Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Pissing me off:

The SSD system drive in my home PC poo poo the bed Saturday morning, so I spent all weekend reinstalling and resetting up the system.

drat drive was only 6 months old, but started throwing read errors and hardlocking the system despite SMART reporting it as good. Couldn't even image it to a new drive, had to reinstall windows as a start from scratch install.
Samsung EVO 870 500GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

870?

I had a 970 EVO fail in the same manner. Caught it early enough that I could grab another m.2 drive and mirror the install to that before it croaked.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, 870.

I think it's basically the same drive as the 970, just in the SATA HDD form factor instead of m.2

Edit: really sucks because the only spare I had on hand was a slow-rear end spinning disk. Need to order up a new SSD and re-mirror.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 13, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m now being castigated for sharing too many details about our tech stack in the #security channel

Apparently the ES version we’re on is “need to know” information

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should definitely increase the resume spreading.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've got about 30 work-hours left at $shitjob :yotj:

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I actually had good luck setting up and then training people to use Microsoft’s Report Message button

That works well until one angry person on a distribution list starts reporting voicemail messages....

I'm sorry $client, the only way to fix them is to report them as not spam. Sure, give me, the UC person, a 1 out of 10 on the satisfaction survey.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

The current period in time is of course well known for its ability to supply laptops quickly

One day I'll find that mythical trove of laptops and HD screens my management keeps referring to when I ask approval for buying new stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Check users' desks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m now being castigated for sharing too many details about our tech stack in the #security channel

Apparently the ES version we’re on is “need to know” information

Spend your time doing only tasks that have been explicitly requested, use remaining time for remote job hunting. You provided your point multiple times and got ignored, you won’t get a prize for ruining your health while attempting to save them from their mistakes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am so sick of having to deal with this guy's Outlook every couple days.

Like dude, you have like 200GB of attachments and 17 years of email per your own account. It's slow, It doesn't load. Ya man you hitched a full tractor trailer to a Corolla. What did you think was going to happen?

There's a business need for him to keep this poo poo due to audits, so it isn't the usual email magpie saving every all hands wellness pamphlet because THEY MIGHT WANT IT LATER, but he clearly needs a document system beyond Outlook and PSTs. Any ideas? These are architectural drawings and plans in PDFs mostly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a business need to keep data for audits, there's no requirement for it to be in some guys inbox. Set an archive lifecycle on that mailbox.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Security recently had everyone redo the security 101 training, including the how to spot fake URLS like http://hsbcbank.passwordreset.ng. They also recently implemented URL defence so every URL in an email now looks like https://urldefence.com/https%58%47%47legitdomain.com%47blah which completely invalidates their own training.

On the same day they pushed out the new mandatory training, someone decided to turn on O365's version of this service, so now every URL in an email looks something like https://protect.outlook.com/https%58%47%47urldefence.com%3747https%3758%3747%3747legitdomain.com%3747blah

I honestly can't blame the users for getting confused by it.

They also set everyone's account with the new training company to have the same password and included that password in the mass mail.

I may have accidentally reported the mass mail as spam and when pulled up on that said "it looked fake, surely a legit request wouldn't involve mass mailing the same password to the entire company?"

Lum fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 14, 2021

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So it turns out that if you offshore all your development, questions regarding security vulnerability remediation take 24 hours to answer. Who could have predicted that?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I am so sick of having to deal with this guy's Outlook every couple days.

Like dude, you have like 200GB of attachments and 17 years of email per your own account. It's slow, It doesn't load. Ya man you hitched a full tractor trailer to a Corolla. What did you think was going to happen?

There's a business need for him to keep this poo poo due to audits, so it isn't the usual email magpie saving every all hands wellness pamphlet because THEY MIGHT WANT IT LATER, but he clearly needs a document system beyond Outlook and PSTs. Any ideas? These are architectural drawings and plans in PDFs mostly.

There are cold storage systems for email, where it pulls the older emails off of the Outlook server, but retains them, and they're searchable in Outlook, albeit using a plug-in and a bit slower than searching regular Outlook.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SlowBloke posted:

Spend your time doing only tasks that have been explicitly requested, use remaining time for remote job hunting. You provided your point multiple times and got ignored, you won’t get a prize for ruining your health while attempting to save them from their mistakes.

I already have two offers, one of which is at least a 50% bump and the other which I hope matches it :v:

I’m pretty sure I’ll be making more than the security director by the end of it. Not that that’s a good measure of worth obviously, but it’ll give me petty satisfaction.

I’ve never been one to burn bridges, but on the plus side this means there’s no real consequence for being a pain in her neck about this either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey, there's a lot to be said for petty satisfaction.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So it turns out that if you offshore all your development, questions regarding security vulnerability remediation take 24 hours to answer. Who could have predicted that?

The answers are probably great once you get them

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Got a new work laptop, I hate the keyboard. It has the half-height up and down arrows and full height left and right arrows.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Check users' desks.

The crap on our users desks is only slightly better than the crap we have in stock. These high-spec laptops and super-duper HD screens exist only in the imagination of management.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AWS is having issues again

Also we are having like 50mph wind gusts today so the power will probably go out too

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

AWS is having issues again

Also we are having like 50mph wind gusts today so the power will probably go out too

Yep, just noticed Twitch is down. Its been a tough week or two for the IT crew,

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

incoherent posted:

us-west-2 supremacy

looking forward to the us-central outage next week

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time to move everything back onto Dell tower servers running Small Business Server next to the break room

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Dell tower servers running Small Business Server next to the bathroom

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

Time to move everything back onto Dell tower servers running Small Business Server next to the unfinished basement that's prone to sewer backups.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Time to move everything back onto Dell tower servers running Small Business Server in the boiler room that is constantly 90+ degrees

Weedle
May 31, 2006

extremely informed c-level: "but backups are good, right?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Y'all laugh, but I'd like to remind you guys that I once worked for a place that kept the servers in a damp storeroom in a basement that had a drain in the center that the owner would piss into because he was too fat and lazy to go upstairs to the bathrooms.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We would literally tell new hires about "the pee hole"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks Ants posted:
Dell tower servers running Small Business Server in the bathroom

edit: gently caress, beaten

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Time to move everything back onto Dell tower servers running Small Business Server in the broom closet that was subsequently bricked over and forgotten about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hey, if you can't physically access the servers, it's basically the cloud!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

ConfusedUs posted:

Y'all laugh, but I'd like to remind you guys that I once worked for a place that kept the servers in a damp storeroom in a basement that had a drain in the center that the owner would piss into because he was too fat and lazy to go upstairs to the bathrooms.

I also remember sirotan talking about a 'spec bucket' if we're regailing old stories. :getin:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Time to move everything back onto Dell tower servers running Small Business Server next to the break room

I thought it ended up being a Netware server in those stores

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I also remember sirotan talking about a 'spec bucket' if we're regailing old stories. :getin:

That is still my favourite story out of everything I've read on these forums, and I still occasionally relay it whenever someone mentions they're considering a job in healthcare IT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Imagine being so stupid you type something up in Microsoft Word and then print it out then take a picture of it and send it to everyone in the company

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Imagine being so stupid you type something up in Microsoft Word and then print it out then take a picture of it and send it to everyone in the company

But the snipping tool is moving!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Computer wouldn't turn on earlier this morning. I hit the power button a bunch of times nothing happened. Unplugged then replugged everything. Then like an hour later it turned on by itself. Annoyingh