Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I spent Christmas unable to see my family and feeling depressed watching Home Alone but at least I didn't go to this bleak poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Were I going to attend an illegal party I would simply not pose for a photograph of me doing the illegal thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1470890988122083334

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would simply not pose for a photograph of me doing the illegal thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Payndz posted:

Apparently the guy in the grey jacket is Mr Holly Valance, aka billionaire property developer (and by amazing coincidence Tory donor) Nick Candy.

of course its this ridiculous

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

I spent Christmas unable to see my family and feeling depressed watching Home Alone but at least I didn't go to this bleak poo poo.

The only one there who I believe actually had a good time is Terrible Jumper Lad because he's clearly three seconds from scarfing down enough food to fill a borehole mine and falling into a food coma

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I see that picture and think of all those who died alone because of the *restrictions... and i would be ok having them punished terminally.

*Not that the restrictions were wrong but that they disobeyed them with such abandon.

The inequality angers me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ey up crafteh wank

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
why does he have the hands of an octogenarian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They age whenever he touches himself through his trouser pockets during a meeting.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
he looks like he has been eating only jam sandwiches and toffos his entire life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

why does he have the hands of an octogenarian

He is actually eighty years old and they used peter thiel's secret technology to make his head look twelve.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The fact this is even a debate is the whole issue. Vaccines are not something that’s a ‘valid arguments on both sides’ kind of deal. Anti-vaccine sentiment is moronic harmful quackery that hurts patients, staff, the whole NHS and society at large. We should stop pandering to it. Get the vaccine or get a job that doesn’t involve you actively endangering your patients and colleagues because you’re a moron.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
can anyone tell me how to pronounce the name abdulmajid, only i'm to meet a bloke with that name soon and i'd rather not have to ask

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PovertyObserver/status/1470869593770147841

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lest he think me a big bumpkin and a TWIT :banjo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(it's a work thing next week, i'm not hooking up w/ men in the small hours)

i don't suppose names even get exchanged in those kinds of encounters, mind

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

crispix posted:

can anyone tell me how to pronounce the name abdulmajid, only i'm to meet a bloke with that name soon and i'd rather not have to ask

i guess you can't ask bowie anymore

https://www.howtopronounce.com/abdul-majid

?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have assumed the way it's spelled? Ab-dool-mah-jeed?

Possibly with that zhyuh sound that I don't think we have an english transcription for, the first syllable of "je ne sais qois" instead of a hard J.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

I would suggest

Depends if he's British/Irish or not.

Not British/Irish: AbDUL mahdJEED if from arab lands - well Egypt anyway! (Capitals to emphasize slight stress - long ah sound between m and dJ). Run dJ together.

British: Abdul Ma-jid short a short i

I'm guessing he will introduce himself with the pronuncation he wants.

This is how Google Translate says it (press the sound button)

https://translate.google.com/?sl=ar&tl=en&text=%D8%B9%D8%A8%D8%AF%20%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%AC%D9%8A%D8%AF%E2%80%8E&op=translate

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 15, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59649129

Law student, 19, sues landlord and wins first case

quote:

But when he turned up, it was a different story.

"It was a building site," he says of the property which was developed by The Freedman Project LLP and managed by Estateducation.

"There were skips everywhere, tradesmen everywhere, hammering the ceiling, hammering the walls. The place was covered in dust from sanding.

"It was almost ironic and funny that people were moving into this place because it looked awful. It was just a bit of a dire state really."

Self-isolating students in end-of-tenancy 'nightmare'
University deferral deals: Current students brand them unfair
Bristol alumni student tackles 'toxic' student rental market
After a week Jack moved out and stopped paying his rent. Despite being threatened with recovery action by a debt collector, he turned to his textbooks and started building his case.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GoodLawProject/status/1470738801840603148

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

The fact this is even a debate is the whole issue. Vaccines are not something that’s a ‘valid arguments on both sides’ kind of deal. Anti-vaccine sentiment is moronic harmful quackery that hurts patients, staff, the whole NHS and society at large. We should stop pandering to it. Get the vaccine or get a job that doesn’t involve you actively endangering your patients and colleagues because you’re a moron.

Cool.
Just to check, though, where do we find the staff to replace the ones we just told to gently caress off?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

kingturnip posted:

Cool.
Just to check, though, where do we find the staff to replace the ones we just told to gently caress off?

Prison

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pretty wild that people are clinging to “my right to be unvaccinated!!” in december 2021

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Jakabite posted:

that's all cool and good. And to be clear, I am in support of mandatory vaccines, but I don't think doing it for all NHS workers is right at the moment.

At present a very likely outcome of doing mandatory vaccines is having a bunch of NHS workers quit, in time where there already aren't enough of them, and training time takes years. The outcome of that would be more people dying. There clearly is an argument for doing mandatory NHS vaccines and there is also clearly one for not doing it. If there were a huge pool of people which could be hired to fill in the gaps, it might not be as much of an issue. There isn't though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

So GB News' plan is to increase viewer numbers by hiring a crafty anchor?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have an idea - pay every NHS worker a nice fat bonus to get the vaccine (inc. those who already have)

- more of the vaccine-hesitant will get vaccinated

- no quittings

- they're underpaid anyway

- it'll save the NHS money in the long run

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

xtothez posted:

So GB News' plan is to increase viewer numbers by hiring a crafty anchor?

Lmao

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

TACD posted:

pretty wild that people are clinging to “my right to be unvaccinated!!” in december 2021

My right to be unvaccinated AND in frequent contact with covid and the immunocompromised!

My tolerance for this bullshit was zero before 2019. Today, it's raw pure contempt. gently caress all these muppets refusing a vaccine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have an idea - pay every NHS worker a nice fat bonus to get the vaccine (inc. those who already have)

- no quittings

I like this.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

- no quittings

I think cash incentives to get vaccinated would be wildly effective and probably cheaper than almost any other covid mitigation strategy, but it’s too offensive to people’s horror at the idea of the wrong people being rewarded to ever be allowed.

I know both lazy fuckers and deeply “principled” antivaxxers who would be down the clinic in a heartbeat if you offered them £20.

Admittedly it might exacerbate the problem of people finding ways to get 30 jabs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Never thought I'd die side by side with Mr Blobby

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

How about side by side with a oval office?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

How about side by side with a oval office?

I'm trying to come up with a witty line about women's bathrooms but I am jab-fogged to all hell

Guava, say something funny for me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

How about side by side with a fri-

https://twitter.com/ChesskaDoodles/status/1470865475169050627?t=PGVJzDO4ML1yiMMmSezNxQ&s=19

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I don't think that argument holds much water with relation to the ethics of the situation. It automatically assumes that those NHS workers that are unvaccinated are overly beneficial compared to removing them from their positions.

By refusing vaccination, they themselves are more likely to get Covid, they are more likely to pass Covid to their patients or the patients that they come into contact with. Those arguments are obvious and have been stayed already. However, there are more factors that people ignore.

First of all, it assumes that if an unvaccinated NHS worker gets sick with Covid they just get off work for two days and come back like nothing happened. They themselves can die, leaving the NHS without a worker anyway. If the worker gets long Covid, they can be out for weeks if not months, if even. In these cases you still are left without a worker, maybe temporarily, maybe permanently. In addition to this, you cannot assume that when they return to work that they will be able to continue their work as they were. They may require a transfer to a less intensive ward or section. This might be done in one transfer but it is not unlikely that it will take multiple attempts. This is possibly due to them finding their limits, possibly finding the right interpersonal fit for both them and the team. Regardless, you are looking at disruption in this case and, to an extent, training or retraining.

Secondly, you have to consider the unvaccinated individual's mindset. How many people are seriously out there taking Covid seriously as an infectious disease who are on the fence about vaccination? I would argue very few. Anecdotally, I can say that I have heard from a reliable source that the few unvaccinated HSE workers were shuffled around a hospital in Ireland and, by sheer coincidence, shortly after every section they moved to had covid cases active. Hearing about their attitude, I would safely argue that at least some of these unvaccinated workers just don't care about Covid and either believe that it is insignificant (while people are dying around them) or have bought into the conspiracy level stuff. Regardless, these kinds of individuals are demonstrating a lack of care and the system is better off without them.

Finally, by not mandating vaccinations you are allowing the conspiracy crowd to go wild over individuals who work in health as their proof that vaccines don't work or are 5G towers or whatever. You must officially sanction these individuals, or else you lend a credence to their arguments. This will always result in a rise in the vox pop who do have trust in those with a medical background recieving bad information which will result in themselves either not getting vaccinated or not treating Covid seriously. I understand that this argument is outdated and applied better this time last year when the vaccines were being rolled out, but it is still significant enough to mention.

The only individuals who have a legitimate reason for not getting vaccinated, health worker or otherwise, are those immunocompromised and those who are allergic to the vaccination itself. To argue otherwise is an abdication of duty to your fellow person, and to argue for it is to adopt the talking points of individualists.

EDIT: Christ I missed a lot of posts while writing this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Agreed, I always assumed I'd die by his hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Penised Individual is a good username