Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Get a Nosefrida.
https://frida.com/products/nosefrida

It looks way more disgusting than it actually is. And that motherfucker works... we had lots of colds and the Nosefrida paid for itself the first time it sucked out a gallon of boogers and let my kid sleep comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
nose Frieda is another good one

water bottles for parents because you might get dehydrated keeping baby alive for the first two weeks

throw away any reclined sleepers they receive as hand me downs, they’ve been recalled for safety

also books/printouts that is high contrast, my baby loved staring at them as a book, we got a crinkly high contrast book with a formula sample and was like ok let’s just look at this baby and she was loving transfixed .

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

no parent of a newborn has ever had enough blankets or frozen meals

this good swaddle blankets and frozen homemade meals.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Friends, I hope all your children look at you like my toddler looks at Goldfish crackers.

Yadoppsi posted:

My sister is giving birth for the first time soon and asked the family to get gifts to help with the upcoming baby instead of her or her husband.

New parents, what were some things you ended up needing that you may not have thought you did or what are some things you knew you needed but got way too few of?

Books. You cannot have too many books. Little ones will get bored of one and become enthralled with another at random, so having lots of choices is key. High-contrast books are best for newborns, but it's not like the things go bad so even if you get a book that skews a little older those are helpful.

Weirdly there's a board book for adults, Safe Baby Handling Tips, that my 17-mo daughter loves and has always loved. It's meant to be a joke but it's got high-contrast black-and-white images of babies, and kids don't seem to mind if the actual content is a baby inside an aquarium with a big "WRONG" next to it. Plus the included Wheel of Responsibility is actually helpful at times! A rare dual gift, if your sister is the kind of person who would find that kind of thing funny.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yeah never too young to read to your kid every day . I read to our baby 3x a day and at about 4-5 months she would turn the pages of the board book. I have so many dang books but in a short time you will see the positive effects of reading a lot to your kid.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 2.5yo recently started picking up "momma's book" and reading to us. Turning page by page, "and then the scary monster came"; next page "and then the scary monster came"; next page "ah scary monster!" then runs out of the room.

Check your local library for when they're doing book sales. Ours does "fill a big shopping bag for $5" or something like that a couple of times year. You can pick up dozens of books that way for next to nothing.

Your library might do a 1000 books before kindergarten program as well
https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/

For a little bit older kids, my daughter's been loving this book:

and we think she'll like this one for Christmas based on her response to the above:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions and I already know I'm going to be stopping over between work and college to give the parents powernapping opportunities.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

brugroffil posted:

My 2.5yo recently started picking up "momma's book" and reading to us. Turning page by page, "and then the scary monster came"; next page "and then the scary monster came"; next page "ah scary monster!" then runs out of the room.

Check your local library for when they're doing book sales. Ours does "fill a big shopping bag for $5" or something like that a couple of times year. You can pick up dozens of books that way for next to nothing.

Your library might do a 1000 books before kindergarten program as well
https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/

For a little bit older kids, my daughter's been loving this book:

and we think she'll like this one for Christmas based on her response to the above:

hahah I haven’t read the book with no pictures in 2 years and I think I can still recite it by heart.

I have no idea if it’s in your area, but we signed up for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library

https://imaginationlibrary.com

totally free, the books we got were all really good, and as they got older my kids loved getting something in the mail of their own.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I found a new favorite pizza place not far from me, it's a little hole in the wall and the pizza is fine, nothing special.

But the reason I love it is because the store footprint is huge and very long and there are booths and tables all the way throughout and no one is ever there. So I can take my kids out for pizza and not have massive covid anxiety i would get at another restarurant where like 9 other tables would be filled up near me and i feel like id be constantly breathing in germs.

I took the kids out for pizza there a couple times. Tonight we were there for about an hour and there were only 2 other tables and both of them were like 30 ft from us, it was great.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Get a Nosefrida.
https://frida.com/products/nosefrida

It looks way more disgusting than it actually is. And that motherfucker works... we had lots of colds and the Nosefrida paid for itself the first time it sucked out a gallon of boogers and let my kid sleep comfortably.

the nose frida is exactly as disgusting as it looks

it's effective as hell and every parent should have one but loving come on lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah and you want it before you need it while cursing about the goddamn bulbs being worthless.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
you have to steal the bulb from the hospital. the orange ones from the hospital are way better than the white ones you get from Target

both are worthless though compared to sucking the snot out of your child with your own lungs

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

the nose frida is exactly as disgusting as it looks

it's effective as hell and every parent should have one but loving come on lol
lol on my first child we had the frida and some other bulb type suckers and none of them worked a drat. I became the disgusting parent that covers their kids mouth and sucks their nostrils out with my own mouth. Within a second everything is out and I just spit it out into a tissue. That became the norm and we didn't bother with bulbs/suckers for our second child. gently caress typing it out makes me realize how gross it is. Whatever it's effective.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

both are worthless though compared to sucking the snot out of your child with your own lungs
:yeah:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

brugroffil posted:

this book looks awesome, i'm adding it to the xmas book gift for my older one :getin:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tzen posted:

lol on my first child we had the frida and some other bulb type suckers and none of them worked a drat. I became the disgusting parent that covers their kids mouth and sucks their nostrils out with my own mouth. Within a second everything is out and I just spit it out into a tissue. That became the norm and we didn't bother with bulbs/suckers for our second child. gently caress typing it out makes me realize how gross it is. Whatever it's effective.

Can't be any grosser than a full on, up the back poonami of a blowout

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sticking home with the little one and a stomach bug and diarrhea, and, if you haven't heard, it sucks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tzen posted:

this book looks awesome, i'm adding it to the xmas book gift for my older one :getin:

Yeah while I haven't memorized that one because my memory has gone to Sandra Boynton books instead, it's super good.

One hippo, all alone
Calls two hippos on the phone
Three hippos at the door
Bring along another four

I legit could write out the entire book :3:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tzen posted:

I will change the grossest, most rancid, dripping diapers while whistling, but this made me gurge in my mouth a little.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

silvergoose posted:

Yeah while I haven't memorized that one because my memory has gone to Sandra Boynton books instead, it's super good.

One hippo, all alone
Calls two hippos on the phone
Three hippos at the door
Bring along another four

I legit could write out the entire book :3:

ALL THE HIPPOS GO BESERK!!!!!!!!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

camoseven posted:

ALL THE HIPPOS GO BESERK!!!!!!!!!

The most disturbing page, for me, is seven hippos moving west...two of the hippos are pulling the wagon while the other five ride! is it a taking turns thing? did they draw the short straw? is it some sort of indentured servitude???

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

silvergoose posted:

The most disturbing page, for me, is seven hippos moving west...two of the hippos are pulling the wagon while the other five ride! is it a taking turns thing? did they draw the short straw? is it some sort of indentured servitude???

please don't kinkshame the hippos

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

camoseven posted:

please don't kinkshame the hippos

no that's the belly button thing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fosborb posted:

no that's the belly button thing

We hippos love our belly b's

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

One ofbmy kids came home and and said one girl was calling another girl on the playground a 'pick-me' and I thought she was trying to say pigmy but I was wrong.

What the gently caress is a 'pick me?' Like, a try hard or keener? Help!

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Dec 14, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Another Bill posted:

One ofbmy kids came home and and said one girl was calling another girl on the playground a 'pick-me' and I thought she was trying to say pigmy but I was wrong.

What the gently caress is a 'pick me?' Like, a try hard or keener? Help!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pick%20me%20girl

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

At like primary school level it's used more broadly and usually closer to "try-hard" than that.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

so what’s everyone’s strat for unvaccinated toddlers and Christmas gatherings. the in-laws are definitely ‘Covid is over’ types, and this is just loving miserable.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

meanolmrcloud posted:

so what’s everyone’s strat for unvaccinated toddlers and Christmas gatherings. the in-laws are definitely ‘Covid is over’ types, and this is just loving miserable.

I'd love a strict 6 foot and/or mask rule for our 5 month old but that's wishful thinking and still doesn't protect airborne infection.
We are making everyone test beforehand (my FIL is also immunocompromised) - but even then an early infection can slip through the cracks there, but also all of the adults are fully vaxxed and most (possibly all) are boostered
She has to start daycare at the start of the year so we might just be delaying the inevitable anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stepdaughter went to an outdoor birthday party on the weekend and yesterday one of the kids who was there tested positive for COVID. cue pulling her from school, rapid tests for everyone (negative thankfully), submitting saliva tests for real PCR results, etc

getting conflicting information from different people at the school about whether she can go back given a negative PCR, which is super helpful

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

daughter had her first active shooter drill. cool country.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Subjunctive posted:

stepdaughter went to an outdoor birthday party on the weekend and yesterday one of the kids who was there tested positive for COVID. cue pulling her from school, rapid tests for everyone (negative thankfully), submitting saliva tests for real PCR results, etc

getting conflicting information from different people at the school about whether she can go back given a negative PCR, which is super helpful

i'm really hoping we can make it to Friday without a COVID scare, I really want to see my folks over the holidays. I'm glad everyone has tested negative!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'd love a strict 6 foot and/or mask rule for our 5 month old but that's wishful thinking and still doesn't protect airborne infection.
We are making everyone test beforehand (my FIL is also immunocompromised) - but even then an early infection can slip through the cracks there, but also all of the adults are fully vaxxed and most (possibly all) are boostered
She has to start daycare at the start of the year so we might just be delaying the inevitable anyway

if people are doing rapid lateral flows like Binax make sure they are doing them at home and not like in the garage or whatever when they get there. the tests are sensitive to external temps (instructions say they aren't supposed to be used below 55F)

PCRs would be best, but that's a 3 day turn around in a lot of the US so I get if that's not exactly feasible

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

fosborb posted:

if people are doing rapid lateral flows like Binax make sure they are doing them at home and not like in the garage or whatever when they get there. the tests are sensitive to external temps (instructions say they aren't supposed to be used below 55F)

PCRs would be best, but that's a 3 day turn around in a lot of the US so I get if that's not exactly feasible

Yeah we're basically at the whims of the inaccuracies of rapid testing and the 3-day window on PCRs where people should quarantine but absolutely won't

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

our kid has a 2 week break and no family around and we don’t have vacation so parents are all pitching in. they’re boosted and still wear masks but I asked them all to take PCR or binax tests and then my family will a few days after them.

I built a corsi cube as well to run in the main gathering floor of the house to ventilate better since I live in MI and it’s gonna be cold

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
My kid is 2 1/4 and the pandemic is basically over for us. We're vaxxed and boosted and flying on airplanes. If your kid is normally healthy and the people they spend the most time with are vaxxed, then they'll probably be fine!*

*fine-ness not guaranteed and this is not a judgment of anyone else's decisions or a demand that you do what my family has chosen

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Three year old gets clinical trial dose #2 today. Hooray for a 75% chance that we've protected her a little bit!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Three year old gets clinical trial dose #2 today. Hooray for a 75% chance that we've protected her a little bit!

:coronatoot:

we're debating trying to sign up for the Moderna clinical trials out of Lurie's Children Hospital in Chicago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm fortunate that the grandparents who live close to us are older and cautious about their (and others') health and the other set who have been Over Covid since July of 2020 live across the country and won't fly to see me anyway (but not because of covid).

these days though we get a lot of grief about how we never see them in person and I'm like "yeah dad reality sucks but that's life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

brugroffil posted:

:coronatoot:

we're debating trying to sign up for the Moderna clinical trials out of Lurie's Children Hospital in Chicago

I highly recommend it. Phase 3 trials going on right now are the likely EUA candidate. The doctor's visits are a bit hairy because of the blood draw and shot, but no more so than any other procedure for a toddler.

Also, we get paid for :siren: medical experiments :siren: on our child so it's a few grand dumped into her college fund.

Edit: they also dumped a boatload of Moderns promotional swag on us so my kid is looking stylish in branded bright yellow Moderna n95s and a backpack that announces to our lovely red state that she got ~the clot shot~.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Dec 15, 2021