Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

His name was always given as Astos but he wasn’t exactly a character. It’s not that people are surprised at the name it’s that they’re surprised they’re making a whole character out of what amounts to.. I want to say two? dialogue boxes.

Things we know about Astos: he pretended to be a dying king to trick you, and he curses you. Full stop, lol

It's not like anyone else in FF1 had more than two dialogue boxes besides, like, Garland, and even then he has like six or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jokes posted:

His name was always given as Astos but he wasn’t exactly a character. It’s not that people are surprised at the name it’s that they’re surprised they’re making a whole character out of what amounts to.. I want to say two? dialogue boxes.

Things we know about Astos: he pretended to be a dying king to trick you, and he curses you. Full stop, lol

It seems like the perfect place to expand the story then

I for one cant wait to have a 40 minute cutscene from the circle of wizards

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I guess im more surprised other people didnt realize how many random one off characters there are to add elaborate backstories and motivations for, other then killing chaos thats what im here for from the start

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want them to faithfully recreate the Circle of Sages at Crescent Lake. Same character model for each one, just chilling in a massive circle. No one questions why they all have the same name and voice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Circle of Sages at Crescent Lake: Sages arranged in a Circle at the Lake that look like a Crescent.

I do love that they’re just fleshing out whatever in the hell, and seem to be “in” on the joke. Hopefully it’s all like, pretty expansive too. Not because I’m excited to learn more but because I want to see Jack respond to long-winded exposition by revealing he had his AirPods Pro in the whole time.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
The more they tell me about Chaos Killing Simulator 2022 the more I want to play it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't believe the plot-less, D&D knockoff from 1987 is the bible for this AAA game. That's like making a three-hour war movie based on a game of noughts and crosses.

cept ff1 does have a plot, so

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF1’s plot was actually hilariously convoluted for a 1987 NES RPG.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jokes posted:

Circle of Sages at Crescent Lake: Sages arranged in a Circle at the Lake that look like a Crescent.

I do love that they’re just fleshing out whatever in the hell, and seem to be “in” on the joke. Hopefully it’s all like, pretty expansive too. Not because I’m excited to learn more but because I want to see Jack respond to long-winded exposition by revealing he had his AirPods Pro in the whole time.

Hell yeah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HD DAD posted:

FF1’s plot was actually hilariously convoluted for a 1987 NES RPG.

Its contemporary with dragonquest 3, right? Isnt that one kinda wonky too?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its contemporary with dragonquest 3, right? Isnt that one kinda wonky too?

It’s probably the first RPG to have the twist that the bad guy you went on a full length adventure to kill was just a henchman, and you go to the world of the first two Dragon Quests to kill the actual bad guy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF1 was a pretty good first attempt at putting DND into a video game. Your characters? Pick the classes, their backstory is all yours. Choose their names too, gently caress it. Why do they have these special crystals? Shut up and go with it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

FF1 was a pretty good first attempt at putting DND into a video game. Your characters? Pick the classes, their backstory is all yours. Choose their names too, gently caress it. Why do they have these special crystals? Shut up and go with it.

Yea gimme another hit of that, square, you cowards

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

poo poo, they killed the main antagonist like, 20 minutes into the campaign. Gonna have to come up with some insane time travel plot to make this work now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

2 is the equivalent of the DM having a proper session zero to make the characters a part of the world but he picked some hosed up off-brand system that requires you to roll on five different charts in order to see if you trip over your own shoelaces whenever you walk. He keeps getting a fourth player to join but when they see what a mess the system is they quickly leave and the DM kills their characters off in increasingly brutal ways out of frustration. Also he introduces his snake girl fetish out of nowhere half way through the campaign and is disappointed when the PCs don't play along

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

poo poo, they killed the main antagonist like, 20 minutes into the campaign. Gonna have to come up with some insane time travel plot to make this work now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

4 is a fairly competently run campaign but the party lead is a lawful stupid paladin who will still lend way too much trust to the main antagonist, a guy who's stabbed him in the back multiple times, and an annoying sex pest who watches too much anime. The two girls who decided to show up and create insanely broken multiclass builds get condescended to and flirted with endlessly.

5 is a table full of power gamers and the DM just cribs plot points from whatever Hanna Barbara cartoons he was watching while he was baked that morning. It's the best campaign anyone in the group has played in but no one will admit it

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Mystic Quest is the campaign you had to run for your younger sibling, but they get bored easily so you had to keep introducing new NPCs to keep them on track.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pretty soft girl posted:

4 is a fairly competently run campaign but the party lead is a lawful stupid paladin who will still lend way too much trust to the main antagonist, a guy who's stabbed him in the back multiple times, and an annoying sex pest who watches too much anime. The two girls who decided to show up and create insanely broken multiclass builds get condescended to and flirted with endlessly.

5 is a table full of power gamers and the DM just cribs plot points from whatever Hanna Barbara cartoons he was watching while he was baked that morning. It's the best campaign anyone in the group has played in but no one will admit it

4 is definitely the most realistic DND campaign.

The lawful good paladin had an edgy backstory and never missed a session, even doing a few solo sessions.

Fairly standard tragic magical girl archetype who left early on only to come back to the sessions later as an adult and way more sexualized.

Paladin brought his girlfriend at one point and insisted she always come, but she wasn’t too involved in the plot and was okay just shooting arrows and healing.

Edgelord who comes in and out betraying the group here and there then insisting on joining for the finale to slay the final boss and beat the final dungeon. When confronted about how he used to claim being mind controlled by the BBEG to betray the party whenever he wanted, he said “oh yeah now I got that all handled don’t worry guys”.

Randos who come in and out played by a pretty cool player who knows a lot about how to play, but it didn’t help for what level they’re at— picked wizard to start because they know they’re the strongest but didn’t account for the low level when picking their class so it didn’t really help. They really commit to the characters and RP really well but ultimately gets bored of them fairly quickly and tries to kill them in exciting, heroic ways.

Someone’s little brother who heard about the game really late in the game and forced his way into the group, only to be fairly cringey and die a lot. Literally named edge. Throws all the group’s valuable equipment at enemies for bonus damage, is also a prince and can wield two weapons and and and is a NINJA and and he hits on the girls and his nemesis uhhh killed everyone in his castle and and uhhhh

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 15, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

Randos who come in and out played by a pretty cool player who knows a lot about how to play, but it didn’t help for what level they’re at— picked wizard to start because they know they’re the strongest but didn’t account for the low level when picking their class so it didn’t really help. They really commit to the characters and RP really well but ultimately gets bored of them fairly quickly and tries to kill them in exciting, heroic ways.

Despite playing a variety of memorable and fun characters, catches poo poo for the rest of time from the other players for playing an ineffectual bard and roleplaying him as someone appropriately grieving for his lost family, lover, and kingdom instead of wanting to immediately run to the next quest

Had an insanely busted late game build in mind for the bard but got fed up with having plastic spoons thrown at him and bailed on it early to bring back the wizard character

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 15, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I did finally think of a seventh job for my FF7 classes, everyone's favorite: Berserker. Gonna have to do it a weird way though. You don't get Mystify until a ways into the game and Berserk is only obtainable at level 2. War Gongs aren't available for most of the game and they would affect all party members anyway, so Berserker will just have to be "Attack command only" for most of the game, until they get a leveled Mystify, and then it can turn into "Cast Berserk on self on first available turn" since Berserk has a 100% hit rate on allies. They'll only be able to use Mystify (and only to Berserk themselves right away) but might as well let them have the standard HP Plus, and Counter Attack because why not. And Long Range too, because FFV did have a long range axe.

Xad posted:

iirc the game does have holy element but the only way to deal it is by summoning Alexander or attaching it to a weapon with Element. Nothing else in the entire game does holy damage, since, y'know

Correct. Which is why it's funny that there's armor that halves Holy damage because the only way for a member of your party to be hit with a holy element attack is to get attacked by a confused ally with Alexander + Element on their weapon.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't believe the plot-less, D&D knockoff from 1987 is the bible for this AAA game. That's like making a three-hour war movie based on a game of noughts and crosses.

They made a two hour war movie based on the board game Battleship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pretty soft girl posted:

2 is the equivalent of the DM having a proper session zero to make the characters a part of the world but he picked some hosed up off-brand system that requires you to roll on five different charts in order to see if you trip over your own shoelaces whenever you walk. He keeps getting a fourth player to join but when they see what a mess the system is they quickly leave and the DM kills their characters off in increasingly brutal ways out of frustration. Also he introduces his snake girl fetish out of nowhere half way through the campaign and is disappointed when the PCs don't play along

One of the characters was made early on and was even tied in to the other characters backstories, but poo poo kept happening and he was not able to join up until late into the campaign. The DM had even given up on him actually playing and so had turned the abandoned character into the main villain. But then suddenly heard he was coming back and still wanted to play his character. So the DM quickly brought back the old main villain they already killed to get them on the same side.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of the characters was made early on and was even tied in to the other characters backstories, but poo poo kept happening and he was not able to join up until late into the campaign. The DM had even given up on him actually playing and so had turned the abandoned character into the main villain. But then suddenly heard he was coming back and still wanted to play his character. So the DM quickly brought back the old main villain they already killed to get them on the same side.

*45 minutes of frantic rifling through a 300 page dm guide, a 400 page phb, a 150 page splatbook, and 20 pages of printed errata later*

"OK FINE I guess you guys are right, that combination of spells DOES immediately turn any enemy you want into a frog. But come on this is like when you started socking each other in the face to get your HP up for an entire session, it's not in the spirit of the game. Treat me with some respect and I'll treat your characters with respect, ok?"

*sends party into the sixth monster trap room that night*

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

"After Minh Wu's tragic sacrifice, you have finally acquired the power of Ultima and are prepared to face the unholy emperor for a final showdown"

"Badass, where's the stat block for it?"

"Page 293, right after 'dual wielding' but before 'badger speak'"

*5 minutes of scribbling calculations and looking through a 13 page character sheet later* "according to this I'd do more damage hitting enemies with my staff"

"Um... it's an ancient spell and just because something is old doesn't mean it's good. Moving on..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barudak posted:

I really want to like Jack's Back: Final Fantasy: Revengeance but the game has an atrocious amount of loot and I can't imagine playing through it

I played hours of the two demos and literally ignored dealing with gear except to just hit auto-equip on everyone unless I liked the look of the item, like the fuckin fedora they give you for completing the second demo's challenge boss lol

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1471298461714763777?s=20

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Giving me strong strategy guide vibes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played hours of the two demos and literally ignored dealing with gear except to just hit auto-equip on everyone unless I liked the look of the item, like the fuckin fedora they give you for completing the second demo's challenge boss lol

Even that just saps my will. Im not good with loot piles

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I hope they make Matoya a total babe.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

matoya with cat ear headphones

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As a heads-up from the MMO side of things, all FF14 sales (physical and digital), free trials and ads are being temporarily suspended because there's just too many people playing the dang game. Two weeks of free game time to active subscriptions.

Endwalker's also the highest-rated game of 2021 on opencritic by the sound of it. They finally did it, they made Final Fantasy too good, and now they must pay the price.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Isnt FFVIIr supposed to be out on PC today

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schwartzcough posted:

I hope they make Matoya a total babe.
The XIV Dumptruck Matoya mod has that covered already

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isnt FFVIIr supposed to be out on PC today

its out and I just dropped 70 bones in a store I'll never use again! hope it lives up to the hype

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MMF Freeway posted:

its out and I just dropped 70 bones in a store I'll never use again! hope it lives up to the hype

But yeah I'll probably do the same, I've bought a couple of games through Epic now. Any early reactions on the quality of the port or is it too early to say?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Apparently the settings are barebones but it runs extremely well, like 4k120 on ultra with a 2080ti with room to spare

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cool, I only need to do 4k60 on a 3070

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paperhouse posted:

Her non-death means Holy is never successfully cast and the lifestream isn't enough to stop the destruction of the planet :v:

Whenever they finish the remakes in 2085 I fully expect that to be the ending. "You made things 'better' but everything you fought against had to happen to prevent a bigger tragedy so now you need to stop yourselves and restore the timeline."

pretty soft girl posted:

Garland wasn't even the main antagonist in FF1, he was just a roadblock to the Light Warriors continuing on their actual quest of restoring light to the four orbs. When the four light warriors encounter him in the past their reaction is probably "oh right you're that guy we killed immediately after starting our quest. So you're actually some time-traveling super demon now? Yeah sure ok whatever we'll just kill you again."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Garland doesn’t say poo poo in FF1 other than that he’ll knock you down, you’re impertinent, and that this is his princess.

Maybe we’re the bad guys. That other poo poo is all chaos, and importantly we are here to kill chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whenever they finish the remakes in 2085 I fully expect that to be the ending. "You made things 'better' but everything you fought against had to happen to prevent a bigger tragedy so now you need to stop yourselves and restore the timeline."

I feel like they're gonna have a reveal that Zack living hosed up the timeline not you killing the capital D and your gonna have to fight/kill him to fix it