Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My vow to wager it all on physics regardless of the scenario would have really put me at risk there. That was the most atrociously written final. I got it at the very last second but gently caress, that was so poorly worded.

I got it quickly, but dismissed it thinking they can't seriously be looking for the drat names of the quarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I think Sam looks like a cross between Steve Martin and Mandy Patinkin

God, thank you, I saw Steve Martin but couldn’t decide who else he was reminding me of and it was absolutely Mandy P.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Blossom is such a stupid loving host for many reasons.

Last night she said "Inside a Convex Mirror" instead of the actual name of "Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror." She doubled down on it, too, and acted smarmy while also being wrong. J! is not the place to do that if you don't know what you're talking about.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Smarmy" is a great word for Mayim's hosting style. I don't know if she realizes she comes across that way, but there's a smugness to her that's especially galling when you consider the fact that Ken has a reason to be smug and isn't.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Occasionally I check public comments on news articles or facebook to get an idea of the public sentiment, and most people talk about Ken like he's the smug know-it-all and Mayim is pleasant. :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Sean posted:

Last night she said "Inside a Convex Mirror" instead of the actual name of "Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror." She doubled down on it, too, and acted smarmy while also being wrong. J! is not the place to do that if you don't know what you're talking about.

I thought that was a weird name for a painting. Presumably she has the answers in front of her, right? Why go off on your own like that unless you're 100% sure?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thinking that Mayim is pleasant I can kind of understand. Thinking that Ken is a smug know it all I can't. I wonder how much that's just dumb Americans confusing being knowledgeable and competent with "smarty pants".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thinking that Mayim is pleasant I can kind of understand. Thinking that Ken is a smug know it all I can't. I wonder how much that's just dumb Americans confusing being knowledgeable and competent with "smarty pants".

I'm sure that's it. "He sure is smart. That smug rear end in a top hat."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

thrawn527 posted:

I thought that was a weird name for a painting. Presumably she has the answers in front of her, right? Why go off on your own like that unless you're 100% sure?

She also referenced the poetry collection and it's also not the way she articulated it. She does have the answers in front of her but a large proportion of the time it looks like she's more interested in saying "no, wrong" and then takes a few seconds to look down at her notes to verify.

Here is the relevant painting wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-portrait_in_a_Convex_Mirror.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked that Daily Double last night where the contestant started giving an answer, Mayim interrupted with, "Sorry, that's time." and then the out-of-time beep sounded. Made me wonder if they used to give Alex a little wiggle room when calling time on DD's.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Sean posted:

The problem with this one was the clue, imo:

quote:

Parmigianino painted a self-portrait in this curved item, also the title of John Ashbery's poem about the painting

The answer is simply "convex mirror", but Parmigianino didn't actually paint a self portrait in a convex mirror like the clue says - that's just the title of the piece. He painted it in a curved canvas. Mayim read the answer from the card assuming the actual canvas was a convex mirror, which is what the clue implies. The "Inside a" was just some flowery language.

I don't remember how she doubled down but that's a pretty forgivable mistake to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wa27 posted:

The answer is simply "convex mirror", but Parmigianino didn't actually paint a self portrait in a convex mirror like the clue says - that's just the title of the piece. He painted it in a curved canvas. Mayim read the answer from the card assuming the actual canvas was a convex mirror, which is what the clue implies. The "Inside a" was just some flowery language.

I don't remember how she doubled down but that's a pretty forgivable mistake to me.

Oh, that makes more sense. I definitely got lost in it, not being familiar with the painting itself.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

Opinions aside, "inside a convex mirror" is still not accurate. Here is the clue:

quote:

Parmigianino painted a self-portrait in this curved item, also the title of John Ashbery's poem about the painting.
Source: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7214

wa27 posted:

They did paint a portrait of themselves in a convex mirror. "Inside" is not a literal or accurate term because it is a painting; people cannot paint while inside of a reflective glass. That is impossible. Again, the poems referred to are also not "Inside a Convex Mirror" so it is doubly inaccurate. A person can see themselves "in a mirror" but not "inside of" a mirror. J! is a space of specificity, flowery language that is not verbatim to the content is not an answer to the prompt.

I do think Mayim is a garbage person but on top of that I feel like the clue writing when she's on is terrible. I'm not sure if that's causation or correlation, but it's there. The recent "texting terms" category was full of nothing that anyone has texted ever.

I want to be clear, none of my responses to you are intended to be inflammatory and I respect where you are coming from with regards to what you wrote.

christmas boots posted:

laughing my socks off

hahaha, exactly. A completely impotent replacement for lmao.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 15, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
laughing my socks off

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Really appreciating that during this tournament there is a science category every single game instead of maybe once a week.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
To be completely fair, it's not all Bialik. The clue writing has really been going to poo poo for a while now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zesty posted:

To be completely fair, it's not all Bialik. The clue writing has really been going to poo poo for a while now.

"Completely fair" would include that Bialik sucks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
She could be the best host to ever grace a game show stage, but she's still a garbage human being that a supposedly pro-science, pro-intellectual show should not be giving a platform.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

This may be a minor thing but it really annoyed me yesterday when she didn't remind a contestant with $800 that he could wager up to $1,000 on the Daily Double.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alisa's button click. :3:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sean posted:

Bialik sucks.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Bialiksucks & Bloom, please hold.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
There is nothing I want less in Jeopardy than a running commentary on what clothes items a host thinks does or does not look good on them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zesty posted:

Alisa's button click. :3:

This really was the best.

But part of me was expecting Bialik to cut in with, "I'm sorry, that's time."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dienes posted:

There is nothing I want less in Jeopardy than a running commentary on what clothes items a host thinks does or does not look good on them.

I think this is because she did it twice, specifically. The "looks terrible" was funny and the second time set up a Rule of Three that never came. Maybe it would have landed differently had the contestants gone through the category in order?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CPColin posted:

I think this is because she did it twice, specifically. The "looks terrible" was funny and the second time set up a Rule of Three that never came. Maybe it would have landed differently had the contestants gone through the category in order?

Agreed, to a point. The first time I thought it was funny. The second time I was like, "Eh...okay." I can't tell you why, because I don't think it's a rule of three thing. If she had done it again, I don't think I would have gone, "Ha, there it is."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 17, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Two or three, I think "looks terrible" was supposed to be the punchline, for sure. Maybe a more experienced host would have expected the contestants to flio the order and made sure to say "looks good" no matter what or just abandon the joke when the setup didn't materialize, I dunno. Maybe Mayim was playing it totally straight, too!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

BaronVonVaderham posted:

She could be the best host to ever grace a game show stage, but she's still a garbage human being that a supposedly pro-science, pro-intellectual show should not be giving a platform.

luckily she's nowhere close so no need to even consider it

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
How I Got Smart, by Amy Schneider

I figure this thread kind of lies at the intersection of 'people who watch Jeopardy' and 'people who are likely to read Defector'. Sicko lawyers, mostly.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

christmas boots posted:

I think Sam looks like a cross between Steve Martin and Mandy Patinkin

I was thinking a cross between Steve Martin and Sydney Pollack, but I can see the Patinkin-ness now that you mention it...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Albino Squirrel posted:

How I Got Smart, by Amy Schneider

I figure this thread kind of lies at the intersection of 'people who watch Jeopardy' and 'people who are likely to read Defector'. Sicko lawyers, mostly.

Her bit about having time to learn dead languages "is a pretty surefire sign that you aren’t plowing your fields from dawn to dusk in the desperate hope of having enough to eat" reminded me of my all time favorite quote from Stephen Jay Gould:

""I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 18, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well Youtube TV just lost ABC so that's $65 a month I'll be saving.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What. Yeah I guess me too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dick Jones posted:

I was thinking a cross between Steve Martin and Sydney Pollack, but I can see the Patinkin-ness now that you mention it...

If it helps it’s specifically the clean-shaven Criminal Minds era Patinkin that came to my mind

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
ABC is back on YouTube TV.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
A sports writer from Minnesota has never gone to a HOCKEY game?! Even if he's the Twins beat writer, that sounds ludicrous to me

Not sure the Clippers were a sale of any century given the reason why they were sold.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yay Ken!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Island Nation posted:

A sports writer from Minnesota has never gone to a HOCKEY game?! Even if he's the Twins beat writer, that sounds ludicrous to me

Not sure the Clippers were a sale of any century given the reason why they were sold.

Ken playfully reminding Do about hockey after other clues was fun.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ken is a breath of fresh air.

Also, congrats to Amy for another win! I was worried that the two weeks off might mess with her game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kinda rude to ask her about her tattoo when they made her cover it up it up for a previous episode.