Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hot take coming through!

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1470188550943657992

seems jorp's decided to add virology and epedimiology to the list of subjects he has no clue about but wants to act like he does

Powerful Katrinka posted:

They're the replies to his tweet

No, that was a mod error when I was getting queued up for a probation. Better not get permabanned, I just got here

oh sorry i thought you meant the comments on those videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Grimdude posted:

Imo "Pick-me" is a lovely term and pretty sexist itself. Almost every instance seems to be "women who aren't liberal enough/don't believe what I think they should."

If you're a woman jorp fan you have entirely different problems other then being a "Pick-me."

FYI it gets used for guys pretty much as often. It just means someone in the comments trying to get attention from the OP or other users. lovely yes, inherently sexist probably not.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only ever heard it used derisively for "not like other girls" girls who only exist to seek out men's attention, like suggesting a woman can only be interested in motorcycles or video games or whatever because she's hoping to land a boyfriend, which is a pretty drat sexist idea.

The concept you're describing sounds more like a Reply Guy to me.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

like suggesting a woman can only be interested in motorcycles or video games or whatever because she's hoping to land a boyfriend, which is a pretty drat sexist idea.

I never turn on my mic in games because by and large the unquenchable thirst of gamers as soon as they hear a woman's voice in chat is ridiculous. Then there's the guys who will condescendingly try to teach me how to play the game as if I haven't also been gaming since I was a child.

None of my friends that game advertise it because of how utterly toxic the community is around women.

Edit: the idea that some lady would game to pick up men is pretty sad and hilarious to me given what it's like for women and girls that game.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 14, 2021

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Grimdude posted:

Imo "Pick-me" is a lovely term and pretty sexist itself. Almost every instance seems to be "women who aren't liberal enough/don't believe what I think they should."

If you're a woman jorp fan you have entirely different problems other then being a "Pick-me."

No, a Pick-Me is a woman or girl who specifically denigrates other women and girls in a bid for male attention and approval. They're the unpleasant girls who insist that they're not like other girls and aren't into shallow bitch stuff like them, I'm cool and like guy stuff like video games and I hate the mall (except if you guys are going)

They 're the high school girls that other girls don't talk to because they (the pick-me's) are just bitches; even the less "girly" girls like student athletes and weirdos don't like pick-me's

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1470283466277371909?s=20

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
Pick me girl where I am just means girls who are “not like other girls”. Usually meaning they wear Jean jackets and hang out with boys in bad bands exclusively. It seems mostly used by other women to trash them. It also almost always feels like projection a little.

It could be fresh enough that we could all be right and it just means different things in different places though.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

pop punk posted:

Pick me girl where I am just means girls who are “not like other girls”. Usually meaning they wear Jean jackets and hang out with boys in bad bands exclusively. It seems mostly used by other women to trash them. It also almost always feels like projection a little.

It could be fresh enough that we could all be right and it just means different things in different places though.

I think you're right that it means different things, cuz where I am and where I've heard it used, it refers specifically to women who don't like other women and do stuff like be nasty or even aggressive to other women and trash them to men, and make not getting with other women and a point of pride.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A word can both be misogynistic and describe misogynists reasonably accurately.

Karen comes to mind as another example

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

No, that was a mod error when I was getting queued up for a probation. Better not get permabanned, I just got here

I think describing brutal child sexual abuse should be a perma, but I guess that's why I'm not a mod.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have never heard the term "Pick Me Girl" ever before reading the thread just now and I'm still not 100% convinced it's not made up because it feels stupid as hell to say out loud.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

packetmantis posted:

I think describing brutal child sexual abuse should be a perma, but I guess that's why I'm not a mod.

It was a very broad description of why a particular film is so infamous that it's known by name, but some of my phrasing was poorly-chosen

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Who What Now posted:

I have never heard the term "Pick Me Girl" ever before reading the thread just now and I'm still not 100% convinced it's not made up because it feels stupid as hell to say out loud.

Afaik its a term that really only exists on twitter and IG, which are bad and not good.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

Afaik its a term that really only exists on twitter and IG, which are bad and not good.

the "pick me girl" label has been around for decades

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

Poohs Packin posted:

I don’t look at social media and it’s very big right now.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Good chat, team. Learning lots.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pick me girls are basically what happens when you cross NLOGs and Nice Guys. Here's a good video about the whole thing

Like about 90% of our new memes and language, it was a Black thing for a million years and then all of a sudden white people yoinked it without fully understanding the context, so, much like Karen before it, it has been stretched into "Woman I don't like."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It was a very broad description of why a particular film is so infamous that it's known by name, but some of my phrasing was poorly-chosen

Don't pay attention to packetmantis, they love popping up in random threads and declaring people they don't like to be fascists or pedophiles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't pay attention to packetmantis, they love popping up in random threads and declaring people they don't like to be fascists or pedophiles.

Leave me the gently caress alone you goddamn creep.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thread has got pretty weird recently. Post more Jorp content, like this démonstration of not understanding how numbers work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1470622685139021826

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've only ever heard it used derisively for "not like other girls" girls who only exist to seek out men's attention, like suggesting a woman can only be interested in motorcycles or video games or whatever because she's hoping to land a boyfriend, which is a pretty drat sexist idea.

The concept you're describing sounds more like a Reply Guy to me.

I'm reminded of that one 'feminist' who said that girls are only supporting Bernie Sanders to impress boys.

That said, 'Pick-me' I've seen used to refer to not just women; can be minorities/oppressed people in general who try to get the approval of bigots for whatever brokebrained reason, either respectability politics poisoning or just wanting to be 'one of the good ones' and gain power over others.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of that one 'feminist' who said that girls are only supporting Bernie Sanders to impress boys.

That said, 'Pick-me' I've seen used to refer to not just women; can be minorities/oppressed people in general who try to get the approval of bigots for whatever brokebrained reason, either respectability politics poisoning or just wanting to be 'one of the good ones' and gain power over others.

That was Gloria Steinem lol.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
"Read it and weep" - A person who should definitely be taken seriously

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Thread has got pretty weird recently. Post more Jorp content, like this démonstration of not understanding how numbers work:

Wow you mean to tell me that you are more likely to die of covid if it puts you into the hospital than if it doesn't?!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wow you mean to tell me that you are more likely to die of covid if it puts you into the hospital than if it doesn't?!

Didn't he make a similar "point" before, that people who are hospitalized are more likely to die than people who aren't? And then claimed it's because doctors are killing people? Instead of, ya know, people are hospitalized BECAUSE they're at a greater risk of permanent health problems/death?

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Catpain Slack posted:

"Read it and weep" - A person who should definitely be taken seriously

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

my favorite part is that the author is a.. cattle farmer.
edit: sorry, a grass fed cattle farmer. it would be negligent of me to leave that part out I'm sure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thunderspanks posted:

my favorite part is that the author is a.. cattle farmer.
edit: sorry, a grass fed cattle farmer. it would be negligent of me to leave that part out I'm sure.

Wait, are the cattle grass fed or is the cattle farmer?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

knox_harrington posted:

I don't understand what about this is supposed to make me weep

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Who What Now posted:

I don't understand what about this is supposed to make me weep

how boring it is

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cant believe that being hospitalized means im closer to death than if i can recover at home

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, are the cattle grass fed or is the cattle farmer?

both

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Jordan Peterson can and should eat a huge pile of poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Jordan Peterson can and should eat a huge pile of poo poo.

His own turds probably are probably still classified as USDA Grade-B beef

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Jordan Peterson has convinced me, human beings are nothing more but horrible animals who deserve to go extinct.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Ah, the Turducken of internet idiots. A Jorlinfo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/LizRummy/status/1472628555167285254?s=20

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

J-just use one of your other computers then?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

J-just use one of your other computers then?

get a load of this dirty-room-haver who wastes perfectly good benzo and steak money on superfluous computer machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

With what I paid for an expensive gaming rig I could've bought 2 days-worth of benzos.