Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

bird food bathtub posted:

The magnetic poles, as in the things compasses respond to and that generate earth's magnetic field, switch every few hundred thousand years (from memory) due to ongoing processes in the planetary core that are not understood yet to the best of my recollection. The weather poles, as in where the cold air is/stays, are 1000% straight hosed and it's due to man-made climate change destabilizing the atmosphere.

The magnetic pole reversal and structure of the earth's core fascinates me because it's one of those annoying science problems we could solve in a week if we could look at it, but we can't, even though if you look down right now it's literally a few thousand miles under you.

The geographic poles, yeh, we've melted those, the bad news hasn't caught up with our perception of time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first Matrix was a pretty predictable plotted, mediocrely written, but tried to make up for it with SFX. It didn't work on me. The choice to tinge everything a sickly green didn't translate well off movie screens at the time. The whole thing was overhyped to Hell because of SFX, and rewatching it a few years ago, it mentally went into the same category as Armageddon- dumb brain candy that doesn't hold up to any critical application.

The 2 sequels were worse.

I think the 1st movie is a beautiful allegory for transitioning, but without that context it's a garbage summer movie.

I'll have 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, and a baked potato.

E- because I word gooder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't know if I care about the new Matrix, but Keanu continue to be the man, so honestly I'll watch it for him.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Climate change has destabilized the Earth’s poles, putting the rest of the planet in peril
New research shows how rising temperatures have irreversibly altered both the Arctic and Antarctic. Ripple effects will be felt around the globe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/12/14/climate-change-arctic-antarctic-poles/

I’m pretty sure this is a plot point in Damnation Alley.

This seems worse:

quote:

These weak spots are like cracks in a windshield, said Oregon State University glaciologist Erin Pettit. One more blow and they could spiderweb across the entire ice shelf surface.

“This eastern ice shelf is likely to shatter into hundreds of icebergs,” she said. “Suddenly the whole thing would collapse.”

The failure of the shelf would not immediately accelerate global sea level rise. The shelf already floats on the ocean surface, taking up the same amount of space whether it is solid or liquid.

But when the shelf fails, the eastern third of Thwaites Glacier will triple in speed, spitting formerly landlocked ice into the sea. Total collapse of Thwaites could result in several feet of sea level rise, scientists say, endangering millions of people in coastal areas.

Oh, word?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know if I care about the new Matrix, but Keanu continue to be the man, so honestly I'll watch it for him.

I went to go see John Wick because they released a free DLC for Payday 2 and I didn't *quite* get the Keanu thing.

I'll go see Matrix 4/1.5 on opening night.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

mlmp08 posted:

I’m also a Speed Racer fan. The Wachowskis own, and its visuals are amazing.

That film and Tron Legacy are the only two movies I'm really looking forward to seeing in 4K with HDR because I know both of them will absolutely kick my eyeballs asses.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Love to get all the bad poo poo from Red Mars without any of the beneficial aspects.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, again its not the magnetic poles, its the ice itself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the lighter side of things.

quote:

Cuomo Is Ordered to Forfeit $5.1 Million in Book Earnings

The ex-governor ran afoul of ethics laws in writing a book focused on his leadership during the pandemic, a state panel had previously found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/nyregion/andrew-cuomo-book.html?referringSource=articleShare

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s not a fear of needles. Every anti-vax person regarding covid is someone who has received every other vaccine that is routine in America.

It’s entirely culture war poo poo.

Guy a work with's brother is 40 years old and a runner. He got the vaccine and then had to get a pacemaker. Obviously I don't know all the details, but the guy is convinced the vaccine gave his brother heart problems that required him to get a pacemaker.

Is that culture war poo poo?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

Guy a work with's brother is 40 years old and a runner. He got the vaccine and then had to get a pacemaker. Obviously I don't know all the details, but the guy is convinced the vaccine gave his brother heart problems that required him to get a pacemaker.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Good luck convincing anti-vaxxers of this. They’ll push that up and run with it :dadjoke:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Good luck convincing anti-vaxxers of this. They’ll push that up and run with it :dadjoke:

Never said I could. But the problem is we've been fed commercialized pseudoscience for decades and its coming back to haunt us.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

PeterCat posted:

It's possible but unlikely that it was a vaccine reaction, but if it was it's the result of taking a die that comes up snake eyes one time in ten million and rolling it 150 million times. The rational thing to do is compare that to the COVID death toll and decide what risk you want to run, but there's a shitload of people who look at the two risks and say "eh, these are more or less equal, imma take my chance with the disease because vaccinations are scary."

My boomer dad basically told me that verbatim. He was in the Army during Vietnam so he has the story of the assembly line of vaccinations and getting shot up with like ten of them and it not being a big deal, but the conservative internet has taken over his brain.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Notahippie posted:

It's possible but unlikely that it was a vaccine reaction, but if it was it's the result of taking a die that comes up snake eyes one time in ten million and rolling it 150 million times. The rational thing to do is compare that to the COVID death toll and decide what risk you want to run, but there's a shitload of people who look at the two risks and say "eh, these are more or less equal, imma take my chance with the disease because vaccinations are scary."

My boomer dad basically told me that verbatim. He was in the Army during Vietnam so he has the story of the assembly line of vaccinations and getting shot up with like ten of them and it not being a big deal, but the conservative internet has taken over his brain.

There was a really good lecture by a british virologist on our radio when I was a kid, which annoyingly I don't think is available anywhere now, where he talked about the risk of taking a vaccine vs not getting it (20 years ago our media was a lot more grown up). He put it out simply, if you take the shot you've probably got a 1 in 1 million chance of your immune system going boom, happens, that's life. If you don't get the shot and the disease is everywhere, depending on what it is, you might have a 1 in 100 chance of dying or being disabled.

Basically, get the bloody shot. Explaining that is hard though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Human brains are dumb as poo poo though. "I know this guy who got a vax and then [bad thing]" sticks in our primate brain much better than an entire page of statistical calculations. Basically "one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" is how we think.

This is like the tip of the iceberg on this, but I'm doing 10 things right now: https://blog.rewardian.com/blog/2016/09/21/data-told-as-a-story-is-more-memorable-than-on-its-own-research-finds No idea what Rewardian is, but Chip Heath is a known researcher of this stuff. I use his ideas/work in fundraising all the time. Tell stories, then give numbers that back them up, basically.

Edit: Also, relatability is huge. The more someone is like you or known to you, the more you will believe what they say. So "my coworker's brother" that had a 1/1 million shot thing happen is more relatable to you than the 40 year old widow on TV in tears begging everyone to get vaxed because she just watched her husband die. Our brains are dumb, and nowhere near as logical as we'd like to think they are.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2021

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Pretty much. It’s a justification for views he already holds, inflamed by mass media hysteria.
If I went and bopped a few million forty year old men on the head with an inflatable alligator, one or more of them would shortly thereafter develop heart problems that required a pacemaker. This does not mean that my Alligatoridaen assault on their person caused this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’m pretty sure this is a plot point in Damnation Alley.

That is such a good bad movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That is such a good bad movie.

It's certainly something. The funny part is that it kind of opens like a serious thriller....and then giant cockroaches and the trip to safety in BUFFALO or somewhere goofy. Can't believe I stayed up till 4:00 PM one weekend just to finish it. Then again it was on badmovies.org, so I had to watch it after I read the reviews of it a bunch of times.

Also in Chaos Reigns news:
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1470786141389533184?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It's certainly something. The funny part is that it kind of opens like a serious thriller....and then giant cockroaches and the trip to safety in BUFFALO or somewhere goofy. Can't believe I stayed up till 4:00 PM one weekend just to finish it. Then again it was on badmovies.org, so I had to watch it after I read the reviews of it a bunch of times.

Also in Chaos Reigns news:
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1470786141389533184?s=20

Gee, I wonder why the GOP is concerned about voter Fraud when they keep doing it.....:thunk:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

That film and Tron Legacy are the only two movies I'm really looking forward to seeing in 4K with HDR because I know both of them will absolutely kick my eyeballs asses.

I saw tron 2 in 3d on ecstasy. It was amazing. I don't remember any of the night

Stravag fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 14, 2021

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CommieGIR posted:

Gee, I wonder why the GOP is concerned about voter Fraud when they keep doing it.....:thunk:

Perhaps the same reason why they think all of the Democrats are pedophiles... :thunk:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I liked this movie when I first saw it, but it hasn't aged well because the Gary Stu protagonist is just so loving unlikable.

"Waaah, I lost my daddy but I've never wanted for anything in my life hey look at my Ducati, hipster storage container pad (years before it was hip, beeteedubz), free real estate, and how I don't do time for base jumping off a building, running from cops, and hacking a company I don't run. Oh yeah, I also dropped out of my free ride at MIT because I'm edgy like that. I also have zero game with women even though I look like I was grown in a vat of pulped-down Men's Health magazines."

Really *pretty* movie, though. I would've liked to have seen more of Michael Sheen's character.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bad Poster posted:

Perhaps the same reason why they think all of the Democrats are pedophiles... :thunk:

I just can't wait until Gaetz is pardoned by President Desantis

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I liked this movie when I first saw it, but it hasn't aged well because the Gary Stu protagonist is just so loving unlikable.

"Waaah, I lost my daddy but I've never wanted for anything in my life hey look at my Ducati, hipster storage container pad, free real estate, and how I don't do time for base jumping off a building, running from cops, and hacking a company I don't run. Oh yeah, I also dropped out of my free ride at MIT because I'm edgy like that. I also have zero game with women even though I look like I was grown in a vat of pulped-down Men's Health magazines."

Really *pretty* movie, though. I would've liked to have seen more of Michael Sheen's character.

Counterpoint: Olivia Wilde is super hot in that movie.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Counterpoint: Olivia Wilde is super hot in that movie.

:agreed:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I just can't wait until Gaetz is pardoned by President Desantis

gently caress you for putting this out in the world.

Besides it’s going to be President Rubio

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nystral posted:

gently caress you for putting this out in the world.

Besides it’s going to be President Rubio

President Cotton

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sooooo.... loving gigantic security hole in a Java logging library that allows remote arbitrary code execution.

Yeah, that Java. The one that tells you how many billions of devices it runs on.

Pretty sure I want to stick with networking and not do cyber security as a primary job function and this stuff is why.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I dunno with the new Matrix. I would like to have seen the universe explored more without Keanu mostly because it seemed like his story was over. I am hoping that since Keanu is back that the Wachowski's have something special and unique planned to explain it. Or maybe the suits in Hollywood just threw a bucket of money at them! We will see!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wrong Theory posted:

I dunno with the new Matrix. I would like to have seen the universe explored more without Keanu mostly because it seemed like his story was over. I am hoping that since Keanu is back that the Wachowski's have something special and unique planned to explain it. Or maybe the suits in Hollywood just threw a bucket of money at them! We will see!

It's only Lana and someone else (not her sister though). They actually did explore what happened after the third film in The Matrix Online game, I think it takes place after the 3rd one and Neo is missing. But you might want to check a wiki for that as I only vaguely remember it.

Honestly, I just hate how it keeps resetting and there is no real ending. I'll still never fully get into the "oh poor robots" thing, since they're machines and I'm just never going to buy into it (this is also true with Mass Effect...but that's more because Joker just wants to bang a robot). Then again that's because of Terminator and also how it always goes wrong and it's tied to someone wanted to bang their machine or something equally dumb (like let it control SAC). I also have the same issues with the Planet of the Apes movies. I'll fully admit to these all being weird takes (well not the resetting part).

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Sooooo.... loving gigantic security hole in a Java logging library that allows remote arbitrary code execution.

Yeah, that Java. The one that tells you how many billions of devices it runs on.

Pretty sure I want to stick with networking and not do cyber security as a primary job function and this stuff is why.

This one is hilarious, that library is used by just about any large scale java software so it might as well be a standard library. You can make it load code from a location of your choosing with zero effort. People will be exfiltrating data via that for the next decade, 'cause are you entirely sure that one box on your network doing enterprise reporting on something dumb isn't running it? Bet it does.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Between that and the Kronos ransom ware I’m getting g the security guys extra coffee.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woodchip posted:

Between that and the Kronos ransom ware I’m getting g the security guys extra coffee.

Is that what happened with Kronos? Ha, they told us today that we were back to paper timekeeping and hoping it would be fixed soon

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Woodchip posted:

I just started* a job running cloudcyber for a fortune 50 healthcare/energy/aviation conglomerate and I'm SO looking forward to the next 3 weeks of meetings running from 530am-530pm about remediations.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 15, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Immanentized posted:

remediations.

please dont say this word. I am so tired of this word

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CommieGIR posted:

Case in point the trial for the kid's vaccine which included one report of "swallowed a penny".

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Woodchip posted:

Whiskey would be preferred. Maybe a nice rum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Case in point the trial for the kid's vaccine which included one report of "swallowed a penny".

Moderna’s trial had someone get struck by lightning.

quote:

As of December 6, 2020, there were 3 SAEs reported in the vaccine group: a 65-year-old participant with community acquired pneumonia 25 days after vaccination, a 72-year-old participant with arrhythmia after being struck by lightning 28 days after vaccination, and an 87- year-old participant with worsening of chronic bradycardia 45 days after vaccination. On FDA review of the narratives, none of these SAEs are assessed as related. There were no cases of severe COVID-19 reported in the study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Moderna’s trial had someone get struck by lightning.

The people need to know all of the vaccine's side effects.