Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In my mind's eye I am attempting to construct a version of Grime where it's a gritty 2Edgy sequel to Gris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Is it possible that we could see them add the touchscreen controls to the other Picross games? Just such a nice quality of life feature, pining for the days of Picross DS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I backed Sea of Stars on Kickstarter so I'm looking forward to it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Parkasaurus owns but idk how it will translate to console. Using a mouse for that kind of game makes is so easy, I feel a controller interface will slow it down so much so I'm hoping it runs well

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did they announce silksong yet

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah. February 14th, 2019.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

omori is insanely good and now that it's on switch you have no excuse not to play it. please play omori.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
excited to finally play omori, definitely seems like my kind of game

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

We need a moratorium on 'wholesome', 'Earthbound inspired' and overuse of pastel colours.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I backed Sea of Stars on Kickstarter so I'm looking forward to it.

the messenger rocks so i'm excited for it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Excited for Oink games, I think it’s worth it for Fake Artists and Startups alone

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

jackhunter64 posted:

We need a moratorium on 'wholesome', 'Earthbound inspired' and overuse of pastel colours.

It doesn't look wholesome but I mostly agree. Or at least if they're doing the Mother thing at least try to be a bit original?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only thing in there that looked the least but interesting to me was the Chrono Trigger ripoff, but the writing in The Messenger was the worst part and if this is the same people in not really that optimistic

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only thing in there that looked the least but interesting to me was the Chrono Trigger ripoff, but the writing in The Messenger was the worst part and if this is the same people in not really that optimistic
maybe this one won't have entire jordan peterson speeches in it

anyway I always think the indies look cool but I get the most out of playing demos of them because that really tells me if i will vibe with a game or not

luckily the next Steam demo fest isn't that far off (february)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

maybe this one won't have entire jordan peterson speeches in it

lmao what

I never played The Messenger but I am pretty sure it was about ninjas.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GRIME Is pretty drat cool. Buy it!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ragequit posted:

lmao what

I never played The Messenger but I am pretty sure it was about ninjas.
the shopkeeper quotes giant rear end jordan peterson rants unironically the more you talk to him and calls him jordan the wise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jackhunter64 posted:

thanks i'll let them know

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

the shopkeeper quotes giant rear end jordan peterson rants unironically the more you talk to him and calls him jordan the wise

lmao JP is just irresistible to terminally online dumboys and pops up in some weird places

feel like there's a lot of overlap with JP fans and crypto bros

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

jackhunter64 posted:

definitely prefer stuff to be inspired by earthbound than most other games. especially with poo poo like undertale coming out of it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm surprised "sea of stars" isn't already the title of a SNES RPG from SquareSoft or something

Perhaps a name like Ocean of Stars is something that might exist.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chicory is fantastic, by the same dev as wandersong and even better on every level. hope you can scribble with the touch screen

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

That's a yikes. Let's hope that garbage stays out:

Their site posted:

Is it the same team as The Messenger?
Yes, the core team from The Messenger has fully transitioned over to Sea of Stars. As making an RPG was a bigger undertaking for us, we ramped up the team to 23 full time members, all cut from the same cloth, and working from our studio located in downtown Quebec City, Canada.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least in The Messenger the Petersen quote only happened if you repeatedly tried to open a box he told you not to, so good have to waste time to even see it and it may have been a troll

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Conservative propaganda in video games is never just a troll, buddy

Like haha check out this hateful and actively harmful rhetoric that we put in here for a joke lol we are such scamps!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

definitely prefer stuff to be inspired by earthbound than most other games. especially with poo poo like undertale coming out of it

You're right Undertale was poo poo.

I sort of kid. I know it's popular, and I don't want to be the guy making fun of it for that. The battles were definitely not my thing, I do not like bullet-hell (one of the things putting me off of Cuphead incidentally) and the writing felt too... on-the-nose? So many lines felt like eye-winkingly "Aren't I scamp?" that it put me off pretty hard. It felt like it was trying to hard to be cute and quirky, not natural.

I only beat it once to be fair, but it certainly didn't hold me long enough to want to try again. I keep telling myself I should, maybe there's something I missed, but who has time.

Same thing happened with me and Infinite Jest. I read it and was generally unimpressed. It was fine, but I didn't get what all the noise was about. I certainly won't be re-reading it though due to length alone. Which is a pity. I don' t like feeling like I'm not getting something.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I agree about Undertale, I don't mind games that are cute and quirky as long as they aren't trying to beat you over the head with being cute and quirky and a lot of indie games are going down that route since Undertale got popular

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I thought Undertale was cool and I really liked the bullet hell turn based battle system hybrid, makes me wonder why more turn-based RPGs don't get playful like this and blend in other genres

Also, I think I paid like $20 for it so I thought it was really good for its price. Definitely trying hard to be quirky but with such great art and music, I think it gets a pass.

Anyways, I got around 12 hours of gameplay out of it and really enjoyed my playthrough. The weirdos who are really into it make me uncomfortable though, and I haven't thought of the game much since then. Still, I think it's status as a classic is justified even if it's not your cup of tea

The music was so good!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
woa a game where the monsters are quirky and you can talk to them. how original *tosses smtv in trash*

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Idk the demons in smtv mostly just request 1 x ligma

Then they piss in my face and run away with my hard earned macca

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My favorite part of Undertale is that it's extremely well written and has great music and some pretty fun gameplay.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Snake Maze posted:

My favorite part of Undertale is that it's extremely well written and has great music and some pretty fun gameplay.
The music rules and it was worth the $10 on steam I got it for but I think it's just one of those games where the fans are ruining the experience for me like old sonic games used to be

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I was sold on Undertale after the demo and played it at release, when it was still an obscure indie game and not the megahit it is now, so I guess my perspective is different, but not being able to enjoy it because too many people online like always sounds like the saddest thing. It's a single player game, you don't need to interact with those guys in any way! Just ignore the fanbase and have fun!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

I thought Undertale was cool and I really liked the bullet hell turn based battle system hybrid, makes me wonder why more turn-based RPGs don't get playful like this and blend in other genres

RPG fans don't like fun, that's why they're RPG fans

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

Idk the demons in smtv mostly just request 1 x ligma

Then they piss in my face and run away with my hard earned macca

i'm kind of joking but i swear i read something about undertale being as much inspired by SMT as it was Earthbound

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

The music rules and it was worth the $10 on steam I got it for but I think it's just one of those games where the fans are ruining the experience for me like old sonic games used to be

why do fans affect your enjoyment of something?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm kind of joking but i swear i read something about undertale being as much inspired by SMT as it was Earthbound

Oh yeah not surprised to hear this. I'm always gobsmacked at how much variety there is to the demon dialogue in smt games, some downright funny poo poo at times too. To think they were doing this and recruitable monsters since the 80s

S crazy

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're right Undertale was poo poo.

I sort of kid. I know it's popular, and I don't want to be the guy making fun of it for that. The battles were definitely not my thing, I do not like bullet-hell (one of the things putting me off of Cuphead incidentally) and the writing felt too... on-the-nose? So many lines felt like eye-winkingly "Aren't I scamp?" that it put me off pretty hard. It felt like it was trying to hard to be cute and quirky, not natural.

I only beat it once to be fair, but it certainly didn't hold me long enough to want to try again. I keep telling myself I should, maybe there's something I missed, but who has time.

Same thing happened with me and Infinite Jest. I read it and was generally unimpressed. It was fine, but I didn't get what all the noise was about. I certainly won't be re-reading it though due to length alone. Which is a pity. I don' t like feeling like I'm not getting something.

I think if the tone of the writing didn't vibe with you, you aren't going to get much out of the extra stuff in the second playthrough (though that stuff is truly great if you have a fondness for the main cast)

the best thing about the writing in Undertale is how earnest it is, so if that hits you as artificial it definitely isn't for you

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Looper posted:

why do fans affect your enjoyment of something?
I made my opinion on the game before that. The gameplay is fine, the writing wasn't for me and then for years afterwards I've had people telling me that I'm wrong and stupid for not liking it and that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I made my opinion on the game before that. The gameplay is fine, the writing wasn't for me and then for years afterwards I've had people telling me that I'm wrong and stupid for not liking it and that's why

sounds like they should turn their monitors on