Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mola Yam posted:

do the food bugs have plastic in them

the food bugs ARE plastic

now take your special probiotics so your gut flora can break the plastic down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stereotype posted:

i should have let the unread posts count for this thread stay where it was

that’s the kind of attitude that might just save the world! vote!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

crypto only works because of the internet though

it's time to pull the plug

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

i should have let the unread posts count for this thread stay where it was
relax, we just had COPE26 we're gunna be fine

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
The air we breathe has a carbon problem. But in Hellisheidi, Iceland, a geothermally active plateau just outside of Reykjavik, a new technology is taking a small but mighty step toward fixing it.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

counterpoint: you're lucky enough experiencing a literal once in an entire species lifespan event. a geological lifespan event even condensed to mere mortal generation. think of how many irish mud farmers gave birth and died for several hundreds of years without much happening.

it's honestly incredible, just insanely fascinating at so many levels. like you're inside the Sistine chapel and it's on fire, and sure the doors are locked, but hot drat the color of the flames as it ripples through the ceiling is incredible revealing all the Michelangelo layering

good post, gonna just read this and nothing else in the past 300 pages ty

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
did u hear the largest carbon capture plant was unveiled

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was promised bimbofication from microplastics, not rear end cancer

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Getting ready to hear the most dissonant chord the planet has ever played. It's gonna be an absolute banger. Can't loving wait.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

That Spooky Witch posted:

did u hear the largest carbon capture plant was unveiled

quote:

A bigger plant is already in the works, according to Wurzbacher, though the location has not yet been determined. It will be ten times larger than the Orca plant, so there will be 80 shipping container-sized collectors, instead of just eight, capturing 40,000 tons of CO2 per year.
:nice:

quote:

“It’s relatively simple climate math,” Wurzbacher explained on a video call from Zurich, Switzerland, where Climeworks is based. “By mid-century, we need to remove 10 billion tons of CO2, if everything else goes well. We might end up needing to remove 20 billion tons, because we can’t ramp down fast enough coal power plants and other stuff.”
ohhhhh.............gently caress!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
whats 20 billion divided by 40 thousand? probably a reasonable number

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Stevie Lee posted:

:nice:

ohhhhh.............gently caress!

5000 of these seems doable with a good deal of effort. the larger subway networks of the world, like Moscow and NYC, can have 200-400 stops and I guess these are about the size of one station. hopefully of similar or lesser complexity. if that’s all we would need it’s not so bad, right?

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://i.imgur.com/PIE0Ppz.mp4

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

5000 of these seems doable with a good deal of effort. the larger subway networks of the world, like Moscow and NYC, can have 200-400 stops and I guess these are about the size of one station. hopefully of similar or lesser complexity. if that’s all we would need it’s not so bad, right?
Gonna need 100 sets of those

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
when capitalism pumps out 500,000 carbon capture plants that size in the next decade everyone ITT is gonna look really, really dumb

:rubby:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtG7OTTJjWc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Alobar posted:

when capitalism pumps out 500,000 carbon capture plants that size in the next decade everyone ITT is gonna look really, really dumb

I couldn’t count all the zeroes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Alobar posted:

fun fact, we put out like 40 billion tonnes of co2 a year

500,000 of the libshit iceland plant is only 2 billion tonnes of co2 a year

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thing is we could probably rig up 5 million of those but I don't think they solve the plastic problem lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Thing is we could probably rig up 5 million of those but I don't think they solve the plastic problem lol

don't worry, the scientists are working on it. bioremediation is coming!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

The Protagonist posted:

'meltwater pulse', whilst meaningless to me as a layperson, rings with the same opaque foreboding as 'lol. lmao'

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Lmao, there are only 700 oil refineries in the world, and those things print money. How are you going to build 900,000 things that shred money?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There were some funny reports from New York in September or something about leaves falling has th a t happened yet or nah? I ask cuz I just saw some leaves on the ground for the first time in Texas. Lmao people still gonna have to rake when it's 80 out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

leaves are down, caller.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
its so nice and pleasant outside, i can't wait to see what summer will bring

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

you see, it's only a problem if you think it's a problem, ok?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hubbert posted:

its so nice and pleasant outside, i can't wait to see what summer will bring

Waiting for the first Ultra Derecho, since we've already had a Super (2012) and a Mega (2020).

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

80 degrees and humid at bed time in December lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gay_crimes posted:

seems fine op

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
there has to be a luchador or some kind of luchador move called the Ultimo Derecho

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

gay_crimes posted:

https://twitter.com/theyylovekj/status/1470391547233505291

Serf
May 5, 2011

gay_crimes posted:

70 degrees in georgia baby. we even got gnats and mosquitos outside right now lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I actually found it really reassuring when temperatures dropped to -17 a couple days ago. Climate change is still going to kill me, but at least I don't have a warm reminder in the sky

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Serf posted:

70 degrees in georgia baby. we even got gnats and mosquitos outside right now lol

I turned the AC on, took my dehumidifier back out of storage and put my summer sheets back on my bed. shits hosed!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's cold over here on the west coast.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
in ontario rain and high winds today, record high temp expected tomorrow, followed by (maybe) snow on the weekend

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so the problem is water right? the ocean is warming and that like does stuff bad? why can't we suck it all up. put it somewhere better than just the floor.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

There used to be things called "Ice Continents" and "Glaciers" that had the ability take water from the floor and put it somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/TimmonsRoberts/status/1471077763884982276