Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tom has been considering divorce for awhile and the conversation with Shiv where she clearly hasn't even thought about where he fits in the post takeover company seals his decision to rat them out.

He gets to stay in the life and in power without her.

I'm fairly certain Tom can't just call up an attorney for info about a divorce settlement he has no stake in.

Guze fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Guze posted:

Or alternately he now holds all the cards in their relationship. He goes from no hand (no hand, Jerry!) to hand.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guze posted:

Tom has been considering divorce for awhile and the conversation with Shiv where she clearly hasn't even thought about where he fits in the post takeover company seals his decision to rat them out.

I'm fairly certain Tom can't just call up an attorney for info about a divorce settlement he has no stake in.

My guess is that Logan and Tom have talked about it before, and it's something they've been working out with Rex beforehand.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why would shiv be visually upset with Tom if the implication wasn’t that he was the insider? Lmao

stev posted:

To be fair it took me a second to work out and I had to rewatch that scene. If you miss Logan's expression when he sees Tom and Shiv's expression when she sees Logan's expression then it could fly under the radar.

Yeah, I could see someone viewing it as "Shiv is furious about the situation, she doesn't love Tom and thus Tom's presence makes her no less furious", but the timing of Tom showing up as the siblings wonder who ratted them out made it pretty clear that it was Tom, at least to me.

Unless it's a red herring, I suppose! But my partner and I are of the mind that it was Tom, possibly directly, possibly accidentally.

stev posted:

I get the arrogance behind it but... he must realise that he's not going to be able to raise that kid right? What's the point of wanting a flesh and blood successor if they won't take power until 25 years after you're gone and you have to rely on someone else to impart your monstrous lessons on them?

True, but this is also the guy who went "I COULD HAVE SAVED IT. I DON'T KNOW HOW, BUT I WOULD HAVE" regarding a failed business move, so...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah I went back and rewatched it again and definitely had a bade take on Tom's actions. I think I just wanted Tom to be the good guy in this case, but I guess screwing over Shiv and the other siblings is actually the correct move so it works out.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah I went back and rewatched it again and definitely had a bade take on Tom's actions. I think I just wanted Tom to be the good guy in this case, but I guess screwing over Shiv and the other siblings is actually the correct move so it works out.

:yeah: I definitely get that.

https://twitter.com/americanamemes/status/1468037761252741123

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I could see someone viewing it as "Shiv is furious about the situation, she doesn't love Tom and thus Tom's presence makes her no less furious", but the timing of Tom showing up as the siblings wonder who ratted them out made it pretty clear that it was Tom, at least to me.

Unless it's a red herring, I suppose! But my partner and I are of the mind that it was Tom, possibly directly, possibly accidentally.

Yeah that’s fair. I guess that illustrates how good Toms character is written and performed, that there can still be a sliver of doubt of his intentions.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Tom wearing a wire would make sense for why the fed stuff quieted down a bunch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

papa horny michael posted:

If we're going down that rabbit hole maybe Tom was waiting for an opportunity to worm his way into Logan's inner-inner circle, decided to seize on the situation and was actually inviting Greg to join team FBI.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

papa horny michael posted:

The only thing I feel points to that is how calm he was when the DOJ (FBI? whatever) was raiding the Waystar offices. Then again, that could also be because he had already made his peace with going to prison...

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Dont need drinks to feel like that at the cheesecake factory

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Greg destroyed quite a few file boxes and only salavges two or three pages from the fire.

Kendall doesn't have much, wasn't really forthcoming about what he knew about the cruise crimes and prosecution is limited by things like maritime law and the statute of limitations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I think I know where this is going...

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Tom’s phone call to mystery lawyer Rex Hendon had me convinced that he was working his own angle with the DOJ earlier in the season. The longer that went with it not being the case, I was left wondering what that scene meant. Finding out that it establishes how involved he is with screwing over the kids finally satisfies that mystery. “Rex Hendon is dealing with it all.”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Withnail posted:

I think I know where this is going...

I love this post so much. Succession and BCS are my current two favourites.

Also, my wife, who watched it all with me, just asked "Rex Hendon? Who IS that anyway? Rex marriages, more like it."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 16, 2021

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Tom thinks he’s Nero and that he’s going to burn down Rome. In fact he is Sporus, Logan is Nero, and the kids are the Four Emperors.

Aside from Tom’s Nero references and Roman’s name, have there been other obvious Roman history references?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I think Frank quotes Coriolanus at one point, if that counts.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Do y'all remember when grandpa quotes some fancy poo poo at Greg, and he responds with something like "....Ah, good ol' _____. He always knew what to say!"

What episode was that, and who was he quoting? It's driving me crazy. I think it was season 2?

Smeef posted:

Aside from Tom’s Nero references and Roman’s name, have there been other obvious Roman history references?

Anything relevant happen in Tuscany back in those days?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Do y'all remember when grandpa quotes some fancy poo poo at Greg, and he responds with something like "....Ah, good ol' _____. He always knew what to say!"

What episode was that, and who was he quoting? It's driving me crazy. I think it was season 2?

Anything relevant happen in Tuscany back in those days?

I don't remember what episode number it was, but it was at Logan's surprise party. End-ish of season 2.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I think Frank quotes Coriolanus at one point, if that counts.

And then Logan delivers the best line of the episode: “Why don’t you take your library card and gently caress off?”

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't remember what episode number it was, but it was at Logan's surprise party. End-ish of season 2.

You're an angel. I found this:

quote:

Greg: Yeah, yeah. Tacitus. Classic Tacitus.

Ewan: 'He's made a wasteland and calls it an empire.'

Greg: God, Tacitus... He just... just...All killer, no filler with him. Did he ever have a bad quote?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

Tom’s phone call to mystery lawyer Rex Hendon had me convinced that he was working his own angle with the DOJ earlier in the season. The longer that went with it not being the case, I was left wondering what that scene meant. Finding out that it establishes how involved he is with screwing over the kids finally satisfies that mystery. “Rex Hendon is dealing with it all.”

this doesnt make much sense 2 me and even tho hindsight means it could fit, it reads as crazy as "ken isnt actually drowning", "ken wasnt the one that played rape me", etc to me

tom told greg he had a friend for dealing w/ how he was going to prison, that was doing poo poo like telling him how prison food tastes. he talks to logan ab how hes totally on his side and ready to take the fall, then he leaves him, looking nervous and looking for an empty space where he wont be listened to, and he makes a call to a lawyer (which that friend of his explicitly told him ab) to... somehow gently caress over the kids? i dont buy it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm just assuming he's a really good divorce attorney and Tom's laying the groundwork to get out from under Shiv. Or it'll never be mentioned again or will have 0 to do with anything, which is more likely.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
logan wasnt remotely interested atp w/ loving over his kids like that. it wouldnt be anywhere near toms main concern and thered be no reason for it to be some silent secret talk btw them ab it. its too contrived.

that just reads to me like tom finding a lawyer so that he could possibly save his rear end, ending up pussying out/not needing him anyways bc he got saved, then having him on the speed dial when he wanted to betray the kids later to make his move. not like it was planned all the way back then. so its not even that interesting a build up either. him doing the nero speech is much cooler.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

I'm just assuming he's a really good divorce attorney and Tom's laying the groundwork to get out from under Shiv. Or it'll never be mentioned again or will have 0 to do with anything, which is more likely.

but tom wanted shivs baby b4 going to prison. why would he be looking for a divorce at the same time? tom seemed like he was desperately trying to grasp for any form of control atp, not trying to get rid of shiv. if anything it was shiv trying to get rid of him.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Didn't that phone call happened right after both Shiv and Logan just kinda nodded to him suggesting he'd go to jail? He said he wanted to start the proceedings at the end of season two but then decided to eat Logan's chicken instead. I could be wrong (probably in fact, haven't guessed much right).

Also, why are you typing like you're taking out a want ad?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
People itt not familiar with the concept of a farce I guess.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Fucker posted:

but tom wanted shivs baby b4 going to prison. why would he be looking for a divorce at the same time? tom seemed like he was desperately trying to grasp for any form of control atp, not trying to get rid of shiv. if anything it was shiv trying to get rid of him.

Have a baby to save the failing relationship is like the Free Space in Bad Relationship Bingo

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
The more likely scenario is that Tom is worried about being divorced while he's in jail and wants to understand his options.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Fucker posted:

this doesnt make much sense 2 me and even tho hindsight means it could fit, it reads as crazy as "ken isnt actually drowning", "ken wasnt the one that played rape me", etc to me

tom told greg he had a friend for dealing w/ how he was going to prison, that was doing poo poo like telling him how prison food tastes. he talks to logan ab how hes totally on his side and ready to take the fall, then he leaves him, looking nervous and looking for an empty space where he wont be listened to, and he makes a call to a lawyer (which that friend of his explicitly told him ab) to... somehow gently caress over the kids? i dont buy it.

The easiest explanation is Tom introduced Rex as a proposed solution when he introduced the problem to Logan. At this point, it strongly suggests Tom did more than simply tip off Logan. We don’t know the details, but it doesn’t make sense for a fictional show to include the scene of Tom to have a secret call will a lawyer and then have that same lawyer named at the end if there’s not a connection.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

The more likely scenario is that Tom is worried about being divorced while he's in jail and wants to understand his options.

Tom has been the person who gets kicked most in the show, but this season has established he’s not a dummy. He’s likely considered multiple options, desperately wanting one where Shiv loves him back, but settled on this after getting kicked one too many times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ghostwritingduck posted:

The easiest explanation is Tom introduced Rex as a proposed solution when he introduced the problem to Logan. At this point, it strongly suggests Tom did more than simply tip off Logan. We don’t know the details, but it doesn’t make sense for a fictional show to include the scene of Tom to have a secret call will a lawyer and then have that same lawyer named at the end if there’s not a connection.

But... Does Logan not have access to a good divorce lawyer?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

stev posted:

But... Does Logan not have access to a good divorce lawyer?

It’s been my experience that good lawyers help you explore options and advise. They don’t just do things independently. Tom likely presented the problem, an idea to solve it, and connected Caroline with the lawyer he had been working within things to this point. We also don’t know the scope of what Rex does. He likely represents a firm with a variety of lawyers working under him.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I just hope they stunt cast him if they ever have him physically in a scene. Like have Pierce Brosnan walk through the shot and Greg say “Oh, hi Rex”.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I picture Ian Mcshane.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Also Logan dealing with the Pierce family's more-literate-than-thou Shakespeare quoting

"Would you like to hear my favourite piece of Shakespeare? Take the fuckin' money."

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Smeef posted:

Tom thinks he’s Nero and that he’s going to burn down Rome. In fact he is Sporus, Logan is Nero, and the kids are the Four Emperors.

There's a little bit in this season's finale where da Swede mentions Zuckerberg and an anecdote about Roman slaves and capes.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
New watcher that has been binging because of all the hype. Few more episodes till im caught up. Loving the show but so irritated I spaced and forgot something. It was a term they used to describe the people that died on the boats. It haunted me for like days but then one day I woke up and just forgot. Was going to research the term itself to see if people really used it. I've lived near a giant rich people getaway/tourist trap quite a few years now so this show really hits hard sometimes. I've even done gigs like that poor server that got stoned, killed and forgotten.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

New watcher that has been binging because of all the hype. Few more episodes till im caught up. Loving the show but so irritated I spaced and forgot something. It was a term they used to describe the people that died on the boats. It haunted me for like days but then one day I woke up and just forgot. Was going to research the term itself to see if people really used it. I've lived near a giant rich people getaway/tourist trap quite a few years now so this show really hits hard sometimes. I've even done gigs like that poor server that got stoned, killed and forgotten.

no real person involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I liked the pilot episode well enough, but it was Tom finding out about the Death Pit, the mind virus, and then spreading that to Greg that really got me hooked.

And here I thought (at the time) that they got out of that just fine.