Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

8mo old has begun teething in spades

On the night I begin a regular shift at my new job, which starts at 0630 and is a 50min drive away

She won’t settle in her crib, it was tough for me to get her to settle even holding and rocking her, but she does still fit in her glider so there’s that. She’s constantly fussing, and this is after 2.5mL Tylenol. Earlier today daycare called and said her temp was 99.8 and she was super fussy, which wasn’t actually surprising since we saw the tooth (her first) poking through her gum last night and the storm was coming. Currently in her glider and she’s settled but is now wide awake and baby talking, which is honestly adorable as gently caress and it just makes me want to run in there now and hold her. Guess all we can do for nighttime is alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen every three hours. Poor girl, it can’t be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

obi_ant posted:

My kid 2 1/2 has decided she is scared of the dark now. Any suggestions for a nice night light? We currently just use a lamp.

We use the Hatch Rest (1st gen). You can set it to any color, any brightness. Has a built in white noise generator, and you can program it. So we do a soft purple light with white noise during sleep time and then switch to a brighter orange light with very little noise when it's time to wake up. Really helped when the kiddo was waking up at like 5am every morning to teach her that it was still sleep time.

https://www.hatch.co/rest?gclid=Cj0KCQiAweaNBhDEARIsAJ5hwbf72ZeIOngFpcRf2yJC2h3DSJ6tlrwkbnxmnDqmNdBSAUgaIvavKLoaAqCQEALw_wcB

I think first gen better than second gen because it's controlled via bluetooth by your phone, not wifi, so still works if your internet goes out.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have a Hatch 1st gen for the first kid and got the 2nd gen Hatch for the younger baby. Like previous poster mentioned they work differently and have pros/cons. Are you sure it doesn't work when the internet goes down? Generally Wifi based devices that connect to phone apps will still work as long as they are both connected to the same network. I guess I haven't had an internet outage to check it though.

I actually prefer the 2nd gen over the 1st because my Wifi network reaches well into my backyard so I can do yardwork with my phone listening for the kid, but bluetooth doesn't reach quite as far.

For both our kids we have them set on a dim red color and static sounds for sleeping.

e: our newer hatch has battery backup too which is nice - it will still work in power outages.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

extravadanza posted:

Are you sure it doesn't work when the internet goes down? Generally Wifi based devices that connect to phone apps will still work as long as they are both connected to the same network.
I'm not sure - it was something people complained about in reviews though.

extravadanza posted:

I actually prefer the 2nd gen over the 1st because my Wifi network reaches well into my backyard so I can do yardwork with my phone listening for the kid, but bluetooth doesn't reach quite as far.
Yeah, 2nd gen has an audio monitor, which is a nice perk. I wasn't sweating that though since I already use a video monitor.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Any tricks to get an 11-week-old used to baby wearing? Ours has decided that every time her face is in contact with a chest (any chest will do) it's time to root, peck, and yell if no milk is forthcoming. If she can see out the side, she's a little happier, but currently her vision is mostly blocked by the buckles on our apparatus

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Any tricks to get an 11-week-old used to baby wearing? Ours has decided that every time her face is in contact with a chest (any chest will do) it's time to root, peck, and yell if no milk is forthcoming. If she can see out the side, she's a little happier, but currently her vision is mostly blocked by the buckles on our apparatus

We had that problem too and “solved” it by walking around with a bouncy step for about 5-10 minutes after putting our son on one of our chests. It would put him right to sleep. He was a little younger than yours at the time though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Made the mistake of feeding the ogre toddler brisket on Saturday. We have paid for this error as his butt has formed a portal to the poop dimension the last few days. He's doing better but man i have gotten zero work done today.

Hopefully he's completely recovered before we drive out to west Texas on Friday. But maaan next week's going to be hellish with both kids out of school and my work not shutting down until Thursday.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will start off with the cheapest option at the moment (Christmas lights) and move on up. Although I think part of it, is that she wants for us to be in the bed with her as well as "being scared of the dark".

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
For people using night lights and/or white noise overnight, one thing I did was buy an APC battery backup and surge protector for our Hatch. If you live somewhere where power blips off occasionally, it can be worth it to avoid a needless overnight wakeup. I've already had ours save us a couple of times at least in less than a year. If you can afford it it's nice extra piece of mind. Just make sure to disable any "lost power" warning beeps and give it a test run.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rooster Brooster posted:

For people using night lights and/or white noise overnight, one thing I did was buy an APC battery backup and surge protector for our Hatch. If you live somewhere where power blips off occasionally, it can be worth it to avoid a needless overnight wakeup. I've already had ours save us a couple of times at least in less than a year. If you can afford it it's nice extra piece of mind. Just make sure to disable any "lost power" warning beeps and give it a test run.

Hatch rest+ has a built in battery

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 18mo broke his night light and creepily prefers the darkness now :ohdear:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Genpei Turtle posted:

We had that problem too and “solved” it by walking around with a bouncy step for about 5-10 minutes after putting our son on one of our chests. It would put him right to sleep. He was a little younger than yours at the time though.

Hmm she likes bouncy walking so that might be a good call anyways, thanks

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
*taps thread title*

One of the twins just let out a singular log that was big enough to clog the toilet and wouldn’t flush. He’s not even 5 yet.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Welp, after being relatively quiet for the first four weeks, my baby now seems to be colicky. She's been fussy and crying intermittently for about 5 hours now. She had an especially intense hour-plus-long crying stretch about 3 hours ago. God, I can't believe that the last four weeks might have been the easy part.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

drainpipe posted:

Welp, after being relatively quiet for the first four weeks, my baby now seems to be colicky. She's been fussy and crying intermittently for about 5 hours now. She had an especially intense hour-plus-long crying stretch about 3 hours ago. God, I can't believe that the last four weeks might have been the easy part.

This is giving me some flashbacks. After the first month I didn’t think having a newborn was so bad. Then came the colic in months 2 and 3 which were pure hell.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

drainpipe posted:

Our son used to cry from 6:30pm until 10pm. Every night. It does eventually pass. Hang in there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Any advice for fighting car sickness? The ogre toddler's barfed two days in a row since we put in his new forward facing car seat. He's ridden in them before with no issue - his older sister's, when she wasn't in the car. I guess short, twenty minute trips are one thing but we were planning a drive out to west Texas this weekend.

Should I just bite the bullet and put his seat back into its rear facing config?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

citybeatnik posted:

Any advice for fighting car sickness? The ogre toddler's barfed two days in a row since we put in his new forward facing car seat. He's ridden in them before with no issue - his older sister's, when she wasn't in the car. I guess short, twenty minute trips are one thing but we were planning a drive out to west Texas this weekend.

Should I just bite the bullet and put his seat back into its rear facing config?

You could try turning it back again, see if that helps. I've been told kids will often "grow into" car sickness around 4 years old, so he might have just not been prone to it when you tried before. Worst case, he's just more sensitive now and you'll have to get used to keeping barf bags near his seat, and train him to use them. Or whatever people do when they have carsick kids.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
We use travel sickness tablets for ours before long trips. They’re for kids and have dosage for 2+ years. We’re in Australia so our brands won’t be the same as yours but the active ingredient is Hyoscine hydrobromide.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If he was fine rear facing then I'd turn him back.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Rear facing is far safer anyway. We kept our kids that way until they were physically too big for it to work anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Keep you kids rear facing until age three or "as long as possible", whichever occurs later.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm not really sure whether to post this in E/N, the Japan thread in T&T, or here, but I guess I'll post it here since it's mainly about parenting in my mind.

I'm an American living in Japan, married to a Japanese woman. We have a 5 month old daughter, and we're going back to my wife's hometown in rural Japan for the holidays. Long before we ever finalized plans to visit her family at the end of this year, I set a rule with my wife: I wouldn't let my daughter meet or play with anyone who isn't vaccinated against covid. I told her I didn't plan on budging with this rule, no matter who it was. She agreed with me. At the time, positive cases were rapidly increasing in Japan, and especially Tokyo, where we live, and my wife was very worried about our daughter potentially getting infected.

Fast forward to about a week before we leave to visit her family, and I've since learned that a significant portion - perhaps even half or more - of her family is not vaccinated, and has no plans to get vaccinated, including her brother. The reasons her family has for not getting vaccinated are varied, but they mostly boil down to thinking that covid isn't a problem in rural Japan and being scared of side effects. Covid cases in the part of Japan where my wife's family is located have always been significantly lower than Tokyo, and they have had 0 new reported cases for weeks on end. There are, however, a few dedicated anti-vaccine people who tiptoe dangerously close to conspiracy theory territory.

After learning that we were planning on not bringing our daughter to meet unvaccinated people, the the pushback from my wife's family has been pretty severe; several people are now very upset with my wife - and especially me, once they found out I was the one that brought the idea up. Someone who was planning on lending us their car for a month has rescinded the offer, my wife has now turned around and thinks there's no reason to keep our daughter away from unvaccinated people, and I'm getting put in a pretty precarious position. I'm the only non-Japanese person in my wife's entire extended family, and this being rural Japan, some family members were... disapproving, although not outright opposed, to us getting married. I've managed to build up a decent amount of respect from them, since I speak Japanese fluently and do my best to act as politely as I can. I don't want to lose that respect if I can avoid it, especially since we're entertaining the thought of eventually moving back to her hometown so our daughter can be around family.

My wife was also very wary about vaccines in the first place, to the point where I had to strongly urge her to get vaccinated despite living in Tokyo. She's since told me that she doesn't want to get a booster shot, and now I'm afraid some of her family's attitude about the vaccines is starting to rub off on her.

This whole thing is threatening to destabilize our marriage, and I'm wondering if it's really worth keeping my foot put down if that's what I risk by doing so. I don't really have anyone that can take my side, since I'm the lone foreigner in this situation. Official case numbers continue to be zero every day in the area of Japan where my wife's family is located (though I suspect that official case numbers are a gross underestimation, but that's not really relevant to this thread), and we have brought our daughter out in public here in Tokyo a handful of times... but I'm also kind of worried that this will be letting the genie out of the bottle, and I won't be able to take things back if cases start rising again.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Maybe not a popular opinion, but given the situation as stated on the ground in the rural area, I would lean towards not worrying about the unvaccinated family members for the sake of family stability. It is far more likely that your kid would infect them and they have serious consequences than vice versa.

At the very least it may help you deepen the family bond and may help bridge the vaccine gap in the future.

Edit: my impression is also that Japan has been one of the most successful non-china countries in controlling the pandemic. You've had 18k deaths total since 2020.... That's incredibly low. My own state of west virginia has had more than 25% of that. And our largest city has 60k people.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 16, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah if the cases/deaths are near zero, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. I think your view is biased by the fact that in the US, the pandemic is basically out of control and there's good reason to be cautious.

My state of 10.5 million people, for example, has 19k deaths total throughout the pandemic, which as mentioned is more than the entirety of Japan. My county of about 1 million people is currently averaging over 300 new cases a day and climbing

It's one thing to be concerned about vaccine status when the virus is running rampant like in the US. But in places where it's a non-issue, it's probably not worth worrying about that much. Particularly if there's 0 reported cases for weeks on end.

I won't say I agree with the core logic of not getting vaccinated, but ultimately the risk is negligible in your situation.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I guess if cases start rising again, you could always point to that as a reason for reapplying the foot-down?

It's all incredibly frustrating though. Even more so when it's not your side of the family. A branch of my wifes family that we don't see often has fallen down the Joe Rogan hole so I can see some conflict coming up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

After learning that we were planning on not bringing our daughter to meet unvaccinated people, the the pushback from my wife's family has been pretty severe;
Suppose for a moment that your unvaccinated daughter--living in Tokyo where COVID is more prevalent--acquired an asymptomatic case before going to meet your extended family, exposed them, and made them ill. God forbid, what if one or more of the elderly members of your family were to die as a result? How would you view that situation? Your daughter? Your extended family?

If everyone is comfortable with that situation, then sure whatever. If that situation is problematic though, well, probabilistically that's the most likely thing to occur (if anything at all).

Personally I'd feel very lovely about it. I also assume there's some risk that they may view the situation as "the foreigner" brought the disease which makes it permanently your fault.

A similar thing happened with my wife's extended family. Not the blame per-se, but we have relatives that are now deceased who believed they didn't need to be vaccinated because their living situation wasn't risky, until it was.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 16, 2021

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
IMO it’s a reasonable situation to let up on your standards and just go see them. They’re being unreasonable, and because of that there is risk of irreparable harm in the family dynamics that you have to weigh. It doesn’t sound like your daughter is at an appreciable risk. There’s still the ever-present ethical requirement to not spread the disease in a pandemic but, like you said, rates are very low or zero, and you have some control by getting yourself, your wife, and your child tested, if that makes you feel better about the scenario from above.

I would be completely open with your wife about how it’s a calculated risk, though, and you want to continue to be vigilant and hope she gets boosted.

Edit: I also am in a similar situation where I have some joe roganized family and they’re throwing tantrums about the upcoming holiday. gently caress that guy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not wanting to get a deadly disease is perfectly reasonable, you can say something like "in our urban culture in Tokyo we are very careful, we want to respect your culture and our culture"

I'm guessing you're flying to another island and staying at your in laws house? You could always get an Airbnb and hang out with them outside or something, and just eat meals inside with them. Wanting to be safe 2 years into a global pandemic isn't pants on head crazy and while they might not agree with your position they certainly understand it, especially as new parents

Also, omicron is about to displace delta, sounds like you're staying with them for Christmas holiday stuff, but if you could push out your trip by like two months, if you got covid, at least you'd get the dominant strain and would afford you immunity to most future strains. Right now is about the worst time to get delta as there doesn't appear to be a significant amount of immunity overlap with omicron, so if you're gonna get sick/immunity you probably want omicron

That said if cases truly are low, you might consider going and just asking family to be extra forthcoming about any illness and just go see them. I have a couple family members who are anti vax based on :911: reasoning and honestly they already all got covid due to lack of vaccination (have it to my grandparents and put them in the hospital too) so they're effectively vaccinated now anyways. It's a really tough decision trying to both protect your family and not sever extended family ties, and whatever you decide I support that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had to travel to another state to do house hunting for a relocation thing, my mother in law came with to babysit

We needed to eat and we finally broke our covid no eating indoors rule to appease my mother in law. My daughter is 1 and this was her first time inside a restaurant beyond talking to the host about outdoor seating options

They put us in the corner away from other families and it wasn't terrible and we didn't get sick, but not something I want to repeat on the regular as we've been very careful and haven't gotten sick. It was a pretty nice restaurant so we kind of felt slightly safer as most people going there seemed like they would stay home if they weren't feeling good. That's probably wishful thinking on my part (a group of 15 or so gal pals were seated shortly after we sat down) but helped make it seem safe so we could relax and eat

Anyways TL;DR had to make a similar decision, chose the unsafe one, but adjusted the parameters to make it at least partly safe

I'm not a doctor but I think from what I've read, the amount of viral load you get, on average, seems to impact how sick you get. If someone is coughing and sneezing and singing holiday songs in one room with you for hours and hours, you're supposedly gonna get way more sick due to higher initial viral load, vs if they are having a chill conversation in the living room with the window cracked (fireplaces generate a natural draft in the house too) and they aren't coughing and sneezing, the lower viral load they give you allows your body more time to ramp up the immune system and chances of getting super sick. So in theory if you only hang out with healthy looking family you might be slightly better off than sitting down to dinner with grandpa who is coughing up a lung across the table from you. Of course I'm totally not a doctor and all of that is probably wrong but that's my very uneducated opinion.

Ok that's my $1.20 worth on family covid stuff, good luck

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Well baby has bilateral ear infections and I have an ear infection on one side plus a sinus infection and bronchitis, on top of our adenovirus, rhinovirus, and parainfluenza, and toddler’s ear infection which is being treated.

Thinking I should open a business to take care of sick kids 24/7 so the parents can get a break. I’m so exhausted. I would pay so much money to have someone else look after my kids for one night. I haven’t slept in four days. They were both in my bed, coughing so hard they threw up, for the last three nights. There’s nothing more I can do, we are all on antibiotics and nebulizers and doing all the TLC known to the world.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Someone needs to march your bullshit ex over and make him do literally one sick kid shift. Just the one. Lets not get carried away and hope for more. But just the one so you can rest and get some sleep.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

sheri posted:

If he was fine rear facing then I'd turn him back.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Keep you kids rear facing until age three or "as long as possible", whichever occurs later.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Rear facing is far safer anyway. We kept our kids that way until they were physically too big for it to work anymore.

The issue with this advice, which I discovered when I was looking at the instructions on how to reverse the drat thing, is that the manufacturer says "if they're over 2 and exceed either the height or weight listed put them front facing". Womp womp.

Turns out that he has an inner ear infection as well which probably wasn't a help. We're prepped for it this time at least with the kiddy travel sickness stuff. And fancy barf bags!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Do they exceed either the weight or the height?

We kept my kiddo rear facing until almost 4 before he hit the height limit.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

Someone needs to march your bullshit ex over and make him do literally one sick kid shift. Just the one. Lets not get carried away and hope for more. But just the one so you can rest and get some sleep.

A thousand times this.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

sheri posted:

Do they exceed either the weight or the height?

We kept my kiddo rear facing until almost 4 before he hit the height limit.

Height.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone. I talked to my wife again, and we came to an agreement where we'll meet her unvaccinated family members with some conditions that we'll decide on before we leave. I'm still bitter that I had to give ground, but I guess it's better than completely alienating myself from my otherwise pleasant in-laws. Like multiple people have pointed out, with official case numbers being so low (even if there are probably a not insignificant number of cases going undetected), this is about as good of a situation I can hope for having to make a compromise in.

We talked about how she does agree with me that the idea of not meeting unvaccinated people isn't a bad one in theory, so we're a lot closer to being on the same page than I might have made it seem in my previous post. Her main problem was how many people turned out to be unvaccinated, and how close some of them (her brother, etc.) were to her.

External Organs posted:

At the very least it may help you deepen the family bond and may help bridge the vaccine gap in the future.

Yeah, that's one way I'm trying to look at things. Most of the people in her family who haven't gotten vaccinated have only done so because they don't feel the need, so there's a chance I can maybe convince them to get it.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Suppose for a moment that your unvaccinated daughter--living in Tokyo where COVID is more prevalent--acquired an asymptomatic case before going to meet your extended family, exposed them, and made them ill. God forbid, what if one or more of the elderly members of your family were to die as a result? How would you view that situation? Your daughter? Your extended family?

If everyone is comfortable with that situation, then sure whatever. If that situation is problematic though, well, probabilistically that's the most likely thing to occur (if anything at all).

Personally I'd feel very lovely about it. I also assume there's some risk that they may view the situation as "the foreigner" brought the disease which makes it permanently your fault.

A similar thing happened with my wife's extended family. Not the blame per-se, but we have relatives that are now deceased who believed they didn't need to be vaccinated because their living situation wasn't risky, until it was.

The majority of the elderly people in her family are vaccinated, and we'll both be getting tested (for free) twice before traveling, once a week before and once two days before we leave. I'm hoping that's enough to help prevent sending anyone to the hospital, but in the end if they're not vaccinated and they get it, then that's on them. I'd probably feel awful about it if it were to happen, but my wife hasn't seen her family in over two years and I think she needs the trip enough that it outweighs the risks, both for her family and our daughter.

Hadlock posted:

Anyways TL;DR had to make a similar decision, chose the unsafe one, but adjusted the parameters to make it at least partly safe

Like I said above, this is probably what we'll be doing. Set boundaries to make things as safe as they can be given the circumstances, and make sure that if people cross the line then we won't hesitate to just leave.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

Someone needs to march your bullshit ex over and make him do literally one sick kid shift.
He probably has the sniffles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Spoggerific posted:

I'm not really sure whether to post this in E/N, the Japan thread in T&T, or here, but I guess I'll post it here since it's mainly about parenting in my mind.

I'm an American living in Japan, married to a Japanese woman. We have a 5 month old daughter, and we're going back to my wife's hometown in rural Japan for the holidays. Long before we ever finalized plans to visit her family at the end of this year, I set a rule with my wife: I wouldn't let my daughter meet or play with anyone who isn't vaccinated against covid. I told her I didn't plan on budging with this rule, no matter who it was. She agreed with me. At the time, positive cases were rapidly increasing in Japan, and especially Tokyo, where we live, and my wife was very worried about our daughter potentially getting infected.

Fast forward to about a week before we leave to visit her family, and I've since learned that a significant portion - perhaps even half or more - of her family is not vaccinated, and has no plans to get vaccinated, including her brother. The reasons her family has for not getting vaccinated are varied, but they mostly boil down to thinking that covid isn't a problem in rural Japan and being scared of side effects. Covid cases in the part of Japan where my wife's family is located have always been significantly lower than Tokyo, and they have had 0 new reported cases for weeks on end. There are, however, a few dedicated anti-vaccine people who tiptoe dangerously close to conspiracy theory territory.

After learning that we were planning on not bringing our daughter to meet unvaccinated people, the the pushback from my wife's family has been pretty severe; several people are now very upset with my wife - and especially me, once they found out I was the one that brought the idea up. Someone who was planning on lending us their car for a month has rescinded the offer, my wife has now turned around and thinks there's no reason to keep our daughter away from unvaccinated people, and I'm getting put in a pretty precarious position. I'm the only non-Japanese person in my wife's entire extended family, and this being rural Japan, some family members were... disapproving, although not outright opposed, to us getting married. I've managed to build up a decent amount of respect from them, since I speak Japanese fluently and do my best to act as politely as I can. I don't want to lose that respect if I can avoid it, especially since we're entertaining the thought of eventually moving back to her hometown so our daughter can be around family.

My wife was also very wary about vaccines in the first place, to the point where I had to strongly urge her to get vaccinated despite living in Tokyo. She's since told me that she doesn't want to get a booster shot, and now I'm afraid some of her family's attitude about the vaccines is starting to rub off on her.

This whole thing is threatening to destabilize our marriage, and I'm wondering if it's really worth keeping my foot put down if that's what I risk by doing so. I don't really have anyone that can take my side, since I'm the lone foreigner in this situation. Official case numbers continue to be zero every day in the area of Japan where my wife's family is located (though I suspect that official case numbers are a gross underestimation, but that's not really relevant to this thread), and we have brought our daughter out in public here in Tokyo a handful of times... but I'm also kind of worried that this will be letting the genie out of the bottle, and I won't be able to take things back if cases start rising again.

I'm very sorry for you, I don't know what I would do in that situation, it would destroy my respect for my SO if she had opinions like that. But we're both triple vaxxed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm very sorry for you, I don't know what I would do in that situation, it would destroy my respect for my SO if she had opinions like that. But we're both triple vaxxed now.

My first post may have made my wife seem more anti-vaxx than she really is. She's not convinced that it's 100% safe and effective, or that it should be everyone's duty to get the shot, but she'll listen to people when they sit down and explain things to her. She got her first two shots after I talked to her about it, and I'm sure I can convince her to get her third. Unfortunately, she also listens to misinformation and anecdotes just as easily; when news about omicron was first coming out, she saw a news headline that said something along the lines of "antibodies may be up to 40x less effective against omicron", and decided that the vaccine was pointless versus it. When I explained to her that the third shot significantly boosts protection, and that there's more to immunity than just antibodies, and how it was kind of irresponsible for a news article to not properly mentioned it, she calmed down a lot. It's frustrating, but it doesn't mean I regret marrying her or having children or anything.

Regardless of how my wife or her family feels about the covid vaccine, we've been getting our daughter all of her regular childhood vaccines right on schedule, and my wife has never doubted their necessity.

We've got an appointment to give our daughter her BCG vaccine tomorrow, and from the way the needle and pictures of the scarring afterwards look, I'm not exactly looking forward to putting my daughter through that either. It's not standard in the US, so I never got it. People much smarter than me have decided that all babies in Japan should get it, though, so I'll listen to them.

Here's a picture of the crazy 9 point needle that Japan uses to give people the BCG vaccine. Spoilered in case anyone has a fear of needles or something.

It leaves a scar that fades relatively quickly, but stays visible probably for the rest of one's life. My wife still has hers.