Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/1470453024870912000

...wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" things, where someone thought it might be nice for one URL to compare equal to a different URL if they both pointed at the same server.

It is in fact a terrible idea, but by the time they figured that out it was too late to fix it, so instead they made a new class and tell you not to use the old one.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
The Java URL class has got to crack the Top 10 Worst Programming Language Betrayals list.

Also on the list:
- The null pointer.
- The == operator in JavaScript.
- Those PHP function names that were chosen because the names didn't collide when they were hashed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

- Those PHP function names that were chosen because the names didn't collide when they were hashed.

note: the hash function was strlen

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

repiv posted:

:wtc:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

NGL for something as fundamental as a filesystem, I would support a social norm of "pay :20bux: to ask a question to the maintainer" instead of having too-nice maintainers who spend weekends fixing the problems of trillion dollar megacorps for free.
If you take that line of thinking though to its natural conclusion you get something like Solaris instead of Linux. Which is fine if that's the world you want.

But, as a hobbyist at the time, I was greatly appreciative of being able to email Dave Kleikamp back in 2008 regarding a potential data-loss bug in JFS operating on non-x86 architectures and getting confirmation of the bug and a quick resolution. I mean, I could've hunted it down myself and submitted a patch, but that's the kind of thing you want maintainers (especially file-system) participating in.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

repiv posted:

:psypop:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

It's one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" things, where someone thought it might be nice for one URL to compare equal to a different URL if they both pointed at the same server.

It is in fact a terrible idea, but by the time they figured that out it was too late to fix it, so instead they made a new class and tell you not to use the old one.

IIRC at least part of the motivation was applet origin validation back in the 90s -- if the underlying IP is used for validation rather than just the textual representation of the URL, DNS spoofing to serve bad applets becomes harder.

That seems like a reasonable to thing to check for, but also completely insane to put it in java.net.URL.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jabor posted:

It is in fact a terrible idea, but by the time they figured that out it was too late to fix it, so instead they made a new class and tell you not to use the old one expect the knowledge not to use the old one to spread through informal lore.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Looking at the docs, they indeed don't really make this problem clear (except mentioning that hashCode is blocking in it's description, but not really explaining why and how), but it does have this:

quote:

The URL class does not itself encode or decode any URL components according to the escaping mechanism defined in RFC2396. It is the responsibility of the caller to encode any fields, which need to be escaped prior to calling URL, and also to decode any escaped fields, that are returned from URL. Furthermore, because URL has no knowledge of URL escaping, it does not recognise equivalence between the encoded or decoded form of the same URL. For example, the two URLs:
http://foo.com/hello world/ and http://foo.com/hello%20world
would be considered not equal to each other.
Which makes the IP lookup even more bizarre and looks painful in its own right.

Edit: equals() does document the weirdness, though, but it's definitely not going "old API, do not use" in any clear way.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 14, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The documentation for .equals() mentions name resolution, which would therefore mean .hashCode() also has to handle it since equivalent objects would need the same hash code, though yeah, it's not explicit and pretty idiotic.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

repiv posted:

this is what happens when some dudes hobby project for making a blog becomes load bearing

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jabor posted:

That's not how URLs (or DNS) are supposed to work, though, especially since an HTTP server can serve multiple domains from the same IP:port. If they happen to be the same IP right now, that's fine, but you shouldn't assume they will still be a second from now or were a second ago. The URL should be the "primary key" for a resource, even if multiple URLs point at the same resource.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It might've been a reasonable assumption when the Java URL class was designed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah I think the ability to serve different pages based on the hostname is newer than the java URL class.

Even back then it was dumb though, since calling out to DNS made it ridiculously slow, and good luck putting URLs in a set or hash map type collection when your internet connection going down could make URLs that used to be equal stop being so while your program was running

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 14, 2021

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Two file paths being equal when they refer to the same file is sometimes a very useful property, so I can kinda see how someone would just take the same idea and apply it to URLs without thinking about it too much. Even for files having to hit the filesystem to compare ./foo and ././foo is already a problem often enough that you'd have to not have written production code using a Path type that does that to be unaware that it'd be a problem for URL, though.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Is there an explainer for how a logging framework ended up downloading and executing code for non-Java devs whose eyes glaze over when reading the JNDI Wikipedia page?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eggnogium posted:

Is there an explainer for how a logging framework ended up downloading and executing code for non-Java devs whose eyes glaze over when reading the JNDI Wikipedia page?

https://research.nccgroup.com/2021/12/12/log4j-jndi-be-gone-a-simple-mitigation-for-cve-2021-44228/

quote:

Alas, the real problem is that log4j 2.x (the version basically everyone uses) is designed in such a way that all string arguments after the main format string for the logging call are also treated as format strings.

So log4j treats every string as a format string that it should do expansion on, and one of the things it can expand is "get this object from A Source" and since java is all about Data coming from AbstractDataFactorySources one of the supported methods of getting an object is "ask this LDAP server for a .jar"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It’s got to be worse than just treating them as format strings, or else you wouldn’t have that vulnerability where you can disclose subsequent log messages until an end delimiter randomly shows up.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

more falafel please posted:

https://research.nccgroup.com/2021/12/12/log4j-jndi-be-gone-a-simple-mitigation-for-cve-2021-44228/

So log4j treats every string as a format string that it should do expansion on, and one of the things it can expand is "get this object from A Source" and since java is all about Data coming from AbstractDataFactorySources one of the supported methods of getting an object is "ask this LDAP server for a .jar"

Yeah I understand the overly aggressive string formatting, it’s just in a compiled, non-sandboxed language getting and running code from a web server at runtime is like an obviously dumb and overly convoluted idea to me but in Java it’s apparently so fundamental it ships in the standard library? I struggle to understand what the use case even is but from that explainer it seems like it’s a way to bypass de/serialization in SOA or some poo poo.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
you should check out nodejs

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

you should check out nodejs

The main thing I know it for was when it showed how fetching code at runtime is idiotic in a completely different way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

It might've been a reasonable assumption when the Java URL class was designed.
It's always been bad that a.equals(b) can yield inconsistent results over time even when a and b references themselves haven't changed. That was poorly thought out in 1996 or whatever and vhosts were a thing shortly thereafter too.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
vhosts were a thing in 1995 I'm pretty sure. Whenever httpd 1.1 came out

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
The whole point of DNS is that you don't know the IP. The Java thing categorically makes no sense, since DNS has always supported tearing down a host in one data center and rebuilding in another.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Shared hosting is a thing. A single IP can host a miriad of websites. Probably the average website share the ip with others. Is not only a bad practice, slow and dumb, is also wrong.

Edit:
oh, you guys already commented this

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 15, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tei posted:

Is not only a bad practice, slow and dumb, is also wrong.

java: not only bad, slow and dumb, but also wrong

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yes, having the URL hashcode method do a DNS lookup definitely means that the entire language and standard library is trash.

Let's all move to Python. Or PHP. Or NodeJS. Or Ruby. Or C# (paging Shaggar).

Or: What about Haskell? It definitely has no side effects! (Side effects may include drowsiness)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagacity posted:

Yes, having the URL hashcode method do a DNS lookup definitely means that the entire language and standard library is trash.

Let's all move to Python. Or PHP. Or NodeJS. Or Ruby. Or C# (paging Shaggar).

Or: What about Haskell? It definitely has no side effects! (Side effects may include drowsiness)

I don't think I've ever had to worry about switching everything to a new language (because the decision to use java/c#/typescript/whatever was taken long before I was onboarded)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Sagacity posted:

Yeah if anything it’s the fact that the entire language and standard library are trash means that the URL hashcode method was destined to be trash too

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I genuinely wonder if whatever standard library equivalent of the URL class in a different language has made the same mistake.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Digging through the project I'm forking. I didn't even get around to asking why lights were hitting an opengl uniforms limit of 16. Packing them all into one draw call is neat and all, but means no more than 14(15?) lights and 1 camera in scene. I was wondering why and how and then I found it:

code:
    for (i, light) in lights.enumerate() {
        shader_source.push_str(&light.shader_source(i as u32));
        dir_fun.push_str(&format!("color += calculate_lighting{}(surface_color, position, normal, metallic, roughness, occlusion);\n", i))
    }
That ... is injecting a function per light, named using the light's index, into the shader. Specifically the {} gets replaced with the value of i.

So those functions are filled in elsewhere based on light type, for example a point light:

code:
    fn shader_source(&self, i: u32) -> String {
        format!(
        "
            uniform sampler2D shadowMap{};
            layout (std140) uniform LightUniform{}
            {{
                BaseLight base{};
                Attenuation attenuation{};
                vec3 position{};
                float cutoff{};
                vec3 direction{};
                float shadowEnabled{};
                mat4 shadowMVP{};
            }};
            vec3 calculate_lighting{}(vec3 surface_color, vec3 position, vec3 normal, float metallic, float roughness, float occlusion)
            {{
                if(base{}.intensity > 0.001) {{
                    vec3 light_color = base{}.intensity * base{}.color;
                    vec3 light_direction = normalize(position - position{});
                    float angle = acos(dot(light_direction, normalize(direction{})));
                    float cutoff = cutoff{};

vec3 result = vec3(0.0);
                    if (angle < cutoff) {{
                        result = calculate_attenuated_light(light_color, attenuation{}, position{}, surface_color, position, normal, 
                            metallic, roughness, occlusion) * (1.0 - smoothstep(0.75 * cutoff, cutoff, angle));
                        if(shadowEnabled{} > 0.5) {{
                            result *= calculate_shadow(shadowMap{}, shadowMVP{}, position);
                        }}
                    }}
                    return result;
                }}
                else {{
                    return vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
                }}
            }}

", i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i)
    }
loving...

code:
, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i,
:barf:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 15, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's what you say when you see that code!

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
It's the part of Sweet Child O' Mine right before Axl is like "where do we go where do we go now".

Ay ay ay ay ay ay ay ay ay ay ay.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The authors didn't realize they could just write {1}, huh?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/iwsfutcmd/status/1471254599684083714

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I just spent entire day on debugging weird IMAP stuff like invalid utf8 sequences, newlines in subjects or text with embedded nulls. So I wrote some tests.

Turns out nulls in subjects were converted to utf8 sequence of 0xEFBFBD, which is U+FFFD: "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER", or �. :psyduck:

Then I found out that nulls in message body were converted to 0x80. Which is an invalid utf8 sequence by itself. :psyboom:

I have no idea if the server does that or Python's IMAP library. Emails are like printers, don't touch them if you can help it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I � Unicode

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bongo Bill posted:

I � Unicode

Mods, new thread title, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The heaviest book that I've ever seen was a hardcopy of the Unicode standard.

Volmarias posted:

Mods, new thread title, please