Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Rinka's Room

05/29 (TUE), Night
After a long day, I finally have some time to relax in my room. Nothing noteworthy has happened beyond this morning's events. Although, I guess the fact that my class has finally gotten around to prepping for the culture festival counts as noteworthy. Sounds like they've moved forward with the fortune teller idea. The one in charge will essentially prepare a bunch of fortune telling “methods” and use them on whoever stops by. They've gone with this plan because the one in charge wants to test out these so-called methods.

Fortune telling... Reading one's fate... Funny how they've ended up with that after the things I've experienced. At least I'm not involved in the plans or being asked for my opinion. They're just gonna ask me and Miharu to help the day of. Mao, on the other hand, seems fascinated by the whole thing. She'll be helping to prep it as well as work longer than we will during the festival.

“All I gotta do is act serious and mutter some cryptic stuff. That's right up my alley.”

Just what you'd expect to hear from her. I wonder if they'll manage to finish everything on time, since the culture festival's in two weeks. I bet we're the only class this far behind schedule.

Phew...

I already feel exhausted and it's barely 10 p.m. Well, it makes sense, considering I left the house so early this morning. Ushizuka Shigetsugu... I repeat the elderly man's name in my head to make sure I don't forget it. Now I have to find out his cause of death and regret, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm still curious about that girl staying with him, too. While I do have her cause of death card, all I know is that a fire is involved. Nothing else. That's probably the biggest issue with the cards dealt to us at the beginning.

First things first, I gotta plan what to do going forward.

As if things aren't difficult enough, I've got Federico and Numeral XI to worry about as well. Things may have gone well enough yesterday and today, but that doesn't mean I'm a pro when it comes to tailing people and such. It's entirely possible that I'll mess up at some point and get myself stuck in a tight spot. Regardless, I can't sit back and let those two get the upper hand. One option is to throw caution to the wind and approach Ushizuka directly, but... that's too risky. Numeral XI would likely end up adding me to her list of targets alongside him and the girl if I did that. I try searching “Ushizuka Shigetsugu” on the Internet, but I don't get any relevant results. Getting info on him without putting myself out there seems tricky. I can't just waltz over to City Hall and ask for his family register when I'm completely unrelated to him, either. That's why I'm going to approach things from a different angle.

I do have an advantage over that duo. A majority of the participants, myself included, are from Japan- plus, most are located near Shinjuku, an area rich with schoolgirls just like me. It keeps me from standing out in most situations, which is advantageous. The only issue is that the sole approach I can think of involves questioning the locals near his residence. Actually, that might not be too bad of an idea. I did shuffle over there pretty early this morning, so there weren't many people around. It's probably why those two showed up when they did, too. They aimed for a time when few people would be around.

But as for me, I don't need to worry about standing out...

It's hardly normal to ask questions about some random old man, but hey. I'll still seem less suspicious than either of those two doing the same. If I really need to, I can even pretend to be the granddaughter of an ex-wife or something. I just need to act like Naomi did at the hospital where Keiko was. I'll try going in the evening. Everyone's running around shopping around then. Not only does it give me more people to question, but I can also blend into the crowds if need be.

With that sorted, I should sleep as much as possible so I'll be ready to take action. But just as I'm about to turn out the lights, I hear a distinct “meow” coming from down by my feet. It's none other than Lethe, our friendly little freeloading cat.

Oh. What is it, Lethe?

I always make sure to feed it and have water out, so I doubt it's hungry. It doesn't respond to my question, of course. It'd be pretty freaky if it did.

Sorry, but I'm gonna go to sleep.

I want to give it some attention, but I'm a bit too tired tonight. I flick the light off and clamber into bed. Lethe follows suit, which is rare. It prefers to sleep atop the covers, not under them. This little rascal has the habit of using my stomach as its pillow, too. I stroke its head for a moment before shutting my eyes and focusing on sleep. It's amazing how warm something with such a tiny little body can be.

…...

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

05/29 (TUE), Midnight
There's a term for when one realizes they're dreaming- lucid dreaming. Ever since Divine Selection began, I've experienced it at least once per week. Granted, I'm not quite sure that you can call what goes on in the Court of Fate a dream. Whatever. I find myself once again in a strange place, despite knowing for a fact that I went to sleep not long ago.

Hey there. I'd say 'been a while', but I'm not sure if it actually has been or not. Don't comprehend you humans' perception of time too well.

I've seen this man once before. It's only now that I remember having met him in my dreams before, though.

I take it you remember me? Or remembered me just now? Like how you've lost some of your precious memories, it's a foregone conclusion that you'll forget everything that occurs in this dream.

I want to say something, but I find myself unable to speak. He dominates the conversation.

It may be a bit rude to say this when you run a coffee shop, but I'm actually a lot more interested in tea. In fact, I've been aching for some good afternoon tea for a while. Alas. Not only do I have no one to talk to here, there aren't any tea sets to use, either. Such a shame.

This man knows who I am. I'm not sure how important that realization is when I'm likely to forget everything he says, though.

Well, enough pleasantries for now. There's no time to waste on those when one of your lost memories has made its way back to you. It's precisely for that reason that I made the effort to bring you here and offer my congratulations.

Which memory, you ask? Ah, it seems I appeared before you actually recovered the memory by mistake. Understanding your concept of time is truly a difficult task. Its flow may be linear, but the rate at which it moves always throws me off.

Anyway, do take this opportunity to recall some prior events before morning comes.

…...

I'm standing alone in the Court of Fate. I'm on the same platform as usual, but for some reason, none of the other participants are here.

Good evening, you poor lost lamb. I'm afraid to inform you that you have become a slave to fate.

A girl dressed in all white addresses me. It's Parca. She stands in front of me, despite the fact that there's no solid surface beneath her feet. I watch from a distance as both of us face one another. I conclude that this is one of my memories, since I'm able to watch myself as though I am a third party.

Your spirit has found itself roaming the corridors of fate after your passing. Fear not. Fate has changed its course, and thus, you will become a participant in Divine Selection.

She begins to tell me about Divine Selection. She explains all the rules... I watch myself try to get a word in every now and then, but she ignores each attempt. Everything she's explaining here is the exact same as what she told us during the first election. Memories of an explanation I had heard before... This must've taken place right after I died, then. Considering the in-depth explanation she's giving, it's no wonder she was unimpressed with me when I asked her about it again. Well, remembering this explanation of rules I already know is more pointless than one would expect, too.

However, do keep in mind one thing. Fate initially foretold that all twelve participants would gather in the same place, at the same time, twelve weeks from now. It is a place that bears significance to all involved, even if that future has now been lost. It is what will be referred to as the final destination for your individual fates.

Should you find yourself as the last remaining participant, please make your way to this place. Reaching the final destination will serve as proof that you are alive and will thus overwrite your death for good. As for what will happen should you fail to reach it... Well, I would hate to spoil the surprise should that come to pass.

She didn't mention a specific time or place. Instead, she placed her finger on my brow. She closed her eyes and then her finger began to glow. She didn't need words for this part. With that touch, Parca etched the final destination into our minds...

…...

BGM: Powerless

05/30 (WED), Morning
My eyes jolt open after a night of sleep. I remember exactly what I saw in my dream. Immediately after my death, I was taken to the Court of Fate and met with Parca. She explained all the rules that I had heard during the first election. No wonder she was so unimpressed when I asked again. I'm fairly sure she told me my cause of death and regret as well, but I can't remember any of that... I remember something far more important, though.

The final destination of our individual fates...

This was the first time I'd heard of it. Becoming the final participant alone isn't enough. I will need to get to this place afterwards. It's a place I know quite well.

It's the same park where I talked things out with Naomi...

It's a huge park located in Shinjuku. A plaza from which you can see a clock tower-esque building in the distance is there. It's one of my favorite spots. That's where all twelve of us are meant to gather. The final destination of our individual fates.

I can't... believe it...

It's hard not to be surprised. That park is pretty close to my home. Twelve weeks after Divine Selection begins, or seven weeks from now. The weather will likely be nice, so I can't say that I wouldn't have gone for a walk there. Besides, it's also a popular tourist spot. Sonya mentioned that she had planned on coming to Japan with her family in the first place. It wouldn't be surprising if she would've gone there with them. As for the others, I'm not sure why they'd go there. But the fact remains that it's a popular spot. There are plenty of reasons to check it out.

It also explains the deja vu I felt there when talking to Naomi. Parca had shown me that scenery once before. I'm not sure how to describe the sensation I experienced when she did so. I guess it'd be similar to the feeling you get when you're dreaming.

Now it all makes sense...

BGM: Silence
I can finally answer a number of questions that I've been asking myself. It explains why most participants are Japanese, as well as why those who aren't have gathered in Japan. Parca never did explain why that place is our final destination. Much like how she never discussed how or why Divine Selection exists, she probably deemed it to be unnecessary information. Either way, I've managed to regain an important memory regarding the whole process.

By the time I finish processing this revelation, I notice that a certain feline isn't beside me anymore. Guess it slinked off at some point while I was asleep.

That cat sure knows how to pull off a disapurrance ac- Oh, no.

I let slip an awful cat pun without even thinking about it. At least there's no one at the door... I might've gone ahead and elected myself for elimination if someone caught me saying that.

Just as I start to get ready for school, I check the time and my heart nearly jumps out of my throat. I must've been in a pretty deep sleep. I woke up half an hour later than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Quackles posted:

Mix, how on earth do you make these updates at this utterly precipitous rate? I can't figure it out and my mind boggles.

Would you believe me if I said this is actually less work than BMEC was? :v: Mostly because those updates are a lot longer, to the point that one of the updates for that LP equals roughly the same amount of work as 2-3 of these do, even though these feel longer because there's a lot more narration and discussion since it's a pure VN with no gameplay elements to it.

The real answer is just that I have a really big buffer of updates already prepared ahead of time so I never feel any particular pressure about not getting an update out in time, and each time I play to make more updates I usually can knock out like 3-4 in a sitting at minimum (my typing speed is over 100wpm so I'm REALLY fast at transcribing stuff). Combine that with the fact that I did most of the work ahead of time preparing the dialogue portraits and setting up a personal reference sheet for the dialogue portraits and music urls for easy copying, and that I usually make the update banners alongside transcribing each update since I have a preset for that I can just pull up in CSP... it really only takes me like 15-20 minutes on average to take the transcription and make it update ready because I did a lot of the work upfront. Really all I have to do besides that is resizing each batch of screenshots, and I have a bulk resizer tool for that, so even that's pretty quick :v: I'm not complaining, since the next game I want to LP is going to require me to video record it, so it gives me breathing room to figure all that out

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Quackles posted:

[2] I'm 80% sure the man from the dream is Lethe the cat. They have the same pendant, and eyes.

Nice call, and excellent timing on catching up apparently!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm surprised Rinka. In all this chit-chatting. didn't confront Miharu about her own cause of death. Which Miharu knows.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Villain

05/30 (WED), Morning
Here we go again, loitering around Ushizuka Shigetsugu's house. Seems like he's the kind of guy who enjoys his morning walks. He might be happy that he doesn't need to worry about his back pain, but c'mon. How does anyone enjoy walking the same path over and over again? Whatever. The only thing we care about is that there's no one home this time of day. We're trying to think up a way to sneak in while he's out. And when I asked Odette what we'd do inside, she gave me a quick answer.

Look for keepsakes or mementos.

Not that any more needs to be said. It's pretty obvious what we'll do. The only piece of info we're missing is his regret. Chances are he's been living here forever, based on the crappy condition of this house. That means he'll have stuff that's been sitting around for ages. The kind of stuff that'll point us toward his regret, most likely. So basically, we gotta find keepsakes or mementos that link to the life he's led.

All right, so how're we getting in?

Smashing a window in would do the trick.

Trust her to make it even more obvious that she's about to commit a crime. Geez... Ain't no way we can get away with doing that in a place like this. It's not the middle of the night, either. It's still way too early in the morning. We at least avoided the morning rush, but that doesn't mean the streets are empty. I let out an exasperated sigh loud enough for Odette to hear before offering my own suggestion.

Lemme handle this one. Thanks to my time in the mafia, I know how to pick a lock or two.

Huh. Guess you've got some use after all.

I dunno about modern locks, but I should be able to bust this basic one open in about three minutes. Keep an eye out for me, though. Maybe no one cares about him, but I think everyone would report a fella like me trying to pick the lock on someone's door.

Fine, fine. Go ahead and enjoy your moment.

Just as she shoots a smirk at me, someone makes their way out of the house. Bingo. He's off for another morning walk. After making sure he's far enough away, we slip over to the door.

Let's do this. Keep an eye on the street for me.

All right. Before you start, though... You were paying attention to what he did when he left, right?

...Yeah.

So? Did he lock the door?

...Oh.

I get what she's talking about. He never did turn around to lock the door after leaving. When I think about it, he didn't lock it yesterday, either. I guess that's why Odette never mentioned anything about the lock in the first place. I bite my tongue to stop myself from cursing at her before twisting the doorknob.

…...

So much for getting my time to shine. I open the door, remove my shoes, and carry them in one hand as I make my way in. The interior looks the way I expected. Dilapidated wooden furniture, newspapers and magazines littered all over, et cetera. But holy hell, is it small. I dunno if it's normal for Japanese houses or not, but you can barely fit anything in here. In fact, me and Odette can't stand shoulder to shoulder without getting pressed against the walls.

Great. Time for some good old-fashioned rummaging.

Her expression is glowing as she opens and closes her hands in a grabbing motion. We probably don't need to worry about being loud while he's out, but I'm not too comfortable with Odette speaking at her typical volume.

Who's there...?
Their VA is listed as Miho Saito; this seems to be the only role they've ever been credited for, at least under this name.

That little question takes us by complete surprise. It's a kid's voice.

...The hell?

I don't recognize the voice, either. That geezer's supposed to be living by himself, so there shouldn't be anyone else here. I know I didn't imagine it, though. Someone definitely called out to us.

BGM: Impatience

What a pain.

Huh?

There are two of you, I take it.

The voice is more clear this time. But I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl. Definitely a kid, though.

I recognize those voices from somewhere... Oh, yeah! In the dream world!

Welp, that helps to explain things. Ain't no doubt about it now. The runt's a participant. Based on the voice, it's gotta be Numeral IV-

Didn't think I'd run into the blank kid here.

Numerals III and XI... I never expected you two would be working together.

And I never expected the old geezer to team up with Numeral IV...

We express our mutual disbelief simultaneously.

With that out of the way, the kid approaches us. Looks to be just over five feet tall. Ain't Japanese, based on the facial features. That's for sure. Looks real young, though. I'd guess they're in the middle of puberty, so... thirteen or fourteen? Their voice hasn't broken either, which makes it a doozy to discern gender. Based on their overall figure, though... I'd guess female.

Mind explaining things? Why'd you call them the 'blank' kid? Their name? If so, how'd you learn it?

Ohhh, I never told you. This kid's name card was part of my initial batch. But for whatever reason, the card's blank. I figured it'd appear once I met them in person, but that hasn't really been the case.

The kid's expression shifts upon hearing Odette's claim. Their guard has just gone up.

So if it's blank, does it mean this kid don't got no name?

Who knows. Care to find out?

Do you really think I'd tell you?

Heh.

The kid tries to provoke Odette with a glare, so she scoffs back.

Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I don't know my own name. I realize that I'm a participant in Divine Selection, but I don't remember a single thing from before that. How I died, what my life was like... Not even my own name.

...Amnesia or something?

Sheesh... That little goddess sure doesn't understand a thing about fairness. You can't just scrape someone up after dying and throw them back into the world without any memories.

Wow, you can actually sympathize with someone?

It ain't sympathy, dumbass. It's pity.

With that, she moves her sights back onto the kid.

Are you working with the old crone, then?

Working? No. We don't plan on getting involved, so we're just living out our normal lives.

...Wanna run that by me again?

So you're fine with getting killed off?

Of course not. But if we let you people eliminate each other, then we'll eventually be the only two left.

What'll you do then?

I want to let him live. He helped me when I was lost and took me into his home, even though I'm a participant. I don't have any memories, so I don't even know what my regret is. My life is fun with him, though. That's why I want it to last as long as possible.

Both of us are staring the kid down, but they don't flinch in the slightest. Normally I'd call bullshit on a story like that, but the kid's different. Their expression makes it clear they ain't lying.

Well, you probably guessed that we're here to find anything that'll point us toward the geezer's regret.

His regret? Not his cause of death?

Too bad, kid. That one's in the bag already.

I'll have to make sure you leave empty-handed, then. I'm sorry, but you can't set foot inside this house.

They lower the tone of their voice, making their threat obvious to us both. This sudden shift takes me by surprise, but I mean, we're dealing with a kid.

In other words, there's something here that'll give us a clue. Either that, or you already know it yourself.

H-Huh...? How did you...?

Got yourself to blame for tha tone, kid. Shoulda kept your mouth shut.

Oh, right... This is the first time I've met any participants other than Shigetsugu. You two must be desperate... That's why you're reading into everything I say.

Screw this. We've come this far, so let's just force our way in.

I glance over at Odette to get her agreement. She smiles and nods in response.

Ain't everyday that we agree on something. Let's shut this kid up and find what we're looking for before that old bag of bones gets back. Wouldn't be hard to shut him up when he gets back too, but we've still got a few days before the next election. Last thing we need is for them to call the police.

I am thinking the same thing. Things would get real annoying real fast if someone were to cause a ruckus here. Our passports and stuff might be good fakes, but it'd be tricky to sneak around with the police on our asses. We ain't the most decent people in the world, either. They'll find plenty to hold us on if they're given a reason to check our histories.

I don't see any cameras, so all we gotta do is make sure you won't spill the beans.

Don't get any funny ideas, kid. We'll let you go if you beat it now.

drat. You sure know how to act all tough against people weaker than you.

Shaddap!

BGM: The Battle Begins
Both of us move toward the kid. But they still won't budge. Hell, they provoke us even more.

I'm going to protect Shigetsugu from you.

Heh, the brat's got guts! You handle things here. I'll keep an eye out at the entrance.

Got it!

The quickest way to shut someone up is to crush their throat. It won't kill them, but it'll keep 'em from singing for a few solid days. I step through the narrow hallway, my hands aimed at the kid's throat. They manage to move quickly enough to dodge under me.

Speedy little brat!

It's pretty common for smaller targets. But in the end, a kid's just a kid. I've got the longer reach, not to mention the physical advantage.

Tch...

They turn their back to me and make their way further into the house.

Gonna run after all that talk, huh?

All they've done is move into another room. Noise travels pretty easy in a cramped house like this, so as long as it ain't one of them ninja houses, it shouldn't be hard to find them.

I'm not running.

They pop back out from the room they ran into. I kick at them with my left leg. It creates enough distance so that they won't be able to reach me.

That won't work...!

They dodge under me again, but it's not a big deal. As I bring my leg back down, I smack the kid with the back of my heel.

Urgh!

It connects with their shoulder, causing them to falter for a moment. I was aiming for their head, but they ducked out of the way in time. With my foot planted back on the ground, I move in for the kill again.

The hell are you doing?! Move!

Huh?

BGM: WARNING
Before I can react, the kid has slid right beneath me. They used the impact from my heel hitting them to close the gap between us. Don't tell me the brat actually let themselves take the hit... It's too late for me to do anything, though.

-!!!!!

I have no idea if I manage to let out a scream or not. I tried to block it, but there was no way.

The kid clenched their first and let loose with a flying uppercut straight into my crotch. Before the pain kicks in, I lose all feeling in my body for just a moment. And then the sharpest of pains rushes through me, almost like the organs above my groin are being strangled. My hands cover my crotch on reflex as I crumple to my knees.

Oomph...!

They don't stop there, though. Pain starts to rush through my shoulder next. This isn't pain from a blunt strike, though. It's from a sharp object.

Tch. I missed.

They're holding a knife in their right hand, which they had used to stab my shoulder.

Holy poo poo! That hurt!

Fortunately it hit the seam of my jacket, so I got away with a minor cut. They must've run into that room to grab the knife, so I assume it was the kitchen.

That's odd. I'm sure I was on target for the carotid...

Tch...

I do my best to collect myself, but the pain from my crotch isn't making it easy to move. They retract the knife and take aim for a second stab. Somehow, I manage to throw myself out of the way just in the nick of time. Although doing so leads to me faceplanting into the floor. I turn to face them, and see no hesitation on their face whatsoever. At least the pain's starting to fade. I raise my knees in order to kick myself back onto my feet and dodge the knife. Turns out that isn't their plan of attack. Instead, I can tell another shot at my crotch is coming.

Yikes!

Not wanting to experience that again, my body unconsciously ducks in order to dodge it.

I won't miss this time.

BGM: Odette
The next moment, a mammoth shadow passes over top of me.

Odette has launched her massive leg right into the kid. They block with both arms crossed in front of their face, but the impact still sends them flying across the hall.

You're kidding me. You lost to a little kid?

I-Ididn't lose!

Nobody in the world would believe that. If I'm being honest, I am terrified by how focused they were on decimating my loins.

Whoa.

The kid flings the knife across the hall toward us. Odette dodges it with ease, which leads to it clattering harmelssly on the floor. But the knife wasn't twirling around or anything in mid-air. It flew straight as an arrow.

Who the hell are you, kid?

I'm not sure. I just know that I can do this kind of stuff.

Your body remembers what your brain doesn't, I'd say!

Odette plucks the knife from the floor and chucks it back at the kid with even greater speed and precision. They knock it aside with a frying pan they've grabbed from nearby before scuttling off into the room across from where they got the knife. It was a tiny window of opportunity, but they took full advantage of it.

Off to get another weapon, huh? Hey, get your rear end off the floor!

I jump to my feet the millisecond she shouts at me.

Tch... What're they gonna bring out next?

I made the mistake of trying to kill you when participants can only die via elimination.

They reappear, muttering something at us.

But how will you handle this?

They brandish something in both hands, which they then heave toward us. Guess I'm their target again.

Ain't gonna hit me like that!

Looks like they've decided to chuck screwdrivers this time. Four of them, each around four inches long, are heading my way. Not like they'll hurt unless they catch you right in the eyes or mouth. Not great weapons, unlike the knife. All four scatter across the floor as I dodge them with a backstep. Odette charges in as soon as I step back to evade the flying tools.

He ain't the only one you gotta deal with, kid.

She prepares to use a spin kick.

Huh?

The kid must've seen it coming, though. They grab Odette's leg with their left hand and propel themselves upward, in what looks like a handstand. The ceiling is low enough that their feet reach it after that maneuver. Following that, they utilize the ceiling to propel themselves toward me yet again. With an even bigger knife in hand, mind you.

Why's the kid gunning for me?!

I ain't dumb enough to let someone leap straight into me. Their skill might've taken me by surprise, but I can dodge this, no problem. I slide my right foot back to do so.

Christ, how can you be this stupid?!

Her insult isn't directed toward the kid, but to me. My foot doesn't slide across the floor when I pull it back. Instead, I trip over something.

What the-?!

It's not like I've tripped over thin air, either. My foot has caught on something hard. It's one of those screwdrivers the kid had thrown at me a moment ago.

Now you're mine.

The kid uses the opening to thrust the knife into my side.

Grraaaaghhhh!

This time it digs deep into me. They retract the knife immediately and put some distance between us, their eyes watching Odette all the while. Blood starts to gush out of me, dousing my jacket. Fortunately, my ribs took the brunt of the blow, so my insides aren't damaged. I probably have a few cracked ribs, though. That probably would've killed me had the kid been a bit stronger.

Tch... Useless son of a... Let's jet.

I am already starting to lose consciousness when she says that. From what I manage to hear, the kid has no intention of chasing us down.

…...

…...

BGM: The Memory Remains

And then I dream. A dream so foreign to reality that I almost think it is another world entirely. I dream a dream about the one thing I've ever truly cared about. About the regret that only I could know about. There's an even more simple reason behind how I can tell it's just a dream. Because... there's no hope of me ever achieving it. This is a reality that will never come to fruition. A desire that I've convinced myself to give up on. The fact that I'm dreaming of it now proves I've still got regrets about it, though.

…..

BGM: Chilling With Sidekicks

Just as I start to wonder why my rear end hurts, I notice that I'm sitting by a road. Odette's standing beside me, a plastic bag in hand. I assume she dragged me all this way from that house. Must've stopped by a convenience store on the way to buy provisions, too. My side is still killing me, but it's all bandaged up and treated.

Did you...?

First-aid's a key skill on the sea. Can't let a wound like that fester, otherwise you'd be a goner.

Sorry...

You're a drat weakling, you know that?

I can't find any words to rebuke her with. I just click my tongue and shake my head. I looked down on the kid because of their age, but it wasn't just that. They completely outplayed me.

That aside, chances are the kid went through some kinda training that they forgot about thanks to their amnesia. That's why... Hey, what's wrong?

Wouldn't you have been better off just leaving me behind?

Gross. I'm gonna puke if you keep talking like that. Besides, I told you we'd work together, and you've still got some value. I ain't the type to break a promise. Usually.

Usually, huh? Doesn't inspire much confidence.

Shut up and have a drink.

She hands me a miniature bottle of wine. Normal folks wouldn't give an injured person alcohol, but hey, she's anything but normal. As further proof, she's already downing a drink herself.

Chilean wine, huh...? Oh, well. I'd be pissed if they sold the good Italian stuff in some crappy store around here.

You'll be fine if you've got enough energy to run your mouth. Even so, you should probably take it easy for the next week or so.

Just me, huh... No point in arguing with her when I know she won't listen. Instead, I pour the wine down my throat like it's water. It ain't top shelf stuff, but Chile's wine is pretty decent for the price. The taste of red wine helps me to settle down. You won't find may people out on the street drinking wine straight from the bottle back in Italy, but I gotta admit, I ain't against it. After enjoying our wine and a sandwich, we trudge back to our hotel.

That kid's gonna be real fun to deal with. I'll make sure to crush 'em next time.

I can tell that she isn't gonna go out looking for revenge on my part. That'd be pretty unnerving by itself. But I know her, and she's doing it for her own sake. It's been over a month since Divine Selection started, so I've managed to pick up enough clues to figure out what she's thinking every now and then. It's pretty ridiculous, but she's just looking forward to pummeling that kid.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

gently caress around and find out, Federico. What kind of idiot doesn't expect a crotch shot from someone who ducked under you? I guess he wasn't a footsoldier in the mafia...

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I appreciate the change in tone as it moves to Federico's internal dialogue instead of Rinkas.

The artist is way too fond of Odettes design. On top of that, her eyes literally have an afterglow and not just regular anime colours. I still wonder if she's supposed to be human.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I didn't really get the rules of the game but could 2 people in theory survive the whole thing or did it have to end with one survivor?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Parca said there could only be one person.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm really wondering what would have happened if none of them would have died. There's a lot that's missing here and there's been no clue to what a lot of it is yet.

Also, friendly reminder that Silver-Haired Kiddo already blew Rinka and co. up once...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Town

05/30 (WED), Evening
After school, I make my way to the district where Shigetsugu lives. I know the way by heart at this point- I've gotten somewhat familiar with the area, after all. I should be able to escape into a busier area if I somehow bump into that duo.

...Okay, let's do this.

I give myself a little pep talk out loud. Today's main goal is to ask around and find out anything I can about the relationship between Shigetsugu and that girl. Things go south almost immediately, though.

You wouldn't happen to be a participant, would you?
His VA is listed as Murao Shouhei; this seems to be the only role he's been credited for, at least under this name.

Someone approaches me from behind.

Huh...?

The very person I was about to gather info on meets my gaze when I spin around. He may be short, but he looks as tenacious up close as he did from afar in the dream world. He stares at me with a stone-cold poker face, a plastic bag in hand. I freeze the moment our eyes meet.

I recognize that face. Not many highschoolers look as threatening as you do.

You're...

Now, now. Allow me to hazard a guess. You've come here in search of information pertaining to me, yes?

His posture makes him look exhausted. He's completely unfazed, despite having run into another participant. Now that I think about it, he didn't react in the slightest when Numeral XI got her hands on his name card. He may sound somewhat surprised, but at the same time, he seems a bit apathetic.

Please. There's no need to be so tense. I have no intention to oppose any of you. My battlefield lays elsewhere. And today, I make my return after a great triumph.

Your battlefield...?

Indeed. I have my own battle to fight.

With another participant?

Heavens, no. I have my battles by the station.

I'm completely baffled by his statement. I guess it means he's successfully reeled me in, though. I start to panic with that thought in mind.

The battle begins by lining up early in the morning to secure a good spot. But the true war begins after that. Few things are as exciting as the fanfare you receive when hitting the jackpot.

Jackpot, fanfare, and a good spot... Not to mention this all takes place by the station. The station isn't huge, but it has all your typical storefronts around it. Coffee shops, diners, the shopping district, and...

Are you... talking about pachinko...?

Hahaha. That is correct.

His laugh is hearty and sincere. The scowl on his face remains, though. It leads me to believe that he's the kind of person whose facial expressions don't quite match up with how they actually feel.

Here. For your correct guess, you win this chocolate.

He produces a bar of chocolate from his bag and hands it to me. I stare at it for a few seconds before turning him down.

Is this your way of making me lower my guard?

Ahh, children these days aren't quite satisfied with chocolate, I see. A shame. Especially when I know one whose eyes light up whenever I give them some.

You must be talking about the girl staying with you.

Hmm? I don't recall any girls staying with me.

Drop the act already.

I try to sound as threatening as I can muster. Letting him lead the conversation any longer is too risky. Especially when I can't gauge his intentions.

My, my. Aren't you a scary one!

I stare him down as he tries to tease me. It's possible that he's trying to rope me in and extract useful information out of me. So I try my best to say as little as possible.

As I said before, I have zero intention of taking part in all of this. I'm happy enough as it is to have been granted some extra time before passing away. I've even been able to return to the pachinko parlor thanks to it. You'll never believe how much my income has increased ever since Divine Selection began.

I refuse to say anything in response to his random conversation.

That being said, could I ask you to leave?

He finally confronts me, possibly after realizing that I will stay quiet if he doesn't.

I'm fine with whatever fate befalls me, but... there's a certain someone whose survival I want to ensure.

It has to be the girl. I already know for sure that they're living together. Which means he's feigning ignorance.

I want us to lead a normal life until that someone finds the will to fight for their own sake. Would it be too much to ask that you hear out what this old, retired man has to say?

You want this person to win, don't you? If so, then yes. It would be too much.

Well, that's hardly surprising. How does this sound, then?

His tone becomes grave, and his expression somehow gets even more tenacious as he speaks.

If you agree to leave now, I won't make any mention of having met you. That means they won't target you.

I get that you're older than me, but you may want to appreciate the fact that you're in no position to look down on me, Ushizuka Shigetsugu.

Getting haughty just because you know my name, are you?

He doesn't falter when confronted with my threat. He opts to provoke me instead.

Hahaha, I'm kidding. As I said twice now, I have no intention to oppose any of you.

His tone returns to normal, although his expression remains unchanged. We've made absolutely no progress. I guess his age and experience means it won't be easy to reel him in.

From what I can tell, you aren't quite like the other participants. You're nothing more than a young girl. It pains me to know that you died so young, but... your best bet is to avoid the other participants if you want to make the most of what little time you've been granted.

...the hell up.

Beg your pardon?

I'm not sure how, but I manage to stop myself from screaming in his face. I've just about had it with him talking to me like I'm some dumb kid.

I'm not doing this for my survival. I'm here for answers. I can't afford to just sit idly by and let this all pass.

Is my life worth casting aside the lives of others for? What is my regret? What awaits myself and Miharu when all is said and done? Is fate really something we can't hope to go against? I can't let myself die until I find the answers to all of those questions. I have no intention of living a quiet life if I'm unable to do so.

Answers, hmm? I'm not quite sure what questions you have, but finding your answers won't be a simple task.

And? Don't act like you don't know me!

Hahaha! Quite the nostalgic statement there. I used to hear it from my family quite often before they all left me.

That lady from the other day mentioned that he's been living alone ever since his family abandoned him. Based on his attitude, I'm hardly surprised someone's said that to him before. He's one of those condescending types who like to act as though they know every little thing about you.

I'll leave for today, but... it doesn't mean I'll stop looking into you. Don't think I'm the only one doing this, either. Everyone's far more desperate to cling to life than you seem to think.

That tenacity of yours is quite admirable. Certainly not what I'd expect from a child, haha.

That attitude is what's pissing me off!

Hahaha... Hmm?

Just as I am about to leave, I hear a set of footsteps stop in front of me. I turn my eyes toward the person to whom they belong.

Who is this? Don't tell me it's another participant... No, of course it is. What is it about today?

The voice belongs to the girl I tailed back to Shigetsugu's house the other day. She's probably returning from a shopping trip, based on the plastic bag she's holding in one hand. Her eyes are big and round, and her silver hair is somewhat disheveled. She seems like your average innocent kid. Not an instant after that, she gives me an icy-cold stare.

Is she targeting you as well?

Right then, I feel like something sharp stabs into my brain. The sudden pain is so bad that my hands clasp onto my head on instinct. I've never experienced a headache this painful before.

Aaaaaggghhh!

This isn't good. I'm not sure about the cause, but the last thing I need in this situation is to leave myself vulnerable. Just as I think that...

Agggghhh! My head! What's going on?!

I'm not the only one experiencing this pain, it seems.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Again about Rinka looking threatening.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Teenage girls are scary :colbert:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

mycelia posted:

Teenage girls are scary :colbert:

For me, it's the red eyes and jacket mainly. I like red eyes, but they're also scary.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

In this particular case I'm pretty sure Shigetsugu isn't being serious about calling her threatening, since the way his VA did the line read was closer to like. how a grandparent would play along with/humor their grandchild. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He wouldn't talk down to Rinka like that if she was some kind of psycho amazon

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

He wouldn't talk down to Rinka like that if she was some kind of psycho amazon

Good thing we have none of them around :v:

On a related note. The story does cite Rinka as looking dangerous or threatening etc sometimes. Which is why I asked.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Feliday Melody posted:

On a related note. The story does cite Rinka as looking dangerous or threatening etc sometimes. Which is why I asked.

It's just because she looks like a delinquent due to the hair, eyes, the jacket wearing style and her expression. Probably also her tone of voice.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's just because she looks like a delinquent due to the hair, eyes, the jacket wearing style and her expression. Probably also her tone of voice.

I'm unabashedly curious what Japanese pronouns she uses when, uh, 'interrogating'.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Quackles posted:

I'm unabashedly curious what Japanese pronouns she uses when, uh, 'interrogating'.

I went back to check since I had a save file near this update, and the term she uses when referring to Shigetsugu seem to be anata (あなた), which according to Wikipedia is an uncommon choice usually reserved for people you know nothing about/do not know (but can be condescending when used to people you DO know who are superior to you) :eng101: When she says his full name, she uses -san, but that's after his remark on her being intimidating (which I did re-confirm, he's basically jokingly saying it in the voice line- he's humoring her.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mix. posted:

I went back to check since I had a save file near this update, and the term she uses when referring to Shigetsugu seem to be anata (あなた), which according to Wikipedia is an uncommon choice usually reserved for people you know nothing about/do not know (but can be condescending when used to people you DO know who are superior to you) :eng101: When she says his full name, she uses -san, but that's after his remark on her being intimidating (which I did re-confirm, he's basically jokingly saying it in the voice line- he's humoring her.)
I mean, they're all uncommon, really. Unless you're an anime character, using pretty much any second-person pronoun is rude and you should just call the person by their name, even if there's nobody else there. (Which a competent translator will still translate as "you", because that sounds bizarre in English.)

So, I don't know how Rinka usually talks, and maybe this is normal for her, but calling him "anata" here does strike me as pretty drat rude. Especially because he's older than her. If she were being polite, she'd call him "Ushizuka-san".

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This is all really interesting and I feel like the translation probably loses a ton of context.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Villain

05/30 (WED), Night
...I just sigh as I take in the unfamiliar room. Mainly because I know the situation I'm in all too well.

Rest assured, I've put nothing dubious in your tea.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Trust me, had I wanted to examine your ID and such, I would have done so already. This is my attempt at being hospitable.

While taken aback, I accept the cup and have a sip. There's not much taste to it. Well, it's to be expected, when the drink is more yellow than green. As for why I'm in Shigetsugu's house, he brought me inside after that headache knocked me for a loop. Both myself and that girl were told to rest until the pain subsided, but she hasn't woken up yet. I notice her fidgeting in her sleep, which leads to my involuntarily gulping down the tea.

O-ho... Rather impressive.

Thank you for helping me, but I've stayed long enough already.

Sure. Just remember that my stance on the matter won't change.

...Yeah, I won't.

He may not see me as his enemy, but there's no denying that we will ultimately have to compete with one another. Not to mention that the girl made no effort to hide her hostility toward me. Sure, I'm curious about the sudden headache that hit us when we met, but it's too dangerous to stay here. I want to be gone before she wakes up. These walls are thin enough that people outside would hear me if I screamed, but there's no guarantee they'd actually try to help.

Nngh... Shigetsugu...

Are you feeling better?

Yeah. Sorry for making you worry...

There's no reason to apologize. Have some tea.

Hehe... Thanks.

I hadn't intended on staring, but I couldn't take my eyes off them. It is a quick exchange, but the two of them really seem like an average grandfather and granddaughter. The warmth in his expression reminds me of how my own grandmother looks at me. I planned to leave as quick as possible, but after witnessing that scene, my feet feel stuck to the floor. Which gives the girl an opportunity to turn her attention to me.

You...

I keep my mouth shut. There's no reason to respond. I'm better off going straight home.

Oh, you're still here? This girl may be a participant, but that's no excuse to glare at her the way you did. She isn't our enemy, after all. Make sure to apologize for your behavior before she leaves.

Right... I was on edge because two others came here this afternoon to scrounge up information on you, Shigetsugu. When I saw you two talking, I thought she might be in cahoots with them. In any case, I do apologize.

This isn't half-hearted. She's even bowing her head. You see scenarios like this often. The granddaughter does something, and then apologizes when her grandfather tells her to. I would honestly believe that these two are family, had I not known they're participants. Even though they look so different. They're not just playing the parts. Everything about their interaction feels authentic. That just makes things harder for me...

Oh, I'm not particularly upset about it. Don't worry...

I can't blame her though, considering my attitude toward him. Of course, it's not like I've decided to let my guard down around them now. My standing by the front door to ensure my escape serves as proof. However, something she said piqued my interest. I have to confirm with her before leaving.

Two others came here earlier, you said. They wouldn't happen to have been a tall man and woman, would they?

How did you know?

I've... been keeping an eye out for them, as well.

Her eyes widen. Shigetsugu, on the other hand, listens without reacting.

I take it you know who I'm referring to.

They came by earlier, so yes.

Beg your pardon?

Oh, I haven't gotten to tell you yet. They're the reason why the house is a mess.

I did notice some disorganization, but I assumed that's how they lived. I don't mean there's trash lying around, but there are a number of newspapers, magazines, and articles of clothing dotting the floor.

You know Numerals III and IX, don't you?

I remember what they look like. Mind explaining what happened?

I've completely lost my chance to leave now.

You should listen to this, as well. But in return, we would like some information.

He motions for me to sit closer, probably because he knows I've lost my chance to go, too.

Those two made their way into the house looking for you. It wasn't long after you'd left, actually.

I was aware that they'd been scouting out the house from when I last came here. They probably have been for several days. Knowing Shigetsugu leaves in the morning, they figured he'd stick to the routine today, as well.

I made sure to chase them off, though. The woman was tough, but the man was no threat.

What? You... chased those two off?!

She's about my height, but she's definitely way younger. And extremely slender. Judging from how she said Numeral XI was tough, I doubt she gave them a simple verbal threat. These are the same two who took Sonya's parents hostage. As if they'd listen to a kid's threat.

They got away, but I did manage to severely wound Numeral III. We should be safe for a few days thanks to that.

...So you resorted to violence again?

I had no choice. It was the only way to keep them out. Besides, they attacked first.

Wait a minute. You fought them? Like... how?

I'm not sure. I just... know how to fight for some reason.

Is that even possible...?

And now I'm suspicious of them again. It's not impossible for her to make this up in an attempt to reel information out of me.

This one suffers from amnesia, you see.

Should you be telling her that?

It's hardly an issue. There's little for you to lose by telling her.

I'm fine with it, but... Whatever. It should be okay.

This child had nowhere to go when Divine Selection began. We started living together not long after our first encounter.

I don't remember a single thing about what happened before Divine Selection. My name, my destination, or even why I became a participant. I don't even know the contents of my own personal cards, so there's no point in trying to uncover my cause of death and regret. Not only did I forget why I'm in Japan, but I didn't even know that I wasn't born here until I met Shigetsugu.

Amnesia. Something we have in common. The only difference is that she's lost all of her memories. I've forgotten bits and pieces prior to and after Divine Selection began, but not enough to affect my life. She, meanwhile, doesn't even know where she is. I can't even begin to imagine...

I met Shigetsugu pretty quick, though, so it's not as bad as you may think.

She follows up with a pleasant smile. I find it hard to believe that someone with a smile like this could fend those two off. I've heard about how one retains their personal habits and skills when suffering from amnesia. The loss of personal memory doesn't influence muscle memory, or something. But that means she had the ability to go toe to toe with those two even before the amnesia.

Right. I'm sure there's more you want to hear, but I do believe it's your turn now.

He turns his attention to me after cutting the conversation short. I guess he did mention some sort of reciprocity of information before. I decide to tell them what I know about those two.

…...

BGM: Intel Investigation Underway

I fully expected participants to resort to extreme measures, but those two truly raise the bar.

I tell them about what they did to Sonya and her parents. Holding a child's parents hostage in order to make them reveal their information. Sheer brute force. However, I make sure not to mention that I have Federico's name card. They never mentioned what cards they have, so fair's fair.

I guess you had little choice but to retaliate, then.

See? I knew what I was doing!

Yes, yes. Here, I'll pat your head as a reward.

Ehehe...

Do keep in mind that you are putting yourself at risk, though. Be more careful next time.

Okay. You don't need to worry, though. I won't lose to anyone.

Her attitude turns out to be far more childlike than her appearance. From my perspective, she's like a kid who gets carried away after being given a little praise. Still, what she said holds weight if she really was able to fight those two off. Her unpredictability is definitely a concern. Sonya, at least, accepted the fact that she was a participant. These two, on the other hand, care only about living out their lives like normal people.

You should understand by now that we truly have no intention of taking part in all this. Please don't get involved with us anymore.

His choice of words makes me think he's somehow read my mind. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but I am stunned either way. Then I realize it. They're not normal at all. Even real families would struggle to act as legit as these two do. Plus, they're both participants. This is insane.

Those two won't give up, though. They'll be back as soon as Numeral III's recovered, or maybe even earlier. Eliminating us is the only way they can survive, so they have to return.

Are you, perhaps, worried about us?

Ugh...

You came here for our information, correct? Why would you bother to worry about us?

I dunno. I just... do, I guess.

That's right. I'm far from normal, myself.

That's not quite the response I expected after all your talk about finding answers.

...You really are annoying, aren't you?

Not that he's wrong. That's why he's been so calm this entire time. He's never seen me as a threat.

Are you making fun of him?

Uh, no. Not quite.

Hoho! No need to worry about that. I see you went shopping earlier. What did you buy?

Oh, that washer thing got broken thanks to those two, so I went out to get something for it. I'm not really sure what it is. The clerk recommended it.

I'll assume you mean the washing machine. What's with the hose?

They said you'd know what to do with it...

Next to her is a washing machine hose. I recognize the logo on the bag. She must have bought it at one of the nearby supermarkets.

I'm not one to fidget with machines, unfortunately...

What were you gonna do if the washer broke, then?

Fortunately, there's a coin-op laundry close by.

Coin-op laundry?

You go there and pay to use their laundry machines.

You said you'd cut down on other expenses for the sake of pachinko! We can't do that!

I really want to say something, but I don't. She might actually believe what he says about it being a battlefield. Shigetsugu, meanwhile, takes the hose before returning his gaze toward me.

You know how to fix this, don't you?

...That figures.

In the back of my mind, I knew I'd end up being asked based on their exchange.

I'll replace the hose, but I'm going home after that.

Thank you very much!

Ugh, gross. How long has it been since this thing was cleaned? Someone get me a pair of plastic gloves. Man... so much for going straight home... Even their drain's a mess... Phew. Mind helping me rinse this?

Oh, okay.

No, no! Not like that! Get the water from the bathroom!

Waugh...!

And thus I faced my fate of getting a torrent of washing machine water to the face.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Well this has been adorable.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

D'aww. Although, all of Rinka's notes about how weird it is that they act so naturally as family has me on edge...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/30 (WED), Evening
Not only do I get drenched, but the water inside the machine is absolutely filthy. I wish I could exchange this memory for one that I'm missing. At least I changed into my school jersey beforehand. My uniform is safe, but I can't say that's enough to make up for the experience. Honestly, this is probably the worst thing I've gone through since Divine Selection started. I've only got myself to blame, though. It never would've happened if I wasn't such a pushover.

Naturally, I'm not too keen on using the bath at Shigetsugu's place, so I head to a nearby public bathhouse.

Yay! This place is huge!

...I can't believe Naomi was right.

Hmm?

Nothing.

This whole time, she was actually a he. I should've known, based on his stride and his outfit, but his outward appearance really and truly made him look like a girl. I guess I've got Miharu to blame for warping my perspective. She carries herself more like a boy, so part of me sees it as normal, despite understanding that she's a rare exception to the norm.

Ugh...

I can only sigh at my own silliness.

Youngsters like you shouldn't be sighing their lives away.

You're to blame for it!

Hoho, how frightening...

They both tagged along with me to the bathhouse. I guess I should be thankful that he's a boy. Now we won't end up alone in here. Making conversation with him would be a challenge by itself, but I can't hide my fear. Plus, something's odd about how we both suddenly got headaches when we came face to face. It has to be related to our memories. Somehow.

Come along.

Okay!

He scurries along behind Shigetsugu. Now that I think about it, Shigetsugu hasn't referred to him by name. Maybe to ensure that I don't get my hands on his name card, but it's possible that he simply doesn't know it. I'm not quite sure how I reached that conclusion. But... it might explain why I find their relationship so abnormal.

Treating someone as family despite not even knowing their name...

Eep. I'll get some weird looks if I mutter stuff like that to myself here. Less thinking, more washing.

BGM: A Time of Healing
Phew...

While this game is, for the most part, completely devoid of content that could be considered actual 'fanservice', there is an illustration here of Rinka relaxing in the open bath. It's not leering or anything (nothing is shown and it doesn't feel exploitative or invasive), but, well, it is still an illustration of a high school girl in a bath regardless, so I'm not going to be including that in the LP. :colbert:

A sigh pours out of me as I soak in the warm water. This time it's a relaxed one, though. I usually just shower at home, so it's been a while since I've gotten to enjoy a bath like this. It's been even longer since I was last at a bathhouse. I was still in elementary school, so I came with my gran.

Gran...

I whisper quietly so that the sound of the faucet will drown it out. I still message and talk to her over the phone, but I haven't seen her at all since March. She's my one and only family. I can't blame her, since she has other relatives, but it's hard not to feel lonely sometimes. Then again, I should be thankful that she's away right now. Otherwise, she'd run the risk of being taken hostage by people like Numeral XI.

...Don't need to worry about Lethe being targeted, at least. Not like it can talk.

The next time I'll be able to see her is over summer vacation. I'll be sure to pay her a visit. Summer vacation... Assuming I don't get eliminated, Divine Selection is scheduled to end around then. So I won't ever get to see her again if I'm eliminated... However, being the sole survivor means I won't be able to see Miharu ever again... Sonya's words come to mind. It's possible to alter fate so it lets us both make it through together. There are still too many unknowns within Divine Selection, but I feel like I know which answer I should be pursuing.

Thinking about Sonya causes my eyes to tear up, but I suck it up and keep them from falling. I need to focus on what I can do right now.

Things didn't go quite as I expected, but I can still make the most of this situation.

That's the conclusion I've come to. My initial plan was to get my hands on Shigetsugu's and that boy's information, but I can leave that alone for now. I'm pretty sure they don't think poorly of me. In that case, it's possible for me to form an alliance with them. Doing so would put me on level ground against the likes of Alan and Numeral XI. However, I'm not convinced that I have it in me to eliminate those two when the time comes. I feel like I'd struggle with it even now. I lack Miharu's determination. Even if Sonya had asked me to eliminate her, I highly doubt I would've been able to.

Let's think about something more pleasant...

Like the fireworks display we all promised to go see, for example. ...Which happens to take place after Divine Selection ends. It's impossible to influence my thoughts away from Divine Selection, so I resort to counting the droplets of water as they fall from my hair.

Is there a reason you waited for me?

Both Shigetsugu and the boy are perched on a sofa by the entrance. The boy has fallen asleep with his back against it, though.

This one was rather adamant, you see. Fell asleep before you finished, though. Hardly surprising with that frame. Must be exhausted after fighting two large foreigners.

You could have just left with him.

Come now. He was giddy about being able to speak with someone around his age. I can only assume he had no friends before, and now he's being avoided by those in our neighborhood.

Are he and I really that close in age?

He's not much smaller than me, but his attitude and facial expressions make him seem years younger. I give the boy another look up and down.

I honestly find it hard to believe that someone like him could make those two retreat.

Which is understandable. But something similar happened before.

I wait for him to follow up, but he offers a smile instead.

I'd like to go on, but boy am I thirsty. Could you get me some coffee milk? I'd hate to wake him up by moving.

...Sure.

I return after grabbing something for the both of us.

Oops. I only brought enough to pay for the bath. Mind if I pay you back later?

...This is intentional, isn't it?

Hohoho! Not at all.

Unimpressed as I am over an old man mooching off someone my age, I'm better off forcing him to keep talking.

It wasn't too long after I'd met him. He had woken up in the middle of the night, so I took him out for a walk. I had to use the restroom while we were out, and fortunately a nearby park had one.

After taking care of business, I returned to find him gone. His curiosity had gotten the better of him, leading him to chase a small animal. As I wandered around looking for him, three young men approached. Not friendly youngsters, either. They were the type to prey on old men. Even I'm aware that I don't look well off, but I doubt they cared. They were satisfied with any target weaker than them.

One punched me before demanding I give them my money. Another stood by, bat in hand.

That's awful...!

However, he came back during that. After processing the situation, he asked me a simple question. He asked, 'Are these people trying to hurt you?'” Part of me regrets saying yes. As soon as I did, he wasted no time in hospitalizing all three.

I am mesmerized as he describes the event in detail. He dodged a bat swing and ripped it from the assailant's hands in one motion, following up with a solid blow to the face. Then he struck the legs of the second one with said bat, before smashing them in the face as well. The one who punched Shigetsugu tried to run, but the boy spun around to build momentum before flinging the bat straight at his head. He finished by knocking the final attacker off his feet, jumping on top of him and strangling him into unconsciousness.

I didn't even have the chance to make him stop.

There's no doubt Shigetsugu would have experienced far worse had the boy not shown up. They would have beaten him, regardless of whether or not he gave them money.

He approached me afterwards and casually suggested we go home. I was gobsmacked, to say the least. But... I wasn't afraid. If anything, I was relieved. I knew I could rely on him not to buckle under the threat of violence.

Do you think his body is programmed to fight like that?

Most likely. He has to be aware of his own size and frailty. I can only imagine what fearsome things lay dormant in his memories. There's simply no way a child could fight like that without proper combat training and experience.

Child soldiers in countries rife with combat come to mind. I'm only aware of what I've seen in the news, but there've been plenty of pictures featuring kids holding weapons and engaging in warfare. Assuming Shigetsugu's right, then he might be from such a place. It would explain his cause of death, too. Being exposed to fire seems like it'd be common.

I truly believe that this child is kindhearted by nature, though. He fights not for himself, but for my sake.

Is that your way of differentiating him from Numerals III and XI?

This is no comparison, especially not against people I don't know. I'm simply saying what I believe.

I can't say I know much about him. And yet, for some reason, I can see where Shigetsugu's coming from.

Well, we should probably mosey along. Would you be so kind as to carry him back for me? I'd hate to wake him up now.

He's doing this on purpose. I know he is.

…..

And just like that, I end up carrying the boy home. We're both a similar size, so I need to stop and catch my breath now and again. One thing I've noticed is that he's more built than you'd expect.

Apologies for making you do this, but my poor back just won't allow it.

Ugh. Can you just... be quiet, please?

Hohoho. How intimidating...

Shigetsugu isn't the most pleasant person to deal with, I've gathered. That aside, this kid must be as young as I think based on how deeply asleep he is.

Mmm... Mom... Why did you... have to die...?

I hear him mumbling in his sleep. His speech differs a fair bit from how he speaks with Shigetsugu, too. I stop dead in my tracks. This might be what I've been looking for.

Is something the matter?

...I had to take a break.

I move his attention away from me with that answer. It doesn't seem like he's notoiced what just happened. I repeat the boy's words in my head as we're walking along. It has to be his regret. I'm going to assume that his amnesia doesn't restrict the content of his dreams. In the same vein, it's no stretch to say that he lost his mother at a young age due to where he was raised. Which means his regret shouldn't be too hard to guess.

I do my best not to think about it any further, though. I'd best save it for when I get home. Shigetsugu might realize that I've obtained Numeral IV's regret card if my book starts to glow here. Ideally, I'd want to avoid making them wary of me. I can feel the sweat running down my brow. Not from my nerves. It's because I'm exerting myself right after a hot bath. I'll have to take a shower once I'm home and done with this.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I assume that after commissioning Miharu in 5 different outfits doing various dances etc. They ran out of art money to have a Rinka carrying someone :v:

I appreciate that they make the most of what they have though haha.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The bedroom's on the second floor. Could you take him up while I put on some tea?

Geez... Fine.

I sigh again from being forced to carry a boy upstairs despite carrying him the whole way home. Today's been nothing but sighs.

Here it is...

The bedroom door is half-open already, so it is easy to find my destination. I approach the futon and lean down to let him off.

Mmm...

He grabs onto my arm.

Gah!

Mmm... Mum...

He must be confusing me with the mom appearing in his dream. His tiredness gets the best of him though, and he lets my arm go right after. The strength of his grip was shocking.

I guess he is a boy, after all.

Even though he still looks like a girl to me. Honestly, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it. Just look at that face. On the flipside, I'd probably be feeling pretty nervous right now if he looked both his age and his gender. He must be around two or so years younger than me, so even if that were the case, I'd probably be fine.

What's that...?

I notice a half-opened drawer out of the corner of my eye. After I make sure that Shigetsugu isn't coming upstairs, I make my way over to it.

BGM: The Memory Remains
Sure, it's a half-open drawer, but it's dark in here. I can't see inside. So... I open it nice and slow. I was worried that the noise accompanying it would wake the boy up, but it didn't. I can still barely see inside even after opening it up, so I light it up with my phone.

Photos...?

The shelf is full of old photos. Easily over one hundred. Upon closer inspection, some are relatively new. The contents are mostly the same. Family pictures. Featured in them are an old couple, their grandson, and his parents. The grandfather has to be Shigetsugu.

Not one to miss any details, are you?

My shoulders stiffen in response to the quiet voice from behind me.

You sure were taking your time, so I came up to call you down for tea. Come.

All I can do is nod without turning around.

…...

Much like this afternoon, he's made tea for me. But unlike then, I take my time drinking it. Too bad that doesn't help make it taste any better.

I'm sorry for looking at those photos without permission.

I'm the one who left it open, so there's no need to apologize. I might as well say that you're free to eliminate me too, while I'm at it.

What...?

There's certainly nothing wrong with an old man like myself getting a few more years out of his life, but truth be told, I'm not concerned about it.

With just that, I understand the meaning behind those photos.

That's... your regret, isn't it?

The family that he held so dear. There were a few pictures of them abroad, as well. He's living alone now, but it's likely that the rest of his family stayed here at some point.

An old man like me has no reason to have hope for the future. That's why I catch myself wishing to go back to those days...

A regret rooted neither in the present nor the future, but the past. Parca said that one's regret represents the future, but that's not always the case. Regret is born from something you can't bring yourself to give up on. In that sense, it's logical that wanting to go back to better times can become one's regret.

You can't go back to the past, though...

Hoho. I'm aware. Being with him has helped me to overcome my loneliness, though. It brings back good memories.

Can you still say that, knowing it won't last?

I believe we see things different. Such a reality doesn't scare me in the slightest.

His tone makes it clear he has no ulterior motive.

My sole concern is whether or not he would be able to live a happy life, should he survive Divine Selection.

I hope you're not expecting an answer from me...

You must have an idea regarding his regret, yes?

His question takes me by surprise.

I've heard him mumble in his sleep a number of times, as well. Those must be the memories that hide deep within his psyche. I noticed your surprise over something as we were walking back.

I figured he hadn't noticed at the time, but he simply chose to keep quiet. This old man really is a mystery.

Both of our regrets are similar. Both are rooted in the past, never to come to fruition.

That's why you're worried about whether or not he can find happiness after this is all over. Don't tell me that's really why you wanted me to carry him...!

Heavens, no. Even I wouldn't do something that cruel. It was pure coincidence.

He laughs it off, but that doesn't quell my suspicion.

What exactly is your goal here?

Nothing's going to come from letting him control the conversation. I'm not sure if he's doing it on purpose or if that's just the kind of person he is, but I'm over it.

Could I ask you to make him some dinner?

...You want to repeat that?

How about this? If you do me this favor just once, I'll tell you my cause of death.

You're missing the point here!

All I want is to help him overcome his regret, even if just a little.

He pauses briefly before explaining.

Cooking isn't my forte, to say the least. I've only been able to provide him with ready-made meals from convenience stores and supermarkets.

Can't you just try and cook him something, then?

Hohoho. My daughter-in-law once said the same thing.

So you did live together at one point, then...

Only for a few years after my son's marriage. My wife passed away some time before then, so both of them came to live with me. They left not long before my grandchild was born, though. I haven't seen much of them since.

There is a tinge of sadness in his voice as he recalls the past. His regret may have come about during the time when they were living here. I've never seen him look so emotional. That's all I needed to confirm that his regret is rooted in those days.

Goodness. We certainly got off topic. What I'm trying to say is that there's no point in it being my cooking.

But tha- Wait a minute...

I finally catch on to why he's so particular about this.

His regret... wouldn't happen to be about his mother's cooking, would it?

Light spills forth from my bag the moment I ask. It has to be in response to my having figured out Number IV's regret. A regret he'll never be able to fulfill. Shigetsugu casts his eyes over to my bag for a moment, likely having understood what just happened, before continuing.

I'm not sure whether he had the opportunity to taste his own mother's cooking or not. But something unexpected happened one day while we were dining out. He was watching the TV there, where one of those everyday shows was airing. One of the characters was the mother of a child around his age.

There was a scene involving them both where the child looked elated while eating his mother's cooking. Quite your run-of-the-mill scene for such shows. But he started to cry as he watched it. He wasn't even sure why, so it must have subconsciously stirred up his forgotten memories. He'd watched TV plenty before that, but this was the first time he'd ever had such a reaction.

Having realized what was going on, my book began to glow, and thus I obtained his card.

So what, I'm supposed to be a surrogate for his mother? Don't you realize how unreasonable that is?

Of course I do. That's why I offered up my cause of death in exchange.

His tone turns far more coercive, likely in an attempt to pressure me into agreeing. The sudden change is surprising, but I hold my ground and stare him down. It isn't an attempt to hide my surprise or fear. I am just really angry with him.

You only have yourself to blame for your regret.

I'm aware of that, too.

His painful acknowledgement is followed by him lowering his head. He lowers it so far that his head almost touches the floor.

I realize now that treating this like a deal won't work. But please, hear me out. It may simply be an attempt to satisfy my own ego. Even so, I'd like you to make something for him.

I need time to think. What's the correct way to respond to this? It's entirely possible that Numeral IV won't be able to fulfill his regret even if he lives through this. Not to mention that there's no way my cooking will help him to do so. What happens after I do all this? Assuming I get Shigetsugu's cause of death and use it to eliminate him, what would happen after that? Is he even thinking that far ahead?

I want to do anything I can for him.

That statement alone tells me that he isn't. At the same time, it tells me just how much he cares. It's the same mindset I had toward Sonya, after all.

...I'll do it.

Really?

On one condition. It's already late, so I'll make dinner for him tomorrow. But after that, I'm cutting all ties with you both. So don't hold it against me if I eliminate either of you down the line. Make sure to tell him this as well.

Understood. As I've said, I have no intention of going after other participants in the first place. But keep in mind that I won't be able to stop him, should he decide to eliminate others.

A brief, tense silence follows his claim. He isn't bluffing. That much I can tell.

That's fine. It pretty much describes the situation as it stands.

I answer without much hesitation. My best option is to lower the chance that I become their target. Granted, I've already settled on agreeing to his proposition before taking that into consideration. His desire hits too close to home for me to refuse.

Perhaps life would have been different had I been able to handle things like this in the past...

He mutters under his breath. He likely intended for me not to hear him.

I'm going home. For real this time. I'll be back around 6 p.m. tomorrow. Don't worry about the shopping, I'll handle it.

Very well. It's about time I wake him up, too.

I watch as he pulls himself up onto his feet.

Is something the matter?

You still owe me for the coffee milk. While we're at it, I want money for tomorrow's shopping, too. You'll get your change back when I arrive.

Stingy youngsters.

It's common courtesy!

I agreed to cook for him, but I certainly won't be preparing a five-star meal. I'm sure that Shigetsugu will wriggle out of paying me back unless I demand it right now, so there you have it. He eventually gives in and hands me three 1000 yen notes. After that, I can finally leave.

…...

BGM: Rinka's Room

I crash down onto my bed as soon as I arrive.

Ahhh, geez!

Been a while since I last screamed into my pillow.

Miharu would be like, 'Are you an idiot?' if she were here...

Without thinking, I talk to myself out loud. Not only did I succeed in gathering info about Shigetsugu, but I also met the boy staying with him. And I somehow agreed to cook that boy dinner. I didn't let myself be influenced this time, though. I agreed to do it of my own volition. Dangerous as it may be to get involved with other participants, there's something far more important to figure out. Do I have what it takes to eliminate them after getting this attached? I need to find my answer to that before I obtain all their cards.

Time for a shower...

Lucky for me, I've already gotten used to putting off the questions I can't answer yet.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
II – Name – Hebinata Miharu
III – Name – Federico Carminati
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IV – Regret – Mother's Home Cooking
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
V – Regret – Back when I was Close with Family
VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko
VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
VIII – Regret – Child's Name
IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Name – Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna
X – Regret – Seeing the World
XII – Name – Alan Scorpion

IV – Cause of Death – Fire

V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
V – Cause of Death – Death from Starvation
V – Regret – Back when I was Close with Family

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: At Amecha Girls' University High School

05/31 (THU), Morning
I go to bed each night confident that I will wake up the next day. It's the one constant in my life, even with the advent of Divine Selection. Well, on days where an election isn't being held, anyway. I drag myself from bed and get ready for school like always. My plans for the evening are already set, so I won't be opening the store today.

I've kept it closed so often lately that I'm starting to run out of excuses for my gran. Granted, she's never too persistent about me opening it up because we either make hardly anything out of it, or we actually lose money. That, plus... she seems to realize that I'm all caught up in something else at the moment. Not to imply that she knows about Divine Selection, of course. She most likely thinks I'm busy with exams or personal issues. My grades are hardly stellar, so it's not surprising that she's concerned.

I notice Naomi as I walk through the gate. She's with a friend, too...

Well, obviously we should at least say hello, Mao outright said we shouldn't neglect our friendship with Naomi. :v:

-Talk to her.
-Leave her be.

I feel bad stepping in when she's with a friend, but I might as well say hello.

Morning, Naomi.

Oh, good morning!

She turns and greets me with a smile. Right after, she introduces me to her friend, informing her that I'm the one who helped with the coffee stuff for the culture festival. Seems like she knows the rumors about me, but hasn't actually realized I am the subject of said rumors until now. She isn't intimidated, though. In fact, she thanks me for my help. Looks like things are going smoothly on that front.

The three of us make our way into the building together and then split up to make our way to class.

…...

BGM: Lion House Cafe

05/31 (THU), Evening
Once I get back home, I have a look at what seasonings I should take with me when I go to cook dinner. I doubt I'll be able to get everything I need with the money Shigetsugu's given me, and buying new stuff would be a waste because I'm only going there once.

I guess curry works. Pretty sure I've got gran's recipe lying around somewhere, too...

Curry used to be a Lion House staple before I took over. I've helped to make it a number of times, but I've never made it from scratch. It should be fine so long as I follow the recipe, though. Curry is pretty timeless, too, so let's go with that. I pack some seasonings, spices, a pot, and a spare container before making my way to Shigetsugu's house.

…...

BGM: Regular Ordinary Girlish Chat

Beef, potatoes, onions, carrots, apples, and yogurt are the main ingredients I need. I head to his house after getting them. While I am on my way, I make sure to keep an eye out for Federico and Numeral XI. I don't notice anyone suspicious. But I think that's due to it being so busy at this time of night. I'm somewhat worried about more odd rumors spreading, considering the neighbors' attitude toward this place, but... I should be fine if it's just this once.

O-ho! I'm pleased to see you actually turned up.

Hey, it's the nice lady! I heard you're gonna make us dinner? Lemme help! I wanna try cooking, too!

The nice lady, huh...

That's one way to shatter the illusion of me being his mother. I carry the bags into the kitchen and then hand Shigetsugu the receipt and his change.

Hmm... Let's leave peeling the potatoes and carrots to you, then.

Okay!

Make sure to wash your hands first.

I put my apron on before washing my own hands. He follows suit, so I hand the potatoes and carrots over to him. Meanwhile, Shigetsugu watches TV in the living room. First up is beef preparation. I dice the meat into cubes and then sprinkle those with salt and pepper. Beef can be a bit chewy, so I cut some extra slits in them to help with that. After that, I grate an apple into a bag alongside yogurt, honey, and the spice mixture from my gran's recipe before combining everything.

Umm...

He looks up at me with a puzzled expression, potato in hand.

What do I do with this?

Oh, right... I guess I need to teach you from scratch. I don't see any peelers, so...

I take the potato and show him how to peel it using a knife.

Wow!

It's nothing impressive. Here, give it a shot. Just be careful, I don't need you cutting yourself.

The knife was surprisingly sharp... Not sure if that goes to show how little I cook or not.

It's hard to believe I'm cooking with the knife that I sharpened, myself...

I don't have it in me to ask why he'd need to sharpen a knife like that for anything other than cooking. Either way, he's able to peel the potato far better than me. Same with the carrots. I decide to leave all the vegetables to him.

M-My eyes sting...

Hahaha. Yeah, that'll happen when you cut onions. Just don't rub your eyes, that'll make it worse!

Hey, you finally smiled!

Huh...?

You were making a scary face before, but right now, you look like you're having fun. I'm glad you're not our enemy!

I suppose I did loosen up the moment I started cooking. I mean, I've been checking every now and then to make sure Shigetsugu isn't rummaging through my stuff, but it's true that I haven't been on edge as I should be.

I've always wanted to know how curry's made, so I've been looking forward to this. All I did was peel and cut vegetables, so now I'm even more curious about the rest!

Guess we'll have to make it extra good, then.

I let another smile slip. I can't help it, though. Seeing his eyes sparkle with curiosity is too precious. Another part of me wishes that we'd met under different circumstances.

…...

Yay! It's done!

Two hours later, it is finally ready. The smell wafting out from the pot reminds me exactly of the curry my gran would cook. I tasted it to make sure it turned out fine, but I'm still nervous because other people are going to eat it, too.

My, my. This looks fantastic!

Sorry for the wait. I take it this will do?

He's over the moon, so it's more than enough. Will you be staying to eat with us?

Obviously. I wouldn't come all this way to cook and then leave.

Come on, come on!

Oops, sorry about that.

Let's see how it tastes!

I get started on mine after they dig in. It's not quite on my gran's level, but this is still plenty delicious. It hasn't been too long since the last time I had an experience like this. Miharu, Sonya, and I ate together often before Sonya was eliminated. Funny how Divine Selection, of all things, is what's blessed me with these experiences. Blessed, huh...? I guess I need to accept that I have been enjoying myself.

This sauce is rather strong, wouldn't you say?

...I refuse to field any complaints.

This is so good! Your cooking's great!

Aw, geez. What a good kid.

Hey, didja know? I cut these by myself!

The carrots and potatoes? Well, you did a fantastic job with them.

Yay!

Are you more of a doting father, or a doting grandfather?

Whatever. I'm glad he likes it, at least. I try not to insert myself into the conversation too much, opting to eat in silence instead.

This certainly brings back memories... Curry was the first meal my son ever helped cook, if I recall... He was so happy as he peeled and cut the vegetables... Why is this coming back to me now, of all times...?

His eyes fixate on the curry as he recalls days long past. Small droplets of water catch on his eyelashes as they form. I'm not sure how or when it happened, but curry's become the go-to household meal in Japan. Just making it tonight brought back memories of time I spent with my gran. So it makes sense for him to be reminded of similar time he's spent with his own family.

A clang resounds throughout the room while I'm caught up in those thoughts. I turn my attention to where it's come from. It's the boy, who has just slapped his spoon down onto his plate.

Is the past really that important?

Neither of us answer his question. His gaze is focused on Shigetsugu. While Shigetsugu was recalling his past, the boy must have understood that he had no place in those memories, despite his fondness for him. Even worse, he has no memories of his own to recall in the first place.

I've forgotten lots of things from my past, but there's one thing I can say for sure. I've probably never had a single nice and happy experience like this before.

Do you-

Ugh! Urrrgh...

All of a sudden, he clutches his head and groans in pain.

A-Are you all right?!

Arghhh!

It's just like the first time we came face to face outside the dream world. I was struck with a headache as well that time, but now... it's just him. Shigetsugu gets him to lay down, an expression of fear on his face.

Are you ok ay?

Ahh... Ughh...

Calm yourself...

I'm not sure if he heard Shigetsugu or not, but he does eventually close his eyes and pass out. I help take him back up to his room.

…...

Once that's done, I finish my curry and wash the dishes. There is plenty left to spare, so I pack it into the spare container I brought and put it in the fridge. All they need to do is heat it up in a pot.

This isn't the first time that's happened.

You mean the sudden headache?

He nods silently before continuing.

He suffers from headaches whenever something triggers his memories. I'm not quite sure if it's a conscious or subconscious thing, though. It's nothing to worry about. He sleeps for a few hours afterwards and is perfectly fine once he wakes up.

It's somewhat odd to be told not to worry about someone who's supposed to be your enemy. But even more odd is the fact that I really am worried.

I should've anticipated this, but seeing him so happy made me forget all about it. Please accept my apologies.

It's okay...

He really did seem to enjoy the experience, though.

I'm aware. I can tell he cares a lot about you, too. I might've seen him more as a little brother if it weren't for Divine Selection.

So you say, but if it weren't for that, we never would have met in the first place. Ho ho. Regardless, allow me to thank you once again. Just seeing him beside himself like that made me happy, as well.

...Sure.

I can feel my eyes strain throughout this exchange. I really shouldn't be thanked by my supposed enemy. The reality of what's going on here is all too clear, though. Yet again, I'm struggling to come to terms with what I need to do in the face of this small happiness felt while spending time with them.

This seems an ideal time to make good on our promise from yesterday.

Yeah, it'd be for the best.

I won't be involved with them anymore. That's the ideal outcome.

Keep the container with the leftovers. I actually enjoyed this a bit more than expected, so don't feel bad about dragging me into it.

Ho ho. Worry not. I never felt bad in the first place. Before you go, allow me to tell you my cause of death.

He switches to a far more grim topic before he even bothers to sit down. I honestly wouldn't have cared if he'd forgotten about this part of the promise. I still don't know if I have it in me to elect him even after learning it. Chances are high that I won't be able to, since I've gotten this attached to them both. So I'd much rather not know at all than face the regret and self-loathing over knowing, yet being unable to elect them. But at the same time, I can't refuse to listen now that he's brought it up.

You're aware of the cases where people are discovered dead in their homes, I presume?

I've seen reports of it on the news every now and again.

I am one such case.

Elderly people living on their own is already a problem in its own right. The risk of them passing away without anyone noticing gets higher if they have no relatives or friends in their neighborhood to check up on them. I expected this to be the case for him after hearing how rumors had spread about him having starved to death and whatnot.

My lower back isn't in peak condition, you see. I'm prone to the sudden onset of pain, sometimes to the point where I'm unable to move at all. That's why I made it a point to buy as much canned food and ready-made meals as possible. The last thing I wanted was one of those episodes to happen while cooking, leading to a fire.

That may have just been an excuse for me to be lazy, but let's set that aside for now. The worst episode ever struck me during a rainy day. It was so bad that I couldn't even crawl. The rest goes without saying. No one can survive without proper sustenance, so it was a matter of days before I starved to death.

My memory is rather fuzzy after the first day, so I can't give you an accurate date as to when I died. Passing away all alone in your home is quite the pathetic way to go, isn't it? It may be fitting for me, though, after I caused my own family to abandon me.

That's not true...

No need for sympathy. I'm sure you've realized how cynical I am by now. I do feel like I've changed somewhat ever since meeting him. Perhaps it's more accurate to say I was able to go back to how I was during the days when I still got along with my family. It's somewhat hard to believe that there was a time we all got along like that... I wish I could have seen them at least once before I died.

Ho, ho. My apologies. Looks like I've become the stereotypical talkative old man. Trust me when I say that this all hasn't been an attempt to make it harder for you to eliminate me.

He's spoken his regret loud and clear. A regret so simple that anyone could understand it. If there's one thing I know for sure at this point, it's that I won't be able to elect him without hesitation.

I'll be taking my leave now.

It has gotten rather late. Do take care.

Thank you.

I don't have much to say regarding his cause of death. There's no doubt my facial expression as he told me was enough to get across how I felt, though. As I approach the entrance, a knock echoes down the hall. Someone's at the door.

Wait... People wouldn't normally come by at this hour. Hope it isn't a debt collector.

He stumbles back and falls flat on his rear right after looking through the peephole. I'm not sure what he's seen, but the knocking grows even more fierce.

You're...!

He hurries back to his feet and reaches for the door once he recalls he has not locked it. I'm shocked his back hasn't given out, but it seems he's faring much better in that regard due to Divine Selection. Much like how Sonya's illness had subsided. Now it's obvious what's going on. It has to be those two. I try to get to the door, but Shigetsugu stops me. Not like it would've mattered either way, since the door has already been opened. They probably noticed it was unlocked before Shigetsugu.

How dare you barge in like this!

Shut up.

It turns out to be none other than Numeral XII – Alan Scorpion.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:ohdear:

This game is pretty good at building up a false sense of security and then pulling the rug out from under you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

I'm not sure how or when it happened, but curry's become the go-to household meal in Japan.
British influence in the imperial era. Don't they teach you this stuff in school, Rinka?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

What an emotional rollercoaster.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Didn't Alan just say he was trying to keep a low profile after his bullshit in the hospital? All Rinka needs to do here is scream and Mr. Scorpion is in big poo poo.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

He grabs Shigetsugu by the collar before closing the door behind him. Their sheer differences in height and build cause Shigetsugu to get lifted right into the air by his shirt. Part of me wishes Numeral IV was down here with us. There was no opportunity to call for him, though. Not to mention that it'd probably be for nothing if all the noise so far hadn't woken him up.

You? Why are you here...?

I could ask you the same question...

...Well, no matter.

He returns his attention to Shigetsugu.

I will deal with you first.

Ugh...

Let him go! You can't just burst into someone's home and do this to them...!

I see you're meddling with others again.

What do you care?!

I can't lie... Right now, I'm terrified. Those frigid eyes alone are enough to instill fear in most people, but add in his build and lack of hesitation to use force like this... I can't run away, though. I won't abandon Shigetsugu. If you asked me why, well... I'm not quite sure.

Besides, there's not much you can do if I scream for help.

Unless I stop you from doing so.

Wait... listen to... what I have to say...

Keep your mouth shut until I give you permission to speak.

I know... your regret...

What...?

Hear me out...

Although hesitant, he eventually releases Shigetsugu. And Shigetsugu lands on his backside again... Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have hurt all that much.

You seem awfully desperate, don't you?

Spare me the attitude. Tell me what you know.

You're aware that Numerals III and XI came here before, aren't you?

What of it?

Worry not. I happen to have quite the reliable bodyguard, so they were unable to learn my own regret. All they have are my name and cause of death.

That's what I need, then. The only information I have on you is your name, so hurry up and tell me the other two.

He takes a threatening step toward Shigetsugu. The height difference between them is staggering. How intimidating, to have someone of his stature look down at you from so close...

Hang on. You may want to reconsider, since I've already gotten my hands on all of his information.

…..

I'm sure you don't need me to explain the risk involved when two people elect the same person.

My name is no secret to you, though. The same likely goes for Numerals III and XI. As much as I appreciate the value of one's name, I take no issue in exposing it for the sake of earning the right to elect him.

That's funny. You happen to know my name as well. What makes you think I'd have an issue with exposing it in return?

Those eyes... They stir feelings within me that I would rather forget.

...Huh?

I can't risk having to reveal two of my own cards, but having my regret exposed to you here would also put me in a difficult position. Perhaps brute force won't get me through this situation.

I can hardly believe that I was able to talk him down. Maybe it's thanks to what he pulled at the hospital with Keiko. There's no way the police wouldn't have eyes on him after that. It makes sense if he's trying to tread carefully.

I'll cut to the chase. Numerals III and XI are my main concerns, yet they've made no moves after yesterday morning. What happened?

I figured that's what you're after.

As I said, I happen to have a skilled bodyguard.

Hmph. That only proves to hint that your own regret sleeps within this place.

I'm not sure how he managed to figure that out based on what Shigetsugu said. Which means I need to really watch what I say from here on out. I might've convinced him for now, but there's no guarantee things will keep going smoothly.

Care to tell me who the so-called bodyguard is? I can't see it being the child you've taken in, to say the least. I doubt you've the money to hire a professional, either. Is Numeral IX complicit? He's the only one yet to show himself.

Who knows.

Then again, you were unsure about who I was. That means you likely haven't encountered Numeral IX.

Just who in the world are you?

That's irrelevant. I have to admit, I'm surprised that a little girl like her could fend those two off...

I start to fret over just how much he can glean from the tiniest bit of information. Still, his statement proves that even he makes mistakes. Hearing him assume the wrong gender, just as I did, serves as a bit of relief.

Ho ho. Apparently, Numeral III got beat up good. So good that he won't be moving for some time. Numeral XI seems to be in cahoots with him, so I doubt she'll go off on her own in the meantime.

Sorry, old man. I don't exactly like to be the predictable type.

Huh?

*wham*

Immediately after hearing that voice, I feel my body get sent flying toward the wall. Lucky for me, it is the wall where one of Shigetsugu's coats is hanging, so it cushions the impact for me. The culprit- Numeral XI. She made her way in and knocked me aside straight away.

Time to party!

*wham*

Were you here the whole time...?!

I just got here!

Her sights are locked on Alan. Surely he holds the upper hand based on physical build alone. Doesn't stop her from kicking at him like a bucking bronco in the narrow hallway, though. I should call for help. I should, but... I can't bring myself to move. I'm not like Alan. The fear I have toward her in the dream world pales in comparison to how I feel now. This is someone who takes pleasure in harming others. It's entirely possible that she'll target me if I make even the slightest move or raise my voice. That terrifies me. I don't even have it in me to try and negotiate with her.

Hmph...

Heh. Guess those muscles ain't just for show.

Alan is no slouch, either. I'm not quite sure how to describe his fighting style. He keeps finding opportunities to strike back after dodging and parying.

*wham*

I can tell how powerful each of her blows are based on the loud smacks heard when Alan blocks each one. Neither is able to score a direct hit on the other. And this long, narrow hallway doesn't allow them to move sideways, so they pressure one another without moving from their initial positions.

I'm here to get the scoop on that geezer's regret.

...As am I.

Oh, then let's hug it out and work together.

I refuse.

Too bad... He must have some real dirt on you, then.

Excuse me?

*wham*

Letting your guard down now, even for a split second, could prove fatal. Even I know that much. But Alan seems to have done just that. She wastes no time in delivering a swift kick to his gut, causing him to back away. This might sound weird, but I'm rooting for him this time. I need him to win, for my own sake. Neither are my ally, but Alan was at least willing to talk. That makes him a safer bet than that woman. And as much as it pains me, I am praying that Numeral IV will come down to save us. That's how powerless I am in this situation.

Alan takes another step back to create more distance between them, which effectively corners him.

You ain't the kinda guy to talk things out under normal circumstances. That's the impression I get, anyway. From what I can tell, the chick over there probably has all the info she needs to eliminate the geezer. Sound about right?

So now you run the risk of electing him at the same time as her, even if you manage to get what you came for. I'd guess that you were in the process of figuring out how to deal with your little pickle.

Hmph... You seem like the type to reach conclusions through situational evidence. That also tells me you haven't been able to gather any information since you and your partner were shooed away by that little girl. Perhaps I overestimated you.

*thwack*

Alan takes this opportunity to deliver a counterattack. He lands a solid hook against her shoulder, which causes her to retreat back to her initial position.

Man. You sure you don't wanna buddy up with me?

I'd only put myself at risk of having to compete with you for the right to elect him, so no. As much as I dislike anyone thinking I'd go out of my way to help these people, having you retreat is my best option now.

She grins from ear to ear. Then I notice that Shigetsugu has managed to slink off during all this. Just as I start to wonder where he's snuck off to, footsteps from the stairway give me my answer.

D-Don't go down there! You should hide!

No way. I can't hide when you're in danger.

The footsteps belong to Numeral IV, who comes running down the stairs. He's likely just woken up, but he doesn't seem tired at all.

D-Different people than before...

You know how to fight, yes? Assist me.

So she's the baddy, and he's the buddy. Is that right?

Shigetsugu reveals himself just long enough to nod in affirmation.

Two against one, huh? Now we're talking.

Numeral XI shows no fear. Just as her words imply, the prospect of this fight has her thrilled.

But just before they can start, the blaring of police sirens pierce the walls of the house. They are getting louder. Closer.

Tch, guess I gotta bounce... Till next time, Alan Scorpion! Or Mister CEO, if you prefer!

So she was aware...

She bursts out of the house immediately after, uninterested in hearing any replies. The sirens continue for a while afterward, so I assume she manages to get away. I'm relieved that at least one problem has resolved itself, but I have to at least admire her ability to react and make snap judgments like she did.

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper

A neighbor must have called the police.

No, that was me. I texted a friend to call them.

Really?

You can explain things to them.

I couldn't bring myself to speak up, let alone move. Numeral IX was wary of me the entire time, but her line of sight was focused on Alan. It gave me enough of a window to message Miharu. I gave her this address and asked her to call the police. It was a gamble, not knowing if she'd actually check her phone, but the cards were in my favor this time.

Why are the police here? Shigetsugu hasn't done anything wrong!

Don't worry. Sometimes they visit people even if they haven't been bad. We should hide so things don't get complicated, though.

Agreed.

We pile into Shigetsugu's room just as the police park in front of the house.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yay, happy bonding time with Alan Scorpion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_Z_BI5cJ8

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, contacting a friend and telling them to call the police then stalling for time. Smart move, Rinka!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Seems like the Odette/Frederico partnership keeps most of its fighting strength even without Frederico.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Federico is mostly there to take the blame, and to be an emergency improvised weapon

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'd like to see Federico not be useless. Give him a gun or some explosives or something.

I actually like him. There's something about his self-awareness that's kind of adorable.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Federico is just upholding the finest traditions of his country by being incompetent! :italy:

(Apulia region represent!)