Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Shishimai Rinka is your average high schooler. The only uncommon thing about her is that she's currently the manager of a small cafe, filling in for her grandmother (who is out of town). However, one day, an explosion on the train home brings her life to a close. However, before she knows it, she's back at her cafe, chatting with her friends as if nothing ever happened. Shaking her memory of her death off as a particularly vivid daydream, Rinka returns to her normal life... until a few days later, she finds herself in a strange realm, with eleven other people like her, being told they must fight each other to earn the right to continue living...

“Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate...”

----------------------

Fatal Twelve is a visual novel originally released in May 2018, developed by a small studio by the name of aiueoKompany. It follows our protagonist as she finds herself in a death game where the participants are all people who died at the same exact moment collectively, with the winner being granted the ability to continue their life as if their death never happened. This VN is the second produced by the studio (the first being a horror VN named Sound of Drop), with the final product having a large soundtrack, gorgeous environments and character art, and even full voice acting! (Note: this LP will not include the voice acting, as it's a screenshot LP, but I'm still going to credit the VAs regardless as they come up :v:)

While the plot for this VN definitely reads like it's just rehashing the plot of the manga/anime Future Diary (and the thread title is even poking fun at that), I did legitimately enjoy this VN back when it first released, and it also reviewed incredibly well, particularly in regards to the quality of the writing, so I think people will enjoy it here, too. There's other things I like about this VN, but talking about them (or confirming anything) would be spoilers! :v:

This LP won't have any choices for the thread to make, as this VN is a lot closer to more standard visual novels with a single “main” route, with four bad endings, two neutral/”good” endings, and one “true” ending, all of which will be shown in this LP. As always, if you've played this VN before, please do not spoil anything in regards to plot details! Going, like, 'I really like X character!' is fine, but because of the nature of the death game itself in-story, please be careful to not give details that we haven't uncovered in the LP itself yet- this even includes character names, in some cases!

Mix. fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Shishimai Rinka: Our protagonist, and Numeral I in the Divine Selection. She runs a small cafe named Lion House; it is owned by her grandmother, who is out of town taking care of a relative. Most of her schoolmates think she is a delinquent due to her appearance, but she doesn't particularly care one way or another. Has a reputation for being aloof and cool, though secretly she cares very deeply for the few friends she has. Has a secret love for shoujo manga.
(VA: Eriko Matsui; other characters she's voiced include Benio Yonomori in Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Misaki Sakurada in Joukamachi no Dandelion, and Nao Kamiya in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games)

Mishima Miharu: One of Rinka's classmates, and Numeral II in the Divine Selection. She has both beauty and brains in spades, though the others in their class find her difficult to approach, leading them to avoid her similar to Rinka. She loves to study, to the point she sometimes loses her self in it and doesn't realize hours have passed. While she's usually level-headed, she sometimes speaks her mind without hesitation, sometimes catching people offguard with her bluntness. Seems to have feelings for Rinka that go beyond mere friendship, though Rinka remains completely clueless about this.
(VA: Yuri Komagata; most of her other roles are unnamed or single episode characters in shows like Kirakira Precure a la Mode, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, or Digimon Appli Monsters, but she also voices Sayako Takayama in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games. She also has performed the theme song for several anime like Crossing Time, Mangirl!, and Kirakira Precure a la Mode)

Parca: A young girl who claims to be a goddess. She oversees the Divine Selection, and her only interaction with the participants is when they enter the strange dream realm. She shows no emotion in regards to the events of the game, and despite her polite, refined air, can have quite the sharp tongue when it comes to enforcing the game. Her reason for holding Divine Selection is unknown...
(VA: Kanako Nomura; most of her other roles are unnamed or single episode characters in shows like Kokoro Connect or Mouretsu Pirates, but she also voices Chizuru Nikaidou in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games)

Federico Carminati: A charming mafioso from Italy who is Numeral III in the Divine Selection. Somewhat happy-go-lucky, he's very proud of his homeland, and is convinced no other country can compete when it comes to their food- a topic he will happily debate whenever the subject arises. Seems to have a combination alliance-slash-rivalry kind of relationship with Numeral XI, though the details of their original meeting are still unclear.
(VA: Koide Hiroshi; this seems to be the only role he's ever been credited for, at least under this name)

Odette Malencon: A domineering woman from France who is Numeral XI in Divine Selection. Blessed with an incredible physique and an attitude that intimidates most who come into contact with her, there's nothing she loves more than getting to use her skills in combat- though she's more perceptive than she lets on. Seems to have a combination alliance-slash-rivalry kind of relationship with Numeral III, though the details of their original meeting are still unclear.
(VA: Okamura Minami; her most notable other role is that of Uematsu Rikako from the VN Raging Loop)

Numeral XII/Alan Scorpion: A stoic, no-nonsense man who makes his intention of eliminating the others apparent from the start of Divine Selection. His motivation is unclear, but it's obvious he will show no mercy in the pursuit of what he wants.
(VA: Maeda Kunihiro; pretty much all of his VA credits are for background characters in anime like Nerawareta Gakuen, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Kyokai no Kanata, and Ixion Saga DT, but he also voiced a supporting character, Larry, in the VN Ayakashi Gohan.)

Hitsuji Naomi: An underclassman of Rinka's who is very shy and introverted, though she's able to overcome her anxiety when she spends time with her friends. Enjoys making sweets and reading books, but her tendency to keep her feelings bottled up leads other classmates to pass work off onto her (including handling their class's culture festival booth). She is not a part of Divine Selection, but because she was present when Rinka died she still has subconscious flashbacks about the event (in the form of nightmares), and as such is very willing to help Rinka gather information whenever she can.
(VA: Asuka Kakumoto; other characters she's voiced include Maiko Serizawa in Isshuukan Friends, Niko Oono in Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, and Elena Shimabara in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games)

Oguma Mao: Rinka's classmate. She's usually the one who pushes the group in one direction or another- and is usually the one leading the charge whenever they go somewhere. Has an almost comical weakness for shopping. Although Rinka does her best to keep Mao from learning about Divine Selection, she's perceptive enough to at least pick up on the fact that something has happened that the others don't want to talk about.
(VA: Megumi Nanase; this seems to be the only role she's ever been credited for, at least under this name.)

Numeral IV/Yu: A strange youth who has amnesia similar to Rinka; although neither can remember it, there seems to be a connection of some kind between them. Their slender frame and long hair makes their gender ambiguous, but beneath their frail appearance lies something unbelieveable.
(VA: Miho Saito; this seems to be the only role they've ever been credited for, at least under this name)

Numeral V/Ushizuka Shigetsugu: An elderly man who appears to be the oldest participant in Divine Selection, his attitude and stubbornness towards the rest of the group makes him hard to read. Seems determined to have as little involvement with Divine Selection as he can manage.
(VA: Murao Shouhei; this seems to be the only role he's ever been credited for, at least under this name)

Numeral VI/Chan Chan: A young woman who, unfortunately, was eliminated immediately at the start of Divine Selection, before any details about her could be learned.
(VA: Miyuma Imaizumi; this seems to be the only role she's ever been credited for, at least under this name)

Numeral VII/Ro Chanho: A well-built man who seems to be from China. His attitude and dress gives the impression that he is a relatively successful businessman.
(VA: Koba Yoshiyuki; most of his other credits include dubbed work from Western TV/movies, a role in the J-Drama Shokubutsu Danshi Veranda, and, if ImdB is telling the truth, he did minor voice acting for the video games Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5)

Numeral VIII/Kamebuchi Keiko: A woman who seems to have a weak constitution, as she is wearing what appears to be hospital attire whenever she shows up to the Divine Selection.
(VA: Morinaka Aoi; ironically, she's actually voiced a character in Future Diary (Naoko Kurusu), which is her most notable role besides a background character in Minami-ke Okaeri)

Numeral IX/Scale Jones: An upbeat man who seems to be from America. While initially content to hang back and observe the events of Divine Selection, upon properly engaging with the group his jovial personality and sense of justice seems almost jarringly out of place amidst the other participants.
(VA: Takeda Naoto; he voiced the character Ryota Kawamura in Yakuza Kiwami 2, as well as doing minor voice acting for some of the other Yakuza games, including Judgement and Lost Judgement. He has also done voice work for Taiko no Tatsujin, as well as some minor roles in a handful of other VNs like Kane no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, How to Fool a Liar King, and How to Sing to Open Your Heart)

Numeral X/Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna: A young girl who stands out among the other participants on account of her age. How could a girl like her be caught up in the Divine Selection?
(VA: 'Rinne'... yeah, I literally could not find anything on her VA whatsoever)

'Man Within the Dream': A strange, androgynous man who appeared in Rinka's dreams. His role in this story is unknown, and Rinka does not seem to remember meeting him.
(VA: Koto Nagatsuka; this seems to be the only role he's ever been credited for, at least under this name.)

Mix. fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 6, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Theme of Destiny

There are a number of terms used to describe a sequence of events that lead to a specific outcome. Some call it life. Others call it a story. One is responsible for much during this sequence such as choices picked, relationships built, and mistakes made. All of that is for the sake of proceeding a long a predetermined path. That is the natural order of a world ruled by the concept of fate.

Fate never strays from its course, regardless of how cruel it may be. My life, and the events in it thus far are simply the product of fate leading me to a certain outcome. That's why I've never once given thought to any missed possibilities found along this path. My life has never been anything worth talking about in the first place. I've never had the luxury of considering the “what ifs”. After all, I've convinced myself, life has no do-overs. Once the story ends, that's it.

My name is Shishimai Rinka. I'm a second year at Amecha Girl's University High School, a rather famous all-girls school in the big city. Unlike my middle school, which was a hodgepodge of top students and those who barely showed up for class, this is the realm of refined, wealthy ladies. A realm I clearly don't belong in. In fact, they wasted no time in labeling me as a delinquent of sorts.

One reason, really the main reason, is the golden streaks in my hair. However, it's my natural hair color, so the school itself has no issue with it. Not like I get hassled for it, either... It's just a bit too “out there” for these sheltered students. The main reason I chose Amecha was because it didn't seem to have many regulations in regards to appearance. It turned out, they just didn't list anything due to its unspoken rules based on being a traditional school.

I was pretty pissed off when I got treated like a delinquent, despite having not broken any rules at the time. Fewer than three months later, I've stopped caring. Much like how I have my own values, the girls here have theirs. I can't understand their viewpoint, so it's only natural they can't understand mine. To tell the truth, I am pretty content with making no effort to look at life from another's point of view.

That is, until a certain event causes a massive change in my life. It all starts on a certain day before Golden Week...

BGM: Silence

05/02 (WED), Evening
Huh. The station clock's not moving... I wonder if it's broken.
Rinka's VA is Eriko Matsui; other characters she's voiced include Benio Yonomori in Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Misaki Sakurada in Joukamachi no Dandelion, and Nao Kamiya in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games.

I relay my observation to Naomi as we pass through the ticket gate.

Oh, you're right... I'm surprised you noticed! It's not often you see something like that happen.
Naomi's VA is Asuka Kakumoto; other characters she's voiced are Maiko Serizawa in Isshuukan Friends, Niko Oono in Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, and Elena Shimabara in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games.

Right? Oh, um, sorry for interrupting you. What were you saying?

Uhh... Well... Ahaha, I seem to have forgotten, too.

BGM: Lion House Cafe

This is Hitsuji Naomi, a first year at Amecha. You might assume that I know her from club activities or something like the student council, but it was coincidence that brought us together. She may be my junior, but I simply see her as a friend because age difference doesn't matter much to me. We're heading back to my place right now, making our way to the station platform to wait for the train.

Waugh!

Watch it.

She yelps as she trips over nothing but air. Fortunately, I snag her hand and keep her from falling on her face. Well, she tugs me forward a bit in the process because she's a bit taller than me, but she manages to regain her balance quick.

S-Sorry again...

No worries.

Th-Thank you so much!

Now you're overreacting.

I'm not sure if it's due to her meek nature or not, but Naomi tends to trip herself up pretty often. She's the kind of girl you look at and suddenly feel an inexplicable urge to protect.

Well, um...

Hmm? What's up?

M-My hand... please...

Oops, I forgot to let go of her hand after catching her.

Oh, sorry. Did I hurt you?

N-No, not at all! It's just... well...

She casts her eyes downward as she answers. Maybe I squeezed a bit too tight without realizing it? I let go with an apologetic expression.

U-Um...! Th-The train's almost here! Let's get going!

She fixes her glasses, which had become askew after tripping, and then points towards the platform with haste. Situations like this typically lead to a replay of the events from just a minute ago-

*thud*

Waugh!

Geez. You're a real handful, you know that?

She bumps right into a passerby the moment she starts to walk towards the platform. Even worse, it causes them both to topple over.

I-I'm so sorry!

Sorry. She's a bit too clumsy for her own good...

I make my way over as they get back to their feet. She bumped into what seems to be a young girl. She's about the same height as me, but her face is definitely younger. Sometimes Naomi gets mistaken for a middle schooler thanks to her big round eyes, but that's not the case with this girl.

…...

U-Um... Are you okay?

I notice how pallid her eyes are when I try to speak to her. Her hair's pure white, but mostly obscured by her hat. She definitely looks young, but... her facial features stand out more than your average person's. Safe to assume that she's a foreigner, then. That means her hair isn't dyed, either.

…...

Unlike Naomi, this girl has fallen backward. Since Naomi bumped into the girl's back, you'd think she would've fallen face first, but she quickly spun around while falling. Not only that, but she also made sure to cradle the bag that was on her back. Based on its size, I'd guess she's here on vacation. Chances are she's carrying something fragile in there, like a camera.

She's by herself, too, so I'm assuming she came here with her family and has somehow gotten lost. What I think is a key on her bag at first is actually just a keychain. She hops back to her feet, bag in hand, her glare drilling into me.

…...

You should apologize, Naomi.

She seems a bit too panicked to get up on her own, so I lend her my hand once again.

I-I'm so sorry about that...! Wait, are you a foreigner? Uhh... what do I say in situations like this? Sah-ree...? Par-dohn...?

The VA for this line says the last two words in English rather than Japanese :eng101:

You should take a deep breath first.

…...

She offers nothing beyond an empty stare as Naomi apologizes and bows her head. She seems like she wants to say something, but for whatever reason, opts not to.

Eventually, she runs off toward the platform without making it clear whether or not she understood our apology. She spins around to face us one more time, but I get the feeling that she's locking eyes with me, not Naomi. It's funny... Thanks to her unique appearance, she still stands out in the crowd. Then again, my hair causes me to stand out as well, so that's probably how she spots me so quickly.

In the end, I'm not able to tell if she finds her parents or if she actually has come here all alone.

Umm, sorry...

Hey now, no point in saying that to me. You did apologize to her, and she didn't seem to be injured, so... I guess it's fine.

That being said, you really gotta pay more attention to your surroundings.

Right! I'll be sure to use severe caution with each and every step I take from now on!

You realize you're gonna trip again if you do that, right? O-Oh... I can't see her anymore.

Is something the matter? Don't tell me he actually did get hurt...

Wait, 'he'? Wasn't that a girl?

Was it? You may be right, considering how pretty she was. Wh-Which means I've been doubly rude...

The sound of an approaching train rises as our conversation falls, much like Naomi. We make our way over to the platform.

Try not to trip stepping in this time, okay?

Okay!

We make our way onto the train bound for Shinjuku, having largely forgotten about the person Naomi bumped into.

BGM: Silence (plus train SFX)

We board the next train at Otsuka station. My place isn't far from there. We first have to get off at Shinjuku station before taking the metro for two more stations. The only issue is that we're making this journey at 5 p.m.- pretty much rush hour- so the trains are packed. Naomi and I get practically glued together on our journey to Shinjuku.

S-Sorry... It's my fault that we got caught in all the foot traffic...

Don't worry about it. I'm used to this, so it's no big deal.

S-Sorry again...

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper

Huh? Isn't that...?

I spy a familiar bag from amongst the crowd. Well, the bag itself is standard, so it's actually the keychain that catches my eye. Yup. It's the kid from earlier. Standing right in the middle of the passenger car, bag hugged tight against their chest. They're not tall enough to reach the overhead straps, but I doubt they'll fall over thanks to how crammed it is.

Didn't expect them to be in the same car.

Hmm? Did something happen?

Oh, wait... Their bag's open.

The strap has probably unfastened a bit due to people rubbing against it on the train. I'm just worried because the kid doesn't seem to have noticed. The other passengers probably don't care enough to notice, either. Some are reading the newspaper, others are killing time by checking out all the ads, but most are on their phones. I doubt I would've noticed if Naomi hadn't bumped into them.

And that's why I am the only one to see what they are doing...

With a deadly serious expression, almost as if they are being squashed by incredible pressure...

What's that...?

BGM: WARNING

Something black is peeking out of the bag. It looks mechanical, but different from a camera or laptop. For whatever reason, my mind leaps to a conclusion that I've only read in fiction...

It's a bo-

Before I can finish, it happens.

A flash emits out of the bag.

A bo?

Naomi!

*BOOM*

The detonation is almost instantaneous. A wave of heat propels throughout the train car, enough to feel like my skin is being seared off. A sharp, explosive roar comes right after, puncturing my eardrums. I duck in front of Naomi to protect her and then push her away. I feel my body being pushed by the explosive shockwave, too.

And in that moment, my body is burned beyond repair within the flames.

BGM: Sinking in Flames

However, my consciousness remains intact...

-ka!

I hear a voice.

I don't feel anything anymore.

Vivid memories pulse through me- the shockwave, the pain, the heat searing through my body... And yet, I no longer feel any of it.

-ka!

My consciousness begins to fade. Or maybe I've already lost it. This is but a remnant of it before it fades away completely.

The final, fleeting moments of a consciousness drowned in a sea of fire.

Rinka! Rinka!

My sight gradually fades, too. No doubt my consciousness will be spirited away, like a leaf in a gust of wind.

If nothing else, being able to hear that voice puts me at ease.

There's no arguing that fate has decided to end my life here and now.

[Fatal Twelve Opening Movie]

…

Familiar Voice A: Rinny! Earth to Rinny! Rinka, you there?

Familiar Voice B: Rinka?

I hear two voices calling out to me. I know who they belong to without even seeing their faces.

Familiar Voice A: Wake up, dammit!

Ouch...

A sharp pain rushes through my forehead, causing me to finally lift my face off my arms. No doubt this'll sting for a while.

What happened to the fire?

Fire? Were you dreaming? Sounds weird...

Dream...? So... I was asleep?

J-Just a little...

No need to be so polite about it, Naorin.

A-Ahaha...

Mix. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 4, 2021

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Oh hey, I was thinking about checking this out. Thanks for starting an LP!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The one responsible for waking me up is Oguma Mao, a classmate. As usual, she's got her wildly colored hair tied up nice and neat into pigtails. Beside her is Naomi, and seeing how they are still in their uniforms, I guess we just got back from school.

We're at Lion House, a cafe run by my grandmother. The first floor serves as the cafe, while the second floor serves as her home. Since I'm living with her, my room's also on the second floor. Although it's probably more accurate to say I'm living on my own right now, considering she's gone off to the countryside to help nurse an ailing relative.

You still half-asleep there, Rinny? Allow the absolute legend to wake you, then.
Mao's VA is listed as Megumi Nanase, but I couldn't find any other roles she'd been credited for under this name.

She clicks her mechanical pencil and presses it against my cheek before scribbling all over me.

Ouch! I'm awake, I'm awake! Keep the lead away!

Mao, you're a monster...

Naomi is visibly disturbed by how much Mao seemse to have enjoyed doing that. Well, it certainly has helped to wake me up. A lingering issue, however, is that I can't remember why we're here.

Sorry, but... um, what are we doing here again?

Oh, my. Did the pencil technique fail to wake you up?

I think my memory's kinda fuzzy thanks to that dream.

I can't remember what I even dreamt about. I mentioned a fire when I woke up, but I don't recall being involved in one. The fact that I can't remember is starting to annoy me.

Wooow. Weirdo.

Naomi interjects after I fire a glare at Mao.

Well, it turns out our class is opening a cafe for the culture festival next month. I was appointed as head of the committee for it.

She's making no attempt to hide the fact that she's been forced into it. Granted, she's probably the most fit for the job, considering how serious and thorough she is when it comes to this stuff.

I heard about your family running this place, so when I asked, you said it was fine for me to tag along...

Her explanation helps me grasp the situation.

Oh, that's right. I told you to come over so we could chill and hash things out.

The store's only open for the regulars right now, since my grandmother's away. Sometimes we get a first-timer or two, but I've only got simple stuff on the menu for now, so I can handle things on my own. It doesn't get really busy, so there's no issue in inviting her along.

As my gran always says, 'Lion House is everyone's second home', so there ya have it.

Yep, there ya have it. I hoped I'd hear that today.

I understand what she means... This is the first time I've been here, but I feel so welcome.

Just make sure you don't feel too at home and fall asleep.

Oh, shut it! Mind explaining what you're doing here, then?

...Uh, I was bored?

Uh-huh. Figures.

What does your class plan on doing?

Uh... Can't remember if it was a haunted house or a fortune teller.

Basically, we haven't decided.

Really?! Shouldn't you have some idea by now...?

Eh, things'll work out one way or another. I hate to say this when you're working so hard, but we don't really care about how it goes. Me and Rinny ain't the most popular gals in class, after all. The committee's making sure we don't get too involved.

Yup, although that's not the only reason I'm helping you. Just keep in mind that I'll be busy here sometimes.

Oh... Okay, thank you.

She nods, struggling to hide her concern. After hearing that, she probably thinks we're being bullied. We're used to how we're treated, though. It's not like they're going out of their way to ignore us. They'd just rather ignore us whenever possible.

It's funny, though. Mao still gets along with plenty of the girls, and I'm pretty sure no one outright dislikes me. It might be more accurate to say they try not to get too involved in our lives. They understand that we're different, so it creates a rift between us. Speaking of different, we're not the only two. Mishima Miharu- who's probably at work right now- is our comrade in that regard.

Hey, I'd like an iced latte.

We don't serve lattes. We have cafe au lait, though.

That'll do!

You realize you're not getting it for free, right?

Never mind. Water.

Ahh... Fine, it's on the house. Just this once. How about you, Naomi?

A-Are you sure?

C'mon, Naorin, this is Cheapskate Captain Rinka we're talking about. Better take her up on this rarest of offers.

W-Well, may I have a black coffee, please?

Sure. Comin' right up.

I make my way to the kitchen, wash my hands, and don my apron. You're a pro the moment you enter the kitchen- that's what my grandmother always tells me, and I believe it. I may be making these for friends, but that's no excuse to do it half-hearted.

Anyone who orders a black coffee gets a nice serving of full city Guatemalan beans. Full city is a roasting method used to reduce the acidic tones of the beans and make them more bitter. Beans from Guatemala are typically more acidic than others, so this kind of full roast is the perfect way to balance their acidity and bitterness.

I prepare the siphon before placing the flask on an alcohol lamp. The key here is making sure the flame's positioned just a touch to the side of the middle of the flask. Once it starts boiling, I shake it gently, and then wait for the beans to fall. Once they're all in the flask, it's just a matter of letting them sit until they become fragrant.

Here you go, Naomi.

Oh, wow! What a nice scent. I can smell it from here.

Hehe, thanks.

Naomi's comment makes me happy, but I've still got a long way to go. My grandmother knows how to apply different brewing methods based on the bean type, for example. All I'm doing now is applying her instructions to make things easier for me. There's still plenty to learn.

All right, next up is Mao's iced latte. You make this by preparing coffee first, and then adding plenty of ice into a glass before topping it off with some milk. This way, you get to see the coffee's black and the milk's white mix together in the glass. Once that's done, I jam a straw in it and walk it over to Mao with some syrup.

Here you go. Tell me if you need more syrup.

Thanks bunches.

I make myself some coffee after that, take off my apron, wash my hands, and return to my seat.

This is so much better than what I make at home... You're incredible, Rinka!

This is a cafe, after all. But my gran is the incredible one, not me.

Speaking of which, does no one else work here?

Mao dumps half of the syrup into the cup before even giving it a taste, and then pours in the remaining half. Hearing the ice clink as she stirs it is nice and satisfying.

Well, I mean, it's a pretty small place. My gran handled the place on her own before leaving, so we don't need anyone else.

She's taking care of a relative, right?

Yup. She planned on closing the store temporarily, but I convinced her to let me keep it open whenever I'm not at school. Figured I'd be able to make coffee no problem, but it turned out to be way more difficult than I imagined. Even after a month of trying, she hadn't given me her seal of approval...

I knew we'd have to close the store at that rate, so I really went for it and managed to barely get approval right before she left.

How long have you been running it for now?

Hmm... She left near the end of March, so... about a month?

I take a sip of my own coffee after answering. Definitely smells and tastes a lot better than when I first tried to make some. I'm used to drinking her coffee, so the fact that I can answer with pride means I'm definitely getting there. Granted, I'm still a long ways from her level.

It'd be nice if we could make coffee as good as this for the culture festival, but I doubt it'd be easy, based on what you said...

Would they even be able to tell the difference? I can see most of the students dumping in milk to counter the bitterness, just like me.

I wouldn't be surprised, but that's not a problem! Plenty of parents and teachers will be there, so I'm sure they'd be pleased. I can only imagine how long it would take me to learn, considering you spent a whole month training under your grandmother... Not to mention the other people who'd be in charge of making it during the day, too.

Yeah, I doubt it'd be possible. The equipment doesn't come cheap, either.

Talk about relentless!

I figured as much... We're probably best off relying on instant coffee.

Whoa, whoa. All I said was that you wouldn't be able to make the same coffee as we brew here.

Huh...?

I can set you up with our bean supplier, so you can get those on the cheap. The equipment itself shouldn't exceed your budget, either. But, making it...? I'll ask my gran if there's a nice and simple method for you. I doubt you'll be able to make it taste the same way as here, but it should be good enough for the customers. Can't say I'm totally confident, but I'll teach you what I can. After that, it's on you.

I notice Mao grinning as I finish my spiel. She probably expected me to say that. Naomi is obviously taken aback, but she quickly starts to nod and then responds.

I feel bad for relying on you this much, though...

If you're willing to put the effort in, then I don't mind. Besides, being able to teach you whatever my gran comes up with should help me, too.

No worries, Naorin. People often get the wrong idea thanks to how she looks, but Rinny loves to stick her neck out for others. Especially friends and family.

No, I don't! Anyway... you game, Naomi?

There's a hint of concern in her expression, but she gives a conclusive response.

If you're willing, then... I'd love your help.

Sold. I'll call you after my gran gets back to me, then.

Thank you!

Guess I'll pop in every now and then when I'm bored.

Don't forget that you're paying next time.

...Cheapskate.

It's called business...

With that out of the way, we spend the rest of our time together chatting. I have to help a few customers, but they don't mind me talking with Mao and Naomi so long as I get their orders out in a timely manner. In fact, some even join in the conversation. Not just because they're regulars, but because I've known plenty of them since I was a kid. They kind of feel like relatives, in a sense. Lion House has always had that homey feel to it. Both me and my grandmother consider it our second home. That's why I hope it stays that way once she gets back.

Both Mao and Naomi leave just before 7 p.m.

05/02 (WED), Night
I head up to my room on the second floor after closing and cleaning up the shop. I gotta be honest, I'm pretty excited about helping Naomi. I enjoy making coffee as it is, so it'll be nice if other people end up feeling the same. Knowing Naomi, she'll probably pick up on it easily enough... Although her clumsiness is a concern.

That aside, what was that dream earlier all about? I felt okay once I started talking with Mao and Naomi, but I can't shake the weird feeling from when I woke up. I've never felt like that before. I can't even say for sure if I was actually... dreami-?

Huh? What's that...?

In the middle of telling myself to forget about it and try to sleep, I notice a thick book on top of my desk. It's an auburn color, with some gold leaf decorations on it... I assume these are gears. Seems like the kind of book my grandmother would like, but I don't remember putting it here.

There aren't a lot of choices in Fatal Twelve, but all of the ones we get are vitally important when it comes to getting (or avoiding) endings :v: From the start of the game, every choice up to a certain point requires you to make the right choice (each time), or immediately get locked into the first Bad Ending. We'll be seeing every ending in this LP, but for these choices I'll always be choosing the 'right' option for now; I'll cover what the 'wrong' options entail in a later update, when it becomes relevant.

-Let's have a look.
-Better not mess with it.

I take care when cracking it open, trying not to get it dirty.

What the...?

There are no pages inside, rather, there's a rectangular gap in the middle. I close the book immediately, having more questions now than when I spied it. Might as well message gran about it tomorrow, considering it's already this late.

My phone vibrates after I turn the lights off and hop into bed. It's a message from Naomi.

Let's see, 'Thank you for offering to help. I'm looking forward to this!' She's a sincere girl, isn't she?

I send a quick emoji in response, and then place my phone beside my pillow without checking to see if she reads it or not.

…

…

…

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

05/02 (WED), Midnight
Huh...?

I'm pretty sure I've fallen asleep, but I feel conscious. Except... I can't move my body, or even speak. Is this sleep paralysis? Or maybe it's a lucid dream.

???: Hey.

I hear a man's voice, but I don't know to whom it belongs. A figure appears soon after, but I can't make it out all that well. It's someone slender, with a vaguely androgynous face. I can't respond, so I wait for him to continue.

I see fate has led your life to its conclusion. Hahaha. No need to get depressed, though. You've been given the rare chance to live again over the next twelve weeks. Surprising, huh? Yeah, tell me about it.
The VA for this mysterious figure is listed as Koto Nagatsuka; again, couldn't find any other roles he's been credited for under this name.

Don't get the wrong idea. There's nothing uniquely special about you; it's all down to the fate you carry.

He spouts this nonsense at me in a calm, almost rehearsed fashion.

Who am I, you ask? Also nobody special. I'm just the one who watches you from above. Under normal circumstances, I'd never meet with anyone personally, but fate has deemed that your dreams will connect you to here. Anyway, I had planned on more introductions, but I think that's enough for now.

But before the curtains rise on this play, let's kick start your memory a bit.

The man disappears as soon as he stops talking, and my consciousness fades away once more.

BGM: Sinking in Flames

Flames envelop me. Flames powerful enough to flake the skin from my bones. Flames that produce enough smoke to smother my lungs. My life turns to ash. My inability to move even my fingers tells me as much.

???: ____

???: ____!

???: _____! _____!

I hear someone shouting. Whoever it is keeps shouting, over and over... Their calls are eventually drowned out by the roaring flames that continue to spread. By the time the voice has been entirely drowned out, my consciousness has extinguished.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like comparing this to future diary is a disservice in that this has characters and that largely did not. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

05/03 (THU), Morning
Aaaaahhhh!

I wake up from my uncontrollable scream. What an awful nightmare... I was engulfed by flames and died.

Hahh... Hahh...

I'm drenched in sweat; my breathing's beyond ragged. Even worse, I notice a strange black blob on my stomach, all the while wondering why I even had such a dream.

Oh, it's just you...

Meow.

This is our cat, Lethe. I'm still not sure if my gran got it, or if it was originally a stray, but it's made Lion House its home. It's been here as long as I can remember, but it's still pretty lively despite its age. Maybe I was struggling to breathe because it's lying on my stomach. Is that why I dreamt what I did?

It jumps from the bed and skitters off when it realizes I'm about to get up.

Must be nice to do whatever you want.

They say cats are free spirits, and Lethe's a perfect example. I dunno where it usually goes to hang out, but it doesn't cause any trouble here, and it knows where to do its business. My gran always said that trying to keep a cat caged is about as pointless as trying to catch clouds. In other words, she's had her fair share of trouble with it, as well.

Mmm...

I have myself a good stretch before I get ready to open the store. Today's a holiday, so it needs to be open nice and early.

…

Just as I think I can relax a bit after the morning customers have left, the bell on the door chimes.

Welco- Oh, hey Miharu.

BGM: Miharu

Good morning, Rinka.
Miharu's VA is Yuri Komagata; most of her other roles are unnamed or single episode characters in stuff like Kirakira Precure a la Mode, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, or Digimon Appli Monsters, but she also voices Sayako Takayama in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games. She also has performed the theme song for several anime like Crossing Time, Mangirl!, and Kirakira Precure a la Mode :eng101:

In trots a tall and stylish girl with matching looks. The sun reflects off her long, silky hair- enough to make it seem like she's generating her own light with each and every step. That's Mishima Miharu, for you. She's a classmate of mine and part of our “to be avoided” group. But in her case, it's more because she's practically perfect in every regard, so people find it hard to approach her.

Are you off work today?

Nah. My shift starts soon.

Ah, I should've figured, considering she's wearing her school uniform. She normally wears her own clothes when we're out in public, but I guess she can't be bothered to pick something out to wear for work. Helps her to avoid getting hit on by guys on the way home, too. Not sure how that works, exactly, but hey.

Thing is, she works way out in Akihabara. This is by Shinjuku- pretty much the opposite side of town- so why'd she go out of her way to come here? Does she need something?

Just popping by to see your face. We didn't get to talk much yesterday, and since we're off for the next few days, I wanted to talk to you before vacation stuff.

R-Right... Thanks.

I have to admit, there are certain facets of Miharu that I just don't get. I'm pretty confident she has some other business out here, yet here she is teasing me. It's hard to find the right response sometimes.

Anywho, I'd hate to distract the other customers, so I should be on my way. Time really slipped by as I waited for the opportunity to be with you alone.

Why wait? It's all regulars here, so they wouldn't have cared.

The weather's so pleasant today. I kinda enjoyed taking in all the greenery, so.

Okay. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

There's a park across from here that's famous all over the country. Apparently it was an old samurai's garden that became a park after being used as a zone for experimental agriculture projects. Not only does it have alls orts of flowers from here, England, and France, but there's also plenty of tourists who come by to see it.

Unfortunately, we're a bit out of the way to draw them in as customers, but a couple of foreigners do find us and stop by every now and again. We have a good view of it from here, although I don't think it's the kind of thing you can enjoy for long. Miharu has some peculiar tastes though, so who knows? Maybe she can.

Well, my apologies for intruding. Do be sure to get some rest, will you?

Sure thing. Good luck with work, yourself.

Oh, before I go... You haven't forgotten our promise to go to Stardust Kingdom on the 5th, have you? Be sure to tell everyone that the cafe will be closed that day.

Come on, as if I'd forget.

Stardust Kingdom's a famous theme park out in the Chiba prefecture. We've made plans to go there at the end of Golden Week, fully aware that it'd be at its busiest.

Heh. Just making sure, considering your past record. Anyway, see you then.

Yeah, bye- Er, see you later.

Miharu leaves with a smile on her face. I had to stop myself from saying “bye” because Miharu isn't fond of people saying that whenever they part ways. I get where she's coming from; it sounds like what you'd say for a long-term parting, but I think she's going a little overboard. Either way, I try to keep myself from using it when I can.

Just as I'm planning to brew some coffee for myself, someone else makes their way through the door.

Welco- Oh, Naomi.

In comes another friend. Can't say I'm surprised by her cute outfit choice.

Oh... Good morning.

Morning. Come on in.

The fact that she didn't mention Miharu must mean they didn't cross paths. Naomi seems a little down, though. Not only that, but I can tell she had second thoughts about coming inside. Either because there weren't any other customers, or because she's conscious of the fact that I'm trying to run a business.

What's up?

I still haven't asked my gran about an easy way for beginners to make some relatively good coffee, so hopefully she hasn't come to ask about that. I have the option of teaching her myself, but... I'd rather not do that with my own relative lack of knowledge.

Yesterday, um, I think I might've left something here...

A book, by any chance? A thick, expensive-looking one with golden gears on the back and front?

No... I'm fairly certain I didn't leave a book here.

Ahh... Figures.

Not sure why I asked when she never set foot in my room, so obviously she wouldn't have left anything there. Turns out it is her pencil case. She could've just sent me a message about it last night, but apparently she only noticed it was gone this morning. She lives here in the Shinjuku area, so she decided to take a walk and drop by to pick it up.

Oh, my mom just messaged me... Guess I left it on the kitchen table. Sorry about this...

Well, that settles that. It's so Naomi to do something like this, though.

Since you mentioned it, what kind of book were you talking about earlier?

She jumps back to a topic I'm not expecting.

Oh? Did I pique your interest?

You certainly did! I'm curious because you said it seems expensive.

Makes sense, considering you're into books. Gimme a sec and I'll bring it down.

Not like I have any customers right now, and the street's fairly empty. I make my way up the stairs to get it.

Here you go.

An auburn cover with gold leaf decorations. I can tell Naomi's impressed, judging by the hushed noises she's making while examining the cover.

This trumps what I had imagined. It seems really old, but it doesn't have the smell that other old books do. Um, do you mind if I open it?

Go ahead, but it's pretty weird.

How so?

Her inquisitive look shifts to a confused expression upon opening it. Can't blame her. There aren't any real pages- just a big rectangular hole in the middle.

You're right, this is weird. It reminds me of those old magical card books that were popular back in the day.

Card books?

Did you ever watch that one show where a girl would transform using cards and fight things?

Hmm... Maybe I did, maybe I didn't...

The book is just a glorified box for you to store the cards in, so... Wait a minute! Aren't these cards at the bottom? I didn't notice at first because they're so thin, but...

Oh, you're right. They share the same pattern as the cover, so I never noticed.

Can I take them out?

Hmm... we probably shouldn't mess with it anymore. It might be my gran's. Lemme ask her about it first.

It's no regular book, at least. I'd feel bad if we uncover something she's been wanting to keep secret. That's why it's best to ask before we pry any further. Naomi's hands fly off the book almost immediately after I say that.

S-S-Sorry! I always get so carried away when it comes to books... I shouldn't have been fiddling with it so much...

Don't worry about it. I'm the one who brought it down.

You could tell she was entranced by it. I guess a book like this would fascinate anyone who's as into books as her.

Okay, I should probably put it back upstairs.

As soon as those words fall out of my mouth, someone new walks through the door. An actual customer. Not one of the regulars, though... A woman with a suitcase; likely a tourist from abroad.

She ends up asking where her hotel is, which is apparently closer to Shinjuku. I end up telling her that she's come a bit too far out. Apparently, she's come to Japan alone to tour all the famous temples, but is in a bit of a pinch since she can't understand the language. Once I tell her where to go, she thanks me and goes on her way. She doesn't order anything, but she is kind enough that I can forgive her.

Wow! I had no idea you were that good at English!

Naomi can't contain her excitement after the woman leaves.

What do you mean? I'm awful at it.

Are you... trying to be humble? You were speaking fluent English to that lady.

Huh...?

Now I'm the one who's surprised. We were speaking English...? It felt as natural as any other conversation to me... Then again, she did mention that she didn't understand Japanese... There's no way she'd say that if we had such a fluent conversation.

What's going on here?

I-I hope you don't expect an answer from me...

After putting the book upstairs, I return with one of my English textbooks.

Throw some questions at me.

Okay. How about basic vocab? Let's see...

She throws some questions at me like I ask, and lo and behold, I can barely answer them.

See? Bad doesn't begin to describe my English skills.

I understand that, but... now I'm concerned for a different reason.

She tries to be as polite as possible when pointing out my inadequacy. Funnily enough, she didn't even have to look back to the textbook for the last few questions. It's worth noting that, while studying isn't exactly my forte, English is a subject I struggle with more than others.

That makes the fact you were talking with her all the more strange, then...

It felt like I was having a regular conversation, so if anything, I'm more dubious about whether or not Naomi's right. I doubt anything'll come from thinking it over for now, so I'll pay more attention the next time a foreigner comes along.

W-Well, now that I'm here, could I order a coffee, please? N-Not for free, of course!

I don't mind, but...

Don't worry! I meant it when I said I really like the coffee you make!

The smile on her face is almost blinding as she speaks. I can feel my cheeks warming to a bright red. It's hard to describe the happiness those words instill me with. It might actually be the first time anyone's said that to me, considering I mainly serve regulars. They typically compare me to my gran, which isn't all bad, but they've never praised me as an individual. That's why I can't help but be taken aback by what she's said. Enough so that I struggle to give her a proper response, let alone thank her for it.

I make some coffee for her, and she sips on it while reading a book. As she does that, I either handle orders for customers or clear up the tableware. Once an hour has passed, Naomi gets her things together and comes over to the register. I feel bad taking money from a junior, but she seems satisfied enough.

Oh yeah, you got any plans for the last day of Golden Week? Sunday, I mean.

Umm... No, I don't. Why?

Me, Mao, and Miharu plan on going to Stardust Kingdom, but we'd rather have an even number so no one ends up on a ride alone. Wanna come?

Stardust Kingdom... I'd love to go!

Good. I'll tell the others, and we'll get a group chat set up for it.

Actually... will Miharu be okay with this?

Huh? Do you two not get along? Well, no need to worry about that. So long as you're up for it and your purse permits it, you're welcome to come.

O-Okay... If you say so.

I'm not quite sure why she's acting so reserved in regards to Miharu, but at least she's willing to join us. I get back to work after seeing her off.

BGM: Rinka's Room

05/03 (THU), Night
The first thing I do once I return to my room at the end of the day is message my gran. Seems like she's willing to think up a recipe for us. The book doesn't ring any bells for her, though. Seems like there are several books here with similar bindings, but they're just plain ol' books. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about them, but that isn't enough to make me want to search through my gran's room.

Now I need to figure out what to do with this one.

I think it's pretty obvious which of these is the wrong choice. :v:

-Might as well sell it.
-Let's take a look inside.

Actually, Naomi did mention that there are some cards inside. Might as well have a look.

I flip the book over, dropping the cards out. Four in total. All have a pattern similar to the book's cover. Turning them over to their fronts, I notice something written on their white background. The writing itself is in English, but I can read it perfectly fine for some reason.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka

III – Name – Federico Carminati

IV – Cause of Death – Fire

IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Why's my name written here?

I can't help but ask out loud. I'm not too sure what the other cards are about, but it's easy to imagine that it's nothing good when a cause of death and regrets are mentioned. There's probably a whole bunch of them, considering the numbers. Enough to fill up the entire hole in the book, I'd guess. When did all the other cards disappear, though? More importantly, why was this book on my desk in the first place? I scour the Internet as well, but nothing relevant comes up.

Whatever the case, these cards have personal information on them. Doubt it's someone who just so happens to have the same name as me, either.

Selling the book isn't an option now. I put the cards back inside before placing the book on my bookshelf. It's probably worth showing Naomi whenever she's here next. Two pairs of eyes are better than one, after all.

I should message Mao, actually.

I whip my phone out and send her a message about Naomi joining us for Stardust Kingdom, to which she replies almost immediately.

Really? Like, really really? Geez... Don't get me wrong, I wanna go with Naorin, but... Eh, whatever. Lemme tell Miharun about it.

While a bit odd for a response, she has said that there's no issue with Naomi joining us. She emphasizes that I shouldn't get in touch with Miharu, though. While a bit suspicious, Mao's usually the one who gets stuff sorted out, so I don't pay it much mind. I'd rather think about the fun theme park experience waiting for us in a few days.

The store will be open tomorrow, as per usual, so I make my way to bed nice and early.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Amusement Park (Day)

05/06 (SUN), Morning
One hour after the park opens, we finally pass through the hellish queue to get in. We came an hour early, but it turns out others came even earlier than that... Well, at least we didn't have to wait in line for tickets, thanks to asking Mao to pick them up beforehand. Still, we totally underestimated how busy it'd be during Golden Week.

Phew, finally inside. Wanna take a quick selfie?

She doesn't even wait for a response before snapping some pictures. Some with me, some with Miharu, some just by herself.

Your battery's gonna die if you're always taking pictures.

No worries. I've got a power bank with me.

I wouldn't mind taking a picture with you, Rinka.

Let's all squish together, then.

I don't mind, but hey, might as well get a picture of you two together!

*snap!*

Ahaha...

Naomi tries to hide her bewilderment through awkward laughter.

Cool. Get out those purses, ladies. Time to splurge!

Already? Shouldn't we actually ride some of the attractions first?

I agree. I'm typically not a fan of rollercoasters, but I might be fine if I'm sitting beside Rinka.

Aww, but theme parks are all about the cute trinkets you can buy... Oh yeah, there's a parade later on that I wanna see. You down, Naorin?

I'd like to see the parade too, but... I'll leave the decisions to you three.

Looks like Naomi's decided to just go with the flow. Can't blame her, either. Pitching an idea to this group is kinda difficult.

The closest thing from here is... Brilliant Tower. Seems like it's a free-fall ride.

I don't wanna wait in another line...

Oh, apparently they have tickets here that let you skip ahead of the line, but there are a limited amount.

I looked into that myself while we were waiting to get in. We wouldn't be able to use them for another hour because it's so busy, but it might be worth getting some now.

Sounds good. Let's check out the shops while we pick those up. The parade isn't until later in the day, so let's decide if we want to see it or not after getting some rides in.

Whoa, Leader Rinka's up in here!

I'm fine with that plan.

I'll... leave everything to you.

And with that, we make our way over to the ticket machine. I can feel myself getting excited about how fun today will be.

…

BGM: Amusement Park (Bright Night)

05/06 (SUN), Night
The sky is pitch black when closing time looms near, allowing all the fancy illuminations to light up the park.

Me and Miharu take a rest on one of the benches near the entrance, since Mao and Naomi split off from us to buy something they forgot to get earlier.

Ugh. Nothing but couples around here... Wanna sit somewhere else?

Hardly surprising, considering we're at a theme park on a holiday. Still, it feels awkward sitting around people who're openly flirting with each other. I try to get up so we can move elsewhere, but Miharu grabs onto my sleeve and stops me.

No, let's stay here. For just a bit longer.

Once again, pretty obvious what the 'bad' choice is. :v:

-”It's embarrassing, so... lemme go.”
-”O-Okay, then.”

O-Okay, then.

Today's truly been a good day. It's not often you respond like that, after all.

It's not often that she wears such a shy expression, either. She's normally a lot more outspoken, but something seems to be on her mind right now.

Soon after, people start to gather around us to see the impending parade. Seems like we've picked a pretty good spot by coincidence, judging by the number of onlookers. The only issue is that it'll be hard to meet back up with Mao and Naomi if it gets any more packed, so I try to move again.

Miharu maintains her refusal to let go of my sleeve, though, and I fail to find the words to make her stop. The silence between us continues. This isn't normal.

People tend to get the wrong impression about her, since she rarely talks to anyone other than us, but she actually has a great sense of humor. She enjoys talking about the most meaningless stuff, too. And yet, here we sit in utter silence. She's looking a bit shy, but there's determination in her expression as well, so I can't bring myself to say anything.

The park staff sets up barricades near the bench during this time to make sure no one can get in the way of the parade before they start to organize people into lines. We could just stay seated, but doing so while the rest of the crowd waits around all excited feels too awkward.

Hey...
Rinka...

We speak at the same time, possibly because we're thinking the same thing.

What is it?

You go first.

Oh, I just wanted to say that today was fun.

It really was.

Wanna stay and watch the parade? I'll send Mao a message if you do.

I'd love to. This is the first time I've been to a theme park, so I was curious about the parade. I rarely go anywhere with my family... and I tend to stay in at night.

That so?

Her only response to me is a smile. Back to an awkward silence. The only difference is that she has a downcast expression now, which morphs into one of worry. But then that hint of determination returns.

What I wanted to say earlier was-

As soon as she starts, the people around us begin to cheer. Immediately after, all the park illuminations go dark, which signals the start of some lively music.

Looks like the parade's starting.

...It sure is.

The sheer amount of noise coming from the parade makes it impossible for us to talk while it's going on. Regardless, just seeing it is enough for me. It's one of those things you can just sit back and appreciate.

The parade comes to an end about half an hour later. Part of me is still entranced, even after the park illuminations spark back on. Once most of the people who've come to see it move on, I tell Miharu that we should go, too. She slowly loosens her grip on my sleeve before standing.

That was... very pretty.

Yeah, it was. I'm glad we watched it.

I hope this isn't the last time we all go out together like this.

She says this with a dramatically different tone of voice.

Don't worry! There'll be plenty more chances. Not like we're parting ways anytime soon.

Right... Thanks, Rinka. Hearing that is enough to keep me going.

Next event is... the fireworks display in August, I guess. Haven't talked to Mao about it yet, but let's all go to that.

I make sure to emphasize that we should “all” go.

Definitely.

She replies with one clear, simple word. So clear, in fact, that it worries me a little. Normally you wouldn't be so firm about planning a night out with friends. My phone vibrates. Mao has just sent me a message, and when I turn around upon reading it, both her and Naomi are walking toward us.

Oh, here they come. Let's get going, then.

…...

Miharu?

Oh, sorry... I spaced out for a sec. Let's meet up with them.

I wave the two of them over after she says that.

…

BGM: Rinka's Room

The first thing I do when I get home is take a good shower. Today has been absolutely exhausting, so my body insists that I dive straight into bed afterwards.

Today was fun...

I'm not exactly rolling in money, so I couldn't buy much, but I did come home with something precious. I'm sure I don't need to say what it is, either. My gran even gets back to me about relatively cheap and tasty beans, as well as a way for beginners to make decent drip coffee. School's back in session tomorrow as well, so I need to make sure I teach Naomi properly.

Once I hop into bed, my eyes are drawn to a certain book on my bookshelf... I still haven't told Naomi about the cards inside. I should do that when she comes over to learn the coffee brewing technique. I turn my light off, ready to fall asleep.

Yep. Today really was fun.

I find myself repeating the same thing I said a few moments ago. We're still a ways off from the fireworks display in August, but I'm already looking forward to it. There's no doubt we'll do plenty of other stuff before that, too. So I figure, anyway. I still have no idea what is in store for me...

I never even consider the possibility of my daily life being disrupted by something far beyond my imagination.

05/06 (SUN), Midnight
…

…...

...Morning already? It doesn't feel like I've been asleep very long, but that might just be because I was so exhausted last night.

???: Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate. Oh? You certainly took your time, Numeral I.

I am wrong.

I haven't woken up.

This is the same thing that's been happening to me these last few days. I'm still asleep, and yet conscious for some reason. Slowly, but surely... I open my eyes.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was a strong start with the explosion but I'm ready for the ball to really get rolling now.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This is adorable. And such a well-made thread. I don't know if I should buy the game or enjoy the thread and then buy the game.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I'm gonna try to resist the urge to play through myself so I can speculate, since most of the threads I'm following now I'm already spoiled on.

I'm watching you, Miharu :colbert: Sus, as the kids say. Not sure if her not wanting Naomi to come was just because she wanted to get Rinka alone, or if there's drama there.

Oh, and the art's really pretty! I like the style a lot.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rikas design is great.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

…!

The sight that greets me is one that I could never have imagined. A number of gears float amidst infinite darkness. I gaze up and notice a faint ray of light piercing said darkness. Then it finally registers that I'm standing up, not lying down. I find myself on a circular platform about three meters in diameter. A witness stand, like one you'd see in court, is attached to the platform. I've only ever seen one in the news and on TV shows...

Even more baffling is that this platform seems to be floating. It's attached to a much larger circle, but floats independently of it. This is just one of twelve platforms, by my count, all of which are arranged within a larger circular pattern, like a clock's face. As if in support of this analogy, the platform on which I stand is labelled with a Roman numeral, I. In the center of these concentric circles are massive clock hands, slowly ticking away.

What the hell...? Where is this?

Why, of all people, are YOU here?!

I inhale sharply the moment I hear that voice. The platform beside me, which would be Roman numeral II, has none other than Miharu standing on it.

Mi-

???: Excuse me, Numeral I? I suggest you refrain from calling her by name.

A voice I don't recognize stops me. I look in the direction from which it comes, only to see a small girl with white hair.

Huh? How're you walking on thin air...?

Unlike the rest of us, she isn't standing on a circular platform. She is walking around on nothing at all. She takes another step forward, stopping on the sub-section attaching our platforms together. The hem of her skirt flutters up slightly, which reveals her slender thighs. Her hair is as fluffy as her clothes, the latter of which resembles the attire worn by a foreign noble. The hat nestled on her tiny head is kind of cute, too. Our eyes meet as we turn to face one another.

You will address me as Parca, Goddess of Destiny and the supervisor of Divine Selection. In simpler terms, I am an existence far above you mortals.
Parca's VA is Kanako Nomura; most of her other roles are unnamed or single episode characters in shows like Kokoro Connect or Mouretsu Pirates, but she also voices Chizuru Nikaidou in one of the iDOLM@STER mobile games.

...Uh, wanna... run that by me again?

Ahh... I see the shock caused by your death resulted in slightly stunted memory retention. I'm fairly certain that I explained things to you once already, but alas. Allow me to repeat myself.

Sorry, I guess? But I honestly have no idea what you're talking about...

Could I not explain things faster if you kept your mouth shut tight?

She sighs again, obviously unimpressed. Her attitude towards me, despite her being visibly younger, makes me want to keep interrupting her.

So you were able to enjoy the past few days like normal simply because you forgot? In that case, you're best off listening to her. For your own sake.

B-But...

Let me rephrase that. Please listen to her.

R-Right...

Are you quite finished? If so, the rest of you may take this as an opportunity to refresh your own memories.

She makes her way along a clock hand to the center of the clock face. She continues her explanation mid-step, her tone as elegant as they come.

All of you gathered here have found yourselves at the juncture of causality, and thus, have been granted an opportunity to escape death. We call the process involved in affording this opportunity Divine Selection. As stated before, my name is Parca, Goddess of Destiny. We have a mere twelve weeks, eleven when excluding tonight, to spend together, but I hope they prove fruitful nonetheless.

She reaches the center of the clock by the time she finishes her self-introduction. She then stands tall, pinches her skirt, and bobs a curtsy to us before continuing her explanation.

Under normal circumstances, all twelve of you would be gathered in one location at the exact same time twelve weeks from now, when Divine Selection ends. However, your lives all came to an end before that could occur. You were all in different locations, yet amusingly enough, your deaths occurred at the exact same moment in time.

This occurrence is what we refer to as the juncture of causality.

The juncture of causality. Okay. Call it whatever you want, but I'm struggling to keep up. If what she's saying is true, then me and Miharu, not to mention the others here... We're dead. That can't be right, though. I've been living my life normally until now. So... am I a ghost? That makes even less sense. Confused though I may be, I listen to what this girl has to say.

Location is irrelevant during this occurrence, as your individual consciousnesses transcend the mortal coil the moment you die. I'm sure you've all experienced something similar while alive. I believe 'dreaming' is the term you use to refer to it. To that effect, let us refer to this as the dream world.

This world has many facets. Not only does it serve as one of many parallel worlds, but it also acts as individual mental worlds, while simultaneously comprised of humanity's collective dormant consciousness. A world that theoretically does not exist, subsiding in a fragile state. Some work was required in order for you all to be cognizant of such a world. It is for that purpose I created the Court of Fate, where you all now stand.

I take in my surroundings. No walls. No ceiling. Calling this place a court does feel fitting, considering how odd it is.

Bestowing a name upon that which does not exist is the simplest, most effective way to instill meaning. I do hope you keep that in mind.

STRANGE MAN: Cut the crap and let me put a name forward already.

A man's voice cuts in as if to silence Parca. The voice originated from the platform to my right, emblazoned with the Roman numeral XII.

BGM: Do You Understand?

The man standing there has brown skin. He's tall and muscular, with a hardened face. I assume he's from the Middle East. Actually, wait a minute. Isn't it odd that both Parca and this guy can speak Japanese? Why didn't I realize that sooner? Everyone sounded so natural that the thought never crossed my mind.
Numeral XII's VA is Maeda Kunihiro; most of his VA credits are for background characters in anime like Nerawareta Gakuen, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Kyokai no Kanata, and Ixion Saga DT, but he also voiced a supporting character, Larry, in the VN Ayakashi Gohan.

Nothing good comes from being impatient. I am about to mention the most important part.

She gives a stern, yet composed warning.

Let us return to the topic at hand. Of the twelve present, only one will be able to realize the rest of their fate. The cause of your deaths have been temporarily silenced while Divine Selection proceeds, but this will be undone for all those eliminated during it. Not only that, but any events in the real world caused by an eliminated member will also be undone during this period.

It may be wise to consider yourselves existences removed from the natural state of the world until Divine Selection has run its course. In other words, you cannot die by any means other than Divine Selection, although injuries and the like will occur as normal. I certainly hope this answers your silly questions, Numeral I.

She shoots me a sharp glance before she continues to speak. Much as I'd rather not, it's hard to feign ignorance after hearing her explain things this much.

So all twelve of us are here to kill one another?

You are ninety percent correct, my dear. No killing will go on in here, however. How uncouth that would be. Instead, you will simply... erase one another. One cannot kill that which is already dead, after all.

...Such an unpleasant description.

Miharu and I aren't the only ones to react, too. The others have their own thoughts to share on the matter, too. Parca's voice, along with all of ours, resounds throughout the court so we can hear each other speak. I don't have it in me to take a good look at all the others gathered. My eyes are glued to the person on platform VI- she sits in the fetal position, lifeless- almost as if asleep. I go back to focusing on Parca after that in an attempt to take my mind off the uneasiness welling up in me. I can decide whether or not to believe this after she finishes.

Three cards are required in order to eliminate someone. Each of you have been dealt cards detailing a name, a cause of death, and a regret. These represent the present, past, and future, respectively. You all have a personal card with information regarding yourselves, so I'm sure you understand. Of course, Divine Selection requires its participants to have some manner of clue in order for it to proceed, so you have all been allocated three cards at random with information regarding your peers.

What you need to do now is gather the remaining cards on your own. Obtaining information on the other participants is key, as this information will mold itself into the form of a card. Said information must be gathered in the real world. Follow this procedure, and you're certain to obtain additional cards without issue. The sole object that links this world with reality is the card book you were all appointed. Behold.

I cast my eyes down as she mentions the book. What I initially thought was some kind of handrail is actually a bookstand. Resting upon it is a single book. An auburn-colored cover with gold leaf gears decorating it...

Huh... Why's this book here?

I open it up, only to discover that it's identical to the one at Lion House.

Whoa...

A bright light pours out from it all of a sudden. I close my eyes on instinct and slowly open them again when I notice the light gradually fading away. What greets me now are four cards, one lined up beside another, floating above the book itself.

IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Each card has its own details written on them. Only one card has my own information on it, though. Maybe that's thanks to my memory being fuzzy? The other three have information on the others, so... four total. I catch myself peeking over at Miharu, but I can't see anything due to the light pouring from her book.

We're not allowed to know what cards other people have, not even how many.

That explains the bright light stopping me from seeing anything.

Miharu gives a concise explanation of her discovery. She must've noticed me looking over at her. Meanwhile, Parca pays us no mind, opting instead to continue her explanation.

The election order is decided after each participant decides what they wish to do. Keep in mind that the numbers you have been assigned will not prevent anyone from electing another. Should the person you elect opt to elect you in response, whoever reveals one personal card to the remaining participants earns election priority.

She continues her explanation to proclaim that if both reveal a personal card, they are required to reveal another. If both parties reveal all three cards, a stalemate occurs, which results in all other participants receiving their information and running the risk of being elected; nothing more. We only have three pieces of information, so revealing just one is risky enough. Conversely, if you refuse to eliminate a personal card, then you'll be eliminated.

I've only got one personal card... What's up with that? Parca moves on before I can ask.

Another point to stress is regarding successive elections. For example, Numeral I elects Numeral XII, and Numeral III elects Numeral I; should Numeral I succeed in eliminating Numeral XII, then Numeral III is given the opportunity to eliminate Numeral I. Once all have decided whether or not to elect someone, said elections will take place in chronological order based on your numeral. So concludes the basic rules governing Divine Selection.

However, know that a scenario can involve Numeral I electing Numeral XII, and Numeral XII elects Numeral III. Should Numeral I succeed in eliminating Numeral XII, Numeral III's election is null and void. In such a case, where the procedure grows more complex, the order becomes fixed so as to enxure the maximum number of eliminations possible.

Hearing her explain all that makes me realize the meaning behind these cards. I ended up dying at some point without realizing it, and now I'm being forced to take part in this ordeal. It's why I was given these cards. She calls it Divine Selection, but this whole thing... Collecting cards and eliminating others... It's practically a game. A game with our futures at stake. Gathering info on complete strangers isn't an easy task, but so long as you can manage that, then...

It's basically over should anyone gather all three pieces of information about you, right? That's just...

There does seem to be a solid strategy where you can keep yourself safe.

My eyes are affixed to Miharu after hearing her, as I hope she'll continue.

It involves holding the three cards relevant to whoever elects you. You can use those to protect yourself, causing both yours and the cards of whoever elected you to disappear. Or so I assume. They won't be able to elect you after that, but you won't be able to elect them, either.

But if the one who elects you opts to reveal one of their personal cards in response, they cancel your defense. That's the gist of it, right?

Indeed. I am glad at least one of you can recount the details.

What happens if those two end up being the only remaining participants?

...We can cross that bridge if we ever reach it.

She makes it clear that she has nothing else to add. I try to interject, but she ignores me.

That's not all, though. There's a way to escape being eliminated even if you're elected, isn't there?

A grin flashes across Parca's face in response.

For example, if one participant is elected by two others at the same time. Both have to fight for the right to elect them, and as Parca said before, they'd have to reveal one personal card for that right. Correct?

Does the election get cancelled if neither chooses to reveal a personal card...?

You certainly have your wits about you... Yes, that is correct.

Miharu closes her book when she notices Parca is about to continue her explanation. I try to close mine, but it forces itself back open until the cards can make their way back inside. After they have, I can close it just fine. Seeing real objects behave like a smartphone app is a bit weird.

Keep in mind that each individual can only make one election per night. The election itself begins once all participants have decided whether or not to take part. Should one participant obtain all three pieces of information with the revelation of another's personal card, they must wait until the next night to elect them.

Looks like there's a proper procedure for all this. First everyone has to decide if they want to elect someone, and once they've made that choice, the election itself begins. I can tell that the rules she's explaning are vital, so I try my best to keep up despite my persistent confusion.

There is a merit to eliminating another participant, I should note. In doing so, you have the right to take one of the cards they held. In exchange, though...

This has gone on for far too long.

The same voice that interrupted her earlier speaks out again.

Don't! Don't, please! Please spare me, Bill!

Shut up. You don't have the luxury of babbling on like this either, Goddess.

The man clearly has no sympathy for the woman pleading with him. In fact, he seems to feel nothing at all- much like Parca.

Very well, then. Let us begin. Tonight's election shall now take place.

I can't recall much of what happens next. Once the man on platform XII elects the woman on platform VI, they are both raised upwards and out of sight. Not long after, platform XII descends with the man on it. I assume it means that he has all three of her cards and has succeeded in eliminating her. After he returns, I think he shows a card to Parca and claims it is the name of Numeral VIII. Having to say which card you take is probably what she would've explained if he hadn't interrupted her earlier. Which means everyone else gets to know the card you claimed.

Worry not, for this is all taking place as you sleep. Time flows differently from the real world here. Once you wake up, you will be greeted by the morning as normal.

Tonight's session resulted in one elimination. I bid you all farewell for now.

My consciousness begins to fade when she says that. The sensation is similar to when you start falling asleep. My train of thought has completely stopped at that point, though.

There's no way I can accept this.

Not a single thing about it.

[END OF WEEK ONE: NESCIENT PEACE]

------

Cardbook has updated.

While playing this VN, once Rinka recieves her first cards, you can access the Cardbook menu at any time if you need a refresher on what cards have been revealed (as well as whose possession they're in). There's no hidden information here or anything- it only updates based on what information has been given in the course of the story- but I'll still show the Cardbook at the end of an update if the contents within have changed at any point. :v:

Note that this only shows cards that the player knows the contents of, so even though we just saw Numeral XII obtain the name of Numeral VIII, it's not in the menu under his name because we don't know what the card says yet. For now, the only information we have for certain are the four cards that Rinka has.

IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That, uh, there's our escalation, at least.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

My face watching these interesting characters being put through all this crap when I just want them to have normal lives.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ngl I did not exactly follow that explanation but I'm sure I'll get it as we go along. Some kind of Werewolf+Clue hybrid? It's a cool concept, I like it a lot.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Of course this game just went on steam sale. I assume everyone reading this thread wish-listed it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

05/07 (MON), Early Morning
The most accurate way to describe how I felt when I woke up this morning would probably be “melancholic.” Granted, I'm not sure I even slept in the first place. But what I am sure of is that certain things I've forgotten have come back to me.

Wednesday, May 2nd: Naomi and I were on our way back to Lion House from school. We were trapped in a fire on the train at that time. That'd explain why fire is listed as my cause of death. And it was no dream. It was reality. The fact that I couldn't stop shaking after remembering it lent credence to its veracity. Even if my mind had forgotten, my body certainly hadn't. The fire broke out so fast that I barely had time to react, although I remember a feeling of relief at knowing that Naomi was safe.

As for how the fire happened, I'm not entirely sure. My body starts to quiver and I get headaches whenever I try to think back. However, I do recall a very specific bag and the keychain attached to it for some reason. It turns out that I did indeed meet Parca after my death, too. Like she said last night, I had already heard her explanation once before. There's no doubt it happened in that odd dream world, too.

I guess I've got no choice for the time being but to believe last night's dream and piece my memories together.

Ugh... I can't wrap my head around this at all...

Much as I'd like to be able to, this is the best I can manage right now. Even if I accept that it wasn't just a dream, there's still way too much I don't understand. I couldn't find a single noteworthy incident when I checked the Internet for any info about railway incidents on that date, either.

Parca did say that the cause of our deaths had been undone...

In other words, the fire that killed me never happened once I became a participant in Divine Selection. That's the only explanation.

That odd book's perched up on my bookshelf like always... I wonder if this one and the one that appeared in the Court of Fate are the same book? If so, that'd mean it makes its way between here and the dream world on its own.

Whatever. There's no point in overthinking things for now.

Still four cards in the book, too. Wait, four? That can't be right. Parca mentioned that we'd automatically obtain cards when we learned some accurate information. Something about giving thoughts a tangible form. The card detailing my cause of death isn't here for some reason... That's not all. Miharu turned out to be a participant as well, so she should have her own set of cards. I figured I would at least have the card with her full name since I know it, but I don't.

I wonder if there are some other conditions you need to meet...?

That isn't the main issue regarding her, though. I've been trying to keep myself from thinking about it, but it's about time I face reality. Only one of us can make it through Divine Selection.

That means either me or Miharu will need to be eliminated.

That being said, I'd like to talk to her first. There's the tiniest chance that this might've just been my imagination going wild. I eventually abandon my train of thought and get ready to go to school. I make toast for breakfast, but end up shoving it in the fridge because I can't summon the will to eat anything.

…...

BGM: At Amecha Girls' University High School

Mornin', Rinny.

Mao's already in the classroom by the time I arrive.

Amecha Girls' University High School. Otherwise known as Amecha High. An apparently traditional school with facilities from kindergarten right up to college. It's co-ed through middle school, but at the high school level, all the boys have to go elsewhere. People seem to have this image of it being one of those stereotypical all-girls' Christian establishments, but it's not much different from the typical top-tier school.

Yesterday was fun, wasn't it?

Yeah... Fun...

I can't motivate myself to give a cheerful reply. What I saw last night refuses to leave my mind. Accepting the fact that I should be dead is proving to be a bit tricky.

Hey now, where's your enthusiasm? Still tired from yesterday?

Wouldn't be surprised considering how much we walked around.

Yeah, I ended up falling asleep as soon as I got back. Probably why I woke up super early this morning, too.

That'd explain why you're here on time on a Monday.

Whoa, there! Let's not imply that I'm always late on Mondays, even though it's true.

Talking to Mao helps to cheer me up a bit. If it turns out that last night wasn't just my imagination, then I really dunno what to do about it. I'm probably better off just living life like usual. Until I get the chance to speak with Miharu, at least.

Ironically enough, Miharu hasn't arrived by the time classes begin.

…...

05/07 (MON), Noon)
In fact, she doesn't come to school at all. I've sent her a message, but it is listed as being unread. This, following what's happened last night, causes me to panic. Fortunately, Mao has some calming news for me.

Seems like Miharun skipped out today 'cuz she was feeling sick. She said she's in good enough shape to go to work, though.

Huh? She replied to you?

Yup. In a flash, too.

She never even read my message...

Uhh, hmm... That's weird. Maybe she missed it?

I make an expression that screams “you're so full of it” in response. She tries to avoid eye contact, but eventually gives in when I refuse to stop staring at her.

Did something happen between you two yesterday?

Huh? Yesterday...?

I can't help but repeat part of her question back at her. Don't tell me that Miharu's told her everything...!

You two were alone during the parade, right?

A wave of relief washes over me when I hear that. She's only talking about the amusement park. In that case, I can't think of anything in particular. Mao seems legitimately concerned, though.

I can tell that Miharun's got something on her mind.

...But what?

Who knows.

She wastes no time in reverting to feigned ignorance.

Come on, don't keep me out of the loop.

And here I was ready for something heavy, considering how rare it is to see Mao looking so serious.

I could tell you, but here's the thing... you're the only one that can solve her problem.

Why's that?

So... see ya later!

H-Hey! Wait!

Mao ignores me and trots right out of the classroom. She's not in any clubs, so it's common for her to head straight home after school. In fact, she rarely stops by Lion House, either. And I always get brushed off whenever I ask what she's been up to.

Miharu...

What's on her mind, exactly? Thinking back to it yesterday, she did look like she wanted to say something when we were alone. Considering the dream that followed, the two might be related. ...Which reminds me, Mao mentioned that Miharu would be going to work. I get what she's saying now. She really does care for her friends.

There's just one issue, though...

I find it hard to keep my concerns about where she works at bay. I know the name of the place and where it is, but... it's kind of hard to stroll in there. I mean, it's a restaurant by definition, but it's a bit different from your standard fare.

I'd be fine if Mao tagged along, but chances are she won't want to. After giving it some thought, I grab my phone and fire off a message.

…...

BGM: Welcome Back, my Master E

05/07 (MON), Evening
Umm... Do you come to places like this often?

Nope, this is my first time. I was hoping to chat with Miharu since she works here, but...

Miharu's workplace is a maid cafe located in Akihabara. It's a small, privately run establishment, so the staff just has to wear maid outfits. Meaning none of the usual business you see from bigger outlets, but it still takes some courage to stroll in. There's no way I could have done it on my own, which is why I brought Naomi along as my sacrifice, of sorts. Unsurprisingly, all the customers are guys, which helps us to feel especially out of place.

I'd appreciate it if you learned to act a little more lady-like, Rinka.

Miharu sounds beyond exhausted as she drops off my coffee.

Sorry, but I needed to talk with you... no matter what. You didn't read the message I sent, so I decided I'd best come by when Mao said you'd be at work.

So it was her, huh? She messaged me this morning while I wasn't feeling too well, so I replied saying I should be able to make it to work. You messaged me this afternoon, didn't you?

Yup. During lunch break.

I forgot to charge my phone last night, so I had to turn it off while I let it charge today. Now I'm upset that I missed an ever-so-elusive message from you.

Oh, sorry. Here you go.

With that, she places Naomi's “warm and fluffy cocoa” in front of her. But she misses the coaster a little bit, which leads to her inadvertently slamming it down on the table. Naturally, this surprises some of the other customers, causing many of their gazes to turn our way.

Eep.

Dear me, I'm awfully sorry.

Miharu turns to Naomi and delivers a polite bow. Naomi looks terrified, despite being on the receiving end of an apology.

Unlike Lion House, this isn't a place where you can sit down and relax, unfortunately. I wish you would have figured as much, based on the fact that it's a maid cafe... If you need to talk, then I'll pop by Lion House after my shift. Well, assuming you're fine with that, of course.

Yeah, that's fine. Sorry for bugging you...

But I gotta say, that maid outfit really suits you. Makes your natural good looks stand out even more.

It... suits me...? Wow... I never thought I'd live to see the day you'd say that to me. Now you've gone and gotten me all embarrassed...

Her face is bright red as she says that. A very uncommon occurrence. You'd imagine she's used to customers complimenting her, but I guess it's different when it's a classmate.

I only chose this job because I could earn good money in exchange for acting nice to people, but after hearing that, I'd say it's been worth it.

Umm... I'm not sure if you should say that out loud...

Right when Naomi says that, the other customers burst out in laughter.

Hehe! As you can see, that's just how I do things. Everyone else is fine with it.

That's pretty cool...

As much as I can appreciate how these places have unique work environments, I still don't really like being in one.

BGM: Welcome Back, my Master E

Anyway, sit back and relax.

She gives us her perfectly rehearsed work smile before moving on.

Umm... I'm not too sure if my coming along was a good idea...

Don't worry. I feel the same way. Figured there'd be some other girls here scouting out the cute outfits, but I figured wrong.

Th-That isn't quite what I meant...

Ignoring Naomi's stuttering, I make an effort to start on my coffee. We finish up our drinks in a hurry and leave just as quickly. We get on the same train back as well, but have to split up at Shinjuku Station- my stop.

05/07 (MON), Night
Once it hits 9 p.m., I start preprations to close up shop. I opened up pretty late today, so there weren't many customers. We used to get lots of people coming along for lunch when my gran ran the store, but I can't make much. It's no surprise that they'd stop coming. Even so, the fact that some people still come by because they enjoy being able to relax and chat here makes me happy.

It's worth mentioning that my gran handles all business and financial decisions for Lion House, even while in the countryside. I put in the orders and such myself, but that's all based on her instructions after seeing each daily report. This is made possible thanks to the laptop she took with her. She's actually more tech literate than I am, despite her age.

Around the time I finish cleaning up the store, someone makes their way through the door. Hearing the little bell jingle, I look over to see who it is.

Hey, you.

It's Miharu, who's changed back into her school uniform. Just remembering her in that maid outfit nearly causes an involuntary grin. I don't mean that in a bad way. It looked a lot better on her than I imagined. Although I bet most things do, considering she's tall and stylish. In the end, it's her work outfit, so it'd be kind of rude of me to laugh.

Hey... Did work drag on?

Yeah, sorry about that. The girl who was gonna follow my shift cancelled out of nowhere, so I had to stay behind.

Can't say I'm too impressed by whoever that was. It's still work, even if they're doing it part-time.

It's one of those jobs where you get paid a lot for relatively easy work, so I'm not surprised. You won't find many of us working there actually trying to make a living off it. Most of us are there just to make some money on the side.

Hehe... It carries extra weight when you of all people talk about someone's work ethic, though.

The same applies to you.

The majority of Miharu's wage goes straight into living expenses, thanks to her situation at home. She doesn't pay for a tuition either, thanks to a scholarship. I don't know the full story, but her parents got divorced, so it's just her and her mom at home, I think. What's worse, her mom isn't in the best condition, so she struggles to keep a consistent income. I might not be working for the money myself, but I can't really compare myself with Miharu when I've got my gran supporting me.

Speaking of which, she mentioned once that most of the money she makes comes from real estate. She always brushes me off when I try to dig deeper into it.

Anyway... You wanted to speak with me, right? Is it all right if I get my hopes up?

You know exactly what it's about. This'll take a while, so grab a seat.

I take my apron off and move to sit down with her.

It won't take long at all, actually.

She stops me before I can take my seat, and then continues.

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-

I saw what unfolded in that dream world myself. There's no denying that both of us should be dead right now. It seems like you don't quite remember the details of how it happened, though.

...It came back to me afterwards. My memory's still jumbled up, but now I know that last night wasn't the first time I met that girl, or goddess, whatever you want to call her.

Hehe. That makes things simple, then. We both need to make it through to the end.

She says this with a radiant smile.

How can you smile at a time like this?

When I see her smile, I can't stop my gut feelings from taking over. I lose my self-control the moment she confirms that Divine Selection is real. Everything I've been holding back since waking up from that dream comes pouring out...

It's simple. You wouldn't have had any doubts about wanting to survive if I wasn't a participant, correct? But the fact that I am means you can't summon those survival instincts now. The idea of doing so in exchange for my life pains you far too much. That's just the type of person you are.

You don't need to worry about that, though. I'm fully prepared to give my life for you.

Excuse me? What did you just say?

Like I said, it's simple. If given the choice between either of our lives, I'd choose yours in a heartbeat.

What the hell? Don't say that like it doesn't mean anything! Don't even joke about something like that...

Sorry... I shouldn't have shouted.

I break eye contact with her, giving myself a moment to regroup. Miharu replies by shaking her head while deciding on her next words.

I say this with the utmost conviction. Besides, I think it's safe to say that every other participant is adamant on surviving, too. Getting caught up in kindness spells certain death for you.

How can you be so calm about all this?

As much as I don't want to think about it, she has a cause of death of her own, as well. That moment's undoubtedly etched into her mind. My own death shocked me so much that my brain tried to block it out, and yet she's here acting like it's no big deal... I don't understand how she does it.

Because I'm doing this for your sake.

I'm glad we got to talk about this. You really don't have it in you to take the initiative, huh? I'm best off not giving you information about me, then. The last thing I want is more people going after you. Let's act normal at school, too. You'll make it through this, so you can't let anything disrupt your day to day life.

I need you to work with me as much as possible, though. Your death would spell my own inevitable elimination.

She finishes her spiel before facing away from me.

I'll do whatever it takes to protect you.

I can't open my mouth, not even after she's left my line of sight. I've forgotten to ask her about her own personal cards, as well as the reason behind me not obtaining any cards related to her.

…...

I make no progress for several days as I wait for the second round of Divine Selection to come around. I start to teach Naomi how to brew coffee bit by bit while I continue to engage in the usual banter with Miharu and Mao. None of this helps to ease the tension in my heart, though. I can feel myself being pressured more and more by the reality that I've become a participant in Divine Selection again.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Miharu like-likes Rinka :3: and everybody can see it except for her

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm getting a real bad feeling about Miharu's cause of death

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 9, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Going back to the previous update, that was a really, really subdued first death, if that even was a death. It's an interesting choice to make it so clean.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Also, apologies in advance if this LP moves at a brisk pace, I've got a pretty huge buffer already prepared and this is a longer VN than the previous two I've done, and also I'm just impatient :v: If people feel like it's too fast then I can definitely slow it down, though

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

What I want to know is: why does Rinka just happen to own such a thematically-appropriate shirt with a clock face and flame on it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the celestial death game dimension has a killer gift shop

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Mix. posted:

Also, apologies in advance if this LP moves at a brisk pace, I've got a pretty huge buffer already prepared and this is a longer VN than the previous two I've done, and also I'm just impatient :v: If people feel like it's too fast then I can definitely slow it down, though

Give me ALL the content. :getin: I'm in the mood to speculate wildly.

So, Miharu: is in love with Rinka, is lying about her name and possibly other things, does not like Naomi (just because she's a threat to Rinka or for other reasons?). I'm still very suspicious.

The subdued first death feels like it'll be important later, definitely. Or maybe I've been reading too much WTC.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I just guessed that Miharu doesn't like Naomi because she thinks Naomi's trying to make a move on Rinka, but I might not be giving the game enough credit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mix. posted:

Update pace seems fine. I'd say things go overboard if you're constantly updating more than once in the same day. :v:

This seems like it'll be an interesting ride. Looking forward to more.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Villain

05/09 (WED), Night)
There are people in this world who don't deserve to live, and I've never had any issue counting myself among them.

I spent my life stealing and killing as part of the mafia in southern Italy. I got to where I am today through countless betrayals.

I was never in the big leagues, but I managed to find success after success as a mafioso. Until, you know, I messed up when I shouldn't have and, well, died. Success wasn't imperative in the world I lived in. The key was to avoid failing, because a single failure meant you'd be six feet under. And that's exactly what happened to me. It's funny, though. Turns out, Lady Luck's impartial when it comes to whom she gives her blessing.

Getting tossed into Divine Selection means I have the opportunity to live on, despite my mistake. I've been given a new lease on life. I might not deserve to live, but that's irrelevant in the face of my desire to do so. So long as that desire's there, nothing else matters.

That's the Federico Carminati way of life. I failed only once in my life, and I'm determined to keep it that way. I guess Lady Luck isn't the only one to pay me a visit, though. Her much less unfortunate sister has made sure to stop by, too.
Federico's VA is listed as Koide Hiroshi, but I couldn't find any other roles he'd been credited for under this name.

Hey, space cadet. Do you copy?

This charming individual is Odette Malencon. Much like me, she's a participant in Divine Selection. Under normal circumstances, we should be aiming to eliminate each other, but we've agreed to help one another out... for the time being. Well, I guess it'd be more accurate to say that she's forced me into a truce.
Odette's VA is Okamura Minami; her only notable role is that of Uematsu Rikako from the VN Raging Loop.

Nothing much. Thinking about something.

How about you focus on the grub instead? I ain't about to let good Chinese cooking go to waste, Capricorno.

We use “Capricorno” as my codename when we're speaking. It's based on my zodiac sign. In turn, “Vierge” is how I refer to her. My only issue is that pronouncing French words is kinda tricky for an Italian like myself. Anyway, I'm the one that suggested using codenames. I did that mainly because our names are valuable info when it comes to eliminating others in Divine Selection. Neither of us are supposed to know each other's real name. Knowing her, she's probably used some connections to pull my name outta the lake, but she won't tell me that straight up. Obviously, I know her real name as well, but I haven't told her. Keeping that stuff to ourselves is the reason our current relationship works in the first place.

Gotta admit, I couldn't be any happier that we're in Beijing. You ain't gonna find better Chinese grub anywhere. They serve this stuff to the old Emperors of the Qing Dynasty, so even the sauces are perfect. What's more, it's loaded with calories to combat the cold climate here. For a gal who lives on the sea, the perfect blend of taste and calories is just what I need.

In fact, I'd argue that this Peking duck right here's probably the greatest thing to ever come out of China. Fat's never tasted this good. The way it's made is just as horrible as what they do to geese while making foie gras, but it don't change the fact that it's delicious. Least the ducks can do is hope they ain't as tasty in their next life.

She shovels more and more food into her mouth the second she quits yapping. This is her third plate of Peking duck, by the way. She's had plenty of gyoza and steamed buns in between, too. Hard to believe someone from France would order food like this, considering how particular they are about their full-course meals. Just watching her pig out makes my stomach ache.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that while French food's still the best, I ain't got no issue letting Chinese food play second fiddle.

Now wait just a sec. I don't mind what's second and beyond, but I'm not gonna let you imply that Italian food is anything but the best.

Fine. Let's go find us a well-built Chinese person. Whoever wins in a fight between us three can say their country has the best food.

Okay, fine, you win. Well, you don't, but let's change topics before things escalate.

She really would hunt for someone, too. Only problem is that it doesn't matter what kind of tank she recruits- she'd still beat both of us senseless. Ain't many people who can take her in a fist fight, men included. She's the head of a group teeming with tough seamen for a reason.

How about it, Federico, time for booze? This shaoxingjiu's pretty great. Tastes like dissolved candy.

Gimme a break, Ode- Ah.

Just like that, she's baited me into saying her real name.

I dunno what you were thinking about earlier, but how's about we quit wasting each other's time with this whole charade?

What's that supposed to mean?

I already know the answer, but I ask anyway. She chugs more shaoxingjiu before showing me a big, toothy grin.

I wonder. It's pretty obvious that everyone's first move in this Divine Selection game or whatever is gonna be to get a death grip on the other participants' names. You wanted codenames, but hey, it ain't gonna stop anyone from finding out our real names. Cause of death, too. We all died at the same time, so all it'll take is a bit of digging to find out how everyone kicked the bucket, especially when it involves people like us.

You catch my drift, right?

Yeah, yeah. No need to treat me like an idiot. I'm aware that information warfare's the name of the game here. Gotta find out one another's regret, too.

The fact you wanted to use codenames in spite of that proves you're just a small fry. You should forget all about your real name.

Everyone's regret card was handed out to other participants at random, right? That means one of 'em knows yours and one knows mine.

Well yeah, but there ain't no way someone's gonna luck out and get all three pieces of info on either of us when they're handed out at random. No one elected either of us during the first round, which serves as proof. Doesn't seem like that Indian guy has our cards, either. If he did, then he would've gone straight for us, since he knows it's best to take out the toughest competition first.

What would you have done if someone just so happened to get all your cards when they were first distributed?

Nothing much. I'd just die knowing I lost my bet and curse my fate. 'Bout it.

I really can't stand this woman sometimes. She makes you think she's got it all planned out, but she leaves the most crucial bits up to luck. Her cautious and rational actions end up getting thrown out the window when she goes wild for no discernable reason. I honestly dunno what goes on in her head. This is the first time I've come across a woman who doesn't just do whatever a man tells them to.

The worst part of it, though...

Well, either way, we're working together till its just us two. If you ain't up for it, then lemme smack you around some more.

That's what she does to resolve everything- she resorts to violence. I can't call her a nasty name out loud, so I just keep the insults to myself.

Moving on... Is there a reason we're in China when we need to be in Japan for the final day of Divine Selection?

Ain't it obvious? Much as I love Peking duck, I've never been able to eat it right here in Beijing before.

You serious...?

We've got some homework to do out here, as well.

Huh?

BGM: Intel Investigation Underway

Right before our ship got attacked, I caught wind of a top brass excutive for a Chinese food company collapsing during a meeting.

As you might've guessed, Odette's the representative for a certain... shipping company. Of course, we're talking about this woman, so ain't no way it's a plain ol' shipping company. Doesn't matter if it involves drugs or even dead bodies, they'll take any job they're paid to do. In that regard, you could call 'em smugglers. Their existence is kept in the dark, though. Likely because certain governments aren't shy about making use of them.

Well, it's not quite accurate to say they'll take up “any” job, considering Odette makes it a point to turn down anything she considers boring. Certain circumstances led to my hitching a ride on her boat, which is how we ended up cooperating in the first place.

I went to look up more info on it after we'd been brought back, but... turns out there wasn't any record of the incident at all.

H-Hold on, doesn't that mean...

I can't even take the bite of food in front of my mouth when she says that. She, on the other hand, grabs the bottle of shaoxingjiu and downs what's left in it.

I gotta keep tabs on this sort of info thanks to my line of work, so I ain't gonna forget about something like that easily. His name's Ro Chanho. I dug deeper after that and, here's the kicker, he seems to be alive and well.

Wha-?

The moment she mentions his name, the book beside her emits a strange light. It's a big, thick auburn-colored book with some gold leaf decorations on it. But there ain't no pages in it- just a big hole in the middle when you open it. I've got the same exact book, see. It's some kind of card-storing book used for Divine Selection.

Now we're talkin'.

The dull light focuses into a single point once she opens her book.

It gradually fades, and in its place is a rectangular piece of paper. Odette catches it while it's hovering in midair.

Bingo. Looks like our friend Ro Chanho is Numeral VII.

drat, that was easy...

That girl who was going on about being a goddess mentioned that the cause of all our deaths had been undone. The fact that Odette was able to notice such a paradox proves that the girl wasn't lying.

Now we gotta play the guessing game. He was a fatso, so he might've had diabetes. Which means he could've died from low blood sugar... Then again, I can't see a bigwig like him not taking the proper precautions, so... If something killed him unexpectedly, then it'd more than likely have been a stroke or heart attack.

No love from the cards, huh...

She calls it a guessing game, but she clearly isn't taking stabs in the dark. Does the fact that a card didn't appear mean she's not on the right track?

Hmm... Maybe there's some kinda condition that causes the cards to appear. How come Ro's name card never appeared before now, even though I'd learned about him earlier?

Hell if I know. Guess you gotta think a little harder if you're that unsure.

How 'bout you help me out here- Wait a minute. I thought up a few other possibilities just now, but I wasn't sure whether they were right or not...

You sure love talking to yourself.

My attempt to tease her falls on deaf ears. The grin that spreads across her face soon after bursts with confidence.

Between a stroke and a heart attack, I'd bet that he suffered the former. Wouldn't be surprising if his diabetes caused him to have one outta the blue during his meeting. How's that sound?

She directs her question toward the book, as if it'd nod back.

Amazingly enough, it does respond. It reacts the same way as when she obtained Ro's name card.

Numeral VII's cause of death was a stroke. Things went well this time, but it seems one of the rules is that you gotta believe in your answer to make a card appear. Can't expect results from blind guessing, even though it all seems kinda ambiguous.

Gotta believe in it, huh...

I should mention that Odette went through that entire process while she continued to chow down on her food.

I'd planned on going easy on the booze so I could stay rational, but I end up downing my drink as well. I figure that being stuck with her is a bad thing, but on the other hand, it might be perfect for me. This woman... is gonna be useful. It's not often that you find someone who's got the brains to match the brawn, so I should be able to get rid of anyone in my way with her around.

Why would she cooperate with me, though? Maybe she figures I have all the info I need on her, so she's doing this to make sure I don't hand anything off to the other participants. We were on the same boat when it sank, so naturally you'd think we both died the same way. And since I've got her name and cause of death, she wants to keep me in check. What she doesn't know is that I don't actually know her cause of death. She shouldn't know mine, either. We might've died when the ship was attacked, but the actual causes weren't by drowning or from fire.

In reality, the only info we have on each other is our names. Odette's just making it seem like she knows more so she can have leverage over me. Basically, this whole cooperation thing is a front so that she can get her hands on my info for when we're the last two remaining.

Heh. Now that's the kind of chowing down I like to see. Bring us the best wine you've got!

Yeah. Count me in.

The most important challenge of my life is about to begin. I ain't about to fail. And I certainly ain't gonna let her drink me under the table. We end up drinking till all the wine in the restaurant is gone. Amazingly enough, she pops open another bottle back at the hotel as a substitute for water. I'm not about to join her, so I go back to my room and sleep.

The next morning, I notice that I have Ro's card in my own book, too.

------

Cardbook has updated.

VII – Name – Cho Ranho
VII – Cause of Death – Stroke
XI – Name – Odette Malencon

VII – Name – Cho Ranho
XI – Name – Odette Malencon

Mix. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 9, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Sharp teeth still means they're human right? but it's like an.... emote?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

these aren't cute lesbians wtf

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

these aren't cute lesbians wtf

It is kind of adorable how uncomfortable she makes him.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/10 (THU), Noon
Later that day, Odette gets me to start tailing him. Needless to say, this is for the sake of getting information regarding his regret. Divine Selection takes place at 12 p.m. on Sunday, JST, so we'll be in a good spot if we manage to get all three pieces of info on him before then. As for why I'm tailing him on my own, well... Odette's down with a hangover. Not in the way you'd imagine, though. She ain't suffering in bed- she's pissed off and screaming at everyone and everything. Can't believe she's making me second-guess her usefulness just one day later.

Odette, this ain't good!

Not long after I start tailing him, I have to rush back to the hotel to get Odette. Ro's company was located in one of those fancy high-class buildings in the middle of Beijing. I lost sight of him thanks to it being so crowded, but I managed to learn his plans. A few minutes after entering the building, he made his way out. Acting as someone there on official business, I asked the front desk about his schedule, to which they replied he was leaving on a business trip.

They were hesitant about revealing the destination at first, but I managed to get them to reveal that he'd be staying in Taiwan for three days while visiting their local branch. Turns out we can hop on the same flight as him if we haul rear end over to the airport.

He's on his way to Taiwan, so get movin'! We're going after him!

I knock on her door, fully expecting her to flip out at me. Imagine my surprise when she struts out of the room allr eady to go, luggage and all. As an aside, our phones and credit cards were perfectly intact, despite our washing up ashore, so we didn't have any issue buying whatever gear we needed.

I just told the front desk that we'd be checking out.

...You what?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was fully aware of his plans when we hashed things out last night.

Why'd you get me to tail him, then?

Ain't much of a co-op if I'm doing all the ops, know what I mean? I'd planned on calling the whole thing off if you couldn't get your hands on such basic info.

She drops that bombshell on me like it's a casual greeting. The fact that she doesn't mention what she'd do with me if I failed her little test proves how twisted she is. Why do I gotta be tested in the first place?!

You're a bit too sly for your own good.

What was that?

Nothing!

We leave the hotel after I rush to get my stuff together.

…...

BGM: Chilling With Sidekicks

05/10 (THU), Night
Having made it on time to catch the same flight as Ro, we make our way to our hotel in Taiwan after landing. It's the same hotel he's staying in, so we choose a room far enough away from his, and then discuss our next move over some wine and cheese.

Gotta hand it to ya, I didn't think you'd try to find him on the flight itself.

Well, I couldn't find him in the flight's lobby since he had the nerve to fly business class. Then again, it's probably best that he did, since that stomach of his would just piss off everyone in economy. Glad I was able to upgrade to business class myself, though. Managed to tail him from the arrival lounge to his hotel because of that.

Meanwhile, I was stranded in economy... You do realize the other participants know your face, right? What would you have done if he noticed and started to panic?

He didn't seem bothered. Probably doesn't expect other participants to make their way out to China to find him. In fact, the way he's working and going about his daily life may mean that he doesn't actually believe that Divine Selection's happening.

True, most adults wouldn't believe that crap. Only reason I did is because we both washed ashore together.

She grins nihilistically before continuing.

Surely you'd have some questions about how you're still alive if you're aware that you died, though. Seems like enough to believe that this whole situation's for real.

Pretty sure you're the only one with enough screws loose to reach that conclusion. More importantly... Something's fishy about how long he's staying here, wouldn't you say?

I grab some squares of cheese as I pose that question to her. Once I confirm that she's reacted to it, I continue...

The people at his work said he'd be gone for two nights and three days, but the front desk here said he's only here for tonight.

I hope you made sure he won't find out about your snooping.

drat right I did. I started shouting at them about how he's being too noisy and that they should fix things, only for them to tell me to deal with it since he's leaving in the morning.

Hmm, I guess that works. Still, that's odd... From what I gathered, he's visiting the Taiwan branch tomorrow, and one of their factories the day after. This hotel is pretty ideal for getting to both locations, too... Oh, well. Just tail him again tomorrow. I'll do my own digging in the meantime.

Mind being a bit more specific?

Let's forget about it for now and focus on tonight's grub. I still haven't had Taiwanese food yet, so I'm curious how it stacks up against good ol' Mediterranean.

Welp, guess we're best off not rushing things and messing it all up.

We split the rest of the wine between us and finish off the cheese.

Hey, just to be clear, Mediterranean cuisine belongs to Italy and not France. If anyone's gonna compare its quality to the seafood here, then it's me.

…...

05/11 (FRI), Night
The major thing I take away from yesterday's activities is that, surprisingly, Taiwanese food ain't half bad. Yeah, they could work on their presentation a bit, but those steamed shrimp buns were delicious. Could see myself getting hooked on those rice noodles, too. Don't lemme forget the spicy stuff, either. Adding some doubanjiang and tianmianjiang really created a perfect and rich balance between sweet and sour. Oops, that's enough Odette impressions for one day.

Even though my stomach regrets eating so much last night, here I am in the hotel's parking lot early in the morning waiting for Ro. Once I see him leave in a taxi, I make sure to follow. And now I've been sitting around outside his company's building for a good part of the day. Boring as hell, but I'm used to waiting by this point. The streets of Taiwan really are an interesting sight, though. You can get a good hour's worth of entertainment from peoplewatching. Too bad I still got another seven hours left...

After what feels like an eternity, I finally spot him leaving the building.

Here we go.

I figure he'll make his way back by taxi too, but it looks like he's hoofing it instead. It's entirely possible that the people at the front desk told me he'd only be staying one night just to get rid of me. But the fact that he's not going straight back by taxi proves nothing. He could be going out for a meal with someone first- that much is normal for a corporate bigwig like him.

As it turns out, he ends up at an Italian restaurant in town. A ristorante, to be accurate. Italian restaurants are split into ristorantes, trattorias, and osterias. Ristorantes are the fanciest of the three.

Heh. At least he's got good taste.

The glass paneling makes the restaurant easy to keep an eye on, so I waltz into a cafe directly across the street. It's got glass paneling as well, so there's no danger of losing track of him. I order an espresso and dump plenty of sugar into it. It's gonna be a struggle to make this last as long as a ristorante meal, but I gotta deal with it. As far as I can tell, it seems like a real fancy joint. Looks like he's made a reservation, judging by how he gets taken to his seat by one of the staff right away. Soon after, someone takes a seat across from him. A young woman. She's wearing one of those glitzy red dresses that dirty old geezers drool over. I'm pretty sure he's got a family, but it doesn't take much for me to catch on to what this is about. She ain't my type, but there's no denying that she's a looker. Doesn't seem like a random hostess, either.

Hardly surprising, considering the kind of person he is, I guess.

Having discovered their relationship, I spend the rest of my time watching them enjoy their meal. Guess he's picked out a wine beforehand. Gotta hand it to him. Red wine like that will send any woman over the moon, assuming they've got good taste. It's just a shame that he's using his bread to wipe up the leftover pasta sauce. You're gonna make that woman feel ashamed to be with you, buddy.

The ristorante seems like it's more on the expensive end compared to the others around here, too. Chances are he started going to these types of places more often once he hit a certain age. He has the appropriate manners, but sticking to 'em and also dropping old habits can prove to be tricky. Not like anyone's gonna call him out for it, considering his age and position.

Three hours pass before they finish eating and enjoying their after-dinner espresso. I get myself ready to leave while Ro pays for the whole thing by card. Fortunately, I know exactly what their plan is after this. Probably 'cuz I'd do the same thing. Once they leave and get into a taxi, I jump into another one and follow them. They end up making their way back to the woman's apartment, so after I confirm that they've gone inside, I return to the hotel. I dunno much about Taiwanese dogs, but some breed I'd never seen before came out to greet them both when they arrived at her place.

…...

05/11 (FRI), Night
Took your drat time.

Part of the job. How'd things go on your end?

She waves her hand in dismissal. Guess she wasn't able to learn anything interesting, so now she's pissed off. Meanwhile, I'm feeling pretty great because I've gotten my hands on some crucial info.

Looks like I'm the only one who came outta this with more info, then.

Quit bragging and spit it out, rear end in a top hat.

Yup, she's pissed all right. I heave a quick sigh before explaining what I saw.

Our respectable businessman was out meeting a woman.

...Not family, I assume. His wife and three kids should still be in Beijing.

Right. She was a young one. No doubt she's his lover, considering they shared a little kiss before heading into her apartment.

Ugh. What a scumbag.

Right? The fatty acts all respectable when he's got a hot little dish on the side. Even her dog seems attached to him, so there's no doubt he visits often.

drat... But I was talking about you. What kinda person spies on a middle-aged man's affairs like that?

Look, you can't accuse me of whatever you want just 'cuz you're pissed off. Anyway, it's pretty much a given that his regret has to do with his lover.

Our last two attempts were regarding his family and work, but neither caused a card to appear. It might've been because we weren't entirely certain, but a part of me felt that we just weren't on the right track. I'm confident about this one, too, which is why I direct my comment to the book, expecting it to churn out a card for me.

C'mon! What is this crap? It's gotta be his lover!

All that follows is a brief period of absolute silence, sans the sound of the air conditioning humming away in the background.

...Looks like you didn't dig deep enough. The fact that nothing happened despite your misplaced confidence proves you're wrong.

…...

I have no comeback. All I can do is begrudgingly jam a cigarette in my mouth.

Mind going to the smoking area? I really can't handle the smell of those things.

Ugh... Guess we gotta start over. Want me to tail him again tomorrow?

She flashes me her standard grin in response.

I guess you can have fun doing that again. Meanwhile, I'm gonna make sure I get the right dirt on him this time around.

Whatever. Can't believe he's screwing around with his lover while I'm stuck here.

I find myself eyeing Odette after saying that, but... nah. I wouldn't go at it with someone like her even if she asked. I head out to have a smoke after that, a little annoyed at myself for even considering that option.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Odette looks insane. She doesn't match any other character in this game :stonk:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Just want to say I appreciate you keeping in the full text of stuff that's screenshotted. It makes for a much nicer read on mobile.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Rosalie_A posted:

Just want to say I appreciate you keeping in the full text of stuff that's screenshotted. It makes for a much nicer read on mobile.

The other two LPs I've done/am doing (one's like very close to being done, which is why I started this one already) didn't have that but reading the Katawa Shoujo LP made me realize I should've been doing that the whole time for accessibility reasons, which is why I made sure to start doing so with this one going forward :thumbsup:

Red John
Jul 12, 2018

Mix. posted:

The other two LPs I've done/am doing (one's like very close to being done, which is why I started this one already) didn't have that but reading the Katawa Shoujo LP made me realize I should've been doing that the whole time for accessibility reasons, which is why I made sure to start doing so with this one going forward :thumbsup:

It's hard to adjust from your previous two LPs :(

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/12 (SAT), Night
We leave Taiwan in the morning and check back in to the same hotel as before when we get back to Beijing. I part ways with Odette, who says she has something she wants to look into, and then I start tailing Ro again. Getting anything worthwhile regarding his regrets as he goes about his daily business proves to be a lot more difficult than expected, so I make my way back to the hotel after I've confirmed that he's returned home.

Took your time.

And where were you, exactly?

Oh, nowhere special. We're pretty much done until Sunday, so let's go and celebrate somewhere. How about the place we ate at our first day here? Starting to crave their Peking duck again.

Wait, what? You found out his regret?

Sure did. Ain't telling you, though. Last thing I need is the two of us electing him at the same time and having to share our own info.

That goddess did mention something to that effect, now that I think about it. Like, if two or more people elect the same person, they gotta reveal one piece of their own info to everyone else to gain election priority. Sure, you'll be able to get info from the person you eliminate, but you're putting way too much at risk in exchange. Odette's removing the chances of that happening to us by not telling me.

In other words, she doesn't trust me. Can't say I trust her either, though.

Anyway, how long are you gonna hang around there like a creep, geezer?

Huh?

Her sudden insult takes me aback, but she isn't actually addressing me. She is looking over to the door I'd entered from. I approach the door, praying that the worst-case scenario in my head won't take place, and then open it.

I see my cover was blown quite fast.
Ro's VA is Koba Yoshiyuki; most of his other credits include dubbed work for Western TV/movies, a role in the J-Drama Shokubutsu Danshi Veranda, and, if IMDB is telling the truth, he did minor voice acting for the video games Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5.

Ro Chanho, the very man we've been following around, is standing right there. That means he's the one who has been tailing me all along.

When did you...?

I admit,the fact that you two are working together took me by surprise. At first, I thought you were part of the press trying to dig into my slush funds, but that didn't seem fitting for a thug like yourself.

Did you just call me a thug?

He continues talking, blatantly ignoring me.

I assume you're the one responsible for all this, Odette Malencon?

Wow, I guess even you're smart enough to realize that I'm the brains of this operation.

That's irrelevant!

He's right. The important bit is that he called her by name. Meaning he's in possession of her name card. He made that clear in an attempt to bait a response from her. Chances are she realizes that as well, which is why she responded the way she did.

I did find it difficult to swallow the whole dream nonsense, but one can't help but believe it when someone they saw in a dream winds up on the same flight as them. That goes double for a woman who stands out as much as you do.

Yeah, she really does stand out. Not only is she pretty drat tall, but she's also built like a tank. You could say she's got looks, but those don't stand out near as much.

Heh. You ain't wrong about that.

What're you grinning at, punk?

You may want to wipe the smirk off your face. Surely you understand why I'm here, don't you?

Hmph.

Let's work something out. I have a family to support, so I can't allow myself to die right now.

I take it you know either my cause of death or my regret, then.

She takes a deep breath before shaking her head.

It can't be both. You'd have killed me during the first round if that were the case.

Pleased to see that you have your wits about you.

Hold on. If you were eavesdropping, then you should know that we've got all your info.

Indeed. That's why my proposition is as follows... Miss Odette, I need you to promise that you won't elect me. If you don't, then I'll tell this little thug here everything I have on you.

His expression is deathly serious. I have to stop myself from cracking a smile. The room is silent as can be, but not for the reason he is hoping. At long last, Odette shatters the illusion when she bursts out in laughter.

*WHAM*

She follows that up by punching him square in the face, which sends him flying over to the opposite side of the hall. This dude must weigh over 200 pounds- a true testament to her ridiculous strength.

Ugh... Have you lost your mind...?

She saunters over to him, takes a seat, and laughs right in his face. He's holding his cheek after that punch, but it looks to me like his nose took more damage, considering it's gushing blood.

BGM: Odette

Hahahahaha! THAT'S your proposition? Gimme a break.

So you're fine with me revealing your information? Your little cooperation will crumble right away if I do.

Just try it, fatty. Know that I'll have this 'thug' kill your whole family if you do.

Um...?

She punches the floor as her way of telling me to keep my mouth shut.

Let's say your little plan works. Did you ever consider the idea of him making it through to the end? Your family wouldn't be coming back to life anytime soon if that happened. Hell, not just your family. We'll get your little regret to join them.

You're beyond insane...

Hahaha! Shut it, you disgusting piece of trash.

*SMACK*

She stands up and kicks him straight in the gut. Gotta say, even I think she's overdoing it a bit.

You're acting way too big for your boots. I want everything to go nice and smooth, so just give up and resign yourself to death. If you wanna make propositions, then make sure you get some real info on me first. Enough to protect yourself if I elect you.

You insolent little...!

A real businessman wouldn't try to make something out of nothing, they'd take something small and turn it into an empire.

She grabs him by the collar while she spits out her insults. All he can do in response is close his eyes and turn his head away.

Go write your will or something. Not that anyone'll see it after you're gone.

Once she finishes, she motions for me to go back into the room with her. There is plenty I want to call her out on, but... the last thing I wanna do is go against her will right now. It's like I've said before. She's the type of person who tries to ultimately solve everything through violence.

Once we're back in the room, she acts like nothing just happened.

Anyway, let's go get some grub.

R-Right.

This woman really is nuts. The mafia might do some shady stuff now and then, but we still have some attachment to society's norms, considering we dip our hands in regular business to a certain extent. Meanwhile, people like her who live by the rules of the sea lack any such attachments. That realization helps to explain why even a mafioso like myself can be surprised by someone's insanity.

Ro has outright vanished by the time we leave the hotel to go get some food. I actually feel pretty bad when I think about how he's probably spending what little time he has left with his family. That being said, the fact that I'm here enjoying some food and booze despite it all proves how messed up I am, too.

Once we've satisfied our stomachs, Odette hits me with a threatening gaze.

Just to be clear. Don't you dare try and contact him in secret, you hear me? If you do, then... Let's just say I know how to make people wish they were dead.

She says this like it's a perfectly acceptable topic to bring up during a meal.

Tch... Yeah, yeah. We'll keep this alliance going til it's just the two of us left.

Oh, so now you're gonna act like the head honcho, huh?

Bah! Come on, you know what I meant. Just don't hit me, all right? I'm gonna go talk to Ro if you do.

Hahaha! Now that's a sense of humor I can appreciate.

She lets out a raucous laugh, but I can tell it's phony. Odette's the kind of person who walks a thin line at all times while making sure that everyone else thinks otherwise. Not that I'm one to talk when I do the same myself. She says she wants to avoid us both electing Ro, but another reason she's refusing to tell me his regret is because she knows there's a chance he has info on her. The fact that I've only realized such a simple truth now proves that I'm still in no position to get the advantage over her. Jumping ship to Ro's side would do more worse than good for me, too.

So basically, I'm best off remaining her ally.

Gotta say, it feels great to smack around big guys like him. Should've given him another one for the hell of it.

You were enjoying every moment of that, weren't you?

Oh, you could tell? Honestly, it's hard to beat the rush you get when you know someone's life is in your hands.

You'd have to be a real dumbass to earn the wrath of someone this insane.

Having finished our business, all that's left to do is wait for the second round to start.

------

Cardbook has updated.

VII – Name – Ro Chanho

Mix. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 11, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chanho, more like Shambo

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
I’m a bit confused by the retroactive-death bit. (Or I guess retroactive non-not-death since they’re currently retroactively not dead?)

For example, if Mr. Victim here (I’m going to guess his regret is a kid, for the record) loses in this next round then what will these two chuckleheads retroactively have been doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Dav posted:

For example, if Mr. Victim here (I’m going to guess his regret is a kid, for the record) loses in this next round then what will these two chuckleheads retroactively have been doing?

The story will get a bit more into what the post-reversal looks like later on with a different context, but in a broad sense, assuming Ro dies in the next election: while Ro's actions during these two weeks will get erased (and those of anyone close to him, such as his mistress and his family, who will most likely be retroactively grieving for their deceased father/husband/lover instead), because Federico and Odette are participants (you could call them "removed from time", to borrow a term from another game) they'll still retain their memories of what "happened" (and has since been erased), and their own actions will have stayed the same for the most part (i.e. Federico will spend an hour or two sitting in a coffee shop still, but presumably the fight with Ro that happened in this update would have never happened, even if Odette and Federico still remember it happening).