Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did the entire MSQ with my Jibanyan Couch

Scooty Puff Jr 'till I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

The hours of waiting were worth it. Now gently caress that grind forever.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SL the Pyro posted:

The hours of waiting were worth it. Now gently caress that grind forever.

What's this from again?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I was (late 89 msq spoilers) not expecting the beast tribes to return, but found it surprisingly moving. I had no expectation they'd revisit this hanging thread around faith but they did so in a fashion that felt sensible in the mechanics of the lore and in the pacing of the narrative and it worked pretty well imo.

plus it offers the thinnest of reeds on which to hang the lore justification for SMN finally getting to just outright summon primals, and I do love to see job content show up in the MSQ. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep this is exactly it. Ironically I think that this caused the Ascians to get too greedy. Oh boy we can get two rejoinings done basically back to back! Only without a destroyed world, everyone remembered their poo poo and were much more prepared to work against them.

I think the rush for a double calamity was less greed and more fear.

Keep in mind that a normal calamity takes centuries to rebuild from. The Ascians can chill and, most importantly, scrub all mention of their existence from any records that may have survived. By the time they can set up another rejoining, not a single soul alive knows who they are and how they work, letting them run wild.

This time, everyone who knows about the Ascians are still alive and kicking, meaning waiting a century just gives them that much more time to figure out how to deal with it, so they have to try and get a proper calamity going ASAP before they figure out something prior civilizations just didn't have enough time for.

Lo and behold: just a measly 7 years after Bahamut, the Scions figure out a way to perma-kill an Ascian with white auracite, and things start to go downhill from there.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best part of this expansion was me going "ok here we go it's Gamemaster Anthony's birthday time and all my friends from all the main and side quests are coming in for a big party" and then it happened like 3 more times with more and more friends each time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel like with no real way the queues are getting better, but only worse, and I would like to at least be able to play this after work to unwind, I feel like I should just be starting on a tank just for the quick duty queues at this point. DPS wait times are still rather rough.

This brings me to my next subject; holy gently caress you Warriors are eating for real in this patch. It took me a minute to realize that Nascent is now your Darkest Night equivalent and Bloodwhetting seems like it's real, real good in general.

Can't wait to get Fellest Cleave at 90

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pwnstar posted:

The best part of this expansion was me going "ok here we go it's Gamemaster Anthony's birthday time and all my friends from all the main and side quests are coming in for a big party" and then it happened like 3 more times with more and more friends each time.

Insert Gary Oldman EVVVERRRRYYONE gif here

Except Alexander. The guy couldn't take 5 minutes of his infinite time loop to hop over and help?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MechaX posted:

I feel like with no real way the queues are getting better, but only worse, and I would like to at least be able to play this after work to unwind, I feel like I should just be starting on a tank just for the quick duty queues at this point. DPS wait times are still rather rough.

This brings me to my next subject; holy gently caress you Warriors are eating for real in this patch. It took me a minute to realize that Nascent is now your Darkest Night equivalent and Bloodwhetting seems like it's real, real good in general.

Can't wait to get Fellest Cleave at 90

One person new to their warrior at 80 was trying to figure it out, I told him that Raw Intuition is great and on a very short timer so it's easy to hit without worrying about saving it.

"I see that but it's only 6 seconds."

Dude. It's 6 seconds where you can AoE yourself to invincibility. That thing saves my rear end so many times.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MechaX posted:

I think part of that is from the holidays starting, so you have a bunch of people having time off cramming into the game.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

S.J. posted:

What's this from again?

Superboss FATE in the final zone. Get 12 drops from it and trade them in at Radz-at-Han.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Insert Gary Oldman EVVVERRRRYYONE gif here

Except Alexander. The guy couldn't take 5 minutes of his infinite time loop to hop over and help?

I mean, Alexander has effectively removed itself from play more totally than anybody other than the Ascians that got auracite'd. It'd be kinda weird if it just kinda woke up on its own now. Roundrox's crew does drop off some presents if you've completed the Alex raids though.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Just had the best time of my FF14 career running the extreme version of the level 83 trial with a first timer randoms. Made a party finder for babies first ex trial, we launched in ready to have a punishing good time, and 30 tries later we nailed it. Seeing our progression was a great experience, even if it took a while. What a great way to end the day. :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My lens flare went wild for the screenshot

Prefer these ones

Thank you Yoship.... and "Creative Business Unit III"... what an achievement

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Finished tonight. Gotta catch up on lots of spoiler discussion tomorrow while I formulate my own thoughts, but overall I was extremely satisfied with the experience. A+ would end walk again.

Out of everything that happened this expansion though, there was one thing that was the most unexpected, the most bewildering.

(Final trial spoilers)
Zenos arrives. You start to summon your trial-mates. The screen fades in, you're hurtling through space. You're hype as gently caress because you know this is it, this is The End.

Then the music kicks in, and the first thing you hear is loving BEEF SOFT TACOS.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also I guess now I should probably do something about these coffers, i guess

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nibble posted:

Finished tonight. Gotta catch up on lots of spoiler discussion tomorrow while I formulate my own thoughts, but overall I was extremely satisfied with the experience. A+ would end walk again.

Out of everything that happened this expansion though, there was one thing that was the most unexpected, the most bewildering.

(Final trial spoilers)
Zenos arrives. You start to summon your trial-mates. The screen fades in, you're hurtling through space. You're hype as gently caress because you know this is it, this is The End.

Then the music kicks in, and the first thing you hear is loving BEEF SOFT TACOS.

Not quite so bewildering when you realise that the music is a remix of all the x.0 final bosses from ARR to ShB.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

is the last part of the launch trailer music (the choral 'wings of hope' part of footfalls) somewhere? The last trial is all I have left and I haven't heard it yet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

TheWorldsaStage posted:

is the last part of the launch trailer music (the choral 'wings of hope' part of footfalls) somewhere? The last trial is all I have left and I haven't heard it yet.

Final MSQ The answer is Yes.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kazy posted:

Yay!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Finished this a few days ago and only now finally managed to read through the 3500 posts I'd been ignoring to avoid spoilers so here's a spoilere'd wall of text for probably the whole expansion.

I really enjoyed Endwalker. It is an incredible expansion and story and the themes really spoke to me. But it is nonetheless slightly worse than shb for a couple of reasons. First, there were multiple points that had me rolling my eyes and thinking, "this is stupid." In particular, dealing with people in Old Sharlayan and Garlemald often felt insanely dumb and contrived. Biggest offender being Quintus' rant that somehow left Alphinaud speechless despite our 5 whole games worth of perfect reasons to tell Garlemald to shove their rule up their rear end. The other being the zone design, which is just flatly worse. Labyrinthos and Mare in particular are eggregious to deal with on a ground mount. While that doesn't matter to me now that I have flying, it absolutely grated as I spent multiple days having to make a 5 minute run around Labyrinthos to get to gathering nodes for dailies.

Additionally, I feel like when they said Endwalker was going to be 30% or whatever bigger, they did this through cramming the maps full of sidequests. And even as a big time sidequest doer, Labyrinthos part 2 and Elpis really needed to have some of those cut. I had a good laugh because when I was wrapping up Ultima Thule I remember thinking to myself that they had been pretty sparse with the quests there, only to finish the msq, go back, and find 15 more quests suddenly.

Still amazing though. A 9.5 to shb's 10. The character moments and spectacle continue to be the big drivers of enjoyment and they've gotten exceedingly good at both. Best soundtrack yet too, not a single clunker for once. Worst song being Zot, but it's still fine and technically comes from another game so it kinda gets a pass. Put me in the camp of in from the cold being incredible, and I was surprised by the chutzpah it takes to do that kind of thing to an MMO player. It really worked for me though, I definitely felt the pressure and frustration as I scrambled around looking for the dang fuel.

Studium quests were largely pretty good! I regret not telling Jude to get ahold of himself at every opportunity in hindsight, but I enjoyed all of those stories. Debroye new favorite npc as my partner in the war against archon loaf.

Melee dps role quest was disappointing, but alright. I was hoping to spend it fighting with Merlwyb, but it ends up mostly revolving around the company of heroes. Which was fine, I liked what they did, I just really like Merlwyb and feel she's generally underused and that remains the case.

MVP of the expansion: new aetheryte UI.

As for reaper and sage, I like both quite a bit. RPR just slaps, they did a great job with it and I love playing it and it's what I am maining currently. I agree with whoever said the debuff sucks to keep up though, it's a pain in the rear end. Sage is definitely my new favorite healer in PvE (not enough to unseat whm in pvp for me though). It just feels really good to play. The damage spells are satisfying and it gets rid of all the headaches of being a scholar. Whispering dawn without the delay, sacred soil people don't have to stand in, adlo's that are essentially always instant so easily done on the run. Definitely some moments where I was considering moving over from melee dps main to healer. But then I got rpr to 90 and got communio and nevermind that.

Got all my goals achieved too which was nice. All hand/land jobs to 90, reaper to 90 and sage to 80. Even got sam to 90 and mnk to 85 too.

Oh, worst queue experience was the sunday after EA started. 6k queue, hit the end, "server is full" error. After an hour of trying to get past that, I got booted back to the end of a 6k queue again. So many 2002 errors in the process. Awful, and I am dreading trying to get into the game after tomorrow when my vacation is over. I work from home so that's something at least.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Just finished Endwalker (mega spoilers on entire expansion) While I found the expansion great. It got all the closure I needed in the game. It did feel a little, too much? I don't know how to word this properly. But the scope of the expansion felt too big. I liked in ARR you were running around building a name for yourselves. In Heavensward you helped end the dragonsong war. In stormblood you helped overthrow some garlean controlled lands. Shadowbringers everything started escalating to an insane amount. The whole ascian arc and time travel and all that weirdness. Endwalker just turned that up even more. Meeting the ancients, moonship, fighting zodiark and hydaelyn like its nothing. Then taking a spaceship to fight some super powerful universe/civilization destroying birdgirl while riding on the back of zenos. Then saving the world from extinction. I liked it when we weren't some super demi-god.

Best part of the expansion for me is the whole hydaelyn story. Entire expansion I was waiting for hydaelyn to become evil (because of my dumb prediction. I guess I got betrayed one too many times.) Then I met Venat and I completely changed my mind. I loved how much she just loved the world and all the trust she put in you. The choices she made to give humanity a chance. And then we finally get to meet her back in the original timeline only to fight. Which was perfectly fine for me but then she reveals she's going to die. Oh no. Why do you do this! I felt so bad. I thought she would be with us forever. She was there since the beginning. I feel a bit empty like losing a part of the wol. I wonder how this will affect the wol. Do you lose the blessing?

I didn't really care that much about meteion. I did feel bad for what she has to go through. I did think hermes was a little cruel. Created something that is entirely emotion with no way to turn off the emotion. Then having her go crazy from despair. Instead of stopping her he lets her live while corrupted by despair for however long it was until we stopped her. All because he felt the ancients were cruel and wrong and he was all alone. While the ancients did toy with life as its nothing but I think its because they don't value life. They were immortals. They choose when to die. To them dying and returning to the planet was a good thing. Hermes messed up big time with meteion and the final days. Meteion's suffering was just collateral damage for his punishment on the ancients.

I almost felt like the early parts of the expansion and the later half was completely different games. Early on I actually enjoyed running around garlemald and thauvanir helping people fighting small stuff. Although the whole garlean train station part made me angry. But after going to the moon, everything just escalated really fast. The final battle with zenos was great. I almost thought the expansion would end without giving zenos the fight he so desired. I was feeling really disappointed after getting to meteion and realizing its never going to happen and would probably be in patch 9.1 or something because of the cutscene where he showed up in sharlayan. Then he headbutted a hole though the wall and we ended up having an epic fight. Ending with a satisfying punch in the face to finish him off. The best closure to a villain I hated.

I'm going to keep rambling on if I don't stop now. I'll just say I enjoyed the expansion quite a lot. Not as much as shadowbringers and heavensward maybe. Definitely had a lot of fun and teary eyed moments.

Gameplay wise. I like what they did to my main, the samurai. It didn't really change the playstyle of samurai but we did get another move which looks and sound very satisfying to click. It just improved what was already there by giving us more charges and qol stuff like buffs when you use meikyo shisui. I haven't tried the other jobs yet but will give it a try eventually.

Also music for this expansion was great. Flow is the best song.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kazy posted:

Followup, is it after the credits or did I miss it in the trial? I just heard the normal version in the trail and against Him.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Followup, is it after the credits or did I miss it in the trial? I just heard the normal version in the trail and against Him.

A big band version plays during the 87 solo duty against Venat, and it's worked into the final trial phase 2 music. Other than that you get an orchestrion of it by itself at the very end.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I unfollowed the threads to avoid spoiler bar temptation till I finished EW and am now back to uselessly lurk.

I mained BLM through the MSQ as is my tradition, and for awhile I felt oddly insecure lol, I went from routinely being top dps in duties in ShB to absolutely not. With RPRs and SAMS being the main culprits. but turns out I just needed my full 90 kit, I am back baby!

Muscle memory though is affecting me, I am no longer filled to the gills with Spell speed materia and I keep thinking I have another fire 4 I can weasel in, Also I keep hitting scathe After the first Blizzard 3 as I moved Scathe to Enochian's old spot as part of my effort to moved Blizzard 2 onto my bar and near the other AOE buttons.

Normally this is where my post expansion photo dump goes, but I decided to keep it as an imgur album instead of TIMG all of it

https://imgur.com/a/CfXUE5V Here there be spoilers. I took a lot more but these are just the few I felt were worth showing.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 15, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nibble posted:

(Final trial spoilers)

The Worm's Tail at 150%, into the Final Fantasy Overture, into Ultima while keeping the same key and instrumentation, is just magnificently hype. Especially as a direct follow up to Zenos rushing the stage. If there's anything that makes Endcaller less than perfect as a final boss theme for 2.0-6.0 it's that it doesn't have any more Worm's Tail after the opening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think I know which music from the launch trailer you're talking about. It's part of the Zodiark trial music.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trailer music I really thought the wings of hope part of the trailer theme would be one snippet of its own song, and was looking forward to hearing it all game, so I was pretty disappointed that that's it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really really really like Summoner now, definitely gonna try to get this to Level 90

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 15, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So one of the 'beast tribes' for this expac are definitely going to be (EX dungeon and final zone spoilers):The bar at the end of existance, right?

The final zone also has one island in the middle that needs to be revealed individually on the map, but is completely empty. It's highly likely that they'll use that for some kind of future content.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

KoB posted:

Scooty Puff Jr 'till I die.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that calls it this.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the influx of players has really exposed the flaws of the special FATE chains. Everyone really wants the tv mount, but it could spawn anywhere within a multi-hour window every three days. It's most likely to spawn towards the end of that window, but it might spawn earlier, so the only way to be sure you get it is camping the spawn point for hours, making sure to move every 30 mins so you don't get kicked.

You could just rely on guildmates or friends to tell you when its spawned, but good luck getting into the zone instance as soon as word gets out - and even if you can, you better hope no one pulled it early.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Valentin posted:

I was (late 89 msq spoilers) not expecting the beast tribes to return, but found it surprisingly moving. I had no expectation they'd revisit this hanging thread around faith but they did so in a fashion that felt sensible in the mechanics of the lore and in the pacing of the narrative and it worked pretty well imo.

plus it offers the thinnest of reeds on which to hang the lore justification for SMN finally getting to just outright summon primals, and I do love to see job content show up in the MSQ. :v:

susano is such a glorious himbo I can't ever be mad at them. So hype for everything, I love it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why on earth isn't there a checkbox I can click so that when I auto-sort things in the armory chest, it will push all the items that are part of gear sets to the front? Why is very simple stuff that should've been there in the first place so hard for them to do when it comes to the UI?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cicadalek posted:

I think the influx of players has really exposed the flaws of the special FATE chains. Everyone really wants the tv mount, but it could spawn anywhere within a multi-hour window every three days. It's most likely to spawn towards the end of that window, but it might spawn earlier, so the only way to be sure you get it is camping the spawn point for hours, making sure to move every 30 mins so you don't get kicked.

You could just rely on guildmates or friends to tell you when its spawned, but good luck getting into the zone instance as soon as word gets out - and even if you can, you better hope no one pulled it early.

Maybe they should disable those FATEs until the queue situation gets better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cicadalek posted:

I was lucky enough to get in on the one that spawned last night. I get why the spawn is randomized but the thing is that It spawns very quickly after the notification shows up and is likely to instantly aggro on one of the hundreds of people waiting on top of the platform, and then it dies in a minute to the meatgrinder of 600 players. If you’re in the instance but on the other side of the zone when it spawns you’re likely not to make it in time. So yeah it heavily favors the strategy of “idle in one spot for like 48 hours”

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I waited probably a combined total of 15 hours the past couple days to get 1 kill.

It's self inflicted and I was catching up on other stuff while waiting so it wasn't too bad, but it's pretty nuts!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Maybe they should disable those FATEs until the queue situation gets better.

Because people won't stop hurting themselves over it?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

Because people won't stop hurting themselves over it?

I guess most of the people sitting around doing nothing for hours while they wait would probably still be logged in doing something else, but for anyone who actually would otherwise log off, that's someone else who could be playing in place of them idling. It's just bad to incentivize that kind of behavior while so many people are struggling to get any playtime at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Are any of the role quests actually good? I haven't heard anything positive and the magic dps one was really meh. Like, okay, coda for Ishgard, but covering parts I don't really care about.