Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

I saw that thread by EvilCleverDog last night and it really does come across as some mild-ish criticism, while perhaps not realizing that the first intro for the other campaigns were done with zero consideration for the setting and this one was probably no different.

Also, it's funny when you then take into consideration that the first cosplay picture is of her dressed up in garb clearly inspired by the Roman military, the OG colonizers/pillagers/murderers whose activities and effects are still being studied and unearthed* today.

*I only know this because my SO is a Latin teacher who recently showed me an article about previously unknown Roman sites being found in Northern England just a few months ago

You should tell your SO to check out momllennial_ on tiktok or just google her. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That twitter shitstorm is full of fun stuff. There's even a lady saying they have enough money now to hire sensitivity writers for the show. Another how they're stealing cultures for their own use.

Do you even D&D.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Philthy posted:

That twitter shitstorm is full of fun stuff. There's even a lady saying they have enough money now to hire sensitivity writers for the show. Another how they're stealing cultures for their own use.

Do you even D&D.
No. No they don't.

Low key I respect Brian for telling the fanbase to go touch grass.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Brian should not be sending a mob of a rabid fanbase at people who say that something makes them uncomfortable.

That's literally all that started this dumb poo poo. Someone saying that something made them uncomfortable, not a call to action, not any direct attacks just uncomfortable....

Just wildly different power dynamics.

Also Matt literally does work with sensitivity consultants when prepping and designing the game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's only going to get worse now that he's not affiliated with CR and can't be reprimanded. If they actually did let him go, they probably should have kept him on in some capacity just so they could reign him in a bit.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The fanbase seems to have reached a point where Matt is basically going to get yelled at by the twitter maelstrom no matter what he does. If he uses the SWANA cultural influences he's said he was inspired by for Marquet, a howling mob will accuse him of using racist caricatures and harmful stereotypes, but if he goes in the opposite direction and tries to avoid those things the same mob will accuse him of whitewashing the SWANA influences the region "should" have.

Fandom, not even once

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You should tell your SO to check out momllennial_ on tiktok or just google her. ;)
Oh believe me I've already sent her into that house of mirrors.

She did not thank me :smith:

The look on her face, however, was fantastic.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 14, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Moose King posted:

Fandom, not even once

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Doublepost, but the fandom stuff is bothering me today apparently?

In addition to wondering if the fandom has ever actually played D&D, I'm also wondering if the fandom has ever been improv trained. One of the first things you learn with that skillset is to not expect the writer's room / scripted content quality from people making poo poo up on the fly. It can be good, or great, or even beautiful, but it's not scripted, so it doesn't come with the same level of scrutiny.

tl;dr I'm an old man yelling at what I have to assume is a much younger Twitter fanbase that they're watching things I like wrong

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Philthy posted:

Do you even D&D.

I mean, positive representation is important. I think it's better for the show and for D&D in general to be willing to take place in an area that isn't just another British and middle European centric setting. The problem is that it's so hard to take anything on Twitter in good faith, it's hard to tell if any one person is someone truly concerned about cultural appropriation or is it's someone feigning outage because they want to be back in another euro centric setting or if they just want to pick a fight just for fighting sake.

Also for the guy asking about and aussie D&D setting, isn't that basically Dark Sun what with the inhospitable land filled with giant venomous creatures and Mad Max pastiche?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 14, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Quote is not edit.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Also for the guy asking about and aussie D&D setting, isn't that basically Dark Sun what with the inhospitable land filled with giant venomous creatures and Mad Max pastiche?
A Mad Max pastiche would be kind of interesting from an armor/gear standpoint because the clothing in the original Mad Max was specifically intended to be a BDSM pastiche because George Miller and crew thought it fit with the post-apocalyptic theme.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/estelofimladris/status/1470077491893063683?s=20

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Crazy Ted posted:

A Mad Max pastiche would be kind of interesting from an armor/gear standpoint because the clothing in the original Mad Max was specifically intended to be a BDSM pastiche because George Miller and crew thought it fit with the post-apocalyptic theme.

"You are approached by three dwarves all wearing studded leather."
"You mean studded leather... armor?"
"No."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HoboTech posted:

"You are approached by three dwarves all wearing studded leather."
"You mean studded leather... armor?"
"No."
"Nosecutter aims for your butt since you are facing away from him. He will roll as if you are wearing no armor."
"What do you mean no armor?"
"You are currently wearing assless leather pants"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

CR sowing a fandom of theatre kids: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

CR reaping a fandom of theatre kids: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Let’s save these ideas for an eventual CR Apocalypse World one-shot.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pleads posted:

CR reaping a fandom of theatre kids: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.
Yeah I knew even in high school to avoid being friends with the theater kids unless you were either in theater or marching band.

TotalHell posted:

what if I just wear assless leather pants to play D&D because it makes me feel powerful

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

TotalHell posted:

Why are these outfits needed for Nott, Jester, Fearne, Beau, Percy, Opal, and Fjord playing "what the gently caress is up with that?"?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Pleads posted:

Doesn't seem so much a problem of "a fandom of theatre kids" as "an extremely online fandom who love drama and constantly attract mercenary hot takes."

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
What kind of theatre kids did you know who were criticizing the spring musical for having a pith helmet?

I have to admit, I struggled a little with a homebrewed continent that I wanted to not seem generic European but also didn't want to be a caricature. It was actually far more easily done with architecture or other non-person based ideas than anything else. In the same way that the TV series Rome seemed otherworldly because it wasn't staid white columns, I just put in realistic considerations like mud brick, wattle and daub, or slate stone houses only where it made sense geographically, and spent more time describing those than the people walking about. Monumental architecture was where you could really call on influences from other parts of the world, like a ziggurat or palace with lots of mashrabiya balconies, but then subvert their expectations inside.

Spending a lot of time trying to mimic the pattern of a person who might inhabit a similar area is a fool's errand, and you'd be better off just letting the players fill in their own ideas by using the world around the person.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder if Travis chose a character this time that he thinks nobody will try to romance. I'm sure that won't stop shipping-twitter from pairing Chetney up with literally anything and everything.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

graynull posted:

I wonder if Travis chose a character this time that he thinks nobody will try to romance. I'm sure that won't stop shipping-twitter from pairing Chetney up with literally anything and everything.

I'm already shipping FCG and Fearne.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm already shipping FCG and Fearne.

If that 112-year-old dryad does't gently caress that 2--year-old robot it is literally a slap in my face.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

graynull posted:

Shipping twitter is a scary place that mixes hot take twitter and horny twitter.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Froghammer posted:

touch grass

Consent please

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

"Cancel culture," like "SJW," describes an actual internet phenomenon, but got co-opted and overused to the point where it feels made up whole cloth. But there definitely is a segment of the internet population that spends their free time scouring popular media and celebrities to find things they can get righteously indignant about.

These people existed before the internet too, of course, but they were isolated and easy to avoid. Now they can find each other and amplify their outrage and scorn.

That Brandon guy posted above said Brian Foster was racist. I clicked that tweet to see if anyone said why. Brandon said it was because he quote tweeted POC tweets. Now, it's not impossible for that to be racist - and there's definitely a debate to be had about big accounts interacting with small accounts - but that's a stretch.

But that's the game. Take something that might be kinda, sorta, in a way true, stretch for the worst, most bad faith interpretation of that, and then state that like it's a plain fact. People who aren't also playing the game with either ignore you, believe you, or ask for evidence, and there's a dozen different ways you can avoid presenting any evidence.

... god, typing all that made me feel like The Quartering... I swear I don't think this is wide spread or the most important topic of our age or anything. It just does exist and it's really evident in this fandom.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Even reddit is sick of the twitter discourse with PoC coming out telling twitter people to stop being offended on their behalf and inventing an issue that doesn't even exist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalro...tm_source=share

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lid posted:

Even reddit is sick of the twitter discourse with PoC coming out telling twitter people to stop being offended on their behalf and inventing an issue that doesn't even exist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalro...tm_source=share

Even this post escalates what imo started as valid criticism into something that then needs to be countered, which is something I think kinda sucks about the nature of ~the discourse~

Like that post reads like A Lot and goes on way too much to qualify why everything is perfectly okay when, if you roll it back to the original criticism, is a poc also saying "hey this could be a bad look." And I don't think one's more valid than another, but I do think it in turn makes it suck to point out what one might think is an issue and have that morph into "why are you complaining about every little thing." Especially when you get people like Foster using their platform to magnify that effect massively and escalate the issue way beyond its initial scope.

I promise nobody needs to defend the million dollar organization

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
the author is dead and the fan is braindead

edit: is nobody going to point out the gas can in the intro? I feel like the white capitalists of Critical Role Media Corporation could have at least included a solar panel. Pacific islanders are sinking under the ocean for your carbon emission sins.

redbrouw fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 15, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The OP criticism is right and it's nice to see a lot of people just utterly dismissing it because they know better. Critical Role is white as gently caress and they'd do a lot better if they just listened to PoC instead of getting super defensive about it, as would almost every fan. Nobody is trying to cancel anything or say it's malicious. All that was pointed out was how tone deaf they are, and they are.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The OP criticism is right and it's nice to see a lot of people just utterly dismissing it because they know better. Critical Role is white as gently caress and they'd do a lot better if they just listened to PoC instead of getting super defensive about it, as would almost every fan. Nobody is trying to cancel anything or say it's malicious. All that was pointed out was how tone deaf they are, and they are.

not trying to cancel anything, just trying to find an avenue through which random fans can exert creative control. most people are completely powerless in their lives and yearn for creative freedom and some validation of their own artistic proclivities, and this dovetails with certain political realities into a circumstance where twitter posters and other online groups feel they should have their voice heard and their ideas accepted. remember the guy who thought he was an unpaid sensitivity consultant because he sent them a lot of whiny emails?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

not trying to cancel anything, just trying to find an avenue through which random fans can exert creative control. most people are completely powerless in their lives and yearn for creative freedom and some validation of their own artistic proclivities, and this dovetails with certain political realities into a circumstance where twitter posters and other online groups feel they should have their voice heard and their ideas accepted. remember the guy who thought he was an unpaid sensitivity consultant because he sent them a lot of whiny emails?

pointing out something that is lovely for marginalised people is not trying to exert creative control, nobody that i've seen has said they should change anything just that they should maybe think about what they're doing before they do it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pointing out something that is lovely for marginalised people is not trying to exert creative control, nobody that i've seen has said they should change anything just that they should maybe think about what they're doing before they do it

so they should think about what theyre doing before they do it, but not change anything. very keen. have any actually marginalized people chimed in? all ive seen are literal cosplayers and people who are privileged in every way except for, probably, their sexuality

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

so they should think about what theyre doing before they do it, but not change anything. very keen. have any actually marginalized people chimed in? all ive seen are literal cosplayers and people who are privileged in every way except for, probably, their sexuality

you mean like the person who originally made the comment? the mixed race cosplayer? that one?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I think it speaks volumes that the white cast of critical role embraced a costume style known as white academia and should be applauded for self awareness

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

you mean like the person who originally made the comment? the mixed race cosplayer? that one?

we must all respect the views of the downtrodden cosplayers

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

we must all respect the views of the downtrodden cosplayers

cosplayer is the thing you took out of that sentence rather than the fact she's a PoC

can't understand why marginalised people feel unheard with respect to this kind of stuff lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

cosplayer is the thing you took out of that sentence rather than the fact she's a PoC

can't understand why marginalised people feel unheard with respect to this kind of stuff lol

yeah real marginalized person here. im sure its a struggle every day to go out to those cons and dress up in whatever costume they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah real marginalized person here. im sure its a struggle every day to go out to those cons and dress up in whatever costume they want

Dig up