover v-neck things that look like you should be wearing in a hippie cult. We wear straight up cross front/tie on side things that one would generally associate with karate or jiu-jitsu. TBH I find them pretty comfy and I think they look cool, but we live in NW Florida so it's a 100% humidity sauna here basically all year so I understand preferring the dri-fit. Apparently in the ancient past (like uh 5 years+ ago) wearing doboks was standard all the time, but the heat and all.

Yeah, in regards to lexicon, I also wish we had a common language since I think this is like the 3rd time you and I have had to link videos or clarify kicks, lol.

The 4 breaks I outlined are *generally* the only ones we do in competition and testing from what I know. Keep in mind I'm also still in my first year, so there might be some REAL ULTIMATE POWER stuff that unlocks when you get higher and in different classes. During testing, we do them all in a sequence in testing in order: front kick, down palm strike, down elbow, side kick. All colored belts do these but the time limit is shorter at higher ranks and also higher ranks (brown or red and up) have to vary the actual kick with either a jump front kick or spin side or jump spin side. I'm gonna try to find a video of one of these.

Christ I REALLY want to go to class tonight after talking about all this

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Having been in both worlds, I respectfully disagree. Wing Chun is bonkers.

Does Wing Chun use traditional Cantonese/Mandarin names?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

EdsTeioh posted:

Does Wing Chun use traditional Cantonese/Mandarin names?

Cantonese names, yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

See, I thought that "dobok" referred specifically to those pullover v-neck things that look like you should be wearing in a hippie cult. We wear straight up cross front/tie on side things that one would generally associate with karate or jiu-jitsu. TBH I find them pretty comfy and I think they look cool, but we live in NW Florida so it's a 100% humidity sauna here basically all year so I understand preferring the dri-fit. Apparently in the ancient past (like uh 5 years+ ago) wearing doboks was standard all the time, but the heat and all.
It is entirely possible you might be right, but I've seen the "jacket" / wrap type uniform called a Dobok too, like here.
https://bushido.ca/product/adidas-itf-black-belt-champion-dobok/

BUT most of them certainly appear to be the "V" type pullover thing. It might be the heritage of our master- masters when TKD was basically like a Korean Karate (which we still closely practice... never got into the whole ITF/WT/ATA organizations thing) etc, so it makes some sense that they may have "borrowed" the Karate Gi/uniform.

It would be an interesting to learn about the different uniform styles. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the V-type pull overs are a fairly recent WT-inspired (late 80s?) to differentiate their TKD. As a matter of fact, without checking into it, I would almost bet on it.

quote:

The 4 breaks I outlined are *generally* the only ones we do in competition and testing from what I know. Keep in mind I'm also still in my first year, so there might be some REAL ULTIMATE POWER stuff that unlocks when you get higher and in different classes. During testing, we do them all in a sequence in testing in order: front kick, down palm strike, down elbow, side kick. All colored belts do these but the time limit is shorter at higher ranks and also higher ranks (brown or red and up) have to vary the actual kick with either a jump front kick or spin side or jump spin side. I'm gonna try to find a video of one of these.
I think I might have mentioned to you but we don't actually do board breaks as a test requisite until black stripe -> Dan, so a color belt breaking "real" boards is kind of novel to me. How thick are your boards? Or is it always the plastic ones? What are the younger members expected to break?

Speaking of, the BB that did that back kick in the vid I linked earlier just replied to me, it was indeed 7x 1" boards (probably closer to ~.8" actual each)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Christ I REALLY want to go to class tonight after talking about all this

That's how you know your enthusiasm is in a good spot, that some discussion makes you want to get back to training.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

kimbo305 posted:

That's how you know your enthusiasm is in a good spot, that some discussion makes you want to get back to training.

Man I’d go every day if I could.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I totally feel that.

Actually an interesting question for anyone: How often do you train? How often can you train?

Between our main school and our satellite location, I *could* train up to 7 times a normal, non holiday week. Every day except Sunday and with a double/sparring class Weds. And I have, but it's just not sustainable for me...My body just can't handle it for more than a week or two... so I've gotten in a groove of 5. Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sat,

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Depends on what else is going on. Due to kids, if it's during the school year, my son and I usually go twice a week on Monday night and Saturday morning/noon. When school's out, we'd take Wednesday night classes as well. I've taken a couple of the noon weekday classes which are taught by our head instructor's wife usually and are absolutely soul crushingly brutal. She's a bb in TKD, but I think her primary interests are actually kickboxing and crossfit type stuff and she works that into classes and I am absolutely NOT ready for that.

As a side note, she does a Thanksgiving morning workout that a sort of "12 days of xmas" type thing where there are 12 routines. First you do #1, then you do 2&1, then 3,2, and 1, and so on until you've done them all. I absolutely was NOT ready for it this year, but one of my 2022 goals is to be in good enough shape to complete it.

Our adult schedule is night classes on Mon & Wed, noon classes on Tues & Thurs, then a combined 16 and up/adult class on Saturday at noon. Sunday is a grappling class that I haven't been able to attend yet. Friday is for an exclusive black belt only class as well as a thing they call XT or XP or something that's basically like a sort of...man I dunno, like gymnastics mixed with capoeria or something maybe? They also call it "tricking" which is a really dumb name, but it looks super cool. They do a bunch flashy weapon drills and flips, spinny kicks,
cartwheels, and that kind of thing. My son has been bugging us about doing it, and the instructors think he'd be really good at it, so I think we're going to give it a go maybe.

edit: since I suck at explaining it, here's a video from one of the guys that teaches it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY8b6taouOc

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Tricking is the proper name for it, yeah. It's a thing, you see it all over the place in modern action film choreography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricking_(martial_arts)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 15, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh no poo poo! Also confirmed that it has roots in gymnastics and capoeira, so I feel a little better about making that description. Apparently there's a sorta big convention or something coming up in New Orleans soon, so I think we're going to let him go to that and learn crazy poo poo while the wife and I have a date night in the French Quarter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Been training/working out next to nothing the past 2 weeks and man, I can feel it. Eating/drinking during the holidays is going to make the first few training sessions rough. Omicron will almost certainly be shutting down my main training location next week (out of a grade school gym in the evening) but our main club owned school will be open for adults starting Weds.

Been nice resting the foot though, which is a reason I've been purposely not to working out at home. Hopefully give the fascitis a chance to heal.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Glad you're on the mend. I'm back to class tomorrow and in my downtime, my plan was to at least keep up with core workouts and NOPE didn't happen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of any articles, reviews, blog posts etc about the dark comedy The Art of Self Defense from a MMA/TMA perspective? My coach recommended it to me, I loved it, but the reviews I'm finding online, from slate, WaPo, Roger Ebert, etc; don't seem to fully engage with the movie the way I think someone who actually trains might.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone know of any articles, reviews, blog posts etc about the dark comedy The Art of Self Defense from a MMA/TMA perspective? My coach recommended it to me, I loved it, but the reviews I'm finding online, from slate, WaPo, Roger Ebert, etc; don't seem to fully engage with the movie the way I think someone who actually trains might.

Jack Slack said something positive about that movie on a podcast a while back. Can't remember details.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack said something positive about that movie on a podcast a while back. Can't remember details.

I'm not familiar with him, but a quick Google search suggests I should be, I'll check it out, and maybe also this collection of essays, thanks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think there's much material there to do an analysis of any technique presented. I would say it takes a lot of liberties with how quickly the protagonist gets better and how effective he is.
The martial arts school is more of a cult as it is a place to learn fighting, and I could see how someone who hasn't done a TMA might not be able to differentiate the two.

Besides a minor dose of "you can't use this stuff on the street," I don't think the movie makes much commentary on what it is you would be learning from taking a martial art. That's my two cents -- it uses the auspices of a formal training hierarchy to play out the cult relationship dynamics, but it doesn't focus that much on TMA. Though what little it does, I could easily see someone who hasn't trained not being able to separate from the cult stuff.

e: put another way -- what would you expect the reviewers with some training to say differently? The degree to which a beginning student is or isn't stepping out of bounds with his drills and sparring? I suppose that is an important perspective -- I think I did that when I watched it with my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

e: put another way -- what would you expect the reviewers with some training to say differently?

The send up of gym culture specifically. The reviews I've read aren't bad, and engage well with the movie in its larger themes of violence, self defense, and toxic masculinity, but some of the jokes that landed best with me are specific to the training. Like, how obsessed he is with his yellow belt.

I want to clarify I wasn't at all hoping for a technique critique of the fights or anything.