Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

feedmegin posted:

'More or less' is doing a lot of lifting there, it isn't, but this particular Tracy is a dude yes.

It's another one of those weird things where we see it as an Americanism, but it's actually older than the existence of the US and is in fact another example of them having stuck to the original tradition more than we did.

quote:

as a boys' name (also used as girls' name Tracy) is pronounced TRAY-see. It is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Tracy is "warlike". Surname dating from before the Norman conquest.

As a semiprime, 57 is a Blum integer since its two prime factors are both Gaussian primes

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:ughh: at the loving state of this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/15/tory-mp-daniel-kawczynski-fixer-job-with-saudi-contacts-school-fees

quote:

A Conservative MP pleaded with a fixer to help him secure a well-paid second job with a Saudi company or other work relating to the Middle East, at one point saying he needed money to pay school fees.

Daniel Kawczynski’s repeated pleas for lucrative employment – revealed in a series of WhatsApp messages seen by the Guardian – show him citing his pro-Saudi stance in parliament as part of an attempt to get paid work from a businessman.

The Tory MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham asked a fixer to find him work with a Saudi employer, describing himself as the most “pro-Saudi” member of parliament and boasting that the Saudi leader, Mohammed bin Salman, “has stated that Saudi has no better friend in UK than me”.

In one message, Kawczynski said: “I am looking for a position with a company as non exec director or adviser/consultant. Obviously my passion for Anglo Arab relations [is] something which could help a company with relations in the UK or Middle East. Not sure what remuneration I am looking for but you are such a good negotiator!!! Best wishes Daniel.”

In another, the Tory MP asked the fixer for paid work on a conference related to Saudi Arabia’s regional foe, Qatar: “Promise you will push for good remuneration too for me … I need it to pay school fees!”

Kawczynski arranged to host one potential Saudi employer in parliament, offering him a tour of the House of Commons and a dinner in the MPs’ private dining room. He also arranged to meet the fixer in his parliamentary office to discuss a project.

While no new employment appears to have materialised from the conversations, both incidents raise questions over whether Kawczynski breached rules that bar MPs from using the House of Commons for private work. A spokesperson for Kawczynski said he had “broken no rules with regards to second jobs, and most importantly he prioritises his work as MP for the constituency of Shrewsbury and Atcham”.

Elsewhere in the messages, which were sent between September 2017 and June 2018, Kawczynski said he was disillusioned with politics in Westminster and would like one day to be UK ambassador to Riyadh rather than a backbench MP.

edit: lol

quote:

In one exchange, which took place late at night, the fixer raised the prospect of arranging paid work for Kawczynski with the Saudi businessman Yasser bin Homran: “He has money and is from a very prominent family in Saudi. He wants to engage in politics.” Kawczynski replied within minutes: “He wants to engage in British politics?? What time are you free in morning to discuss please?”

quote:

Later, when the possibility of a paid consultancy appeared to be receding, the Tory MP asked the fixer to emphasise how committed he had been to promoting the interests of the Saudis in parliament. “Do they understand how genuinely pro Saudi I am??? No one in Commons has promoted Saudi more during last 12 years as genuinely pro Saudi.”

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 15, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
surname sounds suspiciously non-English for a Tory

quote:

A spokesperson for Kawczynski said he had “broken no rules with regards to second jobs, and

lol, gotta work with what you got i guess

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Convex posted:

:ughh: at the loving state of this

edit: lol

Holy poo poo, that is so pathetic lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
most importantly he prioritises his work as MP for the constituency of Shrewsbury and Dammam

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Harry Potter books were originally aimed at 12-year-old boys, who are not known as the most enlightened demographic. Hardly a surprise that they might turn their nose up at a book written by a smelly girl.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
n-n-notice me... Senpai bin Saud

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Rename me genuinely pro saudi

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Someone needs to let Tory MPs know that school is free

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

feedmegin posted:

'More or less' is doing a lot of lifting there, it isn't, but this particular Tracy is a dude yes.

Is it? Based on this data, in the last five years (2016-2020) 410 baby girls in the US got names Tracy, while 245 boys got the same name. A 2/3rds-1/3rd split feels like a fairly solid "more or less unisex" to me.

Edit: Reworded, I can see how it'd be misread in it's previous wording.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 15, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reveilled posted:

Is it? Based on this data, in the last five years (2016-2020) 410 baby girls in the US got names Tracy, while 245 boys got the same name. A 2/3rds-1/3rd split doesn't feel like "more or less unisex" is a stretch.

E: nvm I misread your post and I agree

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I tend to prefer SFF stories written by women since in my personal experience they seem to do a much better job of actually writing interesting female characters. I remember reading two novels which seemed to have very similar premises and protagonists (female pilot with dark past is part of a team investigating some ancient alien technology on behalf of mysterious aliens who are humanity's benefactors). The first was Pathfinder by relatively unknown novelist Laura E Reeve, while the other was Stealing Light by moderately notable author Gary Gibson, and goddamn if it wasn't like night and day how clearly better written the woman in the former novel was. She struggles with alcohol and has difficulty forming relationships, but is able to generally put on a mask of detatched competence to cover up her troubles. Not exactly top tier literature, but one definitely got the impression the author was writing from experience and creating a well-rounded believable cahracter.

I think I got maybe ten chapters into the second novel before chucking it because it seemed more like the author's wank material with how often the protagonist was thinking about sex, having sex, or masturbating. The chapter I gave up on was I think a discussion about the capabilities of the ship the character was going to fly that had basically nothing to do with sex whatsoever before it ended with the protagonist grabbing the crotch of the man she was speaking with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Streeting has had a haircut and is moving in a decidedly forensic direction. Would be hilarious if the Labour right decide to copy the tories with a leadership coup as well.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1470892414873309187?t=9YWwcekv2FegFFuax8Pk-A&s=19

I would like to submit 'McShitler' for the consideration of the Midnight Society.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol at the tory dude on the front bench with a mask usefully under his chin

I guess maybe thats where his lizard gills actually are and I'm the fool

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well poo poo https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1471150598116593671

Previous high was 68k in January

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol at the tory dude on the front bench with a mask usefully under his chin

I guess maybe thats where his lizard gills actually are and I'm the fool

We're nearly 2 loving years into this poo poo and so many ppl don't wear masks properly
it's the simplest thing ever,

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1471149598488072203

:siren:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

and we're only in the loving foothills of this thing

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so I was reading up on the Cardiff Three having watched A Killing in Tiger Bay on iPlayer and guess who crops up in the wiki article:

just Keith things, refusing to prosecute a pile of horribly corrupt coppers because "oh they lost* the documents we sent, guess there's nothing we can do"

*the documents were in fact located still in the box they were sent in 6 weeks later

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Statement from PM at 5pm.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Right folks, shut everything right the gently caress down until April (which has been my thinking for a while now), one final shopping trip for xmas on the 23rd and that's me done.

I'm fairly content with solitude so it works for me. :stonklol:

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Barry Foster posted:

and we're only in the loving foothills of this thing

yeah doubling every 2 days we are going to hit some epic figures soon.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Just Another Lurker posted:

one final shopping trip for xmas on the 23rd and that's me done.

Amazon have very kindly done all my Xmas shopping trips for me, not because I am avoiding people or anything like that - just lazy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welp gently caress.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Otoh going purely by cases is pretty simplistic. Deaths/hospitalisations are still a fraction of what they were last winter, and that's the important figure. If they start spiking again then sure, it's time to worry. But so far, they aren't increasing proportionally with new cases, probably due to vaccine protection (and perhaps also omicron being a bit less deadly, if more contagious). As long as the NHS is coping with the numbers, knee jerk calls for harsh lockdown measures are probably at best overzealous.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
On the other hand, when schools are closed cases drop so maybe they oughta do that a while.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's too early to say how bad omicron will be. What's key is we don't know if it's more transmissible than delta, which was already ridiculously transmissible compared to the original strain, we don't know how effective it is at breakthrough infections outside of knowing it can infect the previously infected, we don't know whether it has a different incubation period. Not to say we need to slam the lockdown button but cautious optimism should be shelved for now.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

Otoh going purely by cases is pretty simplistic. Deaths/hospitalisations are still a fraction of what they were last winter, and that's the important figure. If they start spiking again then sure, it's time to worry. But so far, they aren't increasing proportionally with new cases, probably due to vaccine protection (and perhaps also omicron being a bit less deadly, if more contagious). As long as the NHS is coping with the numbers, knee jerk calls for harsh lockdown measures are probably at best overzealous.

Yeah but do you wait for the NHS to be overwhelmed or act preemptively? Even if it is milder and more people are vaccinated we must be at risk of a large admissions spike just off the back of the infection rate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Andoman posted:

yeah doubling every 2 days we are going to hit some epic figures soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how many people would actually take notice if they banned mixing at Christmas again. Probably not many?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

I wonder how many people would actually take notice if they banned mixing at Christmas again. Probably not many?

All spirits to be drunk neat? Sounds like a hell of a party.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

It's too early to say how bad omicron will be. What's key is we don't know if it's more transmissible than delta, which was already ridiculously transmissible compared to the original strain, we don't know how effective it is at breakthrough infections outside of knowing it can infect the previously infected, we don't know whether it has a different incubation period. Not to say we need to slam the lockdown button but cautious optimism should be shelved for now.

We definitely do know it's more transmissible than Delta - Japanese study suggests about 4.2 times more, we do know it has an incubation period of about 7-10 days, more like wild type than delta, and we definitely know it's very effective at breakthrough infections because of how it did in SA

It may be less severe, but given the sheer number of cases it's going to cause/is causing as we speak, it's still extremely bad news

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Andoman posted:

Amazon have very kindly done all my Xmas shopping trips for me, not because I am avoiding people or anything like that - just lazy

Ah, i meant for fresh food, i have a fridge but no freezer so it's just a hit & run job to Tesco at 8am and i'm done. :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Some extremely light caveats on that number - the logistical issues with testing at the end of last week and the beginning of this mean that this is just the highest amount of reported cases in one day, not the highest amount of new cases on a single day - although that does mean the (very high) numbers for the last few days were also under-reported.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sebzilla posted:

All spirits to be drunk neat? Sounds like a hell of a party.

Many years ago when I was a very silly undergraduate I played a game of ring of fire with neat spirits only being one of the rules. It was very, very silly, and looking back I am quite surprised that the guy who got the king's cup and ended up downing near a pint of mixed up whisky and vodka and rum didn't die.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

if its doubling every 2 days they'll be 2.5 million a day by xmas

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

I thought we did know a lot of these things? There's this from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/omicron-coronavirus-variant.html

It's a good and balanced article and worth a read.

The main takeaway from it, IMO, is this:

quote:

Researchers are creating mathematical models to figure out what Omicron will do in the months to come. These models, by necessity, are based on assumptions about the variant, and those assumptions may need to be altered as more evidence comes to light. But scientists can already see that Omicron is very transmissible and adept at evading immune defenses.

It seems to be saying that even if we don't know *precisely* how much more transmissible it is, and how well it can evade immune defenses (previous covid infection or vaccine), that it's prudent to take action right now. Waiting until we know these things will be too late.

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a quote from some WHO doctor or epidemiologist that was like:

quote:

You must take actions that seem disproportionate. If you wait until they seem proportionate, it will be too late.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

Tories will ban race-mixing for Xmas. Tory Xmas party largely unaffected

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some extremely light caveats on that number - the logistical issues with testing at the end of last week and the beginning of this mean that this is just the highest amount of reported cases in one day, not the highest amount of new cases on a single day - although that does mean the (very high) numbers for the last few days were also under-reported.

Yeah the cases by specimen date tells a slightly less extreme story than the cases by date reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is the "O" in now emphasised because of omicron? Lovely marketing.