Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm sure it varies by brand, but for me the tactility of browns was so subtle that it ended up feeling like an almost unintentional rattle, and reds in comparison just felt like the same thing but with that looseness smoooothed out.

Someone itt told me this exact thing would happen and I should just start at reds, and I did not listen.

This is very accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
:whitewater:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, it's this annoying and unfortunate thing, where the entry level linear option (Reds) is mostly pretty good, but if you do actually like and want a real tactile there is no good option that isn't going to involve throwing anywhere from 30-100 dollars (depending on exactly how dumb you want to get) at a set of premium switches that will not under any circumstance be offered with your board.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the Kailh box royal tactiles aren't... terribly? uncommon, and they are half the price of the top tier Bobas, or 1/4 the price of Zeal's junk. That's why I think the basic gmmk barebones with 30$ of whatever switch you want is the best starter board around. Or used to be before there were way more modular options.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gwaihir posted:

I think the Kailh box royal tactiles aren't... terribly? uncommon, and they are half the price of the top tier Bobas, or 1/4 the price of Zeal's junk. That's why I think the basic gmmk barebones with 30$ of whatever switch you want is the best starter board around. Or used to be before there were way more modular options.

Sure. And that’s the 30 end of the 30-100. But basically no board you’re going to buy is going to have anything other than Red/Brown/Blue, and then maybe some other exotic linear options on gamer boards as stock options for the most part.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well, you can get kailh's good tactiles from on a gmmk stock, too, but in general yeah the point stands.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Had Box Royals in my keyboard for a while, were noticeably more tactile than the MX Browns of my previous keyboard but still not much to say about them. Replaced them for Box Navies, never looked back.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
navy crew knows whats up.

I could never ever use those before all the fancy noise cancelling software became widespread, but now there's nothing holding them back!!!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm sure it varies by brand, but for me the tactility of browns was so subtle that it ended up feeling like an almost unintentional rattle, and reds in comparison just felt like the same thing but with that looseness smoooothed out.

Someone itt told me this exact thing would happen and I should just start at reds, and I did not listen.

Cherry Browns or some other brand?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yes, Cherry Browns vs Cherry Reds in the same keyboard. I actually had both versions on my desk at the same time at one point.

I also tried whatever switch brand comes in the RK84 (their website sells Kailh separately, but the board listings are unclear whether they use those or something cheaper), and those Browns felt essentially the same with just slightly worse QA

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's not the worst color scheme in the world or anything, but Noctua still doesn't seem to understand that most people don't like their weird beige and brown. So now there's keycaps.
https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-mt3-noctua-keycap-set?umode=guest_open

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rexxed posted:

It's not the worst color scheme in the world or anything, but Noctua still doesn't seem to understand that most people don't like their weird beige and brown. So now there's keycaps.

It's me the guy that likes the Noctua Brown.

(But I hate MT3, so no keycaps for me)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

(But I hate MT3, so no keycaps for me)

HERESY!
:commissar:

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
If it makes you feel any better, the guy said he was working on a cherry profile one

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MT3 is so divisive - is it the way they're scooped? What's everybody's favorite profiles?

SA is too sloped.
R3-only SA is pretty much perfect.
I'm sad to say I don't have a keyboard with GMK
MT3 (especially with super homing) feels good to me
I haven't had a chance to try KAT or DSA.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

MT3 is so divisive - is it the way they're scooped? What's everybody's favorite profiles?

SA is too sloped.

XDA is for people with actually large hands and who can touch type.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation of the KBD67, that's what we ended up going with. Very happy with the result, there's probably going to be lots of modding and keycap purchases in the near future. (first up, that spacebar)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gay Retard posted:

SA is too sloped.

Cherry is king for me. I do not like the aggressively scooped/Sloped SA/MT3 sets I've tried. That said, I picked up an OSA set a while back and have been using it for a month or so now, and actually really like it. Might be a new fave in the making?

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
MT3 feels amazing.

I can attest to browns just feeling like a scratchy linear. My first mechanical keyboard was a WASD v2 with browns, and I have to say I regret not choosing linears.

I mostly lurk this thread, but wanted to give a few highlights from the last 6 months.

I’m still using the wasd keyboard, and wanted a numpad. So, I ordered a LFKpad and a case from aliexpress. The board just wouldn’t be recognized by my desktop for some reason - couldn’t flash qmk.

I gave up and decided to dive into kit building and learning how to solder. Right around that time, Murphpad group buy was running, so I got one of those.
Good thing it was cheap, because I really made a bunch of soldering mistakes over the past 4 months as I was slowly building it while learning. Highlights include: burning my first soldering tip/cartridge to a nice shiny black tint, wondering why it wouldn’t conduct heat, learning to tin the tip properly, messing up the smd led somehow, so only half of them were on properly, while the other half being on max setting bright white, soldering solid the sockets for both the microcontroller and the switches, defeating the whole purpose of socketing.
Finally, I got it all set up, used it for 30 minutes, and proceeded to rip off the micro usb off the controller.

All in all, 11/10, would solder again.

Currently, I’m working on a nibble 65 and a tidbit pad, both of which will have bit-c microcontrollers with usb c that is through hole mounted. So hopefully that’s more robust. Going to use alpaca switches and dev/tty caps. Planning on using 0305 sockets this time, not 7305.

Oh and apparently my LCK75 kit is in the mail. I thought it would never ship.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Rexxed posted:

I love it, except that MiTo "designed" it, so I probably won't get it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I giggle at keyboard drama every time it crops up in this thread. :allears:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I've always gotten a chuckle out of how stubbornly bad Noctua's "iconic" colors are and how resolutely they've stuck to them over the years. This almost circles around to "so bad it's good," but not when it's the thing that sits at the center of my entire work/play space and defines the vibe. It would clash with my vibrant desk mat so hard

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Unsinkabear posted:

I've always gotten a chuckle out of how stubbornly bad Noctua's "iconic" colors are and how resolutely they've stuck to them over the years. This almost circles around to "so bad it's good," but not when it's the thing that sits at the center of my entire work/play space and defines the vibe. It would clash with my vibrant desk mat so hard

the Noctua color scheme owns. Just lean into the full late 70's aesthetic.

See also, the unfairly maligned Brown Zune, which was absolutely awesome, except for being a Zune.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Do Cherry MX Browns and Gateron Browns feel significantly different?

See a lot of (generic) hate for brown switches lately, not sure which ones are the source of that ire (or if they're so similar that there is no distinction)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zarin posted:

they're so similar that there is no distinction)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zarin posted:

Do Cherry MX Browns and Gateron Browns feel significantly different?

See a lot of (generic) hate for brown switches lately, not sure which ones are the source of that ire (or if they're so similar that there is no distinction)

Not much difference between cherry / gateron / kailh / outemu browns. Cherry browns used to be scratchy until they wore in, not sure if they've been retooled or something. Kailh box browns seem to be slightly better than normal browns. I have gateron silent browns in my office keyboard and they're perfectly fine.

They've got a terrible reputation with enthusiasts because they have an extremely minimal tactile bump. Common joke is "they might as well be linears". Youtube funny keyboard man Glarses has a whole thing about hating cherry browns.

LTT did blind keyboard testing with staff members and a whole bunch of (non-enthusiast) people chose brown switches.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mewse posted:

Not much difference between cherry / gateron / kailh / outemu browns. Cherry browns used to be scratchy until they wore in, not sure if they've been retooled or something. Kailh box browns seem to be slightly better than normal browns. I have gateron silent browns in my office keyboard and they're perfectly fine.

They've got a terrible reputation with enthusiasts because they have an extremely minimal tactile bump. Common joke is "they might as well be linears". Youtube funny keyboard man Glarses has a whole thing about hating cherry browns.

LTT did blind keyboard testing with staff members and a whole bunch of (non-enthusiast) people chose brown switches.

Ah okay! I'm not sure if liking BOX Navies makes me an enthusiast or not, but I do like heavier switches with pronounced tactility.

That being said, as I'm in the market for a budget hotswap option, I also recognize I can't be TOO picky and can always upgrade later. In the meantime, almost anything except maybe Romer-G will be less awful to type on than this low-profile Dell board work provided.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Ah okay! I'm not sure if liking BOX Navies makes me an enthusiast or not, but I do like heavier switches with pronounced tactility.

That being said, as I'm in the market for a budget hotswap option, I also recognize I can't be TOO picky and can always upgrade later. In the meantime, almost anything except maybe Romer-G will be less awful to type on than this low-profile Dell board work provided.

Nah, it just means you are one of those sick, sick people who likes buckling springs.

As for the hotswap options, do you just want a home for the navies? Or some other purpose? Also any size prefernces?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure if liking BOX Navies makes me an enthusiast or not

It does

quote:

That being said, as I'm in the market for a budget hotswap option

Don't you have a GMMK already?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Gay Retard posted:

SA is too sloped.

I genuienly can’t stomach using anything other than MT3 after getting used to them.

When I’m forced to use a keyboard with Cherry profile keys I make a crapload of typos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

First impressions of the Gateron Optical Browns: I don't like them. At first I thought there was no tactile actuation point, but I think it's there, it's just very mushy. Idk if I would've preferred Reds, though. The blue switches I had in the previous keyboard felt really nice, but were too loud.

I'll try it a bit longer, but using these kinda feels like it's missing the point of having mechanical switches in the first place.

The new rainbows are nice, though.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This thing has a microphone?! There's a light mode that reacts to sounds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's gonna take a while for me to decipher this GK6XPlus software

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

.Z. posted:

Nah, it just means you are one of those sick, sick people who likes buckling springs.

As for the hotswap options, do you just want a home for the navies? Or some other purpose? Also any size prefernces?

Navies are in a GMMK for my WFH setup. I used to use a Logitech G15 for gaming and a CODE for WFH, but when the G15 died during COVID I stole my CODE with MX Greens for gaming and took my GMMK from work to use for WFH.

Now that I've changed roles and am in a different office setup, I'm not sure I want to subject my officemate to Navies. =[

I mean, I do. But I don't too. I've considered getting another GMMK but then I'd need to get keycaps and then I'd be looking for shine-thru PBT and . . . I'm just not sure I want to do that to my budget lol

Edit: Aside from using both a manual and electric typewriter in grade school, my first computer was a 1997 or 1998 Acer Aspire, and I think that board had Alps buckling springs in it. Real sad I got talked into getting rid of that keyboard; I'd probably have tried to use it by now otherwise.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 15, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

.Z. posted:

You mean awesome people.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rollie Fingers posted:

I genuienly can’t stomach using anything other than MT3 after getting used to them.

When I’m forced to use a keyboard with Cherry profile keys I make a crapload of typos.

It's a shame MT3 moved away from PBT - it seems like most of the sets they're releasing are doubleshot ABS nowadays. I've got a set of PBT MT3 Serika keycaps with a super homing row that I'm eager to put on a RAMA Kara soya that I have coming in the mail.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does a switch exist that has a Blue-like click, but isn't as loud? Or am I Goldilocks asking for the impossible?

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

Rinkles posted:

Does a switch exist that has a Blue-like click, but isn't as loud? Or am I Goldilocks asking for the impossible?

Using a clicky switch you like with O-rings might work for what you are asking. Otherwise, you are kind of getting into silent tactile territory in which case I would say Boba U4 or Zilent V2.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I kind of bought DSA by accident for the keycaps I got to replace the stock ones on the Keychron C1, and I don't mind them. The spherical keycap top scoop reminds me more of old typewriters than anything, but I don't hate it. The space between the top of the keycaps being a little wider apart feels closer to the spacing on a Model M, although they don't have that spherical scoop. They're a little tall feeling but it's not a huge amount and not a deal breaker for me at all. I'm about to set up a new desk and rearrange my computers and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep using the CM Quickfire with greens as my main keyboard or switch to something else yet. I think my tertiary PC is going to switch from a TG3 cop car board to the Noppo Choc Mini, but I also might switch in the Durgod K320 instead. I like the K320 except for the sharp rear end space bar, but I may just flip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

It's a shame MT3 moved away from PBT - it seems like most of the sets they're releasing are doubleshot ABS nowadays. I've got a set of PBT MT3 Serika keycaps with a super homing row that I'm eager to put on a RAMA Kara soya that I have coming in the mail.

I wonder if there is some kind of color limitation they ran into for MT3 with PBT. All the PBT sets I've seen are mostly white in color. /dev/tty, Serika, Godspeed, and the upcoming LOTR themed ones are all white/off-white dominant color sets.