Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I need to see this, fashion me with a link

https://twitter.com/EuphoriTori/status/1469802996318052367

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1471044602450882565?s=19

Absolutely abhorrent

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

A while back someone posted a visualisation about the change of polls, where the voters have changed etc. it was from Reddit.

Can someone repost it please (if you have any idea what I am talking about)

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

I love that TERF science is basically phrenology mixed with half remembered high school biology.

Truly a titan of rational thought.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1471071039128059907

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I'm just gonna suspect that my Irish sister and her equally Irish City-wanker-banker husband and my two extremely white nieces arent gonna be turfed out of their big house in Richmond, because of reasons.

Well, I guess actually the CTA would be one of those reasons, but same :thunk: applies if they were Dutch or something

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

notaspy posted:

A while back someone posted a visualisation about the change of polls, where the voters have changed etc. it was from Reddit.

Can someone repost it please (if you have any idea what I am talking about)

I think it was me. I'll have a look.

Ed:

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/rc1wz4/sankeyredfield_poll_8_dec_labour_38_2/

This was a week ago. Be interesting to see what it would look like now!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 15, 2021

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

https://twitter.com/ImogenWK/status/1471064903091990532

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If the trend with her books is anything to go by, she really needs an editor to produce passable work, and one of the side effects of fame is that you get to tell your editor, both professional and societal, to gently caress off.

And for some people that is the most important thing in the world, they will Post themselves all the way to hell if given half a chance because that's all that matters, that what they think and have to say is the most important thing in the world.

She wrote a series of completely serious books where the lead character is called Cormoran Strike, a name that would have been rejected by the Russ Abbott's Madhouse writing room.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ed:

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/rc1wz4/sankeyredfield_poll_8_dec_labour_38_2/

makes sense that death knight party would be mostly tories imo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She wrote a series of completely serious books where the lead character is called Cormoran Strike, a name that would have been rejected by the Russ Abbott's Madhouse writing room.

It'd be a bit on the nose if Alan Partridge wrote it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ed:

Thank you kindly

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Note that the government's own watchdog, the Independent Monitoring Authority, is suing the Home Office over this.

My five years are up in April, can't wait to go through the verification bullshit again for the privilege of not getting kicked out of the country

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Note that the government's own watchdog, the Independent Monitoring Authority, is suing the Home Office over this.

My five years are up in April, can't wait to go through the verification bullshit again for the privilege of not getting kicked out of the country

What has actually changed? I thought you always had to reapply to go from pre settled status to settled?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

She did write a detective novel about (cw transphobia) a transvestite who disguised himself as a woman to lure his female victims to their death, which is even less subtle than your idea tbh

This is just how accessory works, it's not specific to rape, & yeah it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that if you e.g. (cw the obvious) forcibly penetrate someone with an object that's a less serious offence than if you used a penis, because of the inherent magic in penises or something (JK?)

So my knowledge of the law comes from Irish law but it makes a little more sense here.

(CW law around sexual offences.)

The offence of Rape is set out in Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981.

This not only defines Rape as being specifically between a Man and a Woman (this is the language used in the act.) But also that it has to consist of the act of P into the V.

To get around the fact there is violence that takes other forms, there is a more expansive offence under Secrion 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Ammendment) Act 1990 that covers offences such as P into the Mouth, the A or the insertion of objects into the V.

Sentence wise it's identical to a Section 2 charge and is informally known by practitioners as Section 4 Rape. As far as I can see, it is wide enough to cover a multitude of potential offences and pretty much works.

I know there has been lots of talk about creating a new Consolidated Sexual Offences Act to replace the existing piecemeal laws, but anytime these things come up they get abandoned due to the amount of work involved and a fear of getting something wrong.

In other news, expect Boris to go back to trying to bring back his proposed law to make it so nobody can be prosecuted for anything that happened during the Troubles "for the sake of giving closure to the victims."

UK Supreme Court rules PSNI decision not to investigate Hooded Men case was unlawful https://jrnl.ie/5630585

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1471060452671209474?t=G43VN6iMFfAVyPbvYedFng&s=19

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 15, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first book, which she wrote under a pseudonym to prove she could write for adults without needing the crutch of Harry Potter, got absolutely zero attention until someone mysteriously leaked who had actually written it.

And for someone so openly anti-trans, it's ironic that she felt her alter ego had to be male.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Payndz posted:

And for someone so openly anti-trans, it's ironic that she felt her alter ego had to be male.

That's also the whole reason she goes by JK rather than Joanne.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

And a discredited gay conversion quack.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

I believe this was under advice from her agent and/or publisher as little boys are/were less likely to pick up a book by a female author.

Source: My mum was given the same advice when having her first children's book published in the early 00s.

Unrelated, in PMQs today Johnson briefly muttered something about Starmer "quaffing beer" in response to a question about christmas parties. Is this a reference to anything in particular?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

I believe this was under advice from her agent and/or publisher as little boys are/were less likely to pick up a book by a female author.

Source: My mum was given the same advice when having her first children's book published in the early 00s.

Unrelated, in PMQs today Johnson briefly muttered something about Starmer "quaffing beer" in response to a question about christmas parties. Is this a reference to anything in particular?

He likes to quaff beer

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

sebzilla posted:

Is this a reference to anything in particular?

He takes a drink.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Sorry for the sun link: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14826418/keir-starmer-beer-indoor-gathering/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

He's an alcoholic.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sebzilla posted:

he’s a real ale twat

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Miftan posted:

What has actually changed? I thought you always had to reapply to go from pre settled status to settled?

I'd like to know this, too - I had to apply for pre-settled, since at the time I was only in year 4 rather than year 5 of continuous residence, and then later applied for, and was granted, permanent status.
They don't give you anything official, of course - no letter or anything (the paperwork all states "NOT PROOF OF STATUS"). You get a ~share code~ instead, which you have to get off the Home Office servers fresh, valid for 30 days.

So I'm looking forward to getting Windrushed at the first IT upgrade.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stev posted:

That's specifically her agent's advice, I believe. The publishing industry is very sexist and has a belief that SFF books written by women won't sell as well - never mind that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman sold millions - so they advise female authors to use their initials rather than their full name. CJ Cherryh and NK Jemisin are examples of the practice.

E:f,b (but I did go into more detail)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Love to quaff beer and then plow my land-rover into a cyclist.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Permabanned opposition Beerquaffer58

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A PINT OF LAGER INTO MY FACE. ITS LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, KEITH.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lunar Suite posted:

I'd like to know this, too - I had to apply for pre-settled, since at the time I was only in year 4 rather than year 5 of continuous residence, and then later applied for, and was granted, permanent status.
They don't give you anything official, of course - no letter or anything (the paperwork all states "NOT PROOF OF STATUS"). You get a ~share code~ instead, which you have to get off the Home Office servers fresh, valid for 30 days.

Mine is coming up soon and I was always under the impression that I'd have to re-apply either way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He drinks a whiskey drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a cider drink
He gives the speeches that remind everyone that he's a oval office
He purges the members that remind him of the better times

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lunar Suite posted:

I think it's something about possibility of getting rejected, but not sure - the times article is paywalled.

I'm hoping my settled status is enough.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Failed Imagineer posted:

He drinks a whiskey drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a cider drink
He gives the speeches that reminds everyone that he's a oval office
He purges the members that remind him of the better times

Oh, Vicky no, Jenny's a friend, nothing happened.....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bikes get knocked down, and don't get up again, I hit them all the time with my car.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

never mind that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman sold millions - so they advise female authors to use their initials rather than their full name.

Tracy is more a less a unisex name in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Hickman

Also the covers appear to be part of a competition to see how small a font ‘Margaret’ can be printed in. The words ‘Dragonlance’ and ‘Weiss and Hickman’ are literally 30x bigger.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 15, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

Yeah, but a lot of people don't know Hickman is a man and have assumed otherwise because he gets second billing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

He's an alcoholic.

I mean probably true but it's a bit rich coming from Boris loving Johnson, a man who famously has no vices whatsoever.

Tbh if I was in Keith's position I'd probably be mainlining heroin to escape from the hell I created for myself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/rgs533/comment/honagpw/

quote:

Vaccine centre worker here again.

Whose genius idea was it to have every NHS web domain centralised on the same server? None of us can log in to sign people in because the server is fried from people booking boosters. We can’t go back to paper either because the vaccinators can’t prove people have been booked in (we can’t do walk ins, because we don’t have the staff).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

He likes to quaff beer
DPP Starmer arrives at the obscenity trial with an empty pint glass and a full golf bag.

"I'm here to quaff beers and baff queers, and I'm all out of beers. and the tremors are returning and i'm starting to bucket sweat and see the defendants as people. fetch the emergency whiskey."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

'More or less' is doing a lot of lifting there, it isn't, but this particular Tracy is a dude yes.