Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend

Gaz2k21 posted:

Is there actually anything to do in this tech demo I’ve wondered around a bit and played with the settings it looks amazing I admit and the city looks huge.

Apparently they're going to make more things to do in it in future but that'll be months and months away at the very least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Awakened experience is unbelievable and if you have the hardware you should definitely try it. First time I've wowed at a game in probably 10 years. Shame its not on PC.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a new trailer today?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's a Youtube channel uploading extremely candid interviews and 20 minutes of behind the scenes b-roll of the entire movie in chronological order and it's all very spoiler-y and I straight up know poo poo so I guess watch out if you want?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Szmitten posted:

There's a Youtube channel uploading extremely candid interviews and 20 minutes of behind the scenes b-roll of the entire movie in chronological order and it's all very spoiler-y and I straight up know poo poo so I guess watch out if you want?

What's the channel called?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

Is there actually anything to do in this tech demo I’ve wondered around a bit and played with the settings it looks amazing I admit and the city looks huge.

I feel like there should be some fun easter eggs buried in there given all the effort that was put into the city, but I fully admit that I basically just had my face melted by the initial shock that I could zoom around and promptly forgot about actually exploring the starting space.

I saw the whole intro and shootout/chase stuff about a month and a half ago and legit had no idea they were going to just plop you down into the world after that, so I'd written off the demo as something that was meant to be seen once, oohed and ahhed over, and then forgotten. I'm really, really happy they made into a space that you can explore fully, because that is some bonkers rear end tech and it holds up to closer inspection.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I do think it's weird how the windows in the buildings show different rooms depending on the pane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Azubah posted:

I do think it's weird how the windows in the buildings show different rooms depending on the pane.

There aren't really rooms in there, it's a mapping trick. Which is why you noticed it. :)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It may not have been intentional, but it replicates the feeling of deja vu well. I would love a Matrix game that intentionally fucks with you like that.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WonkyBob posted:

What's the channel called?

FabTV. Playlist here but literal plot/lore/identity/scene/whole movie structure spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL97AJESKRIokX0d6JX8oG0j75Tpm8kAoU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SamBishop posted:

I feel like there should be some fun easter eggs buried in there given all the effort that was put into the city, but I fully admit that I basically just had my face melted by the initial shock that I could zoom around and promptly forgot about actually exploring the starting space.

A ton of actual film development uses unreal 5 now.

I imagine this is movie assets with a bunch of sliders turned down more than stuff they put lots of work into for a game.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I may catch a midday showing off the matrix rerelease at an empty theatre tomorrow, if lunch falls through. Anyone know if it has that hellishly green overtinting thing going on or is it at least mildly what it was at release?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Szmitten posted:

FabTV. Playlist here but literal plot/lore/identity/scene/whole movie structure spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL97AJESKRIokX0d6JX8oG0j75Tpm8kAoU

I've only watched a few of these so far, but wow, they reveal some crazy poo poo in here. These feel like bonus home release material that leaked ridiculously early.

edit: Haha, the Keanu one drops a bomb. I don't mind spoilers at all so I'm good, but if you do, stay the gently caress out of these.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 14, 2021

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Those videos seem inaccessible so going to assume that was a little oopsie by the uploader

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

thrawn527 posted:

I've only watched a few of these so far, but wow, they reveal some crazy poo poo in here. These feel like bonus home release material that leaked ridiculously early.

edit: Haha, the Keanu one drops a bomb. I don't mind spoilers at all so I'm good, but if you do, stay the gently caress out of these.
Mind dropping a spoiler tag and letting those of us curious enough to know? The videos are all gone.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A ton of actual film development uses unreal 5 now.

I imagine this is movie assets with a bunch of sliders turned down more than stuff they put lots of work into for a game.

It apparently took a team an entire year to make the demo, I wonder what was custom developed and what could be done as a ‘regular’ professional with these tools…

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
bought a ticket to see it in IMAX on the 22nd :toot: not sure if IMAX is the way to go, I haven't been in ages, but I hear the high budget SFX stuff is really great that way vs. the standard screenings

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I saw one movie in IMAX, Logan. Was not worth it. I'm hoping theres going to be a legit way to stream in Canada though I haven't seen any indicators yet. I might have to wait until I go into the city after boxing day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Abner Assington posted:

Mind dropping a spoiler tag and letting those of us curious enough to know? The videos are all gone.

The "bomb" I was referring to is that he reveals that this version of Morpheus is an A.I. No idea who programmed him, or what's that's going to mean.

Trinity stuff: she is currently someone named Tiffany who likes motorcycles, and is married (Chad Stahelski, director of John Wick, and former stunt man on The Matrix for Keanu, plays her husband) with three kids, and meets Thomas Anderson. But starts to realize that something is off, and eventually realizes that she is Trinity.

Goff is Smith, just a new form of him for some reason (they were vague on this). This isn't surprising, but he says he fights Neo, but also punches "the analyst", who I'm pretty sure is NPH? The way he describes his fight against Neo seems cool, because he said he was worried since he's not a trained fighter, but he said Lana wanted his fighting style to be slow but powerful. So Neo would get in 4-5 quick hits, and then he'd get in 1 giant hit.

I only got to watch half of them before they were taken down.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 14, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

The "bomb" I was referring to is that he reveals that this version of Morpheus is an A.I. No idea who programmed him, or what's that's going to mean.

Trinity stuff: she is currently someone named Tiffany who likes motorcycles, and is married (Chad Stahelski, director of John Wick, and former stunt man on The Matrix for Keanu, plays her husband) with three kids, and meets Thomas Anderson. But starts to realize that something is off, and eventually realizes that she is Trinity.

Goff is Smith, just a new form of him for some reason (they were vague on this). This isn't surprising, but he says he fights Neo, but also punches "the analyst", who I'm pretty sure is NPH? The way he describes his fight against Neo seems cool, because he said he was worried since he's not a trained fighter, but he said Lana wanted his fighting style to be slow but powerful. So Neo would get in 4-5 quick hits, and then he'd get in 1 giant hit.

I personally wouldn't call that a bomb since it's been shown in the TV spots, granted it needs some speculation to come to that deduction.

The Tiffany stuff aligns with plot leaks from months back which actually were pretty lackluster, shame.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

codo27 posted:

I saw one movie in IMAX, Logan. Was not worth it.

I've seen many movies in IMAX and many of them were worth it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Okay so I saw all and am just abridging. Watch out literal plot poo poo

Lore/Backstory/Setup: The machines had a civil war and cast out the more progressive machines, and Niobe gave them shelter in a new human city called Io, itself a splinter from Zion. There is a statue of Fishburne Morpheus. Machines and programs are rendered as CG characters in the real world, synthient is a word. Neo's sacrifice at the end of Revolutions did something not so good and might have been for nothing but there was no way anyone could know.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II's character: He is identified as Agent Smith. He goes on a journey to become Morpheus instead.

Groff: The original Smith in a new shell/role who eventually remembers and thanks "Tom"/"Mr Anderson" for freeing him "again".

General structure ACTUAL loving PLOT DON'T: Bugs and Morpheus try to get Neo out twice and are only successful the second time. In the real world Neo is briefly imprisoned until Bugs' team goes rogue and helps him go back into the Matrix for Trinity. Smith, Merovingian, and Analyst all try to stop their reunion. The rooftop jump is near the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Dave posted:

I personally wouldn't call that a bomb since it's been shown in the TV spots, granted it needs some speculation to come to that deduction.

It was? I don't remember anything that led to that deduction, but alright, I must have missed it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFv6vEOmoA

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Okay so I saw all and am just abridging. Watch out literal plot poo poo

Lore/Backstory/Setup: The machines had a civil war and cast out the more progressive machines, and Niobe gave them shelter in a new human city called Io, itself a splinter from Zion.

FYI i/o was the original machine city they built when trying to coexist with humanity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ha, okay, I definitely never saw that clip.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The Dave posted:

FYI i/o was the original machine city they built when trying to coexist with humanity.

People have said this but that was 01.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh dang

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speculation and Possible Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAw5WuGG5Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPtAeoqKvM

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 15, 2021

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Completed my rewatch of Reloaded on the 4k set. Some of the CGI hasnt aged very well (the Trinity fall, Morpheus fighting on the truck, some explosions), but overall looks great.

Its been a while since I have watched this in its entirety again, but I think its a pretty solid sequel. Its main weaknesses i think are that it just needs to trim down some of the scenes. The intro trinity falling dream starts to drag with slow mo gunshot after gunshot. I guess it was a nice tech demo at the time, but now we just want to move past it. Same issue with the horde of smiths brawl. The idea is fine, but it just goes on for too long (also cannot unhear the bowling sound effect now). On other hand I thought the freeway battle and fight in the merovingians house were paced well with some nice cuts or slow mo to break it up. Persephone still feels like she could just be cut, though I guess its another demonstration of how Neo and Trinity's love is essential .

Its fun seeing how much of a zealot Morpheus is now. He was right about Neo existing, so every action he makes or conversation he has is filled with that unwavering confidence. Drive on the freeway, fight an agent, worry about sentinels? None of that matters as they are on the one true path. He even prays for Neo's help on top of the truck and Neo provides. So finding out all of the prophecy/religion is just for control really feels shattering.

The Merovingian is pretty fun. He straight up tries to warn Neo that "hey you need to think about why you are doing this". Even the Oracle cautions Neo on who to trust. But Neo like all of us are so sure that Morpheus still knows the way.

Overall I enjoyed the increased philosophical side to the sequel and how its not just kill all machines. Also the architect is still just perfect. The tv camera transitions in the sequence are so slick. As for Smith, Weaving continues to just steal every scene he is in.

I am less excited to rewatch Revolutions, but at the same time I can barely remember the first half of it, so should be interesting at least.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

barnold posted:

bought a ticket to see it in IMAX on the 22nd :toot: not sure if IMAX is the way to go, I haven't been in ages, but I hear the high budget SFX stuff is really great that way vs. the standard screenings

It depends on the theater, there arent many "real" IMAX theaters. Real meaning the ones that project IMAX shot footage at a 1.43:1 aspect ratio.

A lot of theaters that label themselves IMAX show a lot of movies not shot for IMAX or will only show the 1.9:1 versions of IMAX footage.

Matrix wasnt shot in full IMAX but will be opened up to 1.9:1. This is similar to any recent MCU films IMAX format.

codo27 posted:

I saw one movie in IMAX, Logan. Was not worth it.

Yeah idk, seeing a movie shot in IMAX like a Nolan film or recently Dune in a big real IMAX theater is simply the best possible to see a film, period. Its an experience.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Most VFX shots are still rendered in 2K, so unless it was planned for it from the beginning, IMAX isn't going to give you a better image than a standard theater. You might get some more vertical image if they're opening up the matte, but in most cases that's going to make the movie look worse, since the shots would've been composed for a different aspect ratio.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

AccountSupervisor posted:

It depends on the theater, there arent many "real" IMAX theaters. Real meaning the ones that project IMAX shot footage at a 1.43:1 aspect ratio.

A lot of theaters that label themselves IMAX show a lot of movies not shot for IMAX or will only show the 1.9:1 versions of IMAX footage.

Matrix wasnt shot in full IMAX but will be opened up to 1.9:1. This is similar to any recent MCU films IMAX format.

it's definitely not a real IMAX. but I totally admit that I bought the ticket because the seats are way better and spread apart compared to the standard screening. so if it sucks at least I'll be able to come back and give the trip report!

funny enough there is a true world-class IMAX with Laser near me, but it's been closed for over a year now due to COVID with no reopening in sight. sad

e: if Wiki is to be believed, and it probably shouldn't be, the theater I'm going to is on the list of "true" IMAX theaters. it's also on the IMAX website as "IMAX with Laser" but it's an AMC and I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that AMC mostly just has LieMAX screens. I don't know what to think! but I do know I'll be seeing the Matrix and it's gonna own :blastu:

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 15, 2021

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I look forward to hearing the actual audio for this next time I see it. :v:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

barnold posted:

it's definitely not a real IMAX. but I totally admit that I bought the ticket because the seats are way better and spread apart compared to the standard screening. so if it sucks at least I'll be able to come back and give the trip report!

funny enough there is a true world-class IMAX with Laser near me, but it's been closed for over a year now due to COVID with no reopening in sight. sad

e: if Wiki is to be believed, and it probably shouldn't be, the theater I'm going to is on the list of "true" IMAX theaters. it's also on the IMAX website as "IMAX with Laser" but it's an AMC and I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that AMC mostly just has LieMAX screens. I don't know what to think! but I do know I'll be seeing the Matrix and it's gonna own :blastu:

AMC has two of the best IMAX Laser theaters in the world, NYC Lincoln Sqaure(second largest screen in the world iirc) and Universal City Walk in LA. I frequent both and theyre top tier.

You're gunna have a great time!

Robot Style posted:

Most VFX shots are still rendered in 2K, so unless it was planned for it from the beginning, IMAX isn't going to give you a better image than a standard theater. You might get some more vertical image if they're opening up the matte, but in most cases that's going to make the movie look worse, since the shots would've been composed for a different aspect ratio.

How does this work for VFX for full IMAX shots in movies like Dune?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The soundtrack for the first movie is getting a vinyl reissue with a new Don Davis interview:

https://www.kerrang.com/the-complete-matrix-soundtrack-to-get-deluxe-vinyl-reissue

quote:

Varèse Sarabande Records have announced a huge new Matrix reissue consisting of the entire, unforgettable original score on vinyl.

Composed by Don Davis, this new three-LP release – which will ship on June 3, 2022, no doubt also affected by the current vinyl shortage – will feature the entire soundtrack of 44 songs, as well as a new interview with Don in the liner notes conducted by Kaya Savas.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

How does this work for VFX for full IMAX shots in movies like Dune?

The working resolution usually matches the final delivery resolution, so something like Dune, which was delivered at 2K (though with a taller aspect ratio for IMAX) used downscaled plate photography. Doing an entire movie at 4K is still really expensive, so it's rare for an entire movie to be delivered at 4K unless there aren't a ton of shots that need to be done. Batman v Superman was mostly 2K, but a couple of sequences like the Knightmare and the Batman/Superman fight were delivered at 4K for IMAX.

Any non-VFX shot can be shown at whatever resolution the filmmakers want, so IMAX screenings of Matrix Resurrections (which used 6K and 8K cameras) might have some really crisp shots intercut with slightly fuzzy 2K VFX. American Sniper notably had this problem, so when Eastwood did Sully, it was a small enough show that we could afford to deliver the VFX entirely in 4K.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Those videos suck we've all seen the original movies.

Saying it again no-one was crying out for a new Matrix flik, Lana has made this movie because she has a story she wants to tell, she's not trying to fill in blanks or errors or incidental inconsistencies in the original trilogy. This movie is exciting because it's not predictable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Archer666 posted:

The soundtrack for the first movie is getting a vinyl reissue with a new Don Davis interview:

https://www.kerrang.com/the-complete-matrix-soundtrack-to-get-deluxe-vinyl-reissue

Very cool! Definitely ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Re-watching Revolutions made me wonder how the Smiths worked. How did they pass along who the main Smith was. Are all Smiths equal? The last Smith being the Oracle Smith seems to have powers the others don't, but also seems to be in charge, having taken the mantle of main Smith from the Smith that infected him.