Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I rather enjoyed the melee dps one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Are any of the role quests actually good? I haven't heard anything positive and the magic dps one was really meh. Like, okay, coda for Ishgard, but covering parts I don't really care about.

Ranged is pretty good. Nice to see how Doma is doing and wrap up some lingering Stormblood threads.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Having done melee and magic, magic is the better one, just by virtue of actually covering some follow up to MSQ, whether it's needed or not is up for debate but it felt like it actually did something at least.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Has anyone done the capstone for the role quests/was it cool? I'm not going to read any spoilers about it, just curious if there's anything really interesting about it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
As someone with zero intrest in Gridania and its lovely useless elementals, the tank one did not do much for me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've done Healer and mDPS - I thought healer wasn't too bad, the capstone battle actually makes you do healing stuff.

The mDPS one wasn't /bad/, but it sure felt like "why is this a role quest, much less a magic one?" and made me sad we don't even get a check-in job quest like we did in ShB.

role quests sort of feel like they just wanted somewhere to put side stories without overwhelming you.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 15, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Has anyone done the capstone for the role quests/was it cool? I'm not going to read any spoilers about it, just curious if there's anything really interesting about it.

Role quests won't have a capstone until 6.1 at earliest, although studium quests do have a capstone in already.

I've done tank, melee DPS and healer so far and just started ranged phys, so far I'd rank them healer > melee > tank.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

Are any of the role quests actually good? I haven't heard anything positive and the magic dps one was really meh. Like, okay, coda for Ishgard, but covering parts I don't really care about.

The healer role quest is good if you like certain characters from Stormblood and enjoy seeing the conclusion to their individual sagas. I don't think they're mindblowingly amazing, but they're a nice, organic way to tie up loose ends and spend some time with characters who've largely been shuffled away from the MSQ.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Charles Get-Out posted:

The melee DPS one was pretty fun

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As a counterpoint, I found the melee dps role quest bafflingly bad, given Limsa Lominsa shouldn’t be a hard place to write fun stories in.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Role quests won't have a capstone until 6.1 at earliest, although studium quests do have a capstone in already.

I've done tank, melee DPS and healer so far and just started ranged phys, so far I'd rank them healer > melee > tank.

Oh, good to know, thanks.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
RE magic DPS role: the blasphemy and the dragons in the final zone have the same form. so I don't know if the implication is that the final zone ones are that way because of Meteieon or if all of them are representative of the the dragons bodies on their home planet

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

hazardousmouse posted:

RE magic DPS role: the blasphemy and the dragons in the final zone have the same form. so I don't know if the implication is that the final zone ones are that way because of Meteieon or if all of them are representative of the the dragons bodies on their home planet

The Blasphemy just looks like a dragon because the religion of Ishgard traditionally sees dragons as demons. It has nothing to do with actual dragons, mutated or otherwise, it's just a reflection of the local human faith.

Edit: They're only called Blapsphemies in the first place because in Thavnair they looked liked twisted versions of their religious iconography. The idea is that they look like an "image of despair" as imagined by whoever transformed. Meteion has no control over them and never has, she just shoots despair particles through space and lets things play out naturally from there.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 15, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do any of the role quests actually lean into what role they're supposed to be about? I found that the tank one didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the tank role at all and felt more like a healer role quest until the final solo duty (which, admittedly, was pretty fun I thought).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Harrow posted:

Do any of the role quests actually lean into what role they're supposed to be about? I found that the tank one didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the tank role at all and felt more like a healer role quest until the final solo duty (which, admittedly, was pretty fun I thought).

Honestly that's probably my issue with Magic DPS. In ShB at least you were hunting down your First counterpart kind of.

The Magic DPS one just felt like an unrelated sidequest chain.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

Trailer music I really thought the wings of hope part of the trailer theme would be one snippet of its own song, and was looking forward to hearing it all game, so I was pretty disappointed that that's it.

I feel this same way except about zone 6's original BGM that I can't go back to. :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

The melee role quests are less about being a puncher specifically and more about being a squad commander I guess?

I've only done a few of the healer quests but the theme seems to be providing therapy to somebody who's needed it for a long time.

Tank wasn't really about being a tank at all, yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've only done 4 of the 5 role quests but I liked both the Tank and rdps ones a lot. The magic one was pretty lame, and the healer one is fine.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Healer. There's the obvious mechanical stuff, including the final duty, but also it's about helping Ala Mhigans heal the scars inflicted by Garlean occupation.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I'm enjoying the Studium quests more to be honest, but also I can appreciate some of the things we're going back for. Start of the healer role quests felt rough to read through personally because it was a clear chain of people's trauma and stress intercepting and also I have a soft spot for Fordola .

If you want to see more light humor writing or enjoyed the Crystarium quests, I really must say that the Studia ones are light hearted school anime and that is good.The larping gathering romance has to be seen to be believed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Flytitle posted:

I really must say that the Studia ones are light hearted school anime and that is good.The larping gathering romance has to be seen to be believed.

That's the only one I've done so far, and it was incredible.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

MechaX posted:

I feel like with no real way the queues are getting better, but only worse, and I would like to at least be able to play this after work to unwind, I feel like I should just be starting on a tank just for the quick duty queues at this point. DPS wait times are still rather rough.

This brings me to my next subject; holy gently caress you Warriors are eating for real in this patch. It took me a minute to realize that Nascent is now your Darkest Night equivalent and Bloodwhetting seems like it's real, real good in general.

Can't wait to get Fellest Cleave at 90

Nascent was this good in ShB, it just took skill to line up Infuriates and other CDs with Nascent instead of just pressing your normal combo.

TBN is good but I always considered it the SECOND best tanking button.

Countblanc posted:

I've only done 4 of the 5 role quests but I liked both the Tank and rdps ones a lot. The magic one was pretty lame, and the healer one is fine.

I liked Healer the best. Ranged and Melee were both good. Tank and Caster were meh to me.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

They both re-use the Mist Dragon boss model from The Burn so I'm not sure how much I'd read into it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love how both the gathering and fishing studium quest have addressed (late MSQ location spoilers) travelling to the moon and the past.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I have a Red Mage at 80, but am still working on the Shadowbringers MSQ.

I went ahead and unlocked Reaper and Sage, but I'm not sure what to do to level them, since they're not high enough to pick up the MSQ yet.

I've not leveled lower level jobs (other than crafting), so I'm not sure how it works haha.

Also, how difficult it is to get the various raid mounts? I saw an Omega mount that looks really cool, and I know there's a Rathalos, and some sort of Nier crossover? So much to do!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Annath posted:

I went ahead and unlocked Reaper and Sage, but I'm not sure what to do to level them, since they're not high enough to pick up the MSQ yet.

Pixie quests, daily frontline roulette, and bozja.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Annath posted:

I've not leveled lower level jobs (other than crafting), so I'm not sure how it works haha.

So the best way is probably to get them to 71 and take them to Bozja, but I don't think you unlock that until after you've finished Shadowbringers as well as the Alliance Raid series in Stormblood (Return to Ivalice).

However you can get started on unlocking the Pixie Tribe Quests, starting with the Manic Pixie Dream Realm quest, which is a pretty decent chunk of daily XP for not a lot of effort.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Pixie quests, daily frontline roulette, and bozja.

I can't recall when beast tribes unlock during an expansion but bozja definitely isn't until after Shadowbringers MSQ is done.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Annath posted:

Also, how difficult it is to get the various raid mounts? I saw an Omega mount that looks really cool, and I know there's a Rathalos, and some sort of Nier crossover? So much to do!

If you wanna level other jobs it's pretty easy, you can do these once a day for a bunch of exp:

Frontline roulette
Leveling roulette
Alliance roulette

and you can also do catbooks in idyllshire to get half a level's worth of exp once a week

other than those there's also MSQ roulette where you do either of the two big dungeons with unskippable cutscenes from the end of ARR, these take a WHILE but are the most efficient exp/time things in the game

also at level 71 you can do bozja to level up a class quickly (and get to play with their skills of a higher level), though you need to have done the ivalice alliance raids first

Oh, also if you unlock the pixie beast tribe quests, you can do those 3 quests once a day for good exp

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've only done the healer and tank ones so far but they're ok. Tank is The Kan-E-Senna Show

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Finally started Endwalker today and it’s fantastic. So many small gameplay enhancements (quest types/aether UI/streamlining gun breaker buttons/cutscene animations etc) also the first zone and music have been stellar. Incredibly excited to progress, also what seems to be the first dungeon has me pretty excited after 5.55.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't think I unlocked any of the Alliance Raids other than the Crystal Tower ones needed to progress the MSQ... I'll have to look up how to get them.

What is Bozja exactly? Is it like a dungeon? Or a special zone?

I have basically only ground out the MSQ during my entire time playing the game, this will be the first time I hit level cap when the expansion is still current :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Oh dang, that means you haven't done eureka either huh?
Imagine a zone full of fate trains but with consumables that let you stab god

GentlemanGiant posted:

They both re-use the Mist Dragon boss model from The Burn so I'm not sure how much I'd read into it.

Somehow I totally forgot about that guy, thanks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Putting the Gunbreaker cartridge combo on one button is messing with me in a weird way that I acknowledge is very much a me problem: it's messing with my Red Mage muscle memory. I had the Gnashing Fang combo and the Red Mage melee combo on the same buttons, but now one of them is all on one button so switching back and forth between the jobs as I'm leveling RDM is scrambling my brain a little bit.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Annath posted:

It's a special zone, where you run round with random other players doing FATEs. You can use any character level 71+ and they level sync to 80 but you still get exp.

As well, there are consumable items you can find ("lost actions") that grant big buffs or powerful abilities

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Annath posted:

I don't think I unlocked any of the Alliance Raids other than the Crystal Tower ones needed to progress the MSQ... I'll have to look up how to get them.

Bozja is a special zone, an iteration of Eureka, that works like this:

You're synced to level 80, abilities and gear. Character progression is based off your Mettle level, which you earn while in the zone.
Grinding mobs helps spawn fates. Doing this fates spawns Critical Engagements, which are bosses that get cordoned off in the zone, that you queue for while in the zone with 24/48 other people. Certain engagements can also spawn solo duels, which you are allowed to queue for if you complete the critical engagement without failing any mechanic. They're hard fights that require good mechanics and preparation.
You get unique potions called essences which can provide huge stat boots or alter your characters normal abilities, like one that decreases healing output but ramps up damage dealt.
There are also special abilities you can find that get equipped onto your duty action bar, that range from minor utility to incredibly powerful.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Annath posted:

I have basically only ground out the MSQ during my entire time playing the game, this will be the first time I hit level cap when the expansion is still current :v:

Bozja is a massive instanced area with FATEs and the occasional boss fight your can sign up for (you get a notification when one is about to happen) and it scales your level UP to 80, so your equipment doesn't really matter and you get to use all your fun buttons. Also you get lots of exp for doing the fates and boss fights and it scales to your level. Also minor thing but all enemies in bozja have no positionals, so you always get the rear/flank bonus

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So I just completed the lvl 89 dungeon and following trial, and have some thoughts on it.

The notable weapons representing the associated NPC allies from our past was really nice. As soon as I registered what was happening, I thought "Oh I brought Estinien and Alphinaud, I wonder if we will see something from Ysayle." When I got to the last boss without seeing anything I was a little bummed.

Then the bastard starts casting Curtain Call and oh poo poo there's not ice blocks to hide behind and who swoops in but Shiva to help us out when we absolutely needed it and I about broke down right there.

This game has some unforgettable characters and this whole expansion had felt like a love letter to every single one we have lost along the way and it's just amazing. And I'm not even done with the MSQ, but I already want to go back and NG+ some of the old expansions MSQs just to revisit the whole saga (except ARR because who has the time for that).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Re: Bozja

Sounds like a great time! Where does it start? And can I unlock it with my level 80 RDM and then get in on my lower level Jobs, or does it have a minimum level of 71 to actually enter it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It should start in the Doman Enclave Kugane with a quest called Hail to the Queen, after you've beaten all the Stormblood Ivalice raids and followup quests.

You need to be 71 to enter, but that that point it will sync you up to 80.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 15, 2021