Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sometimes I wish my head wasn't full of all this stupid rear end Harry Potter lore.

Here's to wasted youth.

The thing I really miss about it is my younger sister and I bonding over it. She'd get the books as they came out, she'd read it, I'd read it when she was done, we'd be excited about it together. She wasn't a big reader as a kid (while I was the type to devour every book I could get my hands on) and we could actually fight a lot, more than with my other siblings, but this was our thing that we had in common.

She's a Gryffindor, I'm a Ravenclaw.

I haven't really discussed Rowling's heel turn with her because I know she's genuinely still really emotionally invested in the books, but she's also not openly transphobic so maybe she just has a different way of processing it, and I'm a little afraid to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The rape thing is worse but it's really funny that the NYC jewish sisters in Fantastic Beasts have the same name as the one (unspeaking) jewish kid at Hogwarts. The Goldsteins are the only wizarding jews.

At least Goldstein is a real name though. Here's to you, Cho Chang.

Also, the villain of FB is the dude implied in the books to be puppeteering Hitler. Except he wants to... stop the Holocaust? The actual Secret of Dumbledore is gonna be he was on the pro-Hitler side.

Sometimes I wish my head wasn't full of all this stupid rear end Harry Potter lore.

How did the whole Cho Chang thing end up anyway? Like I remember Harry had a crush on her, they had one date where she was talking about her dead boyfriend but I don’t remember if it was handled maturely or not.

Like was it “oh right, her boyfriend was murdered last spring and I was the only other witness maybe we’re not in a super healthy place for this” or “that BITCH just wanted to USE me”?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

How did the whole Cho Chang thing end up anyway? Like I remember Harry had a crush on her, they had one date where she was talking about her dead boyfriend but I don’t remember if it was handled maturely or not.

Like was it “oh right, her boyfriend was murdered last spring and I was the only other witness maybe we’re not in a super healthy place for this” or “that BITCH just wanted to USE me”?

Cho's friend snitched on their secret stuff and he never forgave her for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

e: never mind.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Splicer posted:

What happens if they want to cut a scene or something?

They do it and then an idiot realizes they just own a pointless digital receipt that means nothing.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

christmas boots posted:

No exploration or even acknowledgment of shared trauma. It came down to "she's too sad and weepy and it's bumming me out" and then the friend who was a snitch thing happened, and she was entirely dropped as a character.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lol
Cho Chang

You think she thought of Hong Bong first before coming up with that name?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you did a children's fantasy book about war that actually acknowledged trauma, that would be Animorphs. And we all know Rowling can't write anything near as good as Animorphs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hihohe posted:

Lol
Cho Chang

She actually did a lot of careful cultural research. Hours of pulling her eyelids back in front of a mirror went into that character.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The rape thing is worse but it's really funny that the NYC jewish sisters in Fantastic Beasts have the same name as the one (unspeaking) jewish kid at Hogwarts. The Goldsteins are the only wizarding jews.

At least Goldstein is a real name though. Here's to you, Cho Chang.

Also, the villain of FB is the dude implied in the books to be puppeteering Hitler. Except he wants to... stop the Holocaust? The actual Secret of Dumbledore is gonna be he was on the pro-Hitler side.

i mean same only its dark souls and bloodborne lore and i don't have the excuse of youth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like growing eyes on the inside of your brain but in real life.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hihohe posted:

Lol
Cho Chang

Taiwan Tammy was already taken:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wasn't Cho Chang supposed to be from the Japanese school? Is Chang even a Japanese name?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thinkable of Asia has one school

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Of course it does.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, that Scottish lady is an idiot and she can't stay off social media, but endless wizard chat is not so much what people come to this thread for?

Here's an idiot being quoted on social media:

https://twitter.com/people/status/1471162234856525826

Yes, who could have expected a show called "The Biggest Loser" to "gamify weight loss"? THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY JILLIAN MICHAELS COULD HAVE KNOWN

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CharlestheHammer posted:

IIRC its name was also just "magic school" but in Japanese.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's unthinkable!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Cho Chang is supposed to be Chinese and Chang is indeed a valid surname, it's just her given name that's dumb because it's also a surname. At least name her after a flower or something.

All of east Asia getting one school is even dumber though, there's so much bad blood between those nations IRL plus the language and culture differences that make it super clear that Rowling made that poo poo up off the top of her head.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tarezax posted:

Cho Chang is supposed to be Chinese and Chang is indeed a valid surname, it's just her given name that's dumb because it's also a surname. At least name her after a flower or something.

All of east Asia getting one school is even dumber though, there's so much bad blood between those nations IRL plus the language and culture differences that make it super clear that Rowling made that poo poo up off the top of her head.

Going to also guess that JK originally didn't include Cho and that was an editor that got her added.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, that Scottish lady is an idiot and she can't stay off social media, but endless wizard chat is not so much what people come to this thread for?

Here's an idiot being quoted on social media:

https://twitter.com/people/status/1471162234856525826

Yes, who could have expected a show called "The Biggest Loser" to "gamify weight loss"? THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY JILLIAN MICHAELS COULD HAVE KNOWN

okay for a second I thought 'wait what's wrong with this, she's right' and then I realized she was the loving host

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely thought it was like 'I was there for a season and bounced because yea that poo poo sucks' not 'hey guys this show I made my career on may have been bad, oopsie doopsie'

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Let's not gloss over Irish student Seamus Finnegan who sets things on fire and makes accidental bombs in potions class

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sexpig by night posted:

okay for a second I thought 'wait what's wrong with this, she's right' and then I realized she was the loving host

She was a trainer, not host.

If you read the article, the gamification she didn't like was there was an elimination aspect and she also (rightly I think) didn't like that the show didn't provide mental health support to contestants.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

sexpig by night posted:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's one wizard school each for Britain, France, Russia, the rest of Europe, all of Asia, all of Africa, and all of the Americas.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Canonically the school in Asia has the smallest student body as well. So 4.5 billion people are served by a school smaller than the one serving a population of 60 million.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The African school iirc is named a mangled version of the capital of Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou. Like she just went "haha funy word"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

There's one wizard school each for Britain, France, Russia, the rest of Europe, all of Asia, all of Africa, and all of the Americas.

Aren’t the houses of the American wizard school named Native American cultural things that made everyone cringe because Rowling was trying to go for “look at how woke I am” and landed in “look at how ignorantly racist I am” instead?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eating only apples posted:

The African school iirc is named a mangled version of the capital of Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou. Like she just went "haha funy word"

The English school is named after a pig with venereal disease :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Now I am imagining that Thomas Sankara was assassinated by a liberal wizard coup and the government covered it up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Aren’t the houses of the American wizard school named Native American cultural things that made everyone cringe because Rowling was trying to go for “look at how woke I am” and landed in “look at how ignorantly racist I am” instead?

One of her vintage IOSMs from before the mask came fully off was explaining that the locals couldn't do real magic until the colonizer wizards showed up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The English school is named after a pig with venereal disease :shrug:

I mean, there’s all sorts of filthy-named places in the UK, so that one at least actually tracks :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of her vintage IOSMs from before the mask came fully off was explaining that the locals couldn't do real magic until the colonizer wizards showed up

Oof.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yikes-a-Doodle Dandy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

There is a Harry Potter thread for talking poo poo if you want: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919233

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

don't try to humanize her, she doesn't deserve it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nine-gear crow posted:

In small fairness, Americans named tons of poo poo using Native American words, while actively , I could absolutely see American wizards naming their wizard school something Native American and also being whites only until 80s (kinda suspect American wizards wouldn't recognize Brown v Board of Education).

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Dec 15, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

In small fairness, Americans named tons of poo poo using Native American words, while actively , I could absolutely see American wizards naming their wizard school something Native American and also being whites only until 80s (kinda suspect American wizards wouldn't recognize Brown v Board of Education).

"The sorting headdress put me in Wampum house"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Remember when the movies had a black character but as soon as they reached the movie where she actually was part of the plot they recast her with a white girl?