Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elon is either a very good grifter or someone who could've been a very good grifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Money doesn’t equal intelligence, but some people never understand that (usually because it’s easier to just flit about life thinking the elite are there because they’re better, since critical thinking usually causes stress, consternation, etc.) Sometimes it’s just random, dumb luck like anyone who made money by buying and holding bitcoin for 10 years.

Elon Musk may or may not be smart but he’s at least demonstrably an rear end in a top hat, and that’s more than enough to write him off (and probably anyone who likes him) completely. Being born into a family that owns a gem mine in South Africa definitely didn’t hinder him in any way. He’s at least been extremely lucky.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

I recall reading that intelligent people are more likely to believe bullshit like aliens sightings and psychics because they're better able to convince themselves of it. Not sure how I feel about that, but it does have a logic to them. A person can also he like the Elon Musk or Kanye West kind of stupid genius, where they can be simultaneously incredibly talented AND batshit stupid.

People who think they're smart (which is not necessarily the same as smart people) are often just as susceptible as anyone else to tricks and misdirection, but they're even less likely to reexamine their initial reactions or admit that they might have been misled.

Elon isn't a genius. He's a marketer, a con artist. A liar who's good at selling themselves can easily portray themselves as a genius.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

I recall reading that intelligent people are more likely to believe bullshit like aliens sightings and psychics because they're better able to convince themselves of it. Not sure how I feel about that, but it does have a logic to them. A person can also he like the Elon Musk or Kanye West kind of stupid genius, where they can be simultaneously incredibly talented AND batshit stupid.

Not more likely to believe, harder to persuade out once they do believe because they're much more adept at rationalizing around any contrary evidence. Turns out intelligence doesn't mean you're some perfect logic robot who always objectively understands your own motivations.

By the same token falling for scams like this doesn't necessarily require someone to be smart or dumb (though NFT stuff in particular seems designed to filter heavily for morons), just motivated to believe in the get-rich-quick scheme. MLMs don't target housewives because housewives are stupid, they're a rich vein because they access to money but are alienated from the moneymaking process, like the idea of making their own income but can't get a real job after years out of the workforce, so give them a readymade kit that looks like what salespeople do and tell them they're small business owners and they'll fight to the death for the illusion. The target for crypto is dudes who got in at the lower end of tech or like to think of themselves as tech-savvy because they're extremely Online, never saw the fabled millions that they were promised Google would be paying them and never actually learned how to make anything useful in their lovely CS classes. Now someone's telling them that they can quit their bullshit dead-end career and become Visionary Venture Capitalists swapping absolute bullshit just like Bezos and Musk, because they're just so good at computers (Twitter) and the only field they've managed to master with confidence (memes) is actually super valuable and important. The smart ones will fight with every resource at their disposal for the illusion they aren't losers after all and the dumb ones are furnished with an endless supply of one-liners and colorful image macros to derail inconvenient trains of thought.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 14, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orange sky posted:

I just had dinner with someone I consider an intelligent person, but I might have to review that opinion. They apparently bought multiple "nft metaverse planes", and are playing a "click to win game" where they login everyday and click some buttons to get money back in coins. Direct quote - "it started recently so its not going to blow up immediately - I'll probably be able to make money off of it before it goes tits up".

Goddamn, the world is a gently caress. Everyone is just trying to get rich quick, rationality thrown to the pile of everything else we left behind

This is apparently it: https://cryptoplanes.me/ probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen

Looked at website, saw the big Gameplay tiles that appear to depict Asteroids and Space Invaders, but with NFT planes and cartoon cats.

Said to myself "Surely a supposedly intelligent person doesn't look at Asteroids and Space Invaders and think this will be the big metaverse game that is 'going to blow up'. What is the actual game?"

Looked at videos for CryptoPlanes on youtube. All of them are the same: person goes into CryptoPlanes website, looks at planes they can buy and sell (which are just a dumb card with 5 stats), then starts looking at market charts and their investment whitepaper. THERE IS NO GAME. Not even the crappy Asteroids and Space Invaders clones they show on their website!

The only 'game' that exists for CryptoPlanes is basically Cookie Clicker, except you have to pay to click and maybe you can sell your cookie on the in-game market to a bigger fool.

Star Citizen, eat your heart out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Star citizen never getting into the NFT grift absolutely blows my mind.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There is no corpse of Jesus. He just peaced out and ascended to heaven.

Just sell bible NFTs anyhow, who's going to enforce copyright, the catholics?

Just because the Jesus corpse doesn't exist doesn't mean we can't make an NFT of it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the Church moves very slowly but I'm confident we'll be seeing 13 separate Jesus foreskin NFTs being sold simultaneously by 2100

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Seriously why even bother with the art portion of the NFT? It clearly doesn’t matter to the grift

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Not more likely to believe, harder to persuade out once they do believe because they're much more adept at rationalizing around any contrary evidence. Turns out intelligence doesn't mean you're some perfect logic robot who always objectively understands your own motivations.

a very good post. I'm now selling the NFT of post 519973048 for 3 ETH on Opensea.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kanye yes, but what's Elon's talent?

Identifying markets that are dominated by lovely rent-seekers and head-up-their-rear end oligopolies. Paypal, Tesla, and SpaceX all were/are super successful because they did things the incumbents didn't want to do because they were lazy and stupid.

Paypal he sold at the right time, since then the competition has stepped up and the shine has worn off. Tesla the shine is starting to wear off already, and that's why they're pushing unfinished AI onto the roads. And SpaceX still looks like visionary genius because the MIC is the shittiest rent-seeker and head-up-its-rear end oligopoly it's possible to be.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Gutcruncher posted:

Seriously why even bother with the art portion of the NFT? It clearly doesn’t matter to the grift

It does in that it’s branding. Without the pictures, lovely though they are, you are just yelling that the emperor has no clothes. And that doesn’t let people lie to themselves about these things having value.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

By the same token falling for scams like this doesn't necessarily require someone to be smart or dumb (though NFT stuff in particular seems designed to filter heavily for morons), just motivated to believe in the get-rich-quick scheme. MLMs don't target housewives because housewives are stupid, they're a rich vein because they access to money but are alienated from the moneymaking process, like the idea of making their own income but can't get a real job after years out of the workforce, so give them a readymade kit that looks like what salespeople do and tell them they're small business owners and they'll fight to the death for the illusion. The target for crypto is dudes who got in at the lower end of tech or like to think of themselves as tech-savvy because they're extremely Online, never saw the fabled millions that they were promised Google would be paying them and never actually learned how to make anything useful in their lovely CS classes. Now someone's telling them that they can quit their bullshit dead-end career and become Visionary Venture Capitalists swapping absolute bullshit just like Bezos and Musk, because they're just so good at computers (Twitter) and the only field they've managed to master with confidence (memes) is actually super valuable and important. The smart ones will fight with every resource at their disposal for the illusion they aren't losers after all and the dumb ones are furnished with an endless supply of one-liners and colorful image macros to derail inconvenient trains of thought.

This is a pretty insightful take.

Also

https://twitter.com/AltcoinGordon/status/1470121126722428934

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Much as I hate brands paying some 30 year olds 40k a year to give sick burns online all day, I have never been bothered by a dictionary brand doing it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gutcruncher posted:

They do to the bag holders.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ikanreed posted:

Much as I hate brands paying some 30 year olds 40k a year to give sick burns online all day, I have never been bothered by a dictionary brand doing it.

it has to be one of the least exploitative industries right? compared to say Wendy's or Pepsi or whatever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

saw this on the twitter and it made me think of you guys
https://twitter.com/JacobOracle/status/1470860401785061376?s=20

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If bitcoin exchanges can naturally spring forth from magic card auction sites, then surely crypto defenders can spring forth from brother fuckers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

the blockchain poo poo is too offputting to most other demographics and outside of founding a crypto religion there's little else techbros hold in quite the same contempt

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 15, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Applebees/status/1470484078646411264

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cowcaster posted:

saw this on the twitter and it made me think of you guys
https://twitter.com/JacobOracle/status/1470860401785061376?s=20

lol in the previous screenshot the tether-bot says: "Ask me what would happen to the entire crypto market if USDT was worth 1 cent. Horrible things"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
gently caress didn't loop the animation

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

jokes posted:

Star citizen never getting into the NFT grift absolutely blows my mind.

That's like a month away, I am sure. They've been selling JPEGs for a decade now, they just need time to build the jankiest Blockchain in history.

My wife is on a call for her MBA class and four of the five people were telling one of her classmates that BTC is a scam and the one kept trying to defend it. Granted, this class includes an investment advisor who IMs members of the class telling them to get into very specific cryptos ALL THE TIME

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nybble posted:

coinmarketcap is reporting that Bitcoin's market cap is in the quintillions, and a lot of other exchanges have similar numbers.

Guess ghost TiTty was right all along…man, am I embarrassed (and poor!).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't get why people like Kanye or think he is a musical genius - he's always seemed like a very style-over-substance celebrity to me, which I suppose is analogous to the essence of crypto.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't get why people like Kanye or think he is a musical genius - he's always seemed like a very style-over-substance celebrity to me, which I suppose is analogous to the essence of crypto.

Speaking as someone who knows 95% of the lyrics to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by heart, I will fight you on this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xanderkish posted:

Speaking as someone who knows 95% of the lyrics to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by heart, I will fight you on this.

BOUND

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

It's okay, you can like bad music. Just don't make an NFT out of it, I guess.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

coinmarketcap was apparently hacked

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Someone mentioned that artists complained about their works being stolen and were lectured that they should have made NFTs themselves.

This makes me think about how people react to being provided with new information. When I read a book I try to put all preconceptions out of my mind and conscienciounsly read it and make a judgement about it after I finish. But I think some people definitely, when they read a book are only capable of seeing what they want to see. And then there are even some people that decide what world-shattering epiphanies the book is going to give them in advance before they read the first page.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Strong Sauce posted:

coinmarketcap was apparently hacked

Temporarily embarrassed millionaire? I'm a permanently embarrassed billionaire!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Question related to all the legal talk from last page:

A lot of the conversation about Disney suing someone for selling an NFT of Disney IP talks as if selling an NFT for crypto is a real transaction and not a transfer of fake internet coins. What would be the difference between that and say, me promising to send you a link to a JPG of mickey mouse in exchange for 500 WoW gold? There are places online where you can sell wow gold for USD, but I have a hard time imaging anyone at Disney legal would give a poo poo. I'm really curious if there are any legal precedents that clarify this a bit more. Is simply the idea that crypto "might" be worth "something" mixed with Disney's IP enough to imply that there was some sort of fraudulent transaction, vs. the fact that wow gold has never claimed to be anything but wow gold and not some sort of alternative currency?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Dark Wind posted:

Question related to all the legal talk from last page:

A lot of the conversation about Disney suing someone for selling an NFT of Disney IP talks as if selling an NFT for crypto is a real transaction and not a transfer of fake internet coins. What would be the difference between that and say, me promising to send you a link to a JPG of mickey mouse in exchange for 500 WoW gold? There are places online where you can sell wow gold for USD, but I have a hard time imaging anyone at Disney legal would give a poo poo. I'm really curious if there are any legal precedents that clarify this a bit more. Is simply the idea that crypto "might" be worth "something" mixed with Disney's IP enough to imply that there was some sort of fraudulent transaction, vs. the fact that wow gold has never claimed to be anything but wow gold and not some sort of alternative currency?

The conversation started with someone speculating about minting an NFT, but then shifted to making new versions of mickey mouse and then hosting those somewhere else with vague promises about ownership. As far as I can tell all the legal issues are with the rehosting, recombining, and promising and not with the NFT itself.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A legal battle around Disney characters as NFTs concludes in a cease and desist on the image hosting company storing the images

NFTs themselves remain unaffected as a judge rules that they are simply hyperlinks and have no relation to the original images

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
So I guess my Yahoo finance bugged out earlier? Not seeing any posts about it but I got a notification earlier tonight that it had jumped 10% and then I looked and saw this:

Checked back a few min later and it was normal again. I thought I was hallucinating. It was really weird.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, hello i'm tango alpha delta and i'm a Tango Alpha Delta Coin Trillionaire. You can be too if you give me money.

holy poo poo i feel icky now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's normal and good for Bitcoin actually.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ultimately all IP cases come down to the willingness of the IP owner to push its legal rights. Disney probably doesn't give enough of a poo poo to stop you from selling anything for WoW gold, but that doesn't mean a copyright wasn't infringed. And indeed, copyright law doesn't require you to show that something is being sold for oodles of dollars, merely that the activity was an unauthorized duplication and for which statutory damages can apply. If I rip Blurays to a media server and let all my friends stream it, that's still a copyright violation whether I let them watch for free, pay with WoW gold, or charge $5 a month. (The existence of high monetary value exchanges makes it more likely it's worth suing for damages and not merely sending the DMCA take down letter, which is effectively free to someone like Disney.)

And yes, the NFT itself is such a legal nonentity that no right is being infringed if you mint an NFT, per se. But invariably there's all sorts of ancillary infringing activity that surrounds the NFT, and there's an arguable claim that because the NFT seller purports to convey some sort of "ownership" interest you're daring the original rights holder to step in just to ensure that no, get your loving mitts off of Mickey.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

drowningidiot posted:

So I guess my Yahoo finance bugged out earlier? Not seeing any posts about it but I got a notification earlier tonight that it had jumped 10% and then I looked and saw this:

Checked back a few min later and it was normal again. I thought I was hallucinating. It was really weird.

Oh poo poo salt shakeup was right beyond his wildest dreams.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

you would be spending many tens of thousands of dollars to establish the legal precedent that copyright infringement is illegal

You would be setting the precedent that NFTs are copyright infringement. At this point that's debatable since they don't convey any rights or even actually store the image.

https://twitter.com/FlyingRottenR/status/1470737590894706694/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Fuckin Keanu man

:allears: