Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

FatalFarm also produced the best robocop media.

I actually got distracted rewatching that and forgot to edit it into my post lol

e- oops didn't realize this would auto embed it's :nws: due to a lot of exploding dicks

https://tinyurl.com/yc24cpj8

The United States posted:

If you were a kid growing up back then I assume you would not be reading the newspaper comics (because seriously who reads newspaper comics? not kids) and your familiarity with garfield would primarily come from the merch (school supplies, t-shirts, stickers, stuffed animals, etc.) and maybe watching the cartoons/tv specials, which are all about garfield and not jon. So going back and actually reading a whole bunch of the newspaper comics and seeing how much they are about jon would be a real surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8

I read the Sunday comics sometimes because my dad pulled them out to hang onto for bathroom reading (I never understood why the story kept jumping around so much in Brenda Starr and Dick Tracy) but my school book fairs definitely had a lot of collected editions of old Garfield comics I'd [ask my parents to] buy, too. Sometimes they'd do reprints of the much older collections with Lyman and poo poo in them. It wouldn't surprise me with Super Eyepatch Wolf being outside the US if he didn't get much besides rebroadcasts of the cartoon though.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jon is still very much a loser in the cartoon though, basically every moment of him on screen is about how uncool and dorky he is

it's just that the show also crammed in other characters like the buddy bears, the clown, US Acres, etc so a lot of stuff happened outside the house and 1/3rd of each episode was not even Garfield

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jon Arbuckle (Garfield) You're Gonna Go Far Kid AMV

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Never ceases to make me laugh and cringe. Basically turns me into the real life version of the "death by snoo snoo reaction" gif from Futurama.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I still sing that to myself when that stupid jingle of a song comes on. And at random. That one was taken down for the dumbest reason (because of the fake "breakfast with Garfield" contest at the end from what I understand)

Hilariously, that was the only video Paws inc. took down.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arbite posted:

By all accounts jim Davis is a pretty good sport about most things as long as they don’t directly gently caress with his meal ticket, which makes sense given how Garfield is an explicitly mercenary enterprise and his open, singular motivation was to make a shitload of money.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
https://vimeo.com/209742142
This one will always be my favorite of the first batch, shame it got permanently muted on YouTube

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

By all accounts jim Davis is a pretty good sport about most things as long as they don’t directly gently caress with his meal ticket, which makes sense given how Garfield is an explicitly mercenary enterprise and his open, singular motivation was to make a shitload of money.

He also played with some stranger and darker ideas with the His 9 Lives series and those comics where Garfield hallucinates being abandoned, so he clearly doesn't mind these getting weird with it either. Actually this is why I'm not that interested in SEW's video, because what the internet did to Garfield is really an expansion on what Jim Davis had already done to Garfield.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I still rewatch this one every so often. Its a perfect parody.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The United States posted:

If you were a kid growing up back then I assume you would not be reading the newspaper comics (because seriously who reads newspaper comics? not kids) and your familiarity with garfield would primarily come from the merch (school supplies, t-shirts, stickers, stuffed animals, etc.) and maybe watching the cartoons/tv specials, which are all about garfield and not jon. So going back and actually reading a whole bunch of the newspaper comics and seeing how much they are about jon would be a real surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8

I just turned 33 and i grew up on Garfield & Friends.. Along with Pinky & The Brain, it was by far the most important children's cartoon for little me. And it's still amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbL-uxd4ZVw&t=243s

My memory of the cartoon is that it did focus on Jon occasionally, and the Christmas Special is great for (among other things) giving us a view of Jon's country family.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 14, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i should watch the first roblox video bc i heard it was better than this one, which describes an online marketplace for virtual items as gambling and has a weird example where he shows how easy it is for kids to spend (fake) currency

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Isn't the fake currency purchased with real currency?

:E: And can apparently somehow be transferred back into real money? Not sure about that part.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't the fake currency purchased with real currency?

:E: And can apparently somehow be transferred back into real money? Not sure about that part.

my understanding is this: there is one currency you can earn in game or just outright buy. buying currency causes a little popup asking if youre sure.
the currency you earn in game is from making games for Roblox, so these kids are literally making the content for company scrip lol

the exchange rate is $0.0125 robux = 1 dollar. i think the fact kids are being used as labor is way more concerning than the stuff in this vid, which seems a confused on its mission statement

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arbite posted:

Didn't they put it back up with the address blurred out? Seems pretty reasonable to me that Paws Inc didn't want a pile of junk mail.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

FatalFarm also produced the best robocop media.

Was wild when I found out they'd made lasanga cat. I'd seen their Duck Tales and Zoobilee Zoo videos before.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Did Ironicus and Chip mention they weren't doing Dogs Must Die until the new year?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samovar posted:

Did Ironicus and Chip mention they weren't doing Dogs Must Die until the new year?
Grant sometimes posts here, but I don't think the last episode mentioned that break, sometimes it just takes a while for stuff to get posted

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The thing about Jon is that while he's always portrayed as the biggest loser in the comic strip and the spin=off cartoons, most people didn't really pick up on just how sad a life he leads. A big part of it is because, as the SEW video points out, the audience is always privy to Garfield's thoughts which gives off the impression that Jon has something resembling a rapport going with another character and it kind of makes the audience contextualize Jon as "That guy Garfield plays off of" rather than a character in his own right. Even the fact that all of Garfield's responses are just him thinking at Jon is kind of underplayed in the source material: I remember as a kid it took me a while of watching the show and reading the comics to realize Garfield couldn't actually talk and we were just listening to his thoughts.

Also we kind of have the context of looking at the strip with post-Garfield-as-meme eyes. I remember that when the "Edit Garfield Strips to remove his thought balloons" thread was first active on here (And this was pre-2008, before Garfield really became a meme) there were a lot of people posting about how they didn't realize just how sad and pathetic Jon's life was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

The newest episode is already up on my smart watch app but not the normal podcast websites yet. Give it a bit, I'm sure it's coming.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Caravan of Garbage on Spider-man (Japanese)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UkKP42jrI

Might want to watch it sharpish in case Toei take it down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The episode went up yesterday on Podcast Addict, I don't know what apps you folks are using.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lumpy's Gorefield videos are very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqUDt3K5Mk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Sandwich posted:

He also played with some stranger and darker ideas with the His 9 Lives series and those comics where Garfield hallucinates being abandoned, so he clearly doesn't mind these getting weird with it either. Actually this is why I'm not that interested in SEW's video, because what the internet did to Garfield is really an expansion on what Jim Davis had already done to Garfield.

Yeah, I was reading the strip in the newspapers when Garfield awoke to find he was the only living being possibly left on earth and... there was no joke. It was just one of Garfield's night terrors, I guess. The 9 Lives series was also wild as one of Garfield's lives ends on him about to brutally murder an old blind woman.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I played a lot of Ocarina of Time and learned a lot of the ins and outs, though I didn’t get into all the crazy bugs the game has. I think I had the version that came after the gold cartridge that still hadn’t fixed all that.

Still, I think I learned something from that Running Shine video. I don’t recall knowing that ReDeads we’re blind so you could quietly tiptoe past them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BizarroAzrael posted:

Caravan of Garbage on Spider-man (Japanese)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UkKP42jrI

Might want to watch it sharpish in case Toei take it down.
I'm sure they touch on it in the video but Japanese Spiderman and his giant robot Leopardon being the origin of Super Sentai/Power Rangers having giant robots to fight giant versions of the monsters of the week always blows my mind

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Bit of a tangent, but seeing Garfield get absorbed and reinterpreted by internet culture has me wonder about the longevity of its contemporary, Calvin and Hobbes. Do the books still pick up new readers, people who weren't millennials that grew up reading the comic?

Mind you, I feel like C&H is a subject more resistant to memetic mutation than Garfield. Jim Davis wanted to make a profitable comic with the widest possible audience, so he kept his own voice muted so the comic could be all things to all people. C&H by contrast was very much a vehicle for Bill Watterson to ruminate and reflect upon the world, and as such all the characters and themes are tied to his particular viewpoint. Garfield was designed to be plastic enough that you can easily reshape him into an eldritch horror or a sassy goth girl; you can't do the same to Hobbes without feeling like something is wrong, that you're violating the spirit of his character somehow.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

In SpoonyNews™, Spoony has a new dog and seems happy.

That is all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how much of the difference can be attributed to the writing alone and how much is just because of how pervasive Garfield is. Jim Davis engineered a media and merchandise empire while Bill Watterson is a hermit who breaks into hives if Calvin appears on a T-Shirt. Davis openly embraces his lunatic fanbase so long as they buy his poo poo and Watterson's primary hobby is refusing to give interviews.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Calvin and Hobbes doesn't need memetic potential to stay relevant because it's still Very Good and fresh, every now and then I see a strip get RTd on Twitter a lot without any alterations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Calvin peeing on things was a pre internet (bootleg) meme

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

That is all.

When the topic last talked about him I looked him up on twitter and saw that his little pup died and felt bad. That little doggo was adorbs on the video he showed up in.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

TeamFourStar's DBCember started yesterday and will be the last one they do. This year, Lanipator and KaiserNeko are joined by Totally Not Mark for their top 12 Dragon Ball sagas.

Number 12 (skip to 6:53 if you don't care for the intro skit or ad read):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bR3sWD7cI

Number 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBhZr7Y0omM

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

StealthArcher posted:

That is all.

I'm glad he's doing okay. :unsmith:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Genthil posted:

TeamFourStar's DBCember started yesterday and will be the last one they do. This year, Lanipator and KaiserNeko are joined by Totally Not Mark for their top 12 Dragon Ball sagas.

Number 12 (skip to 6:53 if you don't care for the intro skit or ad read):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bR3sWD7cI

Number 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBhZr7Y0omM

Haven't gotten around to watching these yet, but I gotta assume these were recorded before Toei nuked Mark's channel

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Marshal Radisic posted:

Bit of a tangent, but seeing Garfield get absorbed and reinterpreted by internet culture has me wonder about the longevity of its contemporary, Calvin and Hobbes. Do the books still pick up new readers, people who weren't millennials that grew up reading the comic?

Mind you, I feel like C&H is a subject more resistant to memetic mutation than Garfield. Jim Davis wanted to make a profitable comic with the widest possible audience, so he kept his own voice muted so the comic could be all things to all people. C&H by contrast was very much a vehicle for Bill Watterson to ruminate and reflect upon the world, and as such all the characters and themes are tied to his particular viewpoint. Garfield was designed to be plastic enough that you can easily reshape him into an eldritch horror or a sassy goth girl; you can't do the same to Hobbes without feeling like something is wrong, that you're violating the spirit of his character somehow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s always the pissing Calvin decal as well, though it’s rightly understood as a perversion of everything the comic represents.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's very impressive how Watterson resisted any merch but comic collections when he could have been as omnipresent as Garfield if he'd wanted.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In "things I didn't know people online may not be aware of" apparently inside a mind only just discovered chuck tingle and got him on their twitch stream for a short interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B8pKW7J0eY

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

StealthArcher posted:

That is all.

Hey, he actually followed my suggestion! I'm taking full credit for this. :smugbird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

YggiDee posted:

The episode went up yesterday on Podcast Addict, I don't know what apps you folks are using.

Player.fm

I actually have no idea if this is a poo poo app or not.