Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No no I wish it was that simple. The board itself, if I leave the beeping on, will beep a few times and it probably takes a solid 3 seconds or so before you even start to get the circular dots from Windows startup. Its a NVMe drive, even my secondary is m.2 SATA. I mean all told its probably still <10 seconds but I want it to be faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Search Deflector stop working for anyone else?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

codo27 posted:

No no I wish it was that simple. The board itself, if I leave the beeping on, will beep a few times and it probably takes a solid 3 seconds or so before you even start to get the circular dots from Windows startup. Its a NVMe drive, even my secondary is m.2 SATA. I mean all told its probably still <10 seconds but I want it to be faster.

Gotcha…I tried five years ago with my new ssd/970 to bypass the mobo screen altogether, but if I wanted the BIOS organically I had to spam F2 or DEL and I ended up just adding in the (slight) delay. I can’t actually say I’ve missed those three seconds of productive computer time since then :smug: !

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Poking around the internet, it doesn't seem like the BIOS SN/UUID is really critical to have? Like, if the replacement BIOS has 0000000 it doesn't prevent the PC from functioning. The lenovo support utilities stop working, but on a 5 year old laptop I doubt you're getting hot fresh driver updates anymore, whether the auto-update utility works or not.

I dunno, I wouldn't care myself because I remove all the OEM bloatware & "support" software and just manage that stuff manually. But I bet windows update would also do just as good job as the lenovo one.

Just make sure you have all the SN info written down somewhere, so if you need to call them for support you still have the proof that this laptop has a warranty.

So I didn't realize the computer would boot without the serial number being in the BIOS. It just annoys you to death but you can ignore it.

However then all the Lenovo Vantage stuff doesn't work, as well as the "detect this machine" stuff. Believe it or not, the laptop still gets updates; there was a BIOS update like 2 weeks ago.

I usually hate OEM stuff and bloatware but I don't mind Lenovo's on their business line. None of it runs in the background and it takes up no storage at all. It's not scummy like most bloat is.

I ended up figuring it out. Here's the place to download it if anyone ever needs it: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/i7tm38us.exe

It creates a bootable USB stick and it's like deciphering a code to enter the SN properly. You have to type in 1SN then the 4 digit make code then the 4 digit model code (these can be almost impossible to find), then the 2 digit country code and then finally the serial number. :f5:

codo27 posted:

Wish I could help. I snagged a couple T590s on sale earlier this year with absolutely beautiful 4K screens, but one screen died so I contacted warranty. They said they would send a tech out (I knew they wouldn't, buttfuck nowhere), and the replacement screen came directly to me. Its just a screen, so I did it myself anyway, but instead of the usual outer bezel like was on it originally, it came with a stick on piece that was different. On the merit of the computers themselves I hold Lenovo fairly highly (lightyears, lightyears beyond the god drat HPs we used to have at my old job), but slightly concerned about their warranty services.

I still really like ThinkPads, even though this one has been giving me weird problems. I think there's some ultra sensitive fuse on the motherboard that blows out and I am not sure what causes it. Since it's such an obscure model there's not a lot of people out there talking about troubleshooting it. I actually had the sound card die on it sometime last year which I've never heard of happening in the history of computers.

I bought this thing in 2017 and upgraded the ram to 64GB for like 200 bucks because Lenovo owns and still lets you upgrade RAM instead of soldering it to the motherboard. It's the last 7 row keyboard left on the planet that I can find, especially one with a trackpoint, a thunderbolt port, 3 normal USB ports, a docking port, a full-sized SD card port, separate keys for volume/mute instead of function keys, big delete key, full-sized HDMI port, a matte touch screen, a spot for a second hard drive, full-sized ethernet port, non-chiclet keys, and so on, so this thing will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I want this thing to last me until 2030 and I'm barely exaggerating. It's literally the perfect laptop to me.

Edit : oh yeah I still have like two years left on the warranty. Best $300 decision I ever made. I think I have enough replacement keyboards to last me ten lifetimes. And they mail it to me overnight, without busting balls, and even allow me to do the install myself if I want.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 15, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

After Superfish I don't think I'd be happy to run much, if any, Lenovo software.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I bought this thing in 2017 and upgraded the ram to 64GB for like 200 bucks because Lenovo owns and still lets you upgrade RAM instead of soldering it to the motherboard.

Most of the higher models in our fleet have soldered memory, though I believe all at least have a vacant slot as well. Some 8gb models come 4 soldered 4 removeable, some 8 soldered with the slot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

After Superfish I don't think I'd be happy to run much, if any, Lenovo software.

Yeah that pissed me off and at the time I swore them off but I need my upgradeable ram and trackpoint more than my morals.

Also I think they only had it on their extremely cheap tier laptops. ThinkPads weren't effected at all (it still sucks tho).

I swore off LG televisions in like 2009 when they were caught uploading all the file names on the USB sticks and hard drives you plugged into their TVs but then ten years later I saw what oleds looked like and welp

I held out, hoping Panasonic would put out an oled TV but they never did.

codo27 posted:

Most of the higher models in our fleet have soldered memory, though I believe all at least have a vacant slot as well. Some 8gb models come 4 soldered 4 removeable, some 8 soldered with the slot.

If they're doing that with the non-s T series Thinkpads then that sucks. At least the P series should have upgradable ram for a long time in the future since they're gargantuan. I saw one the other day that had four ram slots.

When my T25 came out they said the max ram was 32gb (16x2) and I got a nice little surprise when someone in a ThinkPad group told me theirs took 64gb just fine. Which is amazing because it didn't even exist at the time for Lenovo to test it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2021

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
To be fair, given the amount of turnover in companies it wouldn't surprise me if every person at Lenovo involved in that was long gone (and working at Dell, HP, Apple, etc.).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the Wikipedia article on Superfish goes back and forth between past and present tense for the company as if they were still in business.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

tuyop posted:

Search Deflector stop working for anyone else?

Edge deflector? Microsoft basically changed their "which program is associated with this protocol" handler to ignore the association set for microsoft-edge:// and just always launches edge, which breaks the way it worked, ref ctrl.blog. We spent some time digging in debugger logs, and basically concluded that it's not fixable without getting stupid. (Daniel, the author, is my partner.)

The replacement you'll see recommended is some sort of compiled script for a hotkey tool that looks for Edge launching, and then picks out the URL from the command line parameters, kills edge again, and launches the rewritten URL. Really ugly, but I guess it works - though sadly I don't remember offhand what it's called.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Edge deflector? Microsoft basically changed their "which program is associated with this protocol" handler to ignore the association set for microsoft-edge:// and just always launches edge, which breaks the way it worked, ref ctrl.blog. We spent some time digging in debugger logs, and basically concluded that it's not fixable without getting stupid. (Daniel, the author, is my partner.)

The replacement you'll see recommended is some sort of compiled script for a hotkey tool that looks for Edge launching, and then picks out the URL from the command line parameters, kills edge again, and launches the rewritten URL. Really ugly, but I guess it works - though sadly I don't remember offhand what it's called.

That’s a real shame. Guess go back to using the start menu like it’s windows vista again or whatever. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

Am I crazy or is this exactly the kind of thing that gets companies slapped in the EU?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Am I crazy or is this exactly the kind of thing that gets companies slapped in the EU?

Microsoft literally lost an antitrust case about this (using Windows to lock people into using IE) in the mid-2000s, yes. However, the market has significantly changed since then and Edge is not the market leader by a long shot, so there’d need to be another investigation by a regulatory body to stop it now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edge was at one point a nice slick browser with Chrome extension support and good integration with Windows for SSO stuff, and then they stuffed it full of coupon garbage and nags to use Bing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arivia posted:

Microsoft literally lost an antitrust case about this (using Windows to lock people into using IE) in the mid-2000s, yes. However, the market has significantly changed since then and Edge is not the market leader by a long shot, so there’d need to be another investigation by a regulatory body to stop it now.

As I remember monopoly law, the big offense is "using dominance in one market to attempt to become dominant in another" - so the question isn't if Edge is dominant, it's if Windows is. And that's more dangerous territory for them, even if Apple and Chromebooks do exist.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It annoys me because I left chrome for edge and I was very much on the edge bandwagon but now they've made it very hard. Need to decide whether to swap to vivaldi or firefox I guess.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guys what are you talking about. Bing is irredeemable trash but they dont bug you to use it. I switch to google on a new install and thats it. The coupon thing isn't nearly as big a hindrance as everyone makes it out to be. I'm sure it can be disabled too if I bothered to look.

Meanwhile its google who bugs me to install Chrome if I open gmaps or anything like that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

Guys what are you talking about. Bing is irredeemable trash but they dont bug you to use it. I switch to google on a new install and thats it.

That's not what people are talking about. They want searches & links from the OS to open in their preferred browser, not edge. That is what MS has spent actual effort to block as hard as they can.

codo27 posted:

The coupon thing isn't nearly as big a hindrance as everyone makes it out to be. I'm sure it can be disabled too if I bothered to look.

lol why don't you go have a look and report back?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

That's not what people are talking about. They want searches & links from the OS to open in their preferred browser, not edge. That is what MS has spent actual effort to block as hard as they can.

lol why don't you go have a look and report back?

Hit your windows key and type in something you want to search. Press enter. You'll be bugged to open Edge (which will then use Bing) and there's no other option. Nothing to configure or disable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I used Firefox ever since it released because I was just so happy to get rid of Internet Explorer, and I used it for probably 15 years until they "re-did" Firefox a couple years back and destroyed compatibility with most of the add-ons. The worst one for me was them banning the TabMixPlus add-on. Basically if you have say more than 10 tabs open, it would add another vertical row. I loved that so much. But when they got rid of it, I moved to Chrome because I found it faster and there was no reason to stick to Firefox for me any longer.

I found out a few months ago that if you use Firefox Nightly (or the developer one; I think I opted to use Nightly because they said the developer version might not always be around or something? I forget), there's an an add-on called Paxmod that brings back exactly what TabMixPlus did and it's fantastic. I am not sure of the specifics as to why but apparently Paxmod won't work with regular Firefox, only Firefox Nightly. But after months of usage I am so glad I went back to Firefox (...Nightly).

I tend to have a lot of tabs open at once, especially when doing something like research on a topic, and Chrome ends up looking like this:

It drove me absolutely insane and I couldn't take it any more, and luckily saw other people who couldn't stand it either and that's when Firefox Nightly was recommended to me. So this is what tabs look like now for me in Firefox:

It's just so so much better to me. I would drive myself nuts in Chrome and Edge having to guess what a tab was before clicking it.

Other stuff was really annoying me too like how Chrome and Edge will only retain your search history for 3 months. That's pathetic in my opinion. My guess is they do this because they want people using Bing or Google to find an old site rather than just in the URL history bar. Meanwhile with Firefox I just remember one vague word from a site I visited 13 years ago and it pops up in the address bar. This has saved my rear end probably a dozen times so far.

Even little stuff like Chrome not having a title bar drives me nuts. A few weeks ago a Firefox update got rid of the title bar (without asking me :argh: ) and it drove me crazy for the two days I thought I was forced to use it without one. But Firefox owns so they let me bring it back with a simply check box in the menu that I didn't see at first.

I also noticed in the rare times I use Chrome or Edge these days, I am getting ads in Youtube even though I have uBlock Origin installed on both of them.

The only thing I will say Firefox kind of sucks at compared to Chrome or Edge is auto-filling your name, address, credit card info, etc on checkout pages. I'd say like 30% of the time Firefox just does not fill it out for me. Which is the height of laziness but there's been a time or two that it hosed me out of a PS5 preorder or whatever. But other than that I can't express how much better I find Firefox. Even little crap like there still being a drop down arrow to see previously visited sites where in Chrome and Edge I need to get my keyboard involved every time (I like to recline in my chair and just use my mouse sometimes, like I'm Hedonismbot). There's even a really cool thing in Firefox I just discovered where you can simply assign a letter to a website. For example, in the url bar usually when I type the letter f and then press enter, it will bring me to forums.somethingawful.com because it's my most visited site beginning with "f". But if I wanted to, I could tell Firefox to change it to a different site that I visit less often, like farts.com or whatever.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 16, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You people who have like 5+ tabs going at once at all times are something I hear about online often but mostly refuse to believe exist because its pure insanity

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there anything in Firefox like the Active Directory SSO that Edge has? That's the killer feature I'd have trouble leaving.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/windows-sso

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thank you!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

You people who have like 5+ tabs going at once at all times are something I hear about online often but mostly refuse to believe exist because its pure insanity

Are you also a Clean Desk, Inbox 0 guy?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Thanks Ants posted:

Edge was at one point a nice slick browser with Chrome extension support and good integration with Windows for SSO stuff, and then they stuffed it full of coupon garbage and nags to use Bing.

Also you can't uninstall it and all searches from the start menu use it.

It's like an android phone that can't be rooted and has facebook app built in for some reason.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

codo27 posted:

I have tons of tabs open of stuff I mean to get back to but don't. I recently broke a phone and lost like 40 tabs and could remember like three that were anything important.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bothers me to no end that loving phone browsers just keep tabs open and dont close them out as you open new ones. So if you dont close them out yourself you wind up like my mom who has like 400 open on her god drat ipad

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

codo27 posted:

Bothers me to no end that loving phone browsers just keep tabs open and dont close them out as you open new ones. So if you dont close them out yourself you wind up like my mom who has like 400 open on her god drat ipad

I guess you could just use duckduckgo browser. You can nuke all the tabs at once!

I like that chrome syncs back and forth with my browser though.

The only other way I can get my phone to talk to a windows machine is pushbullet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On Android, Edge has an option to start fresh if it's been closed for a while. Might be a good setting for your mom if that is available on lesser operating systems as well.

Settings -> General -> (on startup) Open a new tab page

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 16, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I deal with my tab accumulation by just bookmarking anything that I don’t want to lose track of. I’ll never get around to those tabs anyways, plus it’s fun going spelunking in my bookmarks to see what I was reading 6 months ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Well even if I were normal (which I am not), when I am doing research on something, like say hacking a game console, I can easily get 15 tabs open in no time going across different guides, PDFs, diagrams, photos, etc. So even if it were a once-a-month thing it's still annoying having no idea which tab is which site/page and having to click through all of them just to find what I am looking for. It legit slows me down by like 300%.

Uthor posted:

I have tons of tabs open of stuff I mean to get back to but don't. I recently broke a phone and lost like 40 tabs and could remember like three that were anything important.

This is what I do, and this is where I admit it's my fault because I am a hoarder and also terrified at the idea of "losing" anything. For example, I will keep a tab open for a news story I read where I want to know what ended up happening in the end (so say it's someone got arrested for something, and I wanted to know what the outcome was which might not happen for months). I also do it for things I might want to buy (but it's not on Amazon so it does not have a wish list I can save it to). I also have tabs open for how to remove your house from realtor websites, which I don't have time to do right now, but don't want to forget about doing it.

I am sure there's a better way (and if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them) but with the tabs being there and in my face, I am forced to look at them and remember "oh yeah, I gotta follow up on this". I obviously know about bookmarks, but they would then become a disorganized mess of stuff (whereas at least tabs are their own separate entities). Also since it's not in my face, I probably would never bother to look at them again once I bookmarked them and closed them.

I asked quite a few of my tech-savvy friends what they do; only one of them was a tab hoarder like me. The other ones just said "I probably would just forget about it and not care" but that's not really an option for me. No one really had a solution though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fruits of the sea posted:

I deal with my tab accumulation by just bookmarking anything that I don’t want to lose track of. I’ll never get around to those tabs anyways, plus it’s fun going spelunking in my bookmarks to see what I was reading 6 months ago.

Yeah this.

Safari and Chrome are just swollen with image links that people sent me and emails I clicked. Weird searches. Good stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Well even if I were normal (which I am not), when I am doing research on something, like say hacking a game console, I can easily get 15 tabs open in no time going across different guides, PDFs, diagrams, photos, etc. So even if it were a once-a-month thing it's still annoying having no idea which tab is which site/page and having to click through all of them just to find what I am looking for. It legit slows me down by like 300%.

A different option for what I'd call a 'mild' case of tab hoarding on firefox is Simple Tab Groups, which works basically like having another window of tabs but without the window. Put tabs in a group, when you switch to that group you get those tabs.

I use this to save a temporary collection of tabs that I'm gonna come back to, but don't need permanently. It's not a perfect extension though -- there's a bug / defect where if you open firefox in private first, then open a normal window, it fucks up the groups. Which is why I'd only recommend it to mild hoarders. (It does have an option to save daily backups tho.)

I asked quite a few of my tech-savvy friends what they do; only one of them was a tab hoarder like me. The other ones just said "I probably would just forget about it and not care" but that's not really an option for me. No one really had a solution though.

If I really cared about saving stuff and doing internet research, and had hundreds or thousands of things to bookmark, I'd pay for the industrial grade solution pinboard

I've never been tempted myself, because my needs are covered well enough by bookmarks and the STG extension. But if you really care about saving and indexing everything you see on the internet, that's the way to go.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

they added a setting to close after 1 month, 1 week, or 1 day, or never and a dialog asking how long they want to keep their tabs open in ios 13 after the upgrade

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I guess you could just use duckduckgo browser. You can nuke all the tabs at once!

On Safari on Apple stuff you can hold down on the tab switch button and it'll let you close everything.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

A different option for what I'd call a 'mild' case of tab hoarding on firefox is Simple Tab Groups, which works basically like having another window of tabs but without the window. Put tabs in a group, when you switch to that group you get those tabs.

Thanks for the advice; dumb question but how is that any different than just opening a new instance of Firefox and starting a 2nd tab "group" that way?

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

I used Firefox ever since it released because I was just so happy to get rid of Internet Explorer, and I used it for probably 15 years until they "re-did" Firefox a couple years back and destroyed compatibility with most of the add-ons. The worst one for me was them banning the TabMixPlus add-on. Basically if you have say more than 10 tabs open, it would add another vertical row. I loved that so much. But when they got rid of it, I moved to Chrome because I found it faster and there was no reason to stick to Firefox for me any longer.

I found out a few months ago that if you use Firefox Nightly (or the developer one; I think I opted to use Nightly because they said the developer version might not always be around or something? I forget), there's an an add-on called Paxmod that brings back exactly what TabMixPlus did and it's fantastic. I am not sure of the specifics as to why but apparently Paxmod won't work with regular Firefox, only Firefox Nightly. But after months of usage I am so glad I went back to Firefox (...Nightly).

I tend to have a lot of tabs open at once, especially when doing something like research on a topic, and Chrome ends up looking like this:

Why not try something like Sidebery, which is a vertical tab bar extension that uses a tree structure, then you can hide the horizontal tab bar with userchrome.css. That way you can always see the tab titles and you can minimize trees if you want to save space~

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Today I spent half an hour cleaning tabs from Firefox at the end of the day. Nice change from the Log4j cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

Firefox android just recently started to move tabs you haven't touched in a while to "inactive tabs", which are hidden behind another press in the tab switcher, and are presumably reduced to an on-disk saved state or even just the URL.