Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
what a sad fuckin hill to die on.

In happier news, my Kickstarter is entering the final 48 hours and just hit the big stretch goal doubling the deck to 100 cards :woop: Currently have just over 1500 followers on the project too, so hoping for a good surge of conversions as KS sends out the notifications for the end of campaign stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollthedicegames/the-dungeon-master-deck

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah my favorite dice are plain black with large numbers in white.

Mine are plain white with large numbers in black, so clearly we must fight to the death.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm not being weird. It's the same as any other poo poo bastard kickstarting a premium unique product that they got from Alibaba for pennies on the pound.

You are being weird about it. Everything you said after "I'm not being weird" is the part where you're being weird. The intensity of your reaction doesn't match up with what you're angry about.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Anyway I don't get why people love buying new dice so much unless there's something special about them, and that threshold is fairly high for me, which is why I own really really tiny metal dice, spirited away dice, and boring opaque dice with one colour for the body and one for the pips or numbers. I am really glad I am not infected with that particular strain of goblinisation.

:\ I just like to collect dice. I'm sure you've at some point in your life collected something, be it stamps, coins, tickets, pictures, pins, etc. I don't know why it's so hard to understand why someone who likes to play games would also like collecting something like dice. There's no need to be so mean and snobby about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
:siren: Incoming Goon Project! :siren:

The Kickstarter for Ariadne and Bob begins tomorrow!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835460386/ariadne-and-bob

Ariadne and Bob is a 2+ player roleplaying game about a know-it-all and her trusty sidekick going on adventures and getting in trouble. Ariadne can be condescending at times, but her ego is not entirely undeserved. Bob is Ariadne's long-suffering partner. The Pinky to her Brain, Morty to her Rick, the Sherman to her Peabody, etc.

I've hired Vel Mini, Ettin, Austin Ramsay, and Jason Pitre to write some playsets for the game, and I'm talking to a couple more people about maybe joining in. The bulk of the art will be done by Ferrinus. And for fans of Strike!, I am also throwing in The Ogre, a pair of classes by Countblanc, as it's very on-theme for the project. (If you have already seen The Ogre in the old playtest packet, this will be a playtested, revised and improved version of the Ogre.)

This game is an absolute blast to play, and it requires no prep at all. My group has been playing it whenever we have an absence from our main game, and it's perfect. We can bust it out on short notice, it works great with low player counts, and it's built for 1-shots so we can get in a complete story in one session.

You gotta get this game, and put some money in the pockets of some fellow goons (and a non-goon or two)! Please share it around.

Also, check out this awesome cover art by Ferrinus!

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 14, 2021

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

So where did they steal the oversized spindown D12s from to randomize their faces? I get that the big D4 cat dice are just stolen from old copies of Khemet that they had lying around, and luckily those already had random faces, so they just need to cast Alter Acrylic to put a kitty on it, pity they won't match the colors of the rest of the dice in the set. I just can't figure out where they're sourcing those 12s...

ETA: fuckin A that looks cool, Jimbozig! Let's not let a lovely derail distract from cool creators.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 14, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sherlock already solved the mystery, it’s all just Alibaba repackages :lol:

EDIT: I’m pretty jaded but calling a small time creator a “poo poo bastard” and claiming they’re not actually making said thing is kinda sad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

this rules

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

homullus posted:

The older your players, the better these are. They're also great for players of all ages new to RPGs, because you can tell them to roll "the red one" rather than "the weighted d12."

I color coded all of my dice when I started playing Dungeon Crawl Classics and I haven't gone back.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I have played this twice and (1) it was really funny both times, and (2) the cover really captures the dynamic of the game. Very excited to tell Gepetto that it's a real boy now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FirstAidKite posted:

:\ I just like to collect dice. I'm sure you've at some point in your life collected something, be it stamps, coins, tickets, pictures, pins, etc. I don't know why it's so hard to understand why someone who likes to play games would also like collecting something like dice. There's no need to be so mean and snobby about it.
I only mean that people with broader or different tastes in dice are more goblin than me in the most affectionate of ways. So many of the varieties just look the same to me, I wish I could see beauty and joy in more of them.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

El Fideo posted:

Their dice bags are also of a real lovely quality.

Got a link? I know some people who'd love a new dice bag.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Annnnd Interceptor funded this time. I am very happy to see this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Played an online "campaign" of Townsfolk Tussle and I don't know how I missed that Kickstarter. I hope they do have a second one eventually :sigh:.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shikoku: 1889 hit its initial set of stretch goals, over 100k.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

TitusGroen posted:

Got a link? I know some people who'd love a new dice bag.

Here's their website:

https://www.blackoakworkshop.com

Mostly the stock on there is what's leftover from their most recent kickstarter, so don't forget to check out their current kickstarter if you want the cat one(which is included with the higher tier of the cat dice pledge).

And because the photos on their shop are rear end, here are a couple shots of one I got from them:

This is the Green Man bag, no longer available. Seems like good embroidery. The outer fabric is a very pleasant...I wanna say microsuede? The inside is some kinda nylon satin, very slippery and shiny. Good size, It could easily hold a half dozen sets of dice, ten if you want to cram them in there.

ETA: Here's an ad from their black friday sale that shows more of the bags they had.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2021

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Jimbozig posted:

:siren: Incoming Goon Project! :siren:

The Kickstarter for Ariadne and Bob begins tomorrow!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835460386/ariadne-and-bob

Ariadne and Bob is a 2+ player roleplaying game about a know-it-all and her trusty sidekick going on adventures and getting in trouble. Ariadne can be condescending at times, but her ego is not entirely undeserved. Bob is Ariadne's long-suffering partner. The Pinky to her Brain, Morty to her Rick, the Sherman to her Peabody, etc.

I've hired Vel Mini, Ettin, Austin Ramsay, and Jason Pitre to write some playsets for the game, and I'm talking to a couple more people about maybe joining in. The bulk of the art will be done by Ferrinus. And for fans of Strike!, I am also throwing in The Ogre, a pair of classes by Countblanc, as it's very on-theme for the project. (If you have already seen The Ogre in the old playtest packet, this will be a playtested, revised and improved version of the Ogre.)

This game is an absolute blast to play, and it requires no prep at all. My group has been playing it whenever we have an absence from our main game, and it's perfect. We can bust it out on short notice, it works great with low player counts, and it's built for 1-shots so we can get in a complete story in one session.

You gotta get this game, and put some money in the pockets of some fellow goons (and a non-goon or two)! Please share it around.

This looks brilliant, and I've just backed it. I hope it all goes well for you!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

December has been Hell Month for me, so I haven't been posting much - I still owe a trip report on Merchants (It's great)

Won't be around all weekend soooo

:siren: 48hr warning on Weather Machine, the new Lacerda
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/weather-machine-by-vital-lacerda-and-ian-otoole

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Chai and its expansion High Tea arrived which is swell, glad they've made some progress despite pandemic shipping being a pain in the rear end.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Shikoku: 1889 hit its initial set of stretch goals, over 100k.

Backed this a few days ago. It looks perfect for our group.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Annnnd Interceptor funded this time. I am very happy to see this.

Same. I am not happy that the first go around on it failed, but I do like all the improvements we were able to get done for this one. The art and miniatures look a lot more polished.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hahahahahahaha

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sndn/silent-night-deadly-night-the-game?ref=discovery_category_newest

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:prepop: :eyepop: :eyepoop: :ibadpop: :popeye: :gowron: :captainpop: :chanpop: :shittypop: :elongate: :bernpop:

What I'm trying to say is :psyboom:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Buying 12 copies for my next 11 years of secret santa.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gonna wait for the sequel game because "GARBAGE DAY" is the only part of those movies I ever cared about.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Advanced rule to make the game more differenter every time: You and Billy have opposed spins. You can't hurt each other unless you both get the same result! If you get different results, SPIN AGAIN for more excitement and TENSION.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1/3 chance of doing the work and losing anyway lol

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ilmucche posted:

1/3 chance of doing the work and losing anyway lol

but enough about TG kickstarters -

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you didn't back John Company 2nd Edition but you're interested in seeing how it's coming out, they made the official Tabletop Simulator workshop mod public, since the game is near pre-production and pretty well tested at this point: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2474733631

Rules can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y65pqk6URTeEGXA66Tjshpbas17iRcAD (main rulebook)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1SsNhzxi7wrMfiVZV50dufEEURhUb19ew (Solo AI handbook)

I've been playtesting it for months on their Discord, and I think it definitely has some of that Cole Wehrle magic.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you didn't back John Company 2nd Edition but you're interested in seeing how it's coming out, they made the official Tabletop Simulator workshop mod public, since the game is near pre-production and pretty well tested at this point: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2474733631

Rules can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y65pqk6URTeEGXA66Tjshpbas17iRcAD (main rulebook)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1SsNhzxi7wrMfiVZV50dufEEURhUb19ew (Solo AI handbook)

I've been playtesting it for months on their Discord, and I think it definitely has some of that Cole Wehrle magic.

it's me I'm the guy who very much prefers the striped ribbon 1st edition board

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Still waiting for an update from Blacklist miniatures series 1. At this point it will be a whole year since backing soon.

What a disaster.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Still waiting for an update from Blacklist miniatures series 1. At this point it will be a whole year since backing soon.

What a disaster.
Yep, same. I really hope they deliver their unfulfilled projects or else I’m out a pretty penny.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Finally got my Batman stuff yesterday. It was an insanely late shitshow, but honestly the presentation of this set is really nice. It's a shame it'll never see retail or any more content or anything, because the set is gorgeous.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

What a disaster.

They just posted an update that… doesn’t really make me feel better.

quote:

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the vagueness of our last update as we were not in a position to get into specific details due to the sensitive nature of our relationship with our partners. Although this update is to help clarify things, please note that I cannot disclose information beyond what is shared today for a variety of business-related reasons.

The Situation

Essentially, the extremely inflated (and ever-infating) costs of shipping anything this last year caught up to our Fantasy Series 1 project (our largest project to date) and our partner had to pay exorbitant costs upfront for us (as contracted) in order to ensure the large amount of containers/product we were waiting on (10 containers for the US/CA/ROW alone) not only made it safely to their destination port via frequently-disturbed boat rides, but also were released into their custody (i.e. to avoid product lingering at port and risk being destroyed). This is standard operating procedure and normally isn’t a problem, but as you know this year the cost of shipping anything around the world has been so high that the fees paid in advance were higher than anyone could anticipate, added to the difference from inflated costs of having completed fulfillment from Asia, Australia/New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Eruope. Therefore, our account must be settled completely before these final items can be shipped out. The fact of the matter is that it will take us more than one installment to cover the high cost, thus the delay. I am working on a number of options to accelerate the process required to settle this and am confident that items will be released sometime early next year. To be clear, although the shipping inflation has taken everyone by surprise, we will not ask our backers to bear the burden of paying more for shipping Fantasy Series 1.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought that goblin D&D 5e adventure because it was cheap and looked super cute.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Howdy everybody! A couple years ago I successfully funded my game, DEAD IN THE WEST over on Kickstarter. I learnt a lot of things from it, like:
lol you cannot make a game in six months
you cannot do the art/writing//editing/typesetting all yourself you moron
balancing games is hard
you're doing all this while you have a fulltime job what an asshhole
COVID more like SLOWVID
Shipping is how much?!?!
printers will gently caress you and you must take it
lol seriously thought six months was a good timeframe

Anyway! My game was 100% finished last year, with physical copies finally shipping early this year. I am incredibly proud of my game. People seem to really love it, the feedack and reception has been wonderful. If you're curious about the game, the podcast RPG Roulette just finished a long campaign using the alpha version of the rules they got for backing the project.

DEAD IN THE WEST is a game of TALL TALES and HIGH STAKES set in the Mythic Old West! It's a game that built around creating and playing with larger-than-life characters, with mechanics that emphasise character personalities and dynamics. The game is also good at keeping you on your toes - you never know when you might need to interrupt your GM with a well-timed "Quickdraw!" The book is massive, and eautifully illustrated by a number of wonderful artists that really brought the project to life.

If you're interested in the game, you can find the PDF and physical copy for sale on Gumroad here! Use the code "goonsgowest" for a holiday discount!

My folks have had a really rough time this Christmas, and while there's no way I'm ever ganna make bank with my silly game, I'd still like to shift as many copies as I can to help them out. I've kind of wanted to make a thread in this forum, but am a bit self-conscious about self-promotion. If anyone has any advice on selling these or questions about the game, please let me know!

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 23, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Being self-conscious about self-promotion is both entirely normal, and can be a hard thing to get past.

If it helps, think of it not as you trying to badger someone into a purchase like a rep on a used car lot. This is how it feels, though.

Think of it rather as helping folks discover that your work exists (folks who genuinely would be and are interested in what you made, but who would not know about it without help.)

The first -- for people like you (and me) is a mental distortion. The second is much closer to reality!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Alright, made my big post!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Alright, just backed Shikoku 1889 - I've never played an 18xx game before, and this seems like a decent entry point that might actually hit the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CitizenKeen posted:

Alright, just backed Shikoku 1889 - I've never played an 18xx game before, and this seems like a decent entry point that might actually hit the table.

It is absolutely a decent entry point yes. A great entry point, I'd argue.